Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

BF announced the new season of Eighth Doctor Adventures, following on from "Ravenous".

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-stranded-1-2169

"Stranded"- The Doctor, Liv, and Helen find themselves without the TARDIS, having to live out their days in the Doctor's residence on Baker St, in London 2020.

And the Doctor gets a new friend, the former PC, now Sergeant, Andy Davidson, from Torchwood!

Wonder what this means for him and Yvonne? :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

You're right that Eternal Summer's final reveals are for crap, but you're wrong that they're not foreshadowed. Only the foreshadowing happens in one of the first two parts of The Castle Of Fear, and it's so quick that it's honestly baffling as to why they bothered.

Mark Morris has never written a good Who story. This one is probably his best, unfortunately.

Oh, and I actually really like Castle Of Fear, probably prefer it to Eternal Summer. It's a lot of dumb fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I find 14s constant "I don't know" and "I dont understand"-ing really annoying. It feels very un-Doctory to be constantly admitting a gap in her knowledge like that. I'm all for the Doctor being stunned and confused when something bonkers happens (and Tennant's "what?!?" face is almost as good as Whittakers) but it just gets tiresome when it happens all the time.

It's kind of funny, but I generally dislike it when Tom Baker or David Tennant end up standing around giving speeches about the sentient slug people they've just encountered as if they're the basis behind every dark legend that underpins society. Particularly since neither those legends or those slug people are even seen or heard from again.

My favourite part of the Virgin era (and to a lesser extent, the BBC books era) was that certain writers would try and take those myths and legends and use them as background radiation to inform the tapestry of the work. Made all those spoooõoky legends about the cosmic grasp of whatever or whoever Tom Baker fought that one time actually have some weight to them.

Set Piece, Ace's departure story, is a secret Sutekh story, but neither he nor do any of the elements from Pyramids of Mars make an appearance. Fear Itself is a dalek and ice warrior story, but neither are mentioned by name, and a shadow of an ice warrior turns up maybe once.

I dunno, I see it as adding to the mystery and supporting the integrity of the setting a bit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Only really just occurred to me that the Master probably believes with all his hearts that the Doctor "stole" the idea of regenerating into a woman from him.

I hope this means Sascha Darwan is more likely to be the next Doctor, rather than less.

(it means less)

Always loved the actor. Excellent since the first thing I saw him in that Worst Witch sequel series where they go to college and oh god that show was terrible

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Going all the way back to series 1 of the revival, it's interesting with modern knowledge to look at their scorn that no-one can "own the internet".

At the show's scorn? I dunno.

I think the episode makes it clear that Rose is being naive when she says that. Van Statten's an overconfident egoist, but he's smart and competent too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'm actually happy people are now defending the Master as a gal trying her best to change. It's a far cry from the HE CAN'T BE A WOMAN bullshit that happened at the time.

I mean, it's not like these are the same people? The latter crowd, those who haven't just given up, still make themselves heard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah even in part one he seems pissed that the Doctor rumbles his identity. Almost entirely because it was mere seconds before he got to break the illusion himself. And that was when he was at the top of his game.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Barrowman has said he'll come back any time, they just haven't called him.

Yeah, just look at how enthusiastic he is for Torchwood, he's written stuff himself now, and roped both his sister and Gareth David-Lloyd into writing for it too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good, if almost entirely for the sick joke with the teleporter. It's meant to be a holiday but it ends up as the most harrowing experience under Chibnall Who, and then they turn back up in the TARDIS like no time has passed. Then the Doctor just says "pull yourself together, or tough titties".

Narsham posted:

Mother-daughter angst isn’t thematically meaningful!

The episode was trying to make a connection between parental abandonment (all the kids in the episode, even Ryan, have absent or neglectful parents) and the idea of an Orphan world, which is itself as much abandoned (by the rich and powerful, so not exactly parents) as it is a forbidden planet. I think it's a bit of a long bow to draw, but it's clearly intentional.

The domed resort ends up being a pretty nasty bit of satire as well, if also fairly obvious. Laura Fraser has decided to reinvigorate the planet Earth, and the first thing she does is reinstate a system of haves and have nots.

That said it's probably best not to think too hard about the dregs being a race of climate refugees who are trying to break through a wall to safety / comfort and must therefore be shot on sight.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

That should have made the terrorist the good guy.

Wasn't she?

Her mother was trying to commit genocide.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

They finally found common ground when they decided to die doing what they both loved: killing the natives of a planet they were exploiting for their own personal goals.

