Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Matt Smith's second episode was about how British Society is built on the back of terrible suffering and our leaders encourage our complacency and complicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sorry, just blurted that out apropos of nothing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mr.Flibble posted:

We've had an episodes devoted to hating on Donald Trump and Amazon just to name couple, but of course I'm a bigot/dumb because I dare disagree with direction the show is going right now, grow up!

As I recall, the Amazon episode came down firmly on the side of Amazon

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Probably the time lords cured that as well as his skeleton face thing before they kicked him out.

"It was a mutual kicking me out."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rhyno posted:

The last time the Doctor was on a vessel that crashed he was hurt so badly he needed a magic potion to jumpstart the regeneration.

I think I heard that the novelisation of Day Of The Doctor retconned that- the regeneration was already about to begin and they were just psyching him up to regenerate into the kind of person he needed to be, and the "potion" was lemonade

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Moffat’s problem was that he kept going back to the exact same wells time and time again and each revisit was shittier than the last.

What an apropos of nothing post

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I've only managed to catch the first ep of Dracula so far, but I can certainly see Moffat in the writing, for better and for worse. There are some good twists at the end, some based on what the viewer expects from Dracula, and seemingly also based on what the viewer expects from Moffat(there's a bit that very much seems to anticipate the viewer saying "this is done by the writer of Doctor Who so I know how this will go") but also there are some quite effective horror scenes kind of undercut by quippish dialogue, and the pacing went a bit mad towards the end. I thought we were about to hit "end of episode 1" maybe 20 minutes before we actually did. I enjoyed it though, and I'm looking forward to getting an hour and a half free to watch the next one :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Narsham posted:

There are foundational moral problems in a show of this kind where the main character can actually steer the TARDIS. Why not rescue every single person from the concentration camps and drop them on another planet? Why not save everyone from every disaster? The “drastic alteration to the timeline” excuse seems both to hold true and to get entirely ignored.

Hence the Doctor's epiphany back in Death In Heaven: "I am an idiot!" ie "I have ultimate power but I don't have the right to use it, because I'm just some rear end in a top hat." It's something that has to be built in to a show like this because who the character is, and therefore what real-life atrocity they may want to erase, is at the mercy of whoever is writing them

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A wet fart is like, not even one of the good kinds of fart. Like if it had to be a fart it could have been a way better fart than this

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Time travel has never really been coherent in the series anyway, that's what Steven Moffat's "big ball of timey wimey stuff" line was all about. Sometimes it's all an unchangeable loop like in Blink, sometimes you aren't allowed to change the future despite prior knowledge like in Pompeii, sometimes you change the future just by being there like in The Long Game>Bad Wolf. If you're a Doylist you'd say the rules of time travel are whatever the plot needs them to be, if you're a Watsonian you could say there are no rules to time travel because time isn't expecting you to travel through it and doesn't know how to handle it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My favourite time travel nonsense in the show is the completely unmentioned stuff in the Capaldi era. Basically, by the end of Twice Upon A Time, the entire series of Doctor Who turns out to have been a self-causation loop of such audacious scale that it somehow incorporates three separate timelines. Just entirely offscreen, maybe not even intentional.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

She didn't get as much focus as she should have in her last episode, because Moffat thought it was also Capaldi's and his last episode so he focused on the Doctor for a big statement about the character, then it turned out he was doing the Christmas special too and could have saved all the Doctor navel-gazing for that. As it was, Bill's final episode sold her short a bit and the Doctor's final episode just spent an hour spinning its wheels because we've already said what we want to say. Oh well!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Has anyone from the pre-Chibnall years come back?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One of the prop/set designers, or possibly the lead or only one? Either way he posted here, and the spoken intro was originally going to be seen written on a wall, and you can actually see it in a couple of scenes, but it didn't look good or something so they just had Capaldi narrate it. That dude did a huge amount of stuff that got half a second of screen time, iirc he was pretty good natured about it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Presumably the episode where Bill needed space explained to her was episode 5, which involves space a lot

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Moffat seems to really like the Cybermen, and he really likes giving them new gimmicks every time they turn up, even when it's a short cameo like in The Pandorica Opens.

The androids from The Girl In The Fireplace are basically Cybermen too, when you think about it.

