Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

What game is this?

Super Robot Wars (SRW, or SRT if you're a turbo weeb) J(udgement) was the last game of the series to be released on the Game Boy Advance, and unlike other games in the franchise is in english thanks to the good people at a certain Aerie. Its also completely understandable if you've never heard of the franchise as a whole, given how it is an anime game about giant robots.

Essentially, these games are massive crossovers of mecha anime built around a solid strategy/ tactics RPG akin to Fire Emblem, with the various different stories of the composite franchises tied together by an original plot.

J, despite being the only translated non-OG game for the GBA, is somewhat infamous among fans of the series and mecha as a whole. For one thing, it doesn't have SRW staples like Getter Robo or Universal Century Gundam. It also suffers somewhat from being compared to Super Robot Wars Z in that, unlike Z, J plays some of the more infuriating ( to western fans at least) aspects of its component series completely straight.

However, this game has my favorite OG Mech, the Bellzelute, and Tekkaman Blade, so it counts as hype as gently caress in my book.

Why LP this game?

Because Brunom1 isn't here anymore, but someone has to carry on the torch.

Also, this game has the Bellzelute and Tekkaman Blade.

What series are in this game?

J's series list is pretty unique, and while I have a lot of problems with it, It has Tekkaman Blade and Layzner.

• Blue Comet SPT Layzner (Depression, becomes Fist of the North Star in the second half)
  • Brain Powerd (no, I spelt that right. Tomino tried to make Evangelion but better)
  • DANCOUGA (Not really plot important, but its here I guess)
  • Full Metal Panic (Only Season 1 of the first anime, so no glorious ARX-8)
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam (The best Gundam)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (Only SEED, Fortunately)
  • Hades Project Zeorymer (It's Zeorymer, It's nuts)
  • Martian Successor Nadesico (Behold, the completely bullshit SRWJ Nadesico)
  • Mazinkaiser (OVA + Movie) (IN THE FIRE, BREAK IT DOWN)
  • Chōdenji Robo Combattler V (V! V! V! VICITOLY)
  • Chōdenji Machine Voltes V (Actually helped deposed Ferdinand Marcos in real life)
  • SPACE KNIGHT TEKKAMAN BLADE (Absolutely Radical and the best anime in this game)

Debut shows are Full Metal Panic and the Mazinkaiser Movie. Plot relevant series in this, as in their plots have actual relevance to the plot of this game are everything but Dancouga and Combattler V.

How will you be playing this LP?

We're going to be going for a 100% completion run, which includes doing all of Puzzle Robo. Additionally, for major choices like route splits and which of the powerpuff girls to use in our robot, you goons will be voting on that. God save us all.

Other than that, I'll try to update about once per week, but things may get hectic. Other than that, try to keep spoilers to a minimum.

Now, let's get on with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2npyitr-Q - Super Robot Wars J Main theme: Judgement Justice

I hope you're ready for some infodumping, because I'm not!

Humanity has gone into space.

There are still problems.

People are making themselves better with genetic enhancement, while alien ruins have been found at the bottom of the ocean. Also people are living on Mars.

Now everyone's mad and things are on fire.

Gundam SEED's backstory is happening.

Gundam SEED's "EVERYONE IS RACIST" is happening.

Some loonies have started living inside of Orphan for reasons.

Hehehe, 69.

Lizards from Jupiter are invading

Like every Japanese style military, the Earth Federation said "gently caress Civilians" and left them to die. Because every military is still the IJA.

Unfortunately, Tulips are now just spawning Jovian Robots everywhere.

Everything is on fire.

Also, Terr'ists are happening. SRW J is really the most Global War on Terror of the SRW games.

Gundam SEED is happening.

The two main plot threads of this game are going to be Gundam SEED and Martian Successor Nadesico. May god have mercy on our souls.

Welp.

With that done, we get to the various choices that you goons have to make. The first one is which character we want as our main character.

Toya

Or Calvinia.

Personally, I prefer Toya. His story is better in my opinion, and his character trait of "Reluctant to be here but grows into a KNIGHT" is pretty fun. Calvinia's story can be summed up as "This woman is very, very angry at people for very good reasons." Also, Toya's story gets us into Mazinger early, which is nice, while Calvinia's story tosses us into Nadesico, which is less nice.

Then there's our second choice: Der Robot! This chooses which machine our protagonist starts with, and also determines their mid season upgrade. We have three choices:

This is the Bellzelute, it is my favorite, for a few reasons.

It goes fast. It goes very fast, and its only going to get faster and dodgier later on in the game. This is, actually, one of the reasons to not take it, because the AI in SRW J just will refuse to attack units that are highly agile.