TBH, this read only enhances the final scene rather than detracts from it.

Climate refugees eat idle rich. Happy endings all round.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I agree with this. The message was fine, but humanity and its future has been flushed out enough that to make it earth was just rewriting the rules. They could have made it a different planet and still pointed out the impact it could have on our world.

There's the Nerva beacon era, so it's not like the Earth hasn't been rendered unihabiywble and repopulated before. You could just about squint and make it the same process, only Ark In Space / Sontaran Experiment happened after the innevitable terraforming.

Or maybe this depopulation happens way closer to the year 5 billion, given that Hyph3n seemed to be very much of the RTD school of future history, as did the pushy computer voice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Actually, the episode, and the hopper particularly, reminded me a lot of Farscape. But I really liked it tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
dregrogatory

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah I loved it. Big fan of that big nonsense. Best episode of the Chibnall era IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Hey as least nothing is quite as bad as The Unicorn and the Wasp, where the Doctor declares,"Only Agathie Christie can solve this mystery!" and then practically shoves her out of the way to solve the mystery himself instead.

Yeah, but it only makes that episode funnier tbh. Gareth Roberts has always written like a psychopath, he couldn't give a single poo poo about most of his characters. They're either there for mockery or for murder. (Craig and Sophie, weirdly, being the exception, though even they end up raising a fascist dictator).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

How dare you criticise Gareth Roberts, Graham Linehan's favourite Doctor Who writer and victim of the woke SJW Stasi.

You're right, I see that now. Gareth Roberts has truly suffered even more than anyone who's tried reading Gareth Robert's seminal Doctor Who New Adventure, Zamper!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ubik_Lives posted:

I’m imagining that seconds before that scene, the Doctor gave Kahn a speech about how the future has a united Europe, working for the betterment of them and the world, and that no matter how bad it gets, she can take comfort in knowing that the light will prevail over the dark.

Misinterpreted this to be about Ghengis Khan, and now I'm sad that something that batshit and hilarious didn't happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that's genuinely terrible. No one's actually gonna use that, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Why not an alternate universe Master though? All he'd have to do was assume the Doctor had regenerated. It's not like that Master mentioned anything about being Missy or what have you.

I wonder if we're looking at a multi-lane pile up on a highway, only with alternative universes and alternative timelords?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I unironically like the Looms. Never got why people didn't like them. All Marc Platt's Gallifreyian history rules.

Oh, and timelords do gently caress. They just can't carry pregnancies to term, so they use the Looms as a substitute.

Though, of course, the second book to use the Looms in any capacity actually solved this problem, rendering Looms redundant so...

Jeffe posted:

I think in the end they tried to say the Time Lords (or at least the Doctors) were really sentient crystals modeled after the Doctor and stuff, so whatever, that all got pretty nutty, and I doubt Chibnall would be aware of all that.

Sometimes Never... was a pretty big book at the time. He'd probably have read it.

That said, The Gallifrey Chronicles undoes that explanation (which exists entirely to fix up a plot hole) about five books later.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 28, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jeffe posted:

Did anyone ever finally get it out of Mad Larry who the Enemy were supposed to be?

Sorta. Miles wanted to release a book that contained the revelation, but kinda like how Clue was originally released, they'd actually be twelve(!) different versions of the revelation in twelve different releases of the otherwise same book. Fandom would have to choose which one they preferred, or accept that all of them happened.

He's only revealed one version of the prospective reveals, and it was time-active space whales, presumably the same ones from the then-unreleased Song Of The Megaptera by Pat Mills.

Weird, but he made Krotons work so...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if the show's gonna have an explanation that reaches back into the classic series. Seems a little too complicated.

That said, they brought back Jack and he's not been around since, what, 2010? Though he was also a)part of the new show and b) a lead on a relatively popular spinoff.

But yeah, anything more complicated than "before the classic series" is, I reckon, out of the ballpark. So it's probably not a Season 6b plot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god. Might the Ruth Doctor be Graham’s type?

I think, if anything, they're both each other's type.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I hope either it's something morally awful, like not giving the One Good Cyberman a hug or a treaty or a holiday house or something, or just something really ridiculous, like Bundt Cake. In order to bring attention to the fact that our lives are meaningless and random tangle of interesting arbitrary events. Obviously.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Clara was great as soon as they got past that impossible poo poo. I was sad to see her go. I've really soured on Bill over the last two years.

Yeah she's not been pulling her weight these last few episodes.

