Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hated it at the time, but I think I kinda love “insane and unhinged, smearing burger wrappers on his face” SimmMaster now.

The fact that he got to come back as a Serious Goatee'd Master makes it less dire in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

The Queen is setting up a dark final season villain twist for The Crown season 6 :aaa:

I just started watching and maaaan I did NOT like who Matt Smith regenerated into!

Can close my eyes and Olivia Coleman sounds exactly like Claire Foy tho.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SiKboy posted:

But I am EXTREMELY leery of them exploring any "origins of the time lords" stuff.

Diwan was great as the Master. I liked him in Adventure in Space and Time and it's good to see him back. The right mix of suave, menace, and unhinged glee. drat shame I was spoiled on it by my news feed and YouTube the day after airing. It's getting ridiculous.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

howe_sam posted:

a modern convenience threatening to doom humanity (and a companion's family) was some big time RTD energy.

"Say my name" and the whole "we're watching you, you're public enemy numbers 1, 2, and 3--now RUN!" was very "Sound of Drums"

And, of course, the actual sound of drums from the Master's head.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Buml0r posted:

So, I've really really enjoyed these last two episodes, after finding myself pretty bored for a lot of the last series. It feels like the Doctor Who I like watching is back. I'm very happy about that.

But, also, I'm feeling really weird about that bit where The Doctor, off of Doctor Who, dobbed-in a POC to 1940s nazis and then flew away, and the next time we saw that POC, he described having had to escape from... what sounded to me like concentration camps.

Is that not the single biggest "but that character, and this series, would never do that" moment in the whole show so far? Shouldn't someone, be it Chibnall or whoever directed it, or the producers, someone, have said no, we're not doing that?

It feels pretty cleanly like something they shouldn't have done, but I'm seeing very little mention of it here or on twitter, so I'm starting to doubt myself, like I just didn't understand what happened. Maybe I'm just so used to every little thing being savaged on social media, and it's actually not a bad thing for a popular scifi property to put a foot wrong without a massive backlash... but I'm not sure this time. When I have found discussions of it (which I've had to search for), I've seen people say "the way I interpreted it, the Doctor just removed the layer of trickery that was making nazis think he was their boss," and then other people go "I mean, maybe, but it seemed to me like she removed the filter that made them see him as aryan," and the discussion stops there. But like, that comment he made when he turned up near the end. "The 20th century has been hard to live through. The places I've had to escape from." She got him sent to the camps, right? Didn't she?

It's really making me feel weird about this episode. Not in a "I'm cross with them" way (until I'm sure), more in a "hang on, SURELY not" way. Like if one of the main characters had randomly had their genitals fully visible for a whole scene or something, and all that happened afterwards was a couple of people on twitter went "odd decision, oh well" and left it at that.

Edit - I like the idea above that the Master just immediately killed the nazis and got away, but... even if I'm interpreting his speech wrong, the Doctor did still do it and I suppose I just think that's... alarmingly out of character? Perhaps I'm just feeling weird because I told a Jewish friend of a friend who was wondering whether to get back into the series that the new year episode was really good...

He's callously tortured and killed millions. And the Doctor didn't know it at the time, but he genocided the Time Lords. She spent decades keeping him prisoner when he was Missy and he never reformed. She also knew he'd get out of it, because he always does, but it would be some just desserts for him palling around with Nazis.

If he was working with the Daleks and she revealed to them he was going to double cross them, and she swanned off while they closed in on him with their guns pointed at him, how would that be different? Would you feel the show was sending the wrong message? If the Nazis would kill him because he was a POC but the Daleks would kill him because he is Not A Dalek, is the former somehow worse? I'm not sure what the right message would be-arresting him and trying to reform him? Cause we just spent a season on that and it didn't work.

