Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

Davros1 posted:

Large Graphic

I assume things are the same on that side of the pond as here, where ratings have been in a steady decline for decades thanks to, first cable, and now streaming? The days of an episode of Friends getting 40 million viewers or whatnot are long over, it's absolutely shocking looking at any show's viewership from years ago to how much the most popular network shows get now, even the most popular ones.

Of course we're dealing with a situation where the previous series rated higher than Capadi's last series, but the internet only focused on the decline over the year which has happened with every series (well probably not Tennant but whatever) because they hated getting cooties from a girl being in their Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

I was wondering a bit whether it'd turn out he only thinks he's the Master, between the "heart" comment and the fact that internet dude seemed to be in this position of "I control you" to the aliens and they're all like "ya, sure you do", a typical Master situation, but this makes it seem like no such swerve will happen (unless he's a ParallelMaster, which would still be a bit disappointing).

I hope this is actually a pre-Jacobi Master, it seems like it was set in stone that Gomez followed Simm, and I don't want to see the redemption stuff thrown out at all, but then again it's not at all unimaginable, regeneration is a personality change too, so a new Master could easily have looked and said "what was I thinking?!?!"

[edit] Also meant to mention, if the drums comes up, that should point to pre-Simm (thus pre-Jacobi) too, wasn't Simm's Master more or less over the drums at the end of his original run? I can't remember if it came up with him and Gomez at all, and I don't remember her ever bringing it up.

Jeffe fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 3, 2020

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
It was... an episode. But it makes me want to rant a moment -

As an American, when I have to wait more than a year for a piddly half-season of a show, it's maddening. We used to get 26 episodes of ST:TNG every year like clockwork. Matt Smith, my personal favorite, lost a whole season because of that nonsense, what was it, 16 months total wasted with all the delays? This was another several-month slip in scheduling, if you count first episodes of each season. On top of that, now we have only 10 episodes + maybe special a season (nice way to cheat out of it this time), instead of 13 + definite special. That's less than 1 per month. If you have to release like that, make drat sure you pick the best, tightest, most highly polished scripts, and then go over them and beat them into submission until they become even better and more highly polished. There is NO room or excuse for fluff or episodes you may go "meh" about.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
This is going to get more messy if she's supposed to be a missing Doctor, they already screwed that up in a sense in Smith's run - if he knew he was on his last life because of the War Doctor/IDon'tWantToGo Doctors, why did he fake regenerating when River shot him, and more to the point, in Let's Kill Hitler, IIRC, it was implied he would have regenerated but couldn't (really going on memory there) at that moment, which is why River had to help him. Yes, it was all a retcon for story reasons, but it's now really really set in stone Doc had 13 "lives" before.

Looms would be good as they'd be separate entities with the same bio-signature. Thinking of the other book range, there could have been multiple Gallifreys due to the war (I think there were 9 total in the books) and all the Time Lords cloned themselves somehow, but our Doc would know about that since he was fighting in the war?

Also - I want to hydrate myself with the tears of all the chuds who hated having a female Doctor, now that there's a second one, and she's black on top of it. I shouldn't make assumptions all the sexist fans would be racist too, but "mah purity in mah Doctor Who" makes me assume there's a non-zero overlap.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
We're all loving the looms idea since we've been waiting for it for ~30 years, but, would The Master really be so pissed off about it? Plus you'd think they'd all be aware of that, if not as a child than definitely as an adult.

I get the feeling there was some major war pre-Hartnell, just a feeling since the guy was proud enough to want to keep his medal. The only one mentioned ever was against the vampires, and I can't remember if that's a book-only thing. Maybe the Time Lords stole time travel tech from whomever they fought against, so being "Lords of Time" and such a big deal could be a story written by the victors. Again, why get so mad about it though, enough to destroy Gallifrey?

Does the Master being dressed and exhibiting mannerisms of Hartnell in Spyfall Pt. 2 mean anything? That was too deliberate to not be meaningless. I thought for a moment could they be from a parallel universe AND flipped morally, taking each other's name relative to here, but that seems too convoluted and the payoff would be meh since we're dealing with two previously unknown actors.

Parallel universe also seems wrong since Gat and Ruth and Ruth's husband (and arguably Jack) all would have to have been transported here - they all act like nothing was wrong. Is there any spot where our Doc could instead have slipped into their universe? She fell out of the TARDIS, somehow survived (assume that was due to the regen being so new still, like what allowed Tenant to regrow his hand). Could really dig deeper and have a timeline split be due to the timey-wimey stuff from Capaldi's last episode, but new producers seem (rightfully) to want to not mess with the previous one's toys willy-nilly.

