Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Coaaab posted:

anything was possible once ueno got an anime
Eh, Gal☆Cleaning is probably never getting touched... unless they jettison the last few chapter or rework that character's backstory.

Also GalGohan's heading into something obvious and kind of blah.
VvV
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at 70. I'm at about 50/50 that it wraps up with some How I Met Your Mother thing.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Gal Gohan straight-up ending/ended already?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Gal Gohan straight-up ending/ended already?

1 chapter left I think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't gal gohan about a bunch of high school girls trying to hook up with a teacher?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Remind me again why Spice and Wolf is never getting touched again?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Remind me again why Spice and Wolf is never getting touched again?
Like with Full Metal Panic, not enough time has passed. :v:

More Spice & Wolf would still be good, though. :sigh:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

I have trouble imagining a mascot with big boobs being enough of an incentive to counteract the fear of needles and seeing lots of your own blood.

A large part of advertising is just making sure that your product or service has a chance of sticking in people’s heads. Once you have someone at the blood donation area with paperwork in hand very few people will chicken out.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Guys, I... like Ishuzoku Reviewers a lot. It's funny and largely sex positive in a weirdly holistic and honest way. Tell me why it's bad and I should hate it. Like it must be bad and I should hate it, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think KLK being a badly-structured mess was a more fundamental problem than the horny.

KLK was made by a somewhat inexperienced team who had been slapped together in the wake of a mass exodus from gainax and thrown to the winds of the industry to wander for a few years before landing in a tiny studio. they probably just wanted to make something. they didn't exactly have the money or time to sit around and map out a coherent story, and its clear from klk's structure and from interviews that it was mostly just the staff making a thing they wanted to, with multiple ideas from non-writing staff members being used, which does lend a lot of energy and verv to the animation but would obviously result in a pretty loose structure. they could have gone episodic with it to try and mitigate that, like space dandy, but i get the desire to imitate the progression in scale that had become sort of a hallmark of theirs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Guys, I... like Ishuzoku Reviewers a lot. It's funny and largely sex positive in a weirdly holistic and honest way. Tell me why it's bad and I should hate it. Like it must be bad and I should hate it, right?
there's a few jokes that don't land and if you wanna be moralistic about it some of the sexual dynamics are still kinda hosed up, but like, it's a decent show. it's okay to like a sex thing, despite what some would tell you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

just enjoy things for christs sake

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Trigger can keep doing things as long as they provide a face as glorious as this one down the road:

Or anything like her Nendo:

LWA and Gridman were cool, too, I guess.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Luluco was a lot of fun and more clever than it seemed at first blush

dogsicle posted:

just enjoy things for christs sake

Yes!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

it promotes prostitution which is incompatible with marxism and thus its creators have sealed their fate in front of the firing line when the revolution comes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it also has lolicon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell both these things apply to one piece

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

isn't gal gohan about a bunch of high school girls trying to hook up with a teacher?

I read a bit of it and it always seemed like it was just about to grow out of the crush story and be about the girl making friends and developing self esteem from her cooking skills, but didn't. I stopped reading after like 20 issues though so maybe it did change after I gave up on it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

As someone who loved the Higurashi tv show, I'm not interested in a remake unless they're going to double the episode count to cover what was cut. I'm definitely not interested in such a generic style.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

It's just like when Deep Impact and Armageddon came out within a couple of months of each other.
deep impact was the better movie

that scene on the beach still fucks me right up, poo poo is TERRIFYING

Endorph posted:

KLK was made by a somewhat inexperienced team who had been slapped together in the wake of a mass exodus from gainax and thrown to the winds of the industry to wander for a few years before landing in a tiny studio. they probably just wanted to make something. they didn't exactly have the money or time to sit around and map out a coherent story, and its clear from klk's structure and from interviews that it was mostly just the staff making a thing they wanted to, with multiple ideas from non-writing staff members being used, which does lend a lot of energy and verv to the animation but would obviously result in a pretty loose structure. they could have gone episodic with it to try and mitigate that, like space dandy, but i get the desire to imitate the progression in scale that had become sort of a hallmark of theirs.
yeah the ramshackle way they made it, despite the show not being great, it still had some really great stuff in it(Mako in particular) and some fun ideas, even if the show as a whole was a mess. also some really great animation wackiness. the entirety of the osaka stuff was fun as hell. everything to do with the mom was the worst.

There's a twitter post about the way Ryuko treats mako as the series progresses and it's a really good example of subtle character change. It's just a gif of the way Ryuko reacts to Mako's diving-hug from episode 1, 6(?) and 25, and it's super good, but I can't find it.