(Actually, what changed your mind tho. Normally distance makes me like a companion or an era more. Case in point, last night i went back and rewatched Last Christmas and ended up binging a bunch of season 9, and it's really enjoyable in a way I didn't appreciate last time through).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I thought being absorbed into a personality destroying puddle of space piss was absolutely the worst ending to a companion since Peri maybe married Brian Blessed.

It's just loving terrifying tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And actor Sam Kisgart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No one, though I'm guessing Matheson is working on one of Toby Whithouse's two new shows, since he'd otherwise have done nothing since his last Who script four years ago. :(

You'd think Chibbers would at least get Catherine Treganna back, since they've worked an awful lot previously, and she's good, and clearly likes Who.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's also, like, the dumbest person alive. Tasked with watching the birds, instead of staying next to the door or on the safe side of the transparent door, he walks right up to the death squall and waits around. Whoops.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

They always have a ridiculously fast turnaround on the Lives boxsets. They announce them the month before they come out.

Wonder what's taking them so long on the new Torchwood seasons though. (Which are really really good btw, somehow Torchwood is easily the best / only thing worth listening to from BF these days).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, so I know this thread talks a lot about sloppy or lazy writing or whatever we're calling it, but is there anything worse that Bill's introductory story making a big deal about how much she loves scifi and then her very next episode see her needing literally everything about space explained to her?

I don't think it ever comes up again.

Davros1 posted:

Sometimes ... Masterful doesn't come out until Jan 2021

Masterful isn't a Lives of Captain Jack boxset though?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Moffat seems to really like the Cybermen, and he really likes giving them new gimmicks every time they turn up, even when it's a short cameo like in The Pandorica Opens.

The androids from The Girl In The Fireplace are basically Cybermen too, when you think about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has the Who elder gods lore ever worked very well?

I mean, Curse of Fenric, Greatest Show in the Galaxy and even The Magic Mousetrap are very good stories, but they keep their villains largely offscreen.

The stories that trade on that expanded lore, or try to play on their villains as active presences, don't really work.

Fake Edit: actually, Enlightenment is pretty good, and it's probably the biggest single contribution to the lore from the original series. Are there any others?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Tom Price stuff is more interesting to me tbh, because of how it might impact the Torchwood range.

Which is, no joke, the best thing BF have made in about ten years and probably their most consistent range ever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was pretty loving good. Also it looked gorgeous, standing out even in an era that I think is the best Who has ever looked.

I love the way the episode handled its cast, gave them all little bits of weirdness and characterisation despite basically being a huge loving cast. (Compare that with Praxeus, which did not manage that at all).

That Cyberman design was fantastic too. More of a body builder body type too, which I think worked. Massive shoulders work well on Cybermen. And the bit where the episode turned over the cliched "the person who is possessed is actually a decent human being after all" was pretty fun. Genuinely intimidating.

Gravastars posted:

Basically, more of this whole episode please.

You may just get your wish:

https://twitter.com/CompanionsOfWho/status/1229162548504735744/photo/1

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 17, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Cyberwoman, but, yeah, it's not actually very good at all.

The insanity contained in that first season of Torchwood is beautiful to watch play out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Torchwood. It's bad, sometimes, but in ways I find very charming, and it's only very rarely boring.

The entire thing is camp as hell though, even the third season, so I reckon you've got to have the right mindset to enjoy the show.

I appreciate that the show is essentially about incompetent people as much as it is itself incompetent. Throw in the monumental amounts of death and a lot of horniness and you've got the kind of hot mess that Lexx was, only with a slightly more appealing cast.

In the end, I think it's a show that was capable of being very good television when it wanted to be, but I don't think it wanted to be that at all. It mostly wanted to be a self-parody.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love that Torchwood has an episode where the afterlife is utterly, totally and 100% definitely concluded to be a horrible neverending hellscape of nothing forever, only for the next episode to reveal that Heaven Is Real, Actually. And then it goes straight back to there being nothing after death.

You'd have an alien invasion followed by an episode about rehousing people followed by a cop show detective mystery followed by a wedding farce.

Edward Mass posted:

Torchwood was the kind of show you'd have expected in the late 90's/early 00's on HBO or Showtime, but tied into the world of Doctor Who.

Showtime. Absolutely Showtime.

Kinda unsurprising that it was picked up by Starz really, given that it's spent most of its existence trying to be Showtime from the late 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I found Class inoffensive, although I was disappointed it went to audio plays after the reveal at the end of the last episode

BF's contract doesn't allow them to set anything after season 1, so none of the plays have done anything with that. It's bizarre.