I do really want some audios of the Master living through the 20th and early 21st century, especially having to sit on the sidelines when stuff went down involving the Doctor and him. Not only was he there during the UNIT days, that means he was also around during the decades the Doctor (and Missy) were at the college. Also for Captain Jack's time on Earth. I wonder if he voted for Saxon? :laugh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

The Master being the Master, he was probably one of like 4 people in England who DIDN'T vote for Saxon :allears:

Also just got a picture of him looking out his window the moment every humanoid on Earth (besides him) becomes THE MASTER RACE and he just sighs and goes back to his tea.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Earth has been destroyed more times than Gallifrey! :v:

Also Squirrel Girl's makeup job was straight outta 80s Doctor Who.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I agree with this. The message was fine, but humanity and its future has been flushed out enough that to make it earth was just rewriting the rules. They could have made it a different planet and still pointed out the impact it could have on our world.

Yeah. Part of the case for Doing Something Now about climate change is that we only have one world and can;t meaningfully preserve humanity if we wreck it. Kinda dilutes the message if there are billions of humans safe among the stars. The Earth will always be destroyed eventually, we even saw it in the second ep of the revival.But humans survive so :shrug:

Jerusalem posted:

Oh also I'm gonna go ahead and assume it was a meta-joke that Yaz is the third wheel in the old couple's moment near the start of the episode, since probably my biggest issue with the show so far is she so frequently doesn't get anything to do other than just be there :3:

I used to be all for having a big Team TARDIS like in the Davison era and assumed the better writers of today could fix the problems of back then. I now have come around to say 2 Companions is the sweet spot and they shouldn't have more. It's too many to service.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

happyhippy posted:

Complete soppy fan fiction level wankery.
Starting to get sick of them meeting famous people, gushing over them, then the famous person just ignoring asking questions and accepting their fate without going apeshit meeting someone from the future.
Hated the Van Gogh one for the same reason, if there was a whole gallery about me I would try to find out what the gently caress I do next.
Edision would have shot the Doc in the back of the head for the chance to get his hands on Tardis tech.
But oh no, sly winks and everythings perfect.

Van Gogh was OK, because his mental illness prevented him from changing his fate even knowing how much he'd be loved in the future. It was a good moral on how there's some things/people you can't fix, even with time travel (and IRL without).

But riddle me this: why the gently caress did she have to MiB flashpen Ada Lovelace and Noor Inayat Khan but not Edison and Tesla? Seeing all that stuff didn't change history or their future inventions at all?

poo poo, even Herbert was inspired to write The Time Machine after his adventure with the Doctor. :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

And it's her hair. It's like longer and more feminine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Clara was great as soon as they got past that impossible poo poo. I was sad to see her go.

:agreed:

Voting Floater posted:

Agreed on Bill being the superior companion though. She's probably my second-favourite revival-era companion after Donna.

That's a funny way to spell "Nardole" :colbert:

I liked the episode but I was very burned by the spoilers. Google newsfeed a few hours after the episode aired "DOCTOR WHO CASTS FIRST BLACK FEMALE DOCTOR" with a pic, and before I saw the ep I was spoiled on Jack, as well as him not coming back this season.

Just like the Master. I really would have liked to be surprised on these things.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why google has to spoil literally everything if you're slightly interested in it. if I enjoy watching a show, I'm going to find out what happens in it, I don't need a notification about it.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to tell it to stop showing me all DW related content and saying I'm not interested in it.

The bigger problem though is the writers of the articles, who are rushing to put their hot takes up within an hour of the airing, with a spoiler laden headline and screencaps as thumbnails.

As annoying and twee as I think the "Let's talk about THAT SCENE in last night's Doctor Who!" headlines are, I prefer them to "Doctor Who's New Master!" with a pic of him. :rolleyes:

I'm not an anti spoiler maniac by any means. I read the spoiler thread on here when I'm caught up on the show, and I like to hear about broad strokes of plot and casting. But when there's what is clearly meant to be a shock surprise, like the various Master reveals, Doctor Ruth, Night of the Doctor or The Curator, I'd rather not know. Which is why I don't venture into this thread til I've seen the episode.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 2, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I've been delighted by the actors and their characters, with the exception that Mandip Gill has been extremely let down in terms of her character getting to stand out in any way. The chemistry between the three of them and especially with the Doctor is a treat even in the "worst" episodes.

I agree that so far this season they've not really followed up on the willingness to explore historical episodes covering rough periods, though there has at least been a strong emphasis on environmental issues which I approve of.

