Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It makes me irrationally annoyed that the one time the line was subverted is for the ugliest Tardis interior there has ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just watched A Christmas Carol.

I think I've figured it out: Thirteen is the Doctor I want to be. Eleven is the Doctor I want to show up to take me away.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was the first Master reveal that I ever got to see not knowing it was coming and it was glorious.

I suppose you can count Yana, but I didn't even know who the master was when they did that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Also you didn't make him wait two days, so that goes both ways for sure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loved it!

We got our bombast back, they played 13's theme when she was clever, we're back into continuity mattering, and the Tardis improvements have softened my stance on it being the worst.

But those things, and the plot? While great? That's all window dressing. The real interesting stuff is the character beats. 13 regenerated and really enjoyed her new self, and seemed more comfortable than most post-regenderation Doctors. She even made herself vulnerable immediately and made friends. And she called them friends. Not travelling companions. They were her mates.

But now she's realizing that a new beginning for her doesn't mean her past never happened. It's catching up with her. And her new friends are becoming curious about her past.

I know I bring up my trans experience a lot, but I don't think I'm reaching when I say this is all relatable in a big, bad way.

And Jodie is just so much fun to watch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, I forgot that I hated how rapey the forced memory wipes were when I was talking about how I loved everything else.

That was bad and gross.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm actually happy people are now defending the Master as a gal trying her best to change. It's a far cry from the HE CAN'T BE A WOMAN bullshit that happened at the time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hoo boy that was a real stinker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hey, is anyone else bothered by the end when the Doctor said that this was just one possibility for Earth?
Orson Pink wound up never existing because Danny Pink died and the Doctor has visited so many different versions of Future Earth that I always took this as a given.

Also, nobody knows Aliens exist despite the fact that Earth has been invaded eleventy-six times and while Eleven rebooted the universe and later erased knowledge about himself from all of creation, that conceit had been undone by the end of that same season without any real reason.

Our moon is an egg. Except it's not. Don't take your pills, though, 'cause the trees might actually be talking to you.

Remember the cool poo poo, try to forgive the bad, and never, ever eat pears listen to anybody who likes CinemaSins without consulting Joel Hodgson first. :P

Edit: One thing I really enjoy about Doctor Who is that you're not allowed to intersect with your own timeline, unless you already have, at which point you now must. :stare: .

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 14, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr Beens posted:

Dregs.
Dregs of society.
The poor who couldn't get off planet.

Surprised they went with that for a name, it's pretty derogatory.
I took it that they got their name from the ruling class who left them there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Namtab posted:

I hate this episode, it was bad.
Pretty sure we all hated it.

I was fine with it until the subtext moved up to plain text and then it was just... blech.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had a good time watching it and hating Edison.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cleretic posted:

I can sorta justify this in a couple of ways.

1. Tesla and Edison didn't time travel or learn anything they shouldn't know yet, while Lovelace and Khan did. They saw aliens, sure, but going by the logic that essentially 'the alien ship was always going to be there' then there's no real impact on the timeline, while the Master just deliberately came charging into Lovelace and Khan's lives to gently caress with the timeline, even if he didn't really care that he was.

2. Tesla and Edison probably weren't going to stray from their paths after this one. We see them right in the swing of their work (probably on the way down; I don't know their timeline well, but I know 'Death Ray Tesla' was late-stage), seeing that aliens are real but getting no material from them probably just means they keep going about their lives. Meanwhile Lovelace and Khan saw future technology and history, Lovelace in a very formative time in her life and Khan right in the middle of a war that was still very iffy; you can easily imagine that if their memories weren't wiped, they'd probably influence the timeline in ways the Doctor wouldn't be a fan of.
This is all fine, but we could've bypassed the violation entirely in-fiction if the two women underwent it willingly.

"We've seen too much, we know, but we'll get there in the end." One of them was begging The Doctor to stop! Holy poo poo, that was gross.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really, really missed going :tviv: at Doctor Who, and the combination of the new Master and Jack and a second Doctor has me just :allears: as all hell.

This is all the stuff I missed last season when there was no connection to any plot other than what was happening.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Huh, I was convinced that it would be alternate/split universe to explain why the master came back from being for realsies dead after so little time on screen.
The Master has been for realsies dead like 23 times. When they come back, the explanation is "I lived." You do this once, it's hacky. You do it three times, it's lazy. You do this 23 times, it's genius.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What if one is the Galifrey that we saw frozen in a pocket dimension in Day of the Doctor and the other isn't?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, most people liked Capaldi but hated Jenna Coleman. I enjoyed both.
I didn't like Clara at all until she was Capaldi's buddy. Her Smith run was fuckin' blah right up until Day of the Doctor, where she finally became kinda' rad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The show looks so good visually since Chibnall took over but the TARDIS interior is the one place it all falls apart and it's such a drat shame.
Hooo doggies is it ever gently caress-ugly.

Better this season, but still bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, I just realised this is the same thing JJ Abrams did by retconning Rian Johnson’s Last Jedi. Rian Johnson made it so that Rey came from nothing, and that didn’t matter, because she’s still very strong with the Force. Then JJ came back and decided that wouldn’t stand,

The Doctor being just a normal Time Lord who got bored of their stuffy academia, and ran off to see the universe has been replaced by being Super Special and Different.
I came to post this.

I'm super sick of stories about special people being special because they're special. I just re-watched Into the Spider-Verse the other day and its message of "anybody can wear the mask" is not only a more hopeful, appropriate message for these incredibly difficult times, it's also just plain more interesting.

I was hoping against hope that it turned out The Master was the timeless child, so that he could contend with the fact that he's as special and important as he's always wanted to be, but it still doesn't matter, and he'll still never be satisfied, because The Doctor is just a better person than him despite coming from nothing. Plus it makes The Master's name a bitchin' pun.

This was an act of cultural vandalism.

Thankfully, Doctor Who gonna' keep on Doctor Whoin,' so somebody's gonna' fix this or yadda yadda past it and we'll be right back to our TV pals going whenever and wherever there's an adventure to be had.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

Honestly the Timeless Child twist isn't all that different from what Moffatt gave us with Matt Smith, where The Doctor was the most important and precious person in the entire universe and we were constantly being reminded of that at all times.
Moffat portrayed The Doctor as being that important largely due to 50 years of show having him save world after world, and after all that, it sorta' felt like maybe portraying The Doctor as anything but hugely important would be contrary to what we'd seen.

This reveal fucks up The Doctor's entire backstory by revealing that they were The Doctor before they made the promise to themselves to become The Doctor.

Never cruel. Never cowardly. Never give up. Never give in.

Whoops! Nope. You're special because you came from beyond some portal that goes somewhere and instead of a rebel thumbing your nose at high society types who think you shouldn't help people, you're a loving cop.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been extremely disheartening these last few years to watch my sister get really excited at having female characters take prominent positions in big genre franchises, only to eventually become disillusioned because the fandom turns hateful and toxic in response.
This is so disheartening because it's by design and working as intended. These dudes DO NOT want women in their treehouse.

Which, why?! That used to be the dream for young men! Find a gal who's into the same nerd poo poo as you!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you, thread, for saying what everybody should be saying everywhere and not the gruesome alternative.

This cast deserves better than Chris Chibnall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is the worst season of Doctor Who I've lived through in real time and I spent my first Halloween after socially transitioning dressed as Thirteen. I still wear the coat when the weather's right.

It feels super icky to be negative in this thread. We're not usually negative in this thread.