Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hey, Doctor Who thread it's been... what, about a year? Super excited to get back into discussing episodes as the air in real time, looking forwa-

How's that? The season's over? Are you sure, it's like, March? Oh. I see. Well, nevermind, see you all in 2022!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The Who expanded universe is often times even worse than the worst episode of the show.

It's just like the show, but moreso: the quality varies very, very widely. The best episode of Big Finish is probably better written than the best episode of the show, and the worst episode of Big Finish is Nekromanteia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still haven't watched the finale because I got spoiled and it sounds really bad. I liked most of the rest of the season, I don't want to go out on a sour note and have to wait forever for more Doctor Who. I already went through that with Twice Upon a Time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My threshold for "this is acceptably good" for written prose is a lot higher than it is for television or films, for whatever reason. When the craftwork in a novel is shoddy, it just seems more obvious and takes me out of the story. I can 100 percent believe that the Doctor Who New Adventures novels have some compelling stories (when your setting is all of space and time, it opens some stuff up), but the fact that they are largely written by people who do teleplays makes me really, really doubt that the authors can make the right choices when it comes to stuff like narrative distance or dialog markers.

I also don't think that Doctor Who lends itself particularly well to written prose unless you're doing a close third or first person from the companion's perspective, because actually getting into the Doctor's head sort of ruins a lot of the appeal of the character. Even focusing on the companion's perspective creates a dynamic that really only works in stuff like cozy detective novels or snappy genre fiction that relies mostly on dialog in a way that makes it feel almost like a play with colorful asides. Someone like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett probably could have written some good Doctor Who novels, I suppose. That kind of "I'm doing a stand-up routine over a stage comedy that will never be performed" way of writing is basically the only way I can think of that suits the material.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Best use of this is in The Keys of Marinus where the Doctor disapears for an episode of two, then randomly shows up in a later episode to be Ian's lawyer... despite having no legal training AND being completely unfamiliar with the laws of the planet they're on :allears:

The Keys of Marinus is such a weird serial. Like it has no reason to be as good as it ends up because it's just Terry Nation fishing a bunch of unfinished ideas out of his garbage bin and sticking them together with tape, but that ridiculous trial scene is just so enjoyable, it's like this weird little bit of Kafka out of nowhere. I also enjoy the very Twilight Zone energy of all of them sitting around eating grapes while the audience is obviously extremely aware it's a trap and just waiting to see what psychic alien or hologram simulation it is this time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Part of why the First Doctor is so enjoyable, really, is that it's like "Okay, today Doctor Who is 'Honey, I Shrunk the TARDIS Crew' today" or "gently caress it, we're doing a fetch quest connected by a couple o' short stories" or "William Hartnell is also playing a character from the French Revolution, and no, this will not be explained" because they filmed a zillion episodes every week and at some times you just had to go with "The TARDIS crew literally just landed in a fake haunted house and got scared into thinking they'd traveled into the subconscious horror mind."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And then, there's The Web Planet. :lsd:

"We accidentally permanently smeared Vaseline on this camera lens and a bunch of dancers have been working on a thing where they act out the language of bees."
"Fellas, have I got the show for you!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think Jodie Whitaker is bland, and it seems strange that the only names to go for in terms of non-bland actors are people who are literally dead.