Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And there we have it, the final Stock BioWare Puzzle.

Is it even possible for you to get a game over at the final trial, or is your life really never in any danger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You can't get a Game Over but you can get banned from the planet, which can make your life more difficult depending on where you are in the game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlazetheInferno posted:

There tend to be very few really intelligent dark-side characters - especially here, most dark-side choices tend to be impulsive, heat-of-the-moment short-sighted decisions that satisfy anger, bloodlust, or petty greed, often to the point of going out of your way to do so. Characters like Revan, Sidious, and other Dark-siders shown to be capable of great forethought and planning ahead seem to be the exceptions.

To a Light-sider, Darkside decisions tend to be evil for the sake of evil.
To a Dark-sider, Lightside decisions tend to be favoring practicality over indulging bloodlust.

I mean Palpatine is smart in that he actually plays the long game and plans things out to an insane degree...on the other hand he keeps gleefully going "YES KILL MY SECOND AND BE MY NEW RIGHT HAND SITH" :moreevil: at the earilest opportunity and that certainly has no possible downsides at all :v:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Nolan is an idiot. Why not grab some kolto and test the toxin out on first beforehand? What intelligent person would just assume the kolto would be okay after being exposed to an untested toxin?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Nolan is an idiot. Why not grab some kolto and test the toxin out on first beforehand? What intelligent person would just assume the kolto would be okay after being exposed to an untested toxin?

He doesn't assume there are no effects on the Kolto. He just doesn't care.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, I can understand if they played up the “and what if blowing up the extractor doesn’t do anything to stop the mega shark?” angle; after all, you don’t have any definitive proof that nothing else could have caused it to start going crazy. If that hadn’t worked, then the Republic (and by extension, you) would be doubly-screwed, since I doubt that they could do anything else about it in a timely manner without majorly pissing off the Selkath.

Obviously, in hindsight poisoning the shark and kolto would be a terrible and short-sighted idea, but I could at least see an argument that taking the surefire way of removing it so you could get at the Star Map it was in the way of takes priority, considering the entire fate of the war hinges on finding the Star Forge.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean Palpatine is smart in that he actually plays the long game and plans things out to an insane degree...on the other hand he keeps gleefully going "YES KILL MY SECOND AND BE MY NEW RIGHT HAND SITH" :moreevil: at the earilest opportunity and that certainly has no possible downsides at all :v:

Honestly, I don't think that was really a major blunder by Palpatine. I'm going to assume he cleared the plan with Vader beforehand, because it'd be fairly easy to spin when Anakin's whole deal is fanatical and short-sighted devotion to his family's safety.
"Anakin, I'd love to have your son on board, I truly do, but just think. He's been trained at first by Obi-Wan and then by Yoda. You know how treacherous and hypocrital the Jedi are, they clearly filled your son's head with the same lies they tried to brainwash you with all those years ago.
I hope I'm wrong and Luke will be willing to see truth peacefully, but I fear that your old mentor's lies went unchallenged for too long, and only some powerful act of sacrifice will break through the lies.
You came to me all these years ago because you feared for Padmé's life, and I failed to help you, my good friend. Now that Luke is back with us, the Jedi treachery that kept him from you finally exposed, I promise I will keep him safe"

And so on and so forth. Master manipulator is Palpy's shtick, I don't think it's be an hard sell.

The moment he actually hosed up was when he completely lost it and decided to torture Luke to death. While standing right next to the guy whose whole deal is fanatical and short-sighted devotion to his family's safety.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm actually mostly fine with this Light/Dark side decision, largely because the entire thing is surrounded by a lot of unknowns. Yes, since it's a video game, you know both methods will lead to a solution of some sort. The toxic thing is impulsive and dangerous yeah, but the flip side is that there isn't a way a person in-character should know that blowing up the machinery would even work. Maybe the shark would decide to just eat you anyways because it's disoriented from something EXPLODING next to it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

zakharov posted:

the slow moving in the scuba suit lasts like five minutes, you big babies

Yeah but in this sequence it feels like five hours

Also if you need to indulge your Dick Side you can just stick a lightsaber through the locker that crazy guy's hiding in, that should tide you over for a little while.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Gnome de plume posted:

Yeah but in this sequence it feels like five hours

Also if you need to indulge your Dick Side you can just stick a lightsaber through the locker that crazy guy's hiding in, that should tide you over for a little while.

I'm stealing the Dick Side. That's too good not to use at some point.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't know why everyone keeps insisting that the Dark Side needs some kind of huge philosophy and everyone is making a big deal out of it when the Sith philosophy is just bullshit designed to let evil assholes remove their impulse control. People like to talk about Palpatine, Palpatine was never interested in any kind of philosophy*, dude just wanted POWAH until JJ Abrams came along. The entire philosophy of Sith servitude is learning what you can so you can take over the Anime Club of guys who dress in black and wave red lightsabers and then constantly being paranoid the selfish assholes you've made yourself master of are planning to usurp you because they're selfish assholes.

*No, I don't give a gently caress about some Star Wars shovelware book that's level 2 canon or whatever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
uh excuse you the Star Wars Canon System didn't use numbers, it used letters

Wookieepedia's best article posted:

The Holocron's database included a field for a single letter (G, T, C, S, N or D) representing the level of canonicity of that element; these letters were since informally applied to the levels of canon themselves: G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, N-canon and D-canon. As part of his work with the Holocron, Chee was responsible for the creation of this classification system, and he spent the early stages developing and refining it. It was discontinued with the April 2014 reboot.

G, T, C and S together formed the overall Star Wars continuity. Each ascending level typically overrode the lower ones; for example, Boba Fett's backstory was radically altered with the release of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, forcing the retcon of older source material to fall in line with the new G-canon backstory. However, this was not always absolute, and the resolution of all contradictions was handled on a case-by-case basis.

because obviously GTCSND is the most logical, rational canon system :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

In a "harder" sci-fi setting, you'd know more about both Koltho and the poison, and would have some way of evaluating whether killing the shark would affect the koltho production. As it stands, you have no reason to believe the shark is the source of all life on this planet (?) and the female scientist suddenly going "oh yeah, killing the shark might even mess with the koltho" comes out of nowhere.

So blaming dark side Revan for failing to reload her game \ see into the future and understand that these warnings were actually underestimating the scope of the disaster doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Xander77 posted:

In a "harder" sci-fi setting, you'd know more about both Koltho and the poison, and would have some way of evaluating whether killing the shark would affect the koltho production. As it stands, you have no reason to believe the shark is the source of all life on this planet (?) and the female scientist suddenly going "oh yeah, killing the shark might even mess with the koltho" comes out of nowhere.

