Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

I only read the first update but I just wanted to say, as I'm sure others have, Carth Onasi is the loving worst and Bioware endeavored to put him into as many games as possible after this for some reason.

I’m guessing you’re referring to Atton in KOTOR 2 and Alistair in DA1, but are there any more examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

I don't think you need to tag their names.

While they’re all characters that appear in the tutorial part of their respective games, I didn’t want to spoil the fun of finding out which party members are poorly written and uninteresting. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Full Renegade Shepard in ME1 is basically someone’s racist douchebag uncle/aunt and it’s great. :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grizzwold posted:

The [Adjective] [Bird] naming scheme doesn't help with that either.

Poil posted:

I'm mildly disappointed the ship wasn't called Century Hawk. Much more impressive than the earlier Decade Chicken.

From now on, every single light freighter in the Star Wars universe is canonically named the Adjective Bird.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

One of the three will be very memorable. But we'll see that one when we get there. Hopefully they get some time in the party.

They’re also pretty much the definition of “one-note”, even if Bioware apparently liked them so much that they turned into another ever-present trope in their games.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

And though it’s kind of set dressing in this game, the Mandalorian War is practically a character in and of itself, with how much it continues to affect the entire cast.

Does it ever get properly explained in this game or the sequel why the Mandalorians decided to attack the Republic or is it all handwavey space-mongol bullshit?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Xarn posted:

As far as I know, it goes like something something, proud warrior race wanted to test themselves in a battle, something something, the republic was the biggest target, something something.

Night10194 posted:

They were pretty sure they could win and acquire vast resources and power was always the sense I got from 1. The Republic has a lot of stuff for a conqueror to take, after all.

MightyPretenders posted:

The information is there in this game, as a single line in a companion conversation which the PC doesn't have time to consider the implications of.
KOTOR 2 notices those implications and builds on them. TOR and its tie-ins go against the message of KOTOR 2 but spell it out very clearly.

Alright, so (mostly) space-mongol bullshit it is, then. :smith:

TitanG posted:

The Mandalorian clans realised the republic is there for the taking and they were led by one of their greatest leaders. Later media says it was actually THE LIZARDMEN JEWS (DELETED) THAT DID IT

Slight spoiler for upcoming games (I think?) so might want to edit that out.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 12, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

constrained to being a dickwad for no particular reason.

This should be the mandatory thread title of every Bioware LP

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ItsDisposable posted:

I've never really thought HK and Wrex have much in common? If anyone's a Proto-Wrex here it's Canderous, the Proud Warrior Race Guy aimlessly mercing around after his culture got owned because he doesn't know what else to do.

Proud Warrior Race Guy is a generic (and immensely dumb) SF/fantasy trope not unique to Bioware games.

HK-47 is a Fun Lovable Psychopath That Never Stops Talking About How Hilarious Murder Is, which is very much a Bioware thing.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I disagree about Proud Warrior Race Guy being stupid. I’ve met many of those people in real life, I’m descended from them myself (Scot, Mongol, Cherokee among others), so I know it’s not unique to fiction.

Then again, as TV Tropes points out, it’s hard to name a real life culture without some sort of warrior tradition because it’s in our nature to destroy ourselves (major drag, huh?). So on that basis, maybe the trope is dumb.

I’d rather be a PWRG than a Neutral, though. At least my enemies will know where I stand.

This is getting off-topic, but PWR as a real-life concept is 100% racist bullshit invented to justify a lot of capital-E Evil colonialist policies, and people in a lot of places are still suffering from the after effects of it to this day.

It often gets a free pass in fictional settings (I guess because stereotypical monocultures are still the norm for some reason?), but that doesn’t mean it’s a concept with some really unpleasant real-world baggage.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Never winter nights single player original campaign is a Bad Game.

Just a horrible slog of repitive encounters that are level scaled to always take a little too long, test only your ability to do the optimal strategy over and over, looking ugly the whole goddamn way, with 4 chapters of just the most generic possible fetch quests, with at most one instance of interesting dungeon design per chapter, and maybe one interesting piece of writing per chapter.

I got the Enhanced Edition when it was on sale because I enjoyed NWN and its expansions back in the day but couldn’t even get through the first chapter this time. Apart from being boring the dialogue is bad and repetitive as gently caress.

“Look, hero! These WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES will surely be our salvation!”
“Alas, the WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES have escaped! Quickly, venture forth and find the WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES!”
“Have you discovered anything about the WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES? You must recover the missing WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES or we are all doomed!”
“You have recovered one of the WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES! Keep searching to find the rest of the missing WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES! We need to find all of the WATERDHAVIAN CREATURES if we are to succeed!”

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Guun Han Saresh was really an idiot.

Guuns ruin everything. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Any chance you’ll follow this one up with a KOTOR 2 LP at any point? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I used to have the Witcher thread bookmarked, but it looks like I unfollowed it when it died down. Anyone got a link?