The Ryan/Graham asides and interactions are just awesome. :swoon:

I can see some good BF audios with just the two of them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

He really is an amazing artist.

I wonder if Capaldi would qualify as a Polymath like Bruce Dickinson? He is a talented actor, musician, artist, and an encyclopedic Doctor Who nerd. Wouldn't shock me if he could fly planes too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So is next week gonna completely poo poo on the 8/Mary stories?

Guess Chibbers isn't a Big Finish fan like Moffat and RTD...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

guardians and toymaker name drop like woah. a literal god clownin on a time lord. Time lord clownin right back

Really liked this episode a whole lot. Covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Celestial figures re-established in canon. Villain owned. That's right I loved it come at me :colbert:

These parts were all good. The bad attempt at shoehorning in a message about mental health in as subtle fashion as a GI Joe PSA was not.

There was a time when science fiction was good at metaphors, and using futuristic/alien situations as clever parallels to our real world. Chibnall is one step removed from just having the Doctor look at the camera and state the premise.

"You see viewers, the Kaleds are literally Nazis, and the Daleks are Nazis, and the Thals are also kind of Nazis, and Nazis are bad, and war is bad! Intolerance is bad! Racism is very not good as well!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

EmptyVessel posted:

Since no one else has mentioned this.
The Doctor says "This must be one of the oldest hospitals in the world, course Islamic physicians were know for the enlightened way they treated people with mental health problems.", which reads as the opposite to me.
Tahira was there as a patient.

I was too struck by the hamfistedness of the line to think of much else. I mean, it's not untrue and it's good to educate people on, but there's just better ways to go about it.

Vishass posted:

Was there some reason they kept dancing around the word "depression" in their special episode about depression?

I mean I feel like the Vincent episode didn't shy away from it so much.

Now that was an excellent episode about the struggles of people with mental health problems that didn't come across as written by a committee consisting of writers from "The Get Along Gang" and well meaning educators and therapists. It made you think, it had a shocking but realistic ending, and didn't pull punches.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lampsacus posted:

having an old dude creep on a girl in her bedroom and attack her by flying fingers at her was - NOT OKAY AT ALL LIKE WTF.

Um...it wasn't exactly portrayed as a positive thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Too bad 8 will never remember meeting him. :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Console isn't green enough. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope to God that they did a photo of David and Matt with the 9 cardboard cutout...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It was a good episode, but while I can appreciate that some people can say

Emerson Cod posted:

I appreciate that the episode can sort of be reconciled with Mary's Story due to time fuckery and the Doctor coming into it planning to just stay there for an hour but getting caught up in things when she noticed it was wrong. Also, did they use a wig similar to the 8th Doctor for Percy Shelley because it sure seemed like it.

...I can't see it as anything other than Chibnall is not a fan of Big Finish and could care less about what he feels is non-canon spinoff fan fiction. I guess that's his perogative but it's a shame and very different from the last two showrunners. He probably views it as inferior "Wilderness Years" low quality emphemera like TARDIS Eruditorium did.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Two Doctors Part 2: 60th Anniversary Edition sure is weird!

Also does Bradley Walsh actually ever age?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that part was silly. Would've always made more sense if they just interfaced directly or the ship used a human brain wired into it.

I actually like the broken Cyberman leader. He's a really interesting concept even if yeah it makes less sense he could stay in charge.

And yes I think the Irish village is what's going on in his head.

I think these are related. I think he's using the Cyberium to hack the other Cybermen into following him.

Sounded to me that he is a CyberFan who wants to be a Cyberman and didn't make the cut for conversion. So he made a janky suit out of Spare Parts (lol get it) and is programming them to follow him.

Jerusalem posted:

There's actually a Big Finish audio that does a really interesting/fun thing with the same kind of premise, a hyper-advanced Cyberman from far in the future that is trying to use time-travel to prevent the Cybermen's ultimate defeat. It manages to make it back to Mondas and the original Cybermen but is damaged in the process, and because it is different they emotionlessly declare that it is faulty and proceed to tear it apart and rebuild it in their image while it screams at them to listen to what it is trying to say. It's chilling and extremely effective, and that's lacking in this character (also what the hell was the bit with it seemingly torturing/ripping open the one Cybertroop it found?).