So blaming dark side Revan for failing to reload her game \ see into the future and understand that these warnings were actually underestimating the scope of the disaster doesn't really make a lot of sense.

You don't need to see the future to realize that Sami's fears aren't unreasonable. If nothing else, you'd think any intelligent person would stop and consider how the kolto would be affected.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

You don't need to see the future to realize that Sami's fears aren't unreasonable. If nothing else, you'd think any intelligent person would stop and consider how the kolto would be affected.

Yeah, anyone who is remotely familiar with rudimentary biology or ecology would realize introducing an untested poison into a system without considering the long-term consequences is a massively bad idea.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, anyone who is remotely familiar with rudimentary biology or ecology would realize introducing an untested poison into a system without considering the long-term consequences is a massively bad idea.
No? Yeah, I'm go with "of course not, enough poison to kill a single fish (or even a single whale) wouldn't cause any sort of long-lasting ecological damage on it's own, that's not how any of this works IRL".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Its in unknown compound vented in unknown quantities at the source. It's not a dose designed to kill one, normal sized shark, it's everything they have on hand.

Theres also a big difference in the amount based on what it is. Some poisons require you to drink cupfulls while others will surely kill at even a few ppm.

And that's also ignoring that there's a big difference in dropping a poison upwind/upstream of an area and downstream of it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The way I see the choices in this case kind of boil down to this.

- Blow up the equipment: Maybe with the stuff gone, the maybe-wild shark will not attack if we pass by?

- Poison the waters: This'll definitely kill the shark, but we don't know the wider consequences because it's loving poison.

I do believe that this is one of the better light/dark choices because of the uncertainty mixed in there. The uncertainty of the dark side choice is in any collateral damage, whereas the uncertainty in the light side choice is a serious risk to yourself since you're effectively hoping the shark won't attack you after. It IS a selfish act to prioritize yourself over any potential environmental impact.... but at least you're actually getting SOMETHING more than 'i want to eat this baby'.

Unfortunately with the game formatting, you KNOW blowing up the equipment would work, it's just how the design is telegraphing the decision. But as I said before, at least this feels like a selfish decision that an actual person could actually potentially make.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It would be kind of hilarious if you went through all the trouble of blowing up the equipment... Only to find out after the fact that it was actually some Sith transmitter that was causing everything to go to hell.

Probably less so if that was still the only way to progress on the LS path, though.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Keldulas posted:

It IS a selfish act to prioritize yourself over any potential environmental impact.... but at least you're actually getting SOMETHING more than 'i want to eat this baby'.

And now I'm picturing Palpatine just stealing people's children so he can feed on their youth.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Look, we all know Peter Thiel is a sith lord.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
On my first run through as light side I couldn't figure out the puzzle, got bored and killed the shark.

Then I got banned from Manaan and nothing of value was lost.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Manaan has 3 loving trial segments. And none of them are coded with the very reasonable judge behavior of "weren't you just in my court room?"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
*waves hand*

This is not the defendant you were looking for

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ikanreed posted:

Manaan has 3 loving trial segments. And none of them are coded with the very reasonable judge behavior of "weren't you just in my court room?"

Yeeeeeeep. The copy-paste is strong with this trial system.

I think you can ignore one of them but two are plot-mandated, so that isn't even a reason to not have some form of reaction to why the same person keeps getting dragged into a room with 5 identical selkath.

the smallest silver lining, perhaps, is that they did learn from this. Bioware did a much more entertaining job with the "5 judges with varying opinions" bit in Jade Empire. Also better outcomes. Also John Cleese. Also only once. Really, improved in every way there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Psion posted:

Bioware did a much more entertaining job with the "5 judges with varying opinions" bit in Jade Empire. Also better outcomes.
As in "each judge will change his mind if he hears one arbitrary style of argument, but will change it back if you use it again"? Yeah..... that was not an improvement.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ikanreed posted:

That's a good point actually. One is a sidequest so fine, but the last trial we have is like guarenteed to be after already been in the court room. Why couldn't that just be the default reaction?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Part 39: Unknown World

Last time, we found the final Star Map at the bottom of the Manaan ocean, and that means we've now got the hyperspace coordinates pointing us at the Star Forge. We'll head that way very soon, but first we should finish our conversations with our party members.

We'll start with Canderous.

He's still thinking about the business with Jagi so we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out what he has to say about that, but he is willing to talk about his time working for Davik so let's hear it.

Beating up people who wouldn't - or couldn't - pay, strong-arming his competitors, killing who he said. It was busy work, nothing decent.

Not much of a challenge for a Mandalorian war hero, that's for sure.

I've killed many people. I can't say I'm proud of it, but I have. Criminals, competitors, businessmen, police... women, children... Jedi were a better challenge, but they hardly ever poked around in the Under City. ... Until you came along... But I never wanted to challenge you. Never felt the need. Maybe I knew I couldn't win... just like all those years ago.

The "Jedi were a better challenge..." line is not subtitled on Xbox.

Maybe you would have. But you're not who you were back then, I can tell. You've changed... and maybe I have too. I remember a time when I could do anything I wanted... Kill, maim, murder... It was all the same to me. But now... now that I'm older, I can look back and regret...

That's surprising. I didn't know Mandalorians knew the meaning of the word regret, unless it was in the context of regretting not killing someone.

It feels like... like something has changed inside and I don't know what it is. Bah! This is unbecoming of a warrior! Let's get on with everything before I start getting sentimental or something.

Interesting. Canderous seems to be reflecting on his life choices a little bit, but who knows if that'll ever result in anything. He himself doesn't seem to be sure what's happening.

One more chat with Jolee, let's go.

We'll start by asking his opinion on the Sunry trial and its end result.

Well...

...maybe? Maybe not. Sunry is absolutely 100% guilty of murdering that woman in cold blood, which probably should result in some kind of punishment. Then again, she was a Dark Jedi and her death was technically beneficial to us and the Republic in general because she would surely have gone on to kill many more people herself, but murdering your mistress by shooting her in the back while she slept is still pretty loving cold.

Bah. I don't want to talk about this anymore. My jaw aches.

Come on, you didn't even get started. Let's bother the old man again.

Sure, why not?

Oh no, not another one!

That's what I said!

*ahem* Now where was I? Oh yes, the story... you almost made me forget about it. Nice try, but I'm not that old just yet. Heh heh.

drat, our incredible distraction tactic failed.

The young man follows the snake into the forest. He clears the branches out of its path and helps it over obstacles. He even works to keep it fed.

This is a very long story.

