Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The quotes at the end of the OP are... so weird to me. I dunno, I really enjoyed The End of Time as a big, fun finale. The Master's scheme and the way it played out was stupid and silly, but I thought that was more to its benefit than anything else.

If anything, I liked Part 1 more than Part 2. I'm not entirely sure I understood how Rassilon's plan to break free from the time bubble worked, especially with the part where he threw a gem at a hologram... and it somehow got out of the bubble and suddenly it was crash landing on Earth? The stuff with the drums inside the Master's head was kinda weird with its circular logic as well, but at least that part made sense in a predetermined time travel-y way.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'm a tiny bit behind, but good Lord was Orphan 55 a goddamn trainwreck. A messy, incoherent trainwreck that was like four different trains all piled up together.

And it was good because of how bad it was, in my opinion. Orphan 55 was ludicrously, objectively terrible in pretty much every metric, but hell at least that meant things were happening. With no connective tissue, mind, and the ending monologue of "actually it was all about climate change" was so absurdly stupid and out of nowhere that I enjoyed it. It's the kinda episode I can see myself rewatching at some point, just to show people how bad it is. I sure wouldn't want to watch it on my own ever again, mind.

Is it the worst episode under Chibnall so far? Oh, easily. But I'd still say it's preferable to The Tsuranga Conundrum or The Witchfinders. Which were... fine I suppose, but really kinda eh, overall.

That it was penned by the same writer as It Takes You Away is all the more impressive, really. it's like he had a bunch of ideas for potentially good episodes, but was only allowed to write one, so he just threw 'em all in a blender and went with what came out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I've only listened to it once, but I think Spare Parts is probably my favorite Cybermen story. I think that's a pretty common opinion though, if I remember stuff that I skimmed in the old thread right.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Donna being so... Donna was one of the best parts of s4, and that series was pretty drat great.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Love and Monsters is bad, but it's entertainingly bad. Technically, yeah, it's probably one of the worst episodes of modern Who and the worst episode of its season. In practice, there's stuff that's like more competent but actively worse because it just does nothing or has worse characters or what have you. Like, even in season 2 alone, I would not call Love and Monsters worse than the 45 minute long waste of everyone's time that was Fear Her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, I'm still (slowly) working through the older modern episodes and am in series 7 now. In particular, I just finished watching Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and was quite possibly irrationally excited for an episode with that title. Then I saw it was written by Chibnall and got quite worried, for... let's say, understandable reasons. And then the episode was amazing. It was the exact kind of dumb, shlocky fun that the show excels at. It's like, yeah, Chibnall can do good episodes once in a while; they're just quite rare, I guess.