Yeah, and one of the Mondasian Cybermen who finds him was Zheng from Spare Parts, apparently still alive centuries later. He's notable as one of the first Cyber conversions and as such still retained his name.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

Well, they never answered how the Doctor got out of a jam in Timelash!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

People actually dislike this incarnation of The Master? He's goddamn brilliant.

:hellyeah: He's the best part of this season.

Another reason he's so good? He's even more pissed off about this fanwank reveal than we are, so pissed he genocided all the Time Lords! :v:

Count me in as another who hated this. It's unnecessary. Even as a fan of the Cartmel Masterplan and LOOMS and the Virgin backstory of Gallifrey and Rassilon and the Pythia and all that, this is poo poo. Like as the Master was dragging out the reveal, I have to give it to Chibnall, I was on the edge of my seat. I wanted this secret knowledge, even as I knew it was bound to disappoint. And it did.

The Doctor's "mother" should have been Rassilon. Leaving him out makes no sense. Now if Rassilon was a semi-mythic figure who just was namedropped all the time and showed up for 30 seconds in The Five Doctors, erasing him from mattering to the lore would work. But we saw him, multiple times recently. So he's a real dude who was a Founder of the Time Lords and was resurrected by his people to lead the Time War and hosed off after the Doctor kicked him out...but he doesn't even rate a mention in the infodump?

Also LOL Morbius Doctors are canon now I can't even. Props to whoever said a couple pages back that Chibnall probably wrote this entire poo poo based on trying to retcon that one 2 second sequence from 40 years ago. Remember when people would bitch about Moffat being a canon nerd? He got nothin' on Chibs. But I disagree with people who say you shouldn't hand a show to the fans. Our track record here is 1 out of 3 sucked. RTD was pretty good and Moffat had bad moments but when he was on he was loving on. Usually it was his canon nerdery like around the 50th where he shone, and his batshit stupid stuff was his own invention, like "The Wedding of River Song."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, that extraordinary sense of compassion was born out of exposure to humans softening his initial grumpy, "My Granddaughter and I first, everybody else a distant second" approach to everything. He went from arrogant and high-handed (and willing to smash in the head of an injured man slowing them all down) to a charming old softy who followed in the lead that Ian and Barbara set for him of helping people in need and stopping assholes from taking advantage/hurting others, and that only grew with each new regeneration along the same vein of,"Let's all be friends and have fun and put a stop to anybody being a total dick".

I mentioned it before, but I'm certain this is all going to end up being a misdirection, and I'm not even against the idea of the show doing that type of thing, but not when there is a year or possibly more between episodes. I really don't want this bullshit hanging over the show this long before I can figure out if it is something stupid to be ignored or just the first part of a longer story that will ultimately show it to be the Master just making up bullshit to be an rear end in a top hat.

I feel you and while this is absolutely my headcanon on how the character developed, is there any proof that Newman, Lambert, David Whitaker, and Hartnell actually intended this? That there was ever a planned arc for the Doctor's character? Maybe I'm wrong, and there was something like this planned, to have him start as an rear end in a top hat and turn more humane, but I think the truth is that's reading way too much serialization and character development into 60s tv. I think Hartnell played him a certain way to begin with, he was written in a certain way, and then as time went by they changed him. I think he was intended to be the arch, dispassionate scientist and Susan, Ian, and Barbara were the humane audience identification characters. As time went by he became the Hero to Children, Susan, Ian, and Barbara left, and by default the Doctor had to become the goodest guy.

We can choose to see it that way. We can choose to imagine Hartnell dealing with the Time Lords as we saw them, but in reality none of that existed in the first few seasons. Regeneration didn't exist. Gallifrey didn't exist. It's all retcons.

LOL...I actually was thinking about posting this joke today. I knew BF coudn't resist. As soon as they parsed what happened with the Morbius Doctors, they were probably already writing outlines for box sets. :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Novel after novel of dudes detailing their sexual fantasies about Ace. :quagmire:

That's literally not true and a poor description of the New Adventures.