Shush! Many nights pass and still the young man continues to follow the snake. He even follows it into the sands of the great desert. In the desert, the snake eventually grows hungry. It turns and bites the young man, its poison quickly working its way into his system. Finally curious, the snake looks at the boy as he lays dying and asks, "Why were you foolish enough to follow me all the way out into the desert?" The boy looks back and replies, "Did I follow you? I thought I was leading you away from everyone else..." And then he died.

The boy must have been too busy dying to worry about the snake suddenly being able to talk, because he's taking that remarkably well. Or maybe, just maybe this story isn't meant to be taken completely literally.

I've told you before that you have a destiny before you. This does not mean, however, that your future is already written. They are not the same thing. You have the choice of which direction you take your destiny in. More than engine-sucking Andor, certainly... but even he had a choice. So far you've chosen to take the lighter path. Can you stay that course, even through the challenges ahead? We'll have to wait and see.

Due to the way the game mechanics work, we couldn't really turn to the dark side at this point even if we wanted to. Well, we technically can, and there is a point where you commit to one of the paths for good, but we've already spent all our points on light side powers and there is no way to respec so a shocking last-minute heel turn would only make us weaker.

I do that because I think it's important. More important than remaining in my home and pretending the galaxy doesn't exist. That's why I'm here.

Now, then... I've chatted enough for one lifetime. Let's get this show on the road, shall we?

Let's do that.

This conversation completes Jolee's personal quest, so he won't be regaling us with his tales anymore. I'm glad I was able to at least show off all of his content, because a lot of it is pretty entertaining.

Now then. We could head to the Star Forge system immediately, but as I mentioned at the end of the last update, we still need to pay one last visit to Suvam at the Yavin station.

So, let's head over there first.

Bye, Manaan, and good riddance as far as I'm concerned. All that backtracking got really old really fast, especially since your party members tend to get stuck on geometry a lot while navigating Ahto City. Manaan was also the longest of the Star Map planets at least in terms of updates, as we spent six updates there. Of course, a couple of those updates mostly consisted of the Sunry investigation and trial, which is completely optional.

Alright, Suvam, show us what you've got.

Can't wait!

Oh. An invisible Trandoshan. That's probably not good.

More invisible Trandoshans. Definitely not good.

Suvam is understandably surprised to see a bunch of lizardmen materialize inside his station.

The Trandoshans still don't have any voice acting in this version.

No, I'm pretty sure we did.

The big climax of Suvam's storyline is this last skirmish with the Trandoshans. There are... I think seven Trandoshans in total, and they can actually be kind of nasty if you're not paying attention.

There are several Trandoshans on the sides of the room, just tossing thermal detonators at us. That is not a situation we particularly wish to be in for any length of time.

This Trandoshan is not having a good day.

Neither is this one. Each Trandoshan is worth a rather generous 700-750 XP, and Zila ends up gaining a level here.

One last Trandoshan, and that'll do it. Everyone's gained a level now.

Hopefully, I'll have time before they send someone else to investigate... maybe rig their ship to take off somewhere else... Thank you for your help, at least. I know I couldn't have taken them on my own. I'll let you look at my special stash. It's the stuff I wasn't showing them. It won't be cheap, but if you want it, you can buy it.

"If" we want it?

drat straight we want it! The Mantle of the Force and the Heart of the Guardian are unique lightsaber crystals, which are very expensive but completely worth it. Not only do they have crazy stats, they also boost the stats of other crystals you have equipped and provide various bonuses for them. We can't quite buy both with our current funds, but that's nothing we can't fix by selling off some crap we've accumulated.

Alright, level up time. We've got the master versions of Force Focus and Jedi Sense now.

We'll also take Improved Flurry because why not, it's not like we have a lot of other feats we'd particularly need at the moment.

For our Force power this level, we'll pick Throw Lightsaber. This isn't necessarily something we'll use a whole lot in combat even though it is nice to have a ranged attack, but there is a moment later in the game where this power comes in very handy indeed. We'll get two powers at level 20, so we'll still be able to get Knight Speed and Master Speed for those delicious extra attacks.

20, by the way, is the level cap in the original KotOR.

Juhani gets an extra STR point and some stuff that doesn't really matter much.

Jolee gets Force Wave because I'm stupid. As I mentioned a couple of updates ago, AI companions can't use Force Wave so it's kinda worthless most of the time.

The Trandoshans each drop 1000 credits, some healing items, and most also have three thermal detonators. Thermal detonators sell for a handsome sum, so we'll offload them to Suvam for a nice profit.

We'll buy the Light Exoskeleton and the Baragwin Shadow Armor. Most of the armor here isn't really worth it to us because we'll be spending most of the rest of the game with an all-Jedi party, but I figured I'd get these light armors for Mission because I'll be putting her in the party shortly.

Err... that is not how that is supposed to look.

Neither is that, for that matter. The emulation bug in the upgrade screen seems to affect the special crystals a lot worse than the regular ones.

No such issues during gameplay, thankfully. I gotta say I will miss our green and purple sabers, but these look nice as well.

Now it's time to go to the Star Forge system. This is the point of no return, there is no coming back so hopefully you've done all the quests you wanted to do. We have (aside from Juhani and Carth's dialogues because the Leviathan was the cutoff point for those, including romances), so let's go.

The Star Forge awaits us.

Meanwhile, in what appears to be a temple of some sort (with architecture looking quite similar to what we saw in the Revan flashback earlier)...

Hey, Bastila's not dead! Well, of course she's not. Malak wants to turn her to the dark side.

I guess he's currently in the process of attempting exactly that.

This scene appears in the trailer FMV at the start of the Xbox version, along with many, many other scenes from the endgame.

Malak was never the smartest or most creative guy, we know that much.

He is, however, extremely creepy in this scene, as evidenced by the way he strokes Bastila's face there.

Bastila is still refusing to give in to the dark side.

We don't know how long this has been going on, or how long Bastila will be able to withstand Malak's torture. I wonder if Zila can see this happen due to her Force connection with Bastila, or if this is just for the audience's benefit like the earlier scenes with Malak on the Leviathan where he talked to Saul Karath, Calo Nord or Darth Bandon.

Here it is. The Star Forge system. This is what we've been searching for.

And here is the contraption itself, which looks quite a bit like the Sith emblem in this game. Or, well, the emblem looks like the Star Forge, really. We don't yet have any idea how it actually works, but it does appear it's sucking energy from this star. That probably has something to do with its functionality, but we have no clue how the Builders created it or how it creates ships and weapons as quickly as it does.

You know, these ships. The invincible Sith fleet.

Some backup would certainly be helpful.