The Bell is also pretty flimsy when you look at it, with the lowest HP of the starting units.

It also has amazing ranged weapons... that it can't use until after moving.

The Coustwell is another real robot. It is, unfortunately, Pink.

Better armor and HP but less mobility than the Bellzelute

But while the Bellzelute relies on a bunch of long ranged weapons it has to hold still to use, the Coustwell punches the gently caress out of everything. Or Kicks them. All of its attacks, even the ranged ones, are the Coustwell either punching or kicking something.

This is the Granteed. It is a Super Robot.

This generally means that its slow, but has great armor and lots of HP. You won't dodge in this, but you will end up defending enough to reduce enemy damage to like 10.

Being a Super Robot, it also has a good mix of ranged and melee attacks that all hit really hard.

Super Robot Wars J also lets you rename the main character, their robot, their robot's attacks, and all of that. If you Goons have good suggestions, I'll implement them.

Finally, we get to choose three favorite series. Our favorite series will give units from that series more upgrade slots and experience, among other things. These series can be any of the series in the game, along with Banpresto Originals, which are mechs designed for the game itself.

Voting will be done in Single Transferable Vote style for Favorite Series and our Mech Choice- everything else will be simple first past the post style voting. Polls close at 12 Noon EST, Christmas Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Toya on the Granteed! No need for anything else, equip it with Super Alloy new Z, pump up it's attack and armor and watch how ALL the enemies throw themselves to be ripped apart in your hands. It is like seeing a final boss attacking the protagonist party right outside the starting town.

Or like trying to defeat The Black Knight the first time he appears in Path of Radiance.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Coustwell. Because real men fight with their mecha fists, and wear pink. :dealwithit:

As for the rest, I'll leave that up to the others.

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 22, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Toya on Granteed! It kinda looks like GaoGaiGar so hell yeah

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Honestly, I don't want to cheese the game too hard.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Honestly J the kinda game that you should cheese. This game's got... problems with... people'll see when we get to chapter 1. But personally every game has a limit of "How long until I'm officially sick of your poo poo" and J hits early. So Toya and Granteed because it fits the best with the Knight Aesthetic, he's... just more interesting than Calvina is and finally... It's how I play the game.

This game got translated and I'm glad it did, but... it's not very interesting, it's just very pretty.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Gonna buck the trend and say Calvina in the Granteed. Also you should give the weapons very super-robot names because what's the point of naming them otherwise?

Also your images seem kind of blurry, which combined with the small text makes it a bit hard to read. Is there a fix for that?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Go with Calvina in the whatever

Also pick G Gundam as a favorite series

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Touya in the Vorlent. :colbert:

Do it, you know you want to.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Angry lady in punchbot

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
If there was someone to help me make the screenshots from Visual Boy Advance look better, I'd be glad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Super Robot Wars Judgement. The swan song to the GBA for the franchise and a...mixed bag overall. The best way to sum it up would be "It tries to do stuff, but ultimately fails to stick the landing.", and a lot of it comes down to story cohesion as we will see. On the flipside, it is a perfect entry for the franchise because it features a decent showing of what the franchise does as a whole, and doesn't require you to deal with funky mechanics like Limit in the older games or other janky content.

As for votes, go Calvina in the Coustwell for protagonist. For favorites, go Nadesico and SEED, since they'll be our primary warship providers and those things always could use a hand in getting stuff going. Third vote is your choice, to make it easy for your sanity.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'll refrain from voting for a protagonist, but should point out that while there have been other Judgement LPs elsewhere, I haven't seen any that show off Calvina's route.

For series, go for Banpresto, Nadesico, and Tekkaman

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Ah, Super Robot Wars Judgement. The swan song to the GBA for the franchise and a...mixed bag overall. The best way to sum it up would be "It tries to do stuff, but ultimately fails to stick the landing.", and a lot of it comes down to story cohesion as we will see. On the flipside, it is a perfect entry for the franchise because it features a decent showing of what the franchise does as a whole, and doesn't require you to deal with funky mechanics like Limit in the older games or other janky content.

As for votes, go Calvina in the Coustwell for protagonist. For favorites, go Nadesico and SEED, since they'll be our primary warship providers and those things always could use a hand in getting stuff going. Third vote is your choice, to make it easy for your sanity.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Calvina in Granteed

Angry Lady needs a big punchy mech to punch people she's angry at.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Punching is more of a coustwell thing.
Anyway , Touya in Granteed . I always go for the Super Robot when you have to choose

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Put Touya in the Granteed

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lady in the punchbot.