I was rereading them a few years ago and reviewing them here and got through several before life got in the way. There are some really dire ones, but really well written ones too. They would really try anything so tonally some were very off. Some were way too violent and dark, but others captured the spirit of the old show or presaged the new one. They went in some weird directions with backstory and canon but you can't say they didn't try to do something in an era where the show was cancelled and for all intents and purposes a dead fandom relic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Counterpoint:

:v:

Seriously, though: the NDA/PDA ranges featured a fair bit of writing about Ace being all sexed up, having sex, losing her virginity to Glitz, etc. Perhaps some authors were truly genuine in trying to take DW back into a more "adult/mature" direction and away from being considered a children's show, and with Ace being the most recent companion, they decided to portray her in a more realistic light with sexual desires being a part of that. If so, while I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, if it's genuine then it's at least a logical step. On that note, however, I remember reading one PDA with 7 and Ace where one of the villains was leering over Ace so hard you could practically see the beads of sweat forming on the writer's forehead. I don't recall Peri or Tegan or Leela or any other female companions getting similar treatment in the PDA novels (Turlough, on the other hand...). Which is especially ironic in that the female companions in the past were often cast for their sex appeal, while Ace was meant to be a more progressive companion that wasn't just "for the dads"...and yet, even the guys who wrote for her on the show couldn't help but comment on how attractive they thought she was, so it was pretty much inevitable that given a novel format with looser restrictions, that some of the guys who wrote for her were going to go full-bore on just how sexy they thought she was.

This reminds me of another thing about Lawrence Miles, too: he absolutely detested the notion that Big Finish basically came in and "replaced" the novels in most people's minds as being "real" DW. He felt the novels had been the one thing pushing the series forward after it went on hiatus and after the TV Movie came and went. When BF started doing stuff with 5, 6, and 7, I don't think he cared much, but when they started doing audio adventures with 8, I remember reading about how it really started to gnaw at him, mainly because (for licensing reasons at the time, I'm sure) they didn't acknowledge or use any elements or companions from the 8DA novels, so to him that was basically saying the novels were just glorified fanfic and the audios were the "true" DW wilderness years stories. Of course, he'd already pretty much quit the range at this time, so a lot of it just came across as sour grapes. And I seem to recall that BF did some Faction Paradox audios? So maybe he eventually got over any resentments he might have had.

Counter-counterpoint-fairly early on, when Bennie was introduced, Ace got into an age appropriate "first love" relationship that went bad and caused her to leave the Doctor, and it was handled very well IIRC. Comparing NDAs to PDAs is a bit off, because the NDAs were only focused on 7 and did somewhat of an arc, while the PDAs were one and done focusing on various Doctors in no particular order.

Though I never warmed to the Faction Paradox arc, I agree with Miles that it's a shame the novels were decanonized whole cloth. The portrayals of both early Gallifreyan society and current as part of the Cartmel Masterplan were interesting. The idea that they were a society of telepaths who were led by a future seeing oracle was neat, as was the idea that Rassilon pushing for time travel smashed that entire society against the rocks and opened up seeing the future for the masses. Even the much maligned Looms were something I liked, not in the idea of the "sexless Doctor" trope, but in the idea of Rassilon's revolution having negative consequences, and turning them into the ossified observers we see in the show. The characters like Benny, Chris and Roz were well done and different from old companions and had real emotional arcs and problems like New Series characters such as Martha, Donna, Danny Pink, Rory, etc. I also really enjoyed the future Earth Empire worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I had high hopes for Chibnall because he was a long term fan like RTD and Moffat, and Broadchurch was great. The combo of Mega Nerd Whovian combined with Legit TV Show Producer From Other Genres seemed unstoppable.

I was wrong. Chibnall falls prey to the worst impulses of RTD and Moffat and/or the poo poo they never really did but get accused of. He's trying to do a bunch of things different for no good reason besides "Doctor Who has never been like this!"

Like I would probably have rather some outsider come in and poo poo all over canon with a reboot than be let down by someone who should have done much, much better but got too consumed with trying to distance himself from his predecessors. He has no doubt done his dammedest to ensure that's what we'll get next, and probably a decree to never mention poo poo from the old show again.