Gripweed posted:

I read a bit of it and it always seemed like it was just about to grow out of the crush story and be about the girl making friends and developing self esteem from her cooking skills, but didn't. I stopped reading after like 20 issues though so maybe it did change after I gave up on it.
It ends with the teacher getting with Okazaki after she turned 20

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Davincie posted:

it also has lolicon

Does it, the human of the group even said he was not comfortable sleeping with halflings cause they look too much like Children.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
http://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1241380064379330566

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

As someone who loved the Higurashi tv show, I'm not interested in a remake unless they're going to double the episode count to cover what was cut. I'm definitely not interested in such a generic style.

how dare you call akio watanabe generic

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not surprising, given how Babylonia ended.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Keiichi looks like Kanbaru now

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

Cool, still bad though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

Keiichi looks like Kanbaru now
That's a pretty powerful look, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Cool, still bad though.
Why do you think that was the point of my post, and why do you need to be a dismissive dick

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's getting old seeing "context" get brought up as an excuse for why something is bad. It's especially bad when the context is "they weren't even trying to write good." Kill la Kill has an incoherent plot in the middle/end because the writers were bad at their jobs and rehashed the "Ryuko hates Senketsu" plot like five goddamn times. If they took every idea from everyone around them and put it in without a second thought then that doesn't excuse things. If the directors told them to then its on them instead but either way, someone hosed up. At the end of the day, Munto is a badly written show regardless of it being a KyoAni passion project. It doesn't matter that Macross's budget was cut fifty times, the sexist protagonist and drunk idol producer boyfriend cousin are still badly written.

Let people be bad at their jobs, sometimes (most of the time) they are.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the macross example literally isn't even relevant, nobody uses macross getting budget cuts as an excuse for some of its writing sucking poo poo, it's used as context for why it has one of the most comically badly animated knife fights ever

and regardless of that the reason people provide context for why things have flaws is because. that's a way of discussing why something has flaws. it's not to "clear" it of having flaws it's just. a part of discussing the flaws of a piece of media. because media discussion is a complex and multifaceted thing. the point isn't "kill la kill is cleared of its flaws because there's a reason it had them" it's that. the context for why kill la kill was a flawed piece of media doesn't necessarily reflect on literally everything its staff make and mean they're all automatically going to be bad in the exact same ways

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 22, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Does Solomon really need a full anime? It seems pretty short. Also, unlike the other singularities it doesn't work as a standalone narrative; half of it consists of Servants from previous Singularities coming together to battle the pillars, and the rest is a culmination of everything that'a come before.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the next fgo anime is just going to be an animation of the bit from the salem manga where the artist gave mash a top with cropped shoulders entirely so they could have a panel where it looks like gudako and mash sleep naked in bed with each other

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Does Solomon really need a full anime? It seems pretty short. Also, unlike the other singularities it doesn't work as a standalone narrative; half of it consists of Servants from previous Singularities coming together to battle the pillars, and the rest is a culmination of everything that'a come before.

it's a vague anime production announcement so the format isn't really specified, i'd assume that yeah it's hopefully a short series/ovas unless they just do a movie

expanding out the various pillars does seem like a way it could become longer but that sounds like a dumb thing to do (much like adapting the the three final part 1 chapters in a random order lol)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

what would extended versions of the pillar fights even look like? they'd have to make up some crazy powers for the pillars so it wouldn't just be Legendary Heroes vs. hosed Up Tentacle Tree eight times in a row

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean bothering to spend time with your friends from every singularity that we didn't animate and also the event people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

It's getting old seeing "context" get brought up as an excuse for why something is bad. It's especially bad when the context is "they weren't even trying to write good." Kill la Kill has an incoherent plot in the middle/end because the writers were bad at their jobs and rehashed the "Ryuko hates Senketsu" plot like five goddamn times. If they took every idea from everyone around them and put it in without a second thought then that doesn't excuse things. If the directors told them to then its on them instead but either way, someone hosed up. At the end of the day, Munto is a badly written show regardless of it being a KyoAni passion project. It doesn't matter that Macross's budget was cut fifty times, the sexist protagonist and drunk idol producer boyfriend cousin are still badly written.

Let people be bad at their jobs, sometimes (most of the time) they are.
why do you think my point is that kill la kill isn't bad. seriously.

my only point is that klk being a mess (which it is) doesn't mean nakashima is inherently bad at his job, always, forever. it just means he worked on a show that didn't fully come together. he's worked on stuff that has mostly come together, like gl and re: cutie honey, in the same capacity. so it's clear hes capable of it. whether its a question of circumstances, better directors on those projects, whatever, dude clearly has some talent, so i don't think him being on brand new animal is some kinda red flag that it'll have the same problems as klk. that's literally the only point i was trying to make here. you don't have to be a dick.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 22, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also for the record kill la kill is decent at best and the amount of times its at its best rapidly dwindles as it goes on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno if i'll catch bna but i'm kinda skipping out on watching lots of new shows as they air, think eizouken is the only one i've caught during its season recently

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That is the pro-strat if you want to avoid getting burned by series going bad partway through and don't care to participate in the weekly ongoing discussions.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
On that note I started the next seasonal thread and was halfway through, but then my brother jacked my computer monitor to use to set up a workstation for his girlfriend (who needs two monitors), so now I've either gotta find another monitor or go through the arduous task of redoing the whole thing...on my cell phone. :stonk: so don't be surprised if it takes a couple more days for the next thread to come out :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

why do you think my point is that kill la kill isn't bad. seriously.

my only point is that klk being a mess (which it is) doesn't mean nakashima is inherently bad at his job, always, forever. it just means he worked on a show that didn't fully come together. he's worked on stuff that has mostly come together, like gl and re: cutie honey, in the same capacity. so it's clear hes capable of it. whether its a question of circumstances, better directors on those projects, whatever, dude clearly has some talent, so i don't think him being on brand new animal is some kinda red flag that it'll have the same problems as klk. that's literally the only point i was trying to make here. you don't have to be a dick.

Listen buddy, I didn't read what this conversation was actually about. Also, dick is a misandrist insult and I ask that you stop using it. Thank you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)