You sure about that, Carth? The alarm seems to indicate otherwise.

This scene is also in the trailer.

These guys aren't going to report anything if we can help it.

Would've been nice to get a unique fighter battle FMV for this, though.

At least the background is unique, with the blue planet up ahead in the distance.

And, of course, the Star Forge itself on the opposite side. The battle itself isn't too exciting, so let's just cut ahead.

This short scene is unique as well, because obviously they couldn't reuse the regular "fighter battle won" cutscene due to the fact that shows the Ebon Hawk jumping to hyperspace at the end.

That's probably not good.

A crash landing is the last thing we need at the moment, but there's not much else we can do right now. Hopefully, the landing won't be too hard.

This planet is very pretty. Is that a Republic cruiser in the water? How did that get to the Star Forge system?

That landing was actually quite smooth, all things considered. Well done, Carth.

It was fine, Mission.

That is going to complicate things.

Oh yeah, we still had the gizka on board. If they're still on board when you land on this planet, they actually should leave the Ebon Hawk. I say "should" because they actually didn't this time. They'll be around until the very end of the game, but that's okay because they're basically part of the crew by now.

Could the Star Forge itself be generating the field, or is it coming from the planet?

This is also true. Too bad we didn't know about the disruptor field before we called for backup.

Okay, apparently the disruptor field is coming from this planet, and the source is pretty close as well. That's good, because otherwise it would've been a real problem to disable that thing.

We do, of course, need those ship parts if we're going to leave anytime soon.

Yeah, that too.

Can't really do much about that, unless she is close by as well.

Well, we say that, but do we believe it? Bastila said multiple times that she's always struggled with the dark side.

Jolee isn't optimistic, either.

I'm still not a fan of how some of these light side choices have you completely denounce your identity as Revan without giving you the option to go "yeah, I'm Revan but I'm not Darth Revan anymore."

We can probably find the wreckage of a downed ship along the way. If we're lucky we can salvage some stabilizers from it to get off this planet.

Right, so we've got two objectives. 1. Find ship parts, 2. Disable the disruptor field. Seems simple enough, but surely there must be more to it.

Indeed, Mission. Indeed.

We've got this. That's the only option, really.

Well then, let's explore this planet we're on.

Welcome to what the game calls "Unknown World". This planet really does look pretty nice.

Before we do anything else, let's level Mission up. She gets Sneak Attack IX, which is the last rank of Sneak Attack and provides a sneak attack damage bonus of 9-54.

The Baragwin Shadow Armor is good, but not the best option we've got for Mission because we're not using stealth.

There we go, that's better. We also equip Mission with the Sith Assassin Pistol, which is a decent blaster that also deals 1-10 ion damage on top of the regular energy damage output.

Please don't point that thing at us, Mission.

Well, onward and upward. We're not finding anything if we stay on the beach and admire the view of the ocean.

Hello, who's this? Looks like... Builders, actually.

Yep, definitely Builders. They look just like the one in the mind prison.

The actual name of the Builders is Rakata, and we'll be learning a lot more about them and the Infinite Empire soon. These guys just seem like... bandits, honestly.

They're just as susceptible to lightsabers and Force powers as anyone else.

When we finish off the Rakatan warriors, these Duros emerge from behind some rocks.

That's what we're here for!

Fellow victims of the disruptor field, presumably.

Our ship sank far out to sea, but a handful of us were able to make it to this island... more than you see here, though.

Of the 10 of us who remained here, we two are the only remaining survivors...

The only beings who crash here that can hold them off are the Mandalorians, and we dare not go near them... we know of their depredations too well.

what

I guess it'd make some sense for Mandalorians to crash-land here as they wander the galaxy. How did the mining survey ship find its way to this system, though? Traveling to systems without the proper hyperspace coordinates is a really bad idea, and as far as I'm aware only the Star Maps can point you to the Star Forge system.

With their weapons they raid and kill other survivors, and can fight off the natives as well. They seem to have some sort of invisibility or light cloaking shield that hides them until they strike.

But we cannot delay here much longer... The longer we stay, the more likely either the Mandalorians or the natives will find us and kill us.

Hey, we've got plenty of room.

I think our crew could handle them.

I could have sworn these guys could be persuaded to stay on the Ebon Hawk as merchants, at least on PC, but that apparently is not the case. I must have been thinking of some of the salarians from Virmire in Mass Effect. Speaking of merchants, there are none on the Unknown World and there's no way back to the other planets, so hopefully you brought enough healing items and that kind of stuff.

It would be worth the risk, rather than stay here and face certain death... I thank you one last time, human, for saving us. We shall remember you, and hope that, should you escape, you will tell the Republic of those of us stranded here.

The Duros wander off, never to be seen again. Will we remember to inform the Republic about them? Probably not, not that we get that option to do so in-game anyway.

Right. Let's move on.

Up the hill, we run into more Rakatan warriors.

One of them is an elite warrior, who is stronger than the rest and awards ten times the XP, but still goes down easily. We do so much damage and our Force powers are so strong that most things can barely scratch us.

Here, we have a choice. Should we head left here, or keep going forward?

The path to the left actually leads away from the temple we can just about see here, so we'll keep going forward. We were told to investigate the temple, so we'll do that first.

Gizka may or may not be native to the Unknown World.

As I said, this planet is quite pretty.

This path leads straight to the temple, so let's go see about disabling that disruptor field.

The Rakatan warriors have tamed rancors to fight alongside them. Thankfully, these rancors are young and far less dangerous than their fully grown brethren, but they're still not a joke or anything.

The Rakatans don't fare too well.

The rancors, on the other hand, can be a bit more of a pain. We are doing damage with Force Wave, but they don't get knocked down.

Mission, however, does.

Stasis works great on rancors, so the rest of this should be a formality.

That'll do it.

And there is the temple. Eagle-eyed readers may notice that this is the same temple we saw in the Revan reveal cutscene.

There are some rancors stomping around the temple grounds, but we'll ignore them for now.

All we need to do here is enter the temple and deal with the disruptor field.

Or not, apparently. How are we going to get past this thing?

As we explore the grounds, we run into the Mandalorians the Duros mentioned.

We should probably start by taking down the captain.

The Mandalorians like tossing grenades because they're jerks.

But with the captain cut down, the rest of them won't pose much of a problem.

Sure, let's just take his head. Why not? Who doesn't love carrying a severed head around the place? We also find the Mandalorian Assault Armor, which actually comes with a helmet. I'd give that to Canderous if he was in the party, but he's not so never mind that.

The Mandalorian head is actually for a minor sidequest that we're about to lock ourselves out of.