Could be Ruth is from season 6B since that's all we don't know of, and SmithDoc was mistaken in thinking Tenant's vanity regen counted as a full one, but then why did she not know what the sonic was?

No matter how I riff on this nothing seems like a hint to what's going on. It's terrific! This season's surprises have been excellent, between the Master reveal and this episode, I've been at the edge of my seat with my jaw dropped for the first times in years.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

marktheando posted:

I definitely am not loving the looms idea.

Honestly I don't care about them, I just always loved the idea of the "Other" itself, especially since it was in relation to McCoy's Doctor, who was the greatest one until Smith...fight me. On the surface requires the looms, but there could certainly be other explanations to invent. All three (The Doc, Omega, and R-Dawg) could not remember who they were before, anything really.

I should really stop polluting my mind with ideas from the two book ranges though, something new could always be better, and I think in the end they tried to say the Time Lords (or at least the Doctors) were really sentient crystals modeled after the Doctor and stuff, so whatever, that all got pretty nutty, and I doubt Chibnall would be aware of all that. Or, we could debate where Ruth fits in with the events of The Infinity Doctors :D

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, The Gallifrey Chronicles undoes that explanation (which exists entirely to fix up a plot hole) about five books later.

Ooh, I should really finally read that, I grabbed it for Kindle at some point and forgot, it's been so long since I read the books but I guess I'd remember most of the major plot threads throughout the range. Did anyone ever finally get it out of Mad Larry who the Enemy were supposed to be?

Regarding the episode, I rewatched the crucial parts of it today - Ruth really nailed being The Doctor! Kind of more of a classic one, which is surely intentional. Ok, it's weird to give a fictional character kudos for being another fictional character, as if "Ruth" was the actress, but you get my point.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Grasping at a straw, but so much theorizing about Gallifreyans being evolved humans - it was strange that The Master said "heart" in the singular during his reveal. Maybe he's had a regeneration that made him more human biologically and it prompted him to investigate why.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Remember when many of us were worried it'd be something silly like the escaping humans became the Time Lords and that would be ridiculous? Yeah, good times...

Someone referred above to the insanity of the 8th Doctor novels, that stuff was miles above this. Oof, that pun was really unintended, noticed it after I typed it, but I'm keeping it in.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
The more I think of it, the more little things are ruined/ignored/invented that just suck and weren't necessary.

For example, except for special occasions like anniversaries, Time Lords don't meet themselves, it's supposed to cause "issues" (which I know is always ignored), and it only ever happens when some event is going on due to intervention by the Time Lords or another big event (except The Two Doctors, but that's the Season 6B thing that COULD have been used but wasn't). This made the Master and Missy together something so special and worth waiting for all these years, but I digress. There's a quick comment about how there might be many Doctors "out there" right now. It was too easy for her to cross paths with Ruth (and let alone the police box problem), I certainly don't like the idea of her being able to meet 40 different versions of herself now like it's no big thing. Except maybe Ruth again, Ruth was really good. But, it's another BS retcon now, after 37 or whatever seasons (depending how you count) and thousands of years of life, she happens to meet a mystery version of herself a few months before she learns all this. Chinball grabbed Chekov's gun and used it to shoot William Hartnell in the heart(s).

I really hope the next show runner fixes all of this somehow.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
The Book of the War by Mad Larry is interesting, just a reference of snippets of happenings due to/related to Faction Paradox. Except for parts referring to a faction of The Faction that operated in Hollywood - I would avoid all those parts due to the stupidity of the idea and if I even read through them once I've wiped them from my memory. But the book has info on The Faction, Grandfather Paradox, the City of the Saved, I think it was called (basically afterlife at the end of the universe), something else I can't remember the name of where people are cloned over and over and eventually turned into agents of FP, I think... been a long time since I've thumbed through it but it has lots of backstory for the crazy years of the 8DA line, though all unofficial.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

The_Doctor posted:

They were the Remote. If one of them died, the other members of the Remote would ‘remember’ them back in a clone tank (which was usually as successful as it sounds), thus we got Kode, who used to be Fitz several deaths ago, and 4 iterations of Laura Tobin, eventually named Compassion.

The Book of the War was also written by several people, not just Loz.

I really hope you've read all this stuff in the past year or three, otherwise your memory is terrifying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

TinTower posted:

For some reason, "Vincent and the Doctor" is trending at 1am.

And you know what, they're absolutely right.

https://twitter.com/TheWomenOfWho/status/1236454406842986497

One of the few scenes on television that always seems to play while there's a lot of dust in my room.