Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OH NO THE THREAD HAS BEEN DESTROYED :supaburn:

What's this a new thread? Kidneys. Still a ginger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

docbeard posted:

If we get more of It Takes You Away and Demons of the Punjab (and more for Yaz to do) I will be content.

I'd actually be at home for more just straightforward silliness like the one on the spaceship being eaten by Feral Stitch whose name I've forgotten, too.

I've decided that I'm happy if a season takes lots of risks and we end up with two good ones (like those) and a few more where I can say "well they tried" (like Rosa or Kerblam!). I'd sit through ten Battle of Too Many Names just to get to see one Heaven Sent. I could go for something really weird this time, though. My attitude to pretty much all art now is "if it can't be good, it can at least be weird."

poo poo - reviewing the list of episodes I almost entirely forgot about The Witchfinders, which was a solid B+. And I just realized that my bottom 50% of that season are the 5 episodes that Chibnall did by himself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm super pleased that the Master's first action was to swap the pilot with a gigantic bomb.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I predict that this will be post Gomez and involve some Master logic like "well yes, you were 100% right and you totally got through to me but while I was dying over the next six months I realized that I'd never be as good at being good as you are, and that my antagonism of you made you better at being good, so I'm taking the long view of things and that means back to throwing bombs because it's easier and more effective."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had no idea that Osgoode had fans

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:hellyeah: :f5:

That was great.

Also did anyone notice that The Master had a First Doc costume thing going on in the one shot we had of his full body hologram?

Also I realized watching this one that the Doctor's tuxedo has a lot of 11 in it, with the bowtie and long coat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doctor who is at its best when the episodes are ambitious at the expense of any wider continuity and at its worst when it tries really hard to make poo poo internally consistent at the expense of the immediate storytelling.

The former is the tone that I got from Spyfall, so I'm totally on board for series 12 (season 38).

Also did you notice that the Master's facial hair grew in over the two episodes? Dollars to donuts that he's sporting the full Roger next time we see him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

That's been a thing going back to the early 1970s.

The three doctors!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I disagree with the assertion that Sacha is just retreading Simm. There's overlap but I see some overlap with Delgado and Ainley too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

well poo poo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that part made zero sense. We either needed to see him wounded, turning into one of them or the dregs using his tracker and faking his voice as a hunting method (they were smart enough to lay traps after all )

That bit reminded me of the Alzabo from The Book of the New Sun but it wasn't that cool.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decent enough to watch while eating nachos. Goofy adventure with some historical figures in it.

I thought about it and what tipped last week's episode for me is I'm sick of looking at grey wasteland post apocalyptic quarry settings.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Voting Floater posted:

This, uh, may not be the show for you.

Featureless grey quarries offered as a dystopian setting? There was just something extra bland about that episode's quarry world.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

I felt like Glenister was channeling Trump when portraying Edison. Something about the way he’d make his face sit.

Same

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've literally told people to shut up when they've called me a "Whovian."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

THAT WAS loving AWEOMSE IT WAS SUCH A MESS OF WEIRD poo poo I LOVE IT

:supaburn:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The thing with Ruth being a "violent alt doctor" is that the whole weapon backfire trap thing was used in another episode, and though I can't remember which episode, I'm 99% sure that Tenant or Smith used the exact same line "I begged him not to do it" afterwards.

Or I'm crazy. But I'm sure I've seen it before.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

It's how Jodie got rid of Tim Shaw the first time.

Right that's it. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

So like... perhaps not such a "nonviolent" variation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love Jack so much that I watched every goddamn minute of every season of Torchwood.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HD DAD posted:

Go full David Lynch “what even the gently caress is going on” insanity.

YES

THE DOCTOR ARGUES WITH A MONKEY FOR 17 MINUTES AND THEN IT TURNED OUT THE MONKEY WAS ACTUALLY DEAD

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

marktheando posted:

Did you just spoil the new David Lynch netflix thing? I guess it's my fault for not watching it yet, but damnit.

No I didn't

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Well that was just a fun and perfectly fine episode v:shobon:v

Yes, but probably destined to be one of those episodes that I have to google when I see its title in a discussion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder what story Astronaut guy will tell the news when he's not dead

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Things I liked: the nod to some of the old-series mythology like the Guardians; 14th century Aleppo as a setting. I liked the bad guy too, generally.

Things I didn't feel really strongly about: most of the rest

Things I disliked: how it came together.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was ok.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Then be like the rest of us and watch the rest because you're sad lonely and bored

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

All Torchwood is bad.

So you're saying that you've watched all torchwood

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Man I really like (spoiler for people who aren't caught up) this version of The Master. He really hits the right notes for me. There's some mix of chaos and coping with failure that really works

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Moffat's mystery box was literally a big box of mystery

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know aside from the poo poo that made no sense at all, that episode had a lot of good constituent parts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah Sacha was great.

BTW I also felt like Yaz was getting a bit more characterization that episode, but it got overshadowed by the nonsense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't know that adult time lords regenerated into children

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Love and Monsters is ok but has a terrible terrible finish. I like third person episodes, though. Need more third person episodes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Organza Quiz posted:

Hey so what was actually up with those Ireland bits? Was that one of the Doctor's missions or some sort of fake memory and in that case why? Why were the two dudes still the same age? Was it just some absolute fanwank about humans thinking Gallifrey is somewhere in Ireland?

It was an allegorical remnant memory of her life in Section 31 and before the mind wipe that reset her as 1.

Kid gets found, gets raised and adopted, falls off a cliff but then survives etc etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Also again I do want to stress that this is how the "reveal" of the Timeless Child rolls out in the episode:

Master: So look, here's memories of the origin of the Time Lords, in which they experimented on an unknown alien called The Timeless Child that had the power to regenerate when they died.
Doctor: Okay. Weird but you've shown me the actual evidence of this claim and I'm going to ignore that you've been able to edit Matrix memories in the past.
Master: Also without anything to back it up at all, I'm saying that YOU are the Timeless Child.
Doctor: Here are several reasons why that's not probable.
Master: Well I'm saying that you are and offering nothing else beyond my statement, including nothing to answer any of the points you just made.
Doctor: Well okay I guess I am the Timeless Child then.

So I still think the reveal the Master lied about her being the Timeless Child is just going to end up being the new "twist" at the climax of this storyline in the next season which will be in.... 2021 probably :cripes:

2021? Always the optimist

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I thought it was just all the different regenerations

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Harlock posted:

Are we all generally of the opinion that Jodie will leave after next series or keep going? If she does, it will certainly be an interesting 3 years.

I want her to keep going but I don't think there have been any statements.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Davros1 posted:

It's just grueling to film. It's usually 10 months of shooting. There was a reason RTD (from series 2) and Moffat (to an extent) had a "Doctor-lite" episode each series, just to give the main cast a break.

What makes it so loving brutal?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I looked at his tweets and sadly you're right :( I hope he's OK and gets the help he needs.

I know there's other staff and people that work on the show, but I think a large part of the problem is that the showrunner is basically responsible for coordinating both the creative side of the show, and the logistical/financial side. As we saw with Moffat, sometimes that can cause bigtime problems.

Yeah but that's just the showrunner. What makes it so brutal for the cast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That makes sense. Thanks! It also sounds to me like something that writing could fix. Id happily give up a location story for a soundstage story and a doctor light story.