Hm. This area looks too safe.

The story of The Sith Lords Restoration Project, summed up in three images.

Since there are mines all over the place, we'll take control of Mission and walk around so we can find the mines and disarm them.

These are plasma vents, which are actually just deadly plasma mines.

Instead of disabling this one, Mission decides to walk over it. Well, whatever works.

This right here is what we came for. The ship parts we need to fix the Ebon Hawk, just sitting out in the open. There is another way to obtain the parts, but this is quicker and easier.

We'll return to the Ebon Hawk shortly, but first we'll explore the rest of the south beach area.

As we head west, we have to deal with a pair of wild rancors. These are stronger than the young rancors, but still not nearly as fearsome as a fully grown rancor would be.

Maybe someone in that settlement can tell us how to get past the temple shield. Or maybe they'll try to kill us, like everyone else we've run into so far.

Hm?

Who are you and why have you come?

Might as well tell the truth.

What? Really? That was unexpected. Clearly, Revan and Malak must have stopped by this settlement when they were looking for the Star Forge years ago.

Next time, we will have a friendly chat with the Elders and see if we can do something about that temple barrier.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 5, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Gizka were not native to this world. By bringing them here, we have caused an irreversible change to their ecosystem. Just like rabbits in Australia.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Two more fun ways to get insta-killed in this chapter!

Touch that lightning? Total party kill!

Use a dialogue option that doesn't appear here because of the order in which you do things? INSTANT DEATH!!!

And yeah, money ceases to have meaning as soon as you come here. Drain your finances before coming here, people.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

zakharov posted:

And yeah, money ceases to have meaning as soon as you come here. Drain your finances before coming here, people.

That's a neat slogan. Wonder if Britain is going to use that now that Brexit is back on.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Doc M posted:

I guess it'd make some sense for Mandalorians to crash-land here as they wander the galaxy. How did the mining survey ship find its way to this system, though? Traveling to systems without the proper hyperspace coordinates is a really bad idea, and as far as I'm aware only the Star Maps can point you to the Star Forge system.

The maps are more to pinpoint the system the Star Forge is in. The system itself still exists but the crashing field is probably enough to make most people say to avoid the system. Kinda like the Bermuda Triangle of space.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Mission why are you talking about saving bastilla? We're marooned on a planet near the star forge. How many with on this planet did we see before you assumed she must be HERE?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

To be fair, the base of operations for the Sith is pretty much the likeliest place Malak would take her, considering how well-defended it apparently is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Exactly. And yet, Mission thinks shes on this planet, with no visible Sith, instead of the star forge that's covered in them.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I like that Jolee basically knew exactly who you are when you show up and the first thing he does is send you out to get rid of poachers hanging out on his lawn to see what you are like. He gives you a pretty neutral quest and a good reason not to kill anyone to see what you will do. The voice acting when you go to the Wookie Star Map also sounds like Jolee is not surprised it is responding to you nor does he sound surprised you want to go see the Star Map which suggested he was just playing along. Ironically he can see the “swirling force” around Revan and interpret it really well even though he disparaged the whole concept.

All his stories revolve around themes about not falling to the Dark or even too far to the Light as he saw it. They are about the flaws of the Jedi, embracing passion without turning to evil, Jedi (including him) being buffoonish, and great Force destinies being overrated. There is also one line that I do not think we saw where you talk about Malak possibly winning and he says it will not last. He says that if Malak wins the galaxy is in for a bad century or two but these things always reverse eventually. Nice way of making the quest important but not “the fate of everyone for all time”. Perfect old man long-term wisdom. He should run a 12 step program for fallen Jedi.

There is also a line in KOTOR 2 where someone talks about Jedi falling in love and asks if that ever happens and someone (I think it is the protagonist) responds that that is called “pulling a Bindo”.

Jolee is the best.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Beware the venem of the snek.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Telegnostic posted:

Beware the venem of the snek.

That story was also a hint he knew who you are.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Part 40: Council of Elders

Last time, we found the Star Forge and immediately crash-landed on a tropical planet after getting caught in a disruptor field. Not only do we need to shut down the field to get off the planet, but we also happened to call the Republic fleet for backup and we really have to shut this thing off before the entire fleet crashes on the unknown world.

Exploring the planet, we came across a settlement inhabited by members of the Rakata race, the remnants of the former Builders of the Infinite Empire. These Rakata call themselves the Elders and seemed to recognize us, so let's find out what they have to say.

Since we already started doing this "no I'm not Revan anymore" shtick last time, might as well keep going.

Well, yes, but it's complicated.

Kind of, yeah. We don't recall a thing about being here before.

Yet the power you wield - what you call the Force - is within you still. You can still help us, Revan... if we dare to trust you again.

Yeah, let's take things slowly for now and figure out what's up with these guys. Maybe they'll give us more details about what happened last time around. We got the short version, of course, and it didn't sound good.

We heard them call themselves the Elders, and since they're not immediately trying to kill us we can assume they're not affiliated with the Rakatan warriors that have been throwing themselves at our sabers while we've been here.

You arrived with Malak - your servant - three of your galactic standard years ago. We saw your ship plummet to the earth, a victim of the disruptor field that guards this planet. You and Malak both survived the crash, though you were stranded here on our world. And in your search for a way off this planet, you discovered our enclave - just as you did this time. You used the Force to draw the Rakata language from our minds, even as you planted Basic into our skulls so we could help you in your quest to escape this world. We helped you enter the Temple of the Ancients. You and Malak both. And you now, after all this time, you have returned - with your mind wiped clean. Is there anything else you wish to know?

That explains why we're fluent in their language, at least. Also, it seems the disruptor field was not actually set up by the Sith to guard the Star Forge, but was already there to guard the planet before Revan and Malak even gained access to the Star Forge's secrets.

That is how the great war beasts you call rancors came to this world. A few of the beasts survived the crash, and they were captured and trained by some of the more primitive Rakata tribes.

Those would've been the guys we've been fighting.

I guess Zila might have figured the Rakata were just one big tribe and the warriors we've encountered were simply more aggressive than the priests we're currently talking to.

Many times the warriors of the One's tribe have attacked our compound, hoping to gain the knowledge we guard. But our technology is far superior to theirs, and their attacks have failed.

"The One"? Guy seriously goes around calling himself "The One"? Who does that? I'm assuming he originally had a silly nickname and he had to change it on short notice because he realized no one took him seriously as a threat.

During the collapse of the Rakata Empire, the warlords unleashed weapons of terrible destruction that threatened to drive our species to extinction. In the devastation's aftermath our ancestors locked the knowledge of such technology away in the Temple so it could never be used again. Ever since then, we Elders have kept our vigil.