Tiny man
Mazinkaiser
G Gundam

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Calvina in Coustwell, mostly because I never see anyone use the Coustwell.
And seeing angry lady punch people in a cool pink bot sounds fun.

And I don't really think calling the series SRT is any more weeby than calling it SRW, considering it was only called SRT for the OG localizations.
But, well, I guess it also doesn't really matter.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I used Calvina in the Coustwell for my own run. It really fits her.

But yeah, looking back on it, use Calvina in Granteed just because the game's a serious drag.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've played this game way too many times. It does have one of the more interesting NG+ mechanics in that you can customize your spell list and how much of an upgrade enemy units get.

That said, Calvina in the Granteed. Every attack needs to contain profanity. 'gently caress Off Punch!'

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, I honestly preferred playing as Touya, so...

Touya in the Granteed.

G Gundam
Nadesico
Banpresto

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Toya on the Granteed! No need for anything else, equip it with Super Alloy new Z, pump up it's attack and armor and watch how ALL the enemies throw themselves to be ripped apart in your hands. It is like seeing a final boss attacking the protagonist party right outside the starting town.

Or like trying to defeat The Black Knight the first time he appears in Path of Radiance.

I'd think we could at least try for some in-genre descriptions as well. For example, it could be compared to anyone trying to take down CCA era Amuro.

Touya in the Coustwell, because if pink is manly enough for Char, it should be good enough for anyone.

And as for my series vote, G Gundam is the natural choice, because it's hilarious to have people discriminating against genetically modified space people for their inherent superiority when at the same time, baseline humans can meditate under waterfalls until they can punch robots to death.

Like you do.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Don't care about the mech or series, but definitely go with Calvina for the pilot.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Trust me, by the midpoint of this game, everyone reading this LP is going to absolutely hate ZAFT.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
ZAFT exists solely to break against the armour of Combattler V.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I really liked J because it has Tekkaman Blade, but its handling of the units from it is...kind of lackluster, especially compared to W. The short version is that Blade is undeployable for Plot Reasons way too often.

Protagonist vote goes to Calvina and while I'm a bit torn on which Real to go for, I'm going for Coustwell because I think it's cooler (even if Calvina's stats are more shooty, and tuned for the Bellezute).

I am a tad fuzzy on how the voting for the favorites works, but if we only get one vote, Banpresto Originals because it sucks when you lose your Favorited unit because of a route split, and this will keep that from happening. If we get three, then also Tekkaman Blade because gently caress yes Tekkaman Blade, and Zeorymer because that thing is loving bonkers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

super-redguy posted:

ZAFT exists solely to break against the armour of Combattler V.

What breaks against paper?!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Onmi posted:

A bunch of arrogant rookies just might.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Touya in the Granteed

The Next voter's favored series vote counts twice.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Fivemarks posted:

Honestly, I don't want to cheese the game too hard.

Granteed cheese isn't all that good. Belzelute cheese, on the other hand, is where it's at.

As for favourites: G Gundam, Brainpowerd and Full Metal Panic!

If you feel like the game would be too easy otherwise, you could let people pick your team for you. That's always fun.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I forgot to add my favorites series, sorry

Banpresto Originals so your main character will ALWAYS be the main character

G Gundam and Mazinkaiser because [SPOILERS]

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Hearing that every previous attempt to LP this has used Touya has me feeling comfortable asking for Calvina, because I used Touya and want to see the differences.
For the mech, go with Bellzelute since it's your favorite.

For favorites, go with
Nadesico
G Gundam
Tekkaman Blade

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Onmi posted:

Okay its five spirit pools help considerably.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

Rock.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Thanks to everyone for voting- Its good to know that people are interested in this LP.

Thankfully, I remembered that Toya and Calvinia have different spirit lists, so I decided that which protag to go through for play through 1 would be decided by the choice of mech: Granteed means Toya, Coustwell means Calvinia.

Fortunately for us, Granteed won, meaning that we're going with Toya in the Granteed.

At the same time, the choice for Favored series came down to a three way tie for Third and Second series, so I just picked from the two options which I preferred.

Our Favorite Series are: G Gundam Mazinkaiser, Tekkaman Blade

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

The Granteed is a beast. This game is really built for Super robots because you can get armor very high, there are many barrier'd units and enemy units tend to attack the less evasive unit within range

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dodge tank in dodge tank games only. Real robot armour tank for style points.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
Touya in Granteed, because according to Mood Dwellers, that's his canon mecha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Touya in the Bellzeute because hey it's your favorite.

Repping that Tekkaman Blade favorite