Their successors in Deep Breath even more so! I think they're probably his most-used monster overall

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I haven't watched anything post-Moffat yet (I don't get BBC America and I'm not about to pay or risk a stern letter about piracy from my ISP in order to watch Chris Chibnall online) but reading about this episode is the first time I really want to, just to see how insane the actual episode is

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Remember that quite nice line in Twice Upon A Time where the First Doctor talks about wanting to live and die as himself

Remember the glimpse of the Doctor's childhood in Listen, where he was lonely and frightened and the adults talked about how useless he was

Remember all those lines about how the Doctor and the Master played together as children

How many moments from the show are now retroactively weird as gently caress because the character was actually a million billion years old and had burned through dozens of regenerations already

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Davros refers to the Daleks as his children, so the Doctor effectively being the genesis of all Time Lords makes her a thematic mirror to Davros. Of course, in Journey's End the Doctor was already a thematic mirror to Davros with the companions as his "children" but whatever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

River Song can regenerate because she was conceived on the Tardis while it was in flight

quote:

DOCTOR: But she's human. She's Amy and Rory's daughter.
VASTRA: You've told me about your people. They became what they did through prolonged exposure to the time vortex. The Untempered Schism.
DOCTOR: Over billions of years. It didn't just happen.
VASTRA: So how close is she? Could she even regenerate?

This whole thing is either going to be retconned or revealed to be false as part of a bigger reveal in the next step in Chibnall's five year plan. It's too insane to just be what it looks like on the surface

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

GENERAL: It's delusional. The calculations alone would take hundreds of years.

DOCTOR: Oh, hundreds and hundreds. But don't worry, I started a very long time ago.
*all the Doctor's previous Tardises vworp in*
DOCTOR: You might say I've been doing this all my lives!
I might not say that any more!

DoctorWhat posted:

Heaven Sent takes place in a closed loop. It's not media literate to interpret it as "killing" the Doctor a billion times.
The Doctor's old body is destroyed when his new one is teleported in, consuming him as fuel to complete the process ("all you need for energy is something to burn") so even if you do see it as him being killed a billion times... he's being reborn from himself, a phoenix rising from his own ashes. He's basically just doing a Tennant hand thing and regenerating into himself

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 2, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Steven Moffat erased the regeneration limit. It's gone. The last we ever had to hear of it was Rassilon saying "how many regenerations did we grant you?" a question that was never answered

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I saw a screenshot of the Time Lord Cybermen and it looked delicious. Reason 2 to check this episode out.

Presumably future series will explore where the Doctor actually came from, right?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There was like, one episode where he had to kill himself to save the universe and then it turned out there were a bunch of messages from people offering to help him because of all the good he'd done. Also another episode where his timeline got deleted and a bunch of stars went out because of all the worlds he now never saved. Hardly "constant" and frankly a continuation of the Russell T Davies years

Man must Clara have been surprised when she jumped into the Doctor's timeline, got back to the First Doctor and then realised the timeline kept going.

E: Heaven Sent is now a metaphor for the series as a whole. We follow the character from a certain point and then suddenly realise the one we've been following is the seven thousandth iteration of basically the same thing

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 3, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The current showrunner has rewritten the backstory of a 57 year old show in a way which clashes with the plots of a number of previous episodes, to suit his own tastes. That's bound to rub people the wrong way. He presumably has a lot of confidence that he can stick the landing with this, so I guess let's wait and see for the next series in... 2022 or so?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Probably it'll turn out whatever race the Doctor actually comes from is evil, so the Doctor can still be a self-made good person and all that. Like Rey being nice even though her grandad is the emperor

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Force Awakens is RTD's big emotions schtick without his focus on political and social issues

Last Jedi is Moffat's fondness for writerliness and playing with story elements and structure, without his sitcom-honed talent for snappy dialogue

Rise Of Skywalker is a list of things Bob Iger wrote on a napkin while having a fit of madness and handed to the scriptwriter and said "make sure all these are in the movie" and I'm not qualified to say how applicable that is to Chibs

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's the closest thing to a name for the Doctor's species, I guess

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's funny because I was always under the impression that Moff was telling us that Amy Pond/Clara Oswald was the most important and precious person in the entire universe, which is probably what ended up making me and others absolutely loathe their characters after a while.

They were important in that they were friends with the main character of the show, I guess

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That was his final episode, and Moffat wrote it into the story- the Doctor smuggles the Tardis into a restricted zone where technology isn't allowed by shaving his head and stashing a key in his wig

E: he later admits that his "clever plan" to get into the restricted zone was actually just a happy accident and he'd shaved his head out of boredom. Man I miss Matt Smith!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man I think she was. Duelling baldies.

Apropos of nothing, a bit of dialogue from the Magician's Apprentice prequel/minisoode that I got reminded of:

quote:

OHILA: He has asked to see you. His servants seek you everywhere. Will you go?
DOCTOR: No.
OHILA: Why do you always lie?
DOCTOR: Why do you always assume I'm lying?
OHILA: It saves time. The truth - will you go?
OHILA: When?
DOCTOR: Soon.
OHILA: Why? Did something happen?
OHILA: Was it recent?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Eaters Of Light was a sad one, because it was written by the same person who wrote the last story of the old series, and I don't think it actually beat that story's ratings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man if this series is even better than Capaldi's first two then I really should get to watching it