Tell me about the Temple of the Ancients.

There is little I can tell you about the Temple. I know the secrets of our ancestors are contained within, but the Temple itself is barred to us. Only those who can command the Force can enter. Long ago we Rakata had this power, but it has since been lost to us. That was why we helped you the last time you were here, Revan: you could enter the Temple, but we could not.

Makes sense.

Wha? No, we don't. We already found the parts, we just haven't repaired the ship yet because I didn't feel like backtracking.

As for the parts you seek, that we cannot help you with. You might be able to salvage what you need if you explore some of the crash sites on this world. But most of the wrecks are quickly raided and stripped by the more primitive and war-like Rakata tribes. Though they do not understand the technology, they hoard whatever they can carry.

Can't blame the Elders for being cautious. We did kind of screw them over last time.

Like the last time, you have crashed here. Like last time, you have come seeking our help. How have you changed, Revan?

We're trying to get to the Star Forge for very different reasons this time, but the Elder councilor is justifiably wary of our intentions.

You must prove to us that you are not the same as you once were, Revan. You must prove that you have changed.

How can I prove that?

Recently several of our scouts were captured by the One. Most of them were brutally slaughtered, but we have information that one of the scouts is still alive. They will use unimaginable tortures to force the scout to reveal everything he knows about our tribe. And once the One is done with him, the scout will be executed like the others. You must prove you have truly changed by risking your own life to save another. Rescue our scout from the clutches of the One, and we will consider helping you.

It'll be done. Just point us in the right direction.

So if I save the prisoner you'll help me?

Risking your life to save the prisoner would show us that you are sincere about making amends for the past.

Fair enough, I guess. But first, we want some more information.

We will tell you what we can, Revan.

You should speak to Osraa, the Keeper of History. He is located near the great computer on the far side of our enclave. But I will do my best to answer your questions.

Tell me about your tribe.

We are the Elders. Our ancestors were the priests of the Infinite Empire, the guardians of the Temple and the keepers of technology.

This is basically the exact same thing they told us before, just with slightly different wording.

We sealed the knowledge of destruction within the Temple, and for the past thousand generations we have kept vigil here, ensuring the knowledge does not fall into the wrong hands. If you wish to know more about this you should speak to Osraa, the Keeper of History.

Yeah, we'll find the Keeper in a bit.

He doesn't know what it is, does he?

The prisoner is being held in the chamber of the One himself. Return to us once he is free. Until then you have free run of our enclave.

Before we go anywhere, let's explore the enclave and find Keeper Orsa.

This place is kind of like a fancier version of the Sand People settlement we visited.

They've got some of the One's warriors captured, and apparently they're also researching these warriors for unknown purposes.

I wonder what they're trying to do. Maybe somehow figure out a way to restore their race's Force sensitivity?

Over in this area, we can find some Elders worshipping a statue of... someone. Might be one of their ancestors or possibly some sort of Rakatan religious figure, or both.

Unfortunately, they won't tell us what this is all about.

There are some containers we can find around the enclave, but there's nothing interesting in any of them. I'm more interested in the Elders' dinner, frankly, and it's not particularly fascinating either.

Here's the Keeper.

As expected, he recognizes us as well.

Sadly, we can't say the same about him.

The Council told us all of the destruction of your memories, but still I had hoped you might recall something of our past discussion.

The Rakatan emblem behind him resembles the Star Forge, much like the current Sith emblem. I assume this would've been the symbol of the Infinite Empire.

Let's see what the Keeper can tell us about the Rakata and the Star Forge.

I will do my best to enlighten you with the knowledge I hold. What subject do you wish to learn about?

This is our designated Rakata exposition dump, so prepare for a lot of :words:

As you do.

Over time, we lost our ability to use the Force. Some believe we had used the Force for so long that we evolved biologically, and became immune to its effects. In any case, once we lost our sensitivity to the Force our Empire began to fracture. We had to revert to more conventional space travel using inferior technology. Our ultimate collapse was inevitable.

They used the Force to facilitate their space travel? That's cool, I wonder what it was like. By the way, nice job with the two obvious spelling mistakes in a single sentence there, guys. I know, poo poo happens when you have to write tons of text, but the constant typos in the script don't exactly help shake the vibe the Xbox version of the game was released unfinished.

The Infinite Empire was built on slaughter; it was inevitable it should collapse upon itself. War, plague and slave rebellion forced us to retreat back here to our hidden home world. Here, conflict among power-hungry warlords escalated into full civil war. Terrible weapons of mass destruction were unleashed, driving most of the Rakata far beneath the earth for shelter. The devastation ravaged the world. Our people were scattered, our cities levelled, our very existence all but erased. The glory of the Infinite Empire is now nothing but dust and bones. In the past few thousand years small bands of Rakata have begun to return to the surface, but they are primitive and superstitious creatures. Only we Elders remember anything of the true past.

It's never mentioned in the game as far as I know, but the Rakatan home world is named Lehon. In the days of the Infinite Empire, they also called it Rakata Prime. The Elders don't look back at the days of the Empire with much fondness as they correctly recognize their illustrious ancestors were a bunch of violent dickheads and the Empire's fall was inevitable, but for whatever reason they still keep the old Star Forge emblem around.

We Elders are descendants of the holy priest caste of the Infinite Empire, survivors of the terrible weapons unleashed by the warlords during the final collapse of our Empire. Inside the Temple of the Ancients, our ancestors were safe from the devastation that forced the other Rakata to flee undergound. We emerged from the Temple to find an empty and ruined land. At last we understood the terrible power of our own technology. To ensure it could never be unleashed upon us again, we sealed the ancient knowledge within the Temple.

What do you know about the other Rakata tribes here?

Maybe he can tell us something useful about the One.

But these Rakata were as violent as the warlords they had fled many millennia ago. After centuries of battle and bloodshed, the tribe of the One has emerged as the strongest of them all. Now the One, lured by half-remembered legends of his people, lusts to possess the terrible power locked inside the Temple. We can never allow that to happen.

We do have the technology to destroy the One and his followers. But if we kill them all, then we will only prove that we have learned nothing over the past 20,000 years. The One is mad with power. We choose not to fight him, so our only course of action is to stay here in isolation where we are safe; just as we have done for the past 20,000 years.

Yes, their only course of action is to stay here and send us to kill the One. Otherwise, they'd be just as bad as their ancestors. To be fair, the Elder council didn't explicitly tell us to kill the guy and his tribe, but come on. If he's as bloodthirsty as Orsaa suggests, we're in for a gigantic fight and we all know it.

Only those who can command this power - what you call the Force - can enter the Temple. Many centuries ago there were still a few among us who could pass within its walls. But living in the shadow of the Temple we became desensitized to this power. As you yourself said the last time you were here, we Elders are no longer 'Force sensitive'.

None of the Rakata can control the Force now, but long ago there were those who could pass through the barrier. Our ancestors created the energy shield around the building as a second line of defense. But the energy shield was created using technology within the Temple itself. Once we helped you and Malak to get past the barrier, you discovered a way to lower the shields at will from within the Temple itself. After this you had no further need of us. The once hallowed ground of the Temple is now overrun with the followers of Malak who can command the Force: those you call the Dark Jedi.

Can you tell me about the Star Forge?

Much of our knowIedge of the Star Forge is lost. It was built during the height of the Infinite Empire, long ago. All we know now is that it casts a terrible shadow across our world.

Even the Keeper doesn't really know what the Star Forge is and how it came to be. All anyone knows it's an artifact of evil, but we've kinda figured that out by now.

When you and Malak last came here, we saw you as saviors. We let you into the Temple so you could destroy the Star Forge, but instead you harnessed its dark power for yourselves.

Err, sorry about that.

The disruptor field is one of the ancient defenses of the Star Forge; a great generator within the Temple of the Ancients fuels it. You will have to enter the Temple to disable it.

Okay then. That's all we can learn from the Keeper, so let's head on out.

Nah, we're good. Let's go.

The rancors and other enemies along the way will respawn when you transition between zones, so in theory you could XP grind here if you wanted. It's hardly necessary on a completionist(ish) playthrough, though.

Before we pay the One a visit, we'll repair the Ebon Hawk. There's no real reason to do this until you're leaving Lehon, but might as well get it out of the way.

Now we can take the path to the north.

It's only a short walk to The One's House of Hardcore Violence from here.

Oh. Hey, guys.

We could've come here first, and the One's goons would've given us a quest to go to the south beach and kill the Elders. From there, we can choose to either go through with the murderin' or side with the Elders after hearing their story.

The One's warriors are not happy about us working with the Elders, so we've got a rumble on the beach in our hands. On my very first playthrough, I died here countless times because a group of Rakatan elites and two rancors is a pretty tall order when your build is complete and utter rear end (I had a Jedi Sentinel and absolutely zero idea what any of the feats or powers actually did). Although our build is a hell of a lot better than the one I had back then, it's still probably a good idea to actually put some more preparation into the fight than we usually do.

Juhani will go for Stasis Field to hopefully freeze everyone in place, and Power Attack for that extra damage.

Jolee drops some buffs and a Stasis Field of his own just in case.

Let's do this. Our Force Wave spam is still effective, so we should be alright here.

Huh. Apparently, Zila can use Force Wave while controlled by the AI. I must have been mistaken about the power being unusable by the AI, then (or maybe this was just one of the initial Force Waves we queued up at the start of the fight). I definitely have seen Zila (or Jolee) use Force Whirlwind instead of Force Wave, which should not be possible once Force Wave has been mastered.

We don't even get a single scratch in the fight.

There is no way to achieve a diplomatic solution with the One once you have talked to the Elders, so let's kick the door down and introduce ourselves.

Luo here is the guy who would give you the "Invisible Mandalorians" quest and we'd give him the severed Mandalorian head we're carrying in our pocket, but that's no longer an option as you can plainly see.

So, now we just need to make our way to the boss man himself, and that means cutting a bloody swath through the entire tribe like we're Anakin Skywalker at a Tusken Raider camp.

We're not angry when we do it, so it's okay.

Sure, these are bad guys and all, but I always thought it felt a bit weird to just bust into their enclave and slaughter every last one of them. Then again, I suppose we've done that at multiple Sith bases as well, most recently on Manaan, so this isn't really anything new.

Looks like that bridge leads to a larger room, almost like an arena of some sort. That's probably where the One will be waiting for us.

I don't use Throw Lightsaber that often, but it's pretty nice when you can't be bothered to run up to the enemy. Jedi Guardians get a Force Jump ability to automatically close the distance, but for some reason I haven't seen Juhani use it at any point in this playthrough. Maybe she didn't have that until the PC port? Maybe I just didn't notice? Who knows.

That's gotta be the One up ahead, just calmly waiting for us to make our way to him.

Well, here we are. Time for a showdown.

His name is "the One" and he leads a tribe called "the Black Rakata"? Creativity clearly isn't one of his strong suits, but then again I suppose it doesn't need to be when you and your crew can skewer anyone who laughs at you on a stake.

Instead of attacking us, the One pulls a lever at the edge of the arena. I'm sure we'll find out very soon what that lever does.

It opens the four cages on the sides of the arena, each containing a young rancor.

This may prove troublesome.

Some elite warriors have also shown up, and start the fight by tossing a grenade at us. At least I think that was a grenade and we didn't just run into yet another mine.

We'll go straight for the big man. Juhani and Jolee should be able to keep the others at bay, at least for the time being.

"I'm too old for this poo poo"

Juhani can spam Stasis Field to hopefully keep these things in check. Probably would've been a better idea to have Jolee use that because of his higher WIS, but he's too busy healing so Juhani can handle the offensive Force powers. I'm sure at least one of those three will get most of the group.

The One is in fact not the one who will live on.

Now then, we've still got four rancors and some elite warriors to dispose of, and our companions could use some healing.

There we go, finally got most of the enemies into Stasis. Two rancors down, two to go.

Scratch rancor number three.

And that'll do it. On my first playthrough, this was another fight I found almost impossible, and even if your build isn't a joke it can definitely catch you out if the RNG isn't co-operating. That's not Force Jump Juhani is doing there, by the way, that is Power Attack. We've also gained a level, and that means we've hit level 20 and the level cap!

The last available attribute point goes to STR. If you recall, we've got +5 STR gauntlets equipped, so that'll get us to 20 STR in total and a +5 modifier. We are also at 20 DEX, because I bought a Baragwin Stealth Unit from Suvam (forgot to show that off earlier). While we have no use for the +10 Stealth or +4 Awareness it provides, it also boosts DEX by 3, and that combined with our level 1 DEX implant brings our total DEX to 20. That Implant Level 1 feat turned out to be worth it in the end!

Our final Persuade rank, CHA modifier included, is 19. I think one of the thresholds to make Persuade checks more likely to succeed is 18, so we just about made it over that. Technically I don't even need this point, but where else am I going to put it? Looking at our points allocations, I should've just ignored Demolitions and Awareness altogether because we had so few points in those they were all but worthless. We could've put those into Repair and maybe gotten three extra ranks (each requiring two, since it was a cross-class skill) early on, making it easier to complete some of the repairs on HK-47. Probably not all, though, unless we saved all those points until the Jedi class change and then put them into Repair, and even then we'd have barely made it with the help of Master Valor.

The most useful bit of information I learned during this LP was that Knight Speed and Master Speed are amazing. I just never paid enough attention to this skill tree so I never realized you get two extra attacks per round from Master Speed. Considering how ridiculous our damage output is already, adding two attacks to that is downright unfair to most enemies. When it comes to Force powers, one I didn't take and maybe should've taken was Force Breach/Force Suppression which cancels active Force powers on enemies. I keep forgetting it exists, and since I didn't really save levels on Taris I didn't have as many powers to play with as I usually do. Kinda worth it for the Scoundrel bonus feats, though.

There it is, our final form. Not an optimized build by any stretch of the imagination, but we're dealing crazy damage, have solid defense, and our Force powers obliterate trash mobs. Our CON is pitifully low and never went over 10, but that barely matters when most things die before they ever hit us. 12 INT or more could've been handy for the HK-47 repairs, but oh well. I could've minmaxed to improve STR or WIS further and really specialize in one of them for even more absurd damage numbers, or maybe even DEX for a defensive build, but I like to have some different options.

The bins behind the One contain some vendor trash, which would be more helpful if any vendors were available at this point. Well, I suppose you could also use some of these weapons and items, but we're good.

These must be the Elder scouts. As the council mentioned, one of them had survived but was likely to soon meet a grisly fate like his companions. He's still kicking, barely, so let's get him out of here.

Was he locked in a cage with a rancor? I think he was.

I'm sure that, had you not come, I would have ended up as they did.

I was sent by the Council to save you.

I don't know what I could have done if you had not come. I suppose I would be dead now, like the others they captured with me. Thank you for saving me. I shall attempt to return to the Enclave on my own. I will tell the Council of what you have done.

Um, we could escort you or even heal you. You seem to be in pretty bad shape, so just hold on and we'll...

Never mind, I guess. I hope he manages to avoid the rancors and Black Rakata on the way home.

You know, these guys.

Juhani learns Master Power Attack (+10 damage) and Knight Speed.

Jolee learns Master Dueling (+3 to Attack and Defense when using a single one-handed weapon) and Burst of Speed.

Let's meet back up with the Elders and inform them we've killed the One and everyone in the Black Rakata enclave.

How on earth did he beat us here, especially in his condition? Dude's fast. Maybe he knew a shortcut.

In any case, we've done our part.

We must discuss this in greater detail. We must have some privacy, Revan. We will return when our deliberations are done.

The Elder Council wander off to have a few drinks to celebrate the One's demise discuss our situation...

...and here they are again. How did those deliberations go, guys?

The Council has decided we will trust you once more. For many generations we have sought a way to enter the Temple and discover the means to destroy the Star Forge. But only those who can command the Force - those like you - can enter the Temple of the Ancients. We no longer have that power. That was why we helped you the last time you were here. But you cannot enter the Temple without our help, Revan. Only the ancient rituals of our people can lower the shield for you to enter. You need us as much as we need you, Revan.

Looks like we'll be working together, then.

For our own sake, and that of the entire galaxy, we hope you truly mean to atone for your past evils. When you are ready, Revan, we will take you to the Temple. But the temple is a place of sacred power. If you are to enter you must do so alone, in the tradition followed by our Rakata ancestors for the past thousand generations.

We believe you truly wish to destroy the Star Forge this time. But the lesson of the past is not easily forgotten. We will not defile the sacred ritual a second time; only you alone may enter.

I don't think breaking tradition was the problem last time around, but sure. We'll play by the rules.

I didn't go yet because I wanted to look around a bit more first, just in case I missed something.

Now we're ready.

I think we can handle a few Dark Jedi, no problem.

But they will not be able to prevent us from using the ritual to gain you access. Once inside, however, we can do nothing to help you. Go to the Temple now. We will meet you there once the ritual has been prepared. Remember: in accordance with ancient Rakata tradition you must enter the Temple alone.

Right, right, got it. Let's get going already.

Here we are, back in front of the temple. I explored the rest of the temple grounds and killed all the (non-respawning) rancors earlier, but there was nothing worth showing off. Let's just meet up with the Elders and get this ritual started.

Will do.

Thankfully, we don't actually have to sit here for hours, listening to the same dialogue loop over and over.

What's going on now?

Why didn't we have a premonition like that? In any case, Jolee and Juhani seem intent on accompanying us into the temple, but that's not going to sit well with the Elders.

I guess we're gonna have to discuss this with our friends here.

They are not pleased.

The Elders have a hard enough time trusting us after what happened last time, so we probably shouldn't push our luck.

So you just tell that guide of yours to do whatever he has to do to get us all inside the Temple.

Okay then, if you insist. Let's see if we can convince the priests somehow.

That's pretty much the response we expected, but slightly more politely worded.

The Republic fleet is on the way and we're stuck on this planet until we deactivate that disruptor field. You have to convince him to get us inside that Temple!

Never mind the fact the whole fleet is going to crash-land on Lehon unless we shut that field down. We would definitely prefer to avoid that.

I will resume the ritual now.

Back to waiting, then.

A few hours later, the ritual is finally complete.

And that means the door to the Temple of Ancients is now open to us. What might await us within the temple's walls? That's what we shall find out next time.

However, we're not quite done yet, because meanwhile on the Star Forge...

This must be the new leader of the Sith fleet, Admiral Karath's replacement. I don't remember if his name is ever mentioned, but there he is. The Star Forge is pumping out ships at a worrying rate now, apparently operating at 300% capacity which sounds really bad for the Republic's chances. They've had enough trouble handling the Forge's normal output.

As the officer talks, we can see Malak's face is being operated on by a medical droid.

Pictured: the end result of a duel between Malak and Revan on Revan's flagship the previous year. Malak was apparently mouthing off (:haw:) to his master, accusing her (well, him in the book this story came from) of being soft, so the two fought and Revan sliced Malak's jaw right off with a lightsaber strike.

I like how horrified the officer looks during this scene, which is pretty clearly meant to be referencing that scene from The Empire Strikes Back where Admiral Piett sees Vader's scarred head from behind and looks visibly disgusted. Malak is confident Bastila will join the dark side anytime now, and if that happens the Republic will surely be finished...

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I kept thinking to myself when I heard about the One- if he looks anything like Jet Li or Keanu Reeves, I’m out of here. :)