Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Part of it is playing a male character but I never found Carth that onerous to talk to. It's a couple of seconds of dialogue so I just don't get all the hate for it. The sexist poo poo at the beginning can go gently caress right off though.

Additionally the statement about remaining neutral not having any advantages isn't *quite* right. But that's for a chat later I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I actually think that KOTOR is better than you give it credit for for moral conflict.

Most of the choices are definitely Jesus vs. The offspring of Hitler and Skeletor, but if you play a character that's morally good, but greedy, there's honestly a lot of ground.

For example, the merchant that sells HK on Tatooine can be taken from 5000 to 3000 with persuasion, but from 3000 to 1000 with intimidation and Force domination.

Whilst doing that isn't moral; the justification of "I'm on a mission to save the entire galaxy, ruining a merchant is worth it if it gives me a better chance of success," is not outlandish and follows along with where Paragon/Renegade ended up.

The lines of where that then goes are actually good to explore. You could go as far as to justify the Genohardan missions on the grounds of how important equipment is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The dark side doesn't need nuance in a "Sheev had some good points" way, but the Sith in the films tend to do evil for a reason, whereas in KOTOR it's just banal chaotic stupid a lot of the time. Kylo Ren was the closest dark sider to just doing evil for evils sake but it's not like he was wandering around kicking babies for funsies. The dark side options overall is a letdown because there's no real RP reason to do a lot of it beyond "I want to be dark side." I think one of the reasons male Revan works a bit better for me is that the Leviathan torture and the loss of romanced Bastila feels like a natural turning point where it sort of makes story sense to go dark.

It doesn't help that it's so drat easy to get money and loot that stealing and threatening people like often gives you dark side points is totally needless. I started replaying Dragon Age Origins and it has the opposite problem, kind of. You lose opinion with characters like Morrigan and Sten for doing sidequests. And they do have a point, we're theoretically on a timer as the darkspawn invasion progresses. Except we can spend all the time in the world doing minor errands and the story will not progress until we want it to, so the choice to take their advice isn't a real choice. You don't gain anything, you just lose loot and XP.

DA Origins is *far* better about this because money has a huge effect on gameplay. Large amounts of the best gear in the game is locked behind exorbitant prices with vendors so genuinely extorting people for huge amounts of cash is completely reasonable from both a moral and practical gameplay standpoint.

Thing is, if you do things that way, even if you get disapproval for starting quests, your Morrigans and Stens end up approving more in the long run.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On my first run through as light side I couldn't figure out the puzzle, got bored and killed the shark.

Then I got banned from Manaan and nothing of value was lost.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unless of course you let Mission live.

Of course to do that you have to abandon Zaalbar on Kashyyk.

And you may have to level her to 20, unequip all your party before you go to the temple and equip her with weapons to the gills.

And you may have to avoid levelling Canderous, HK and T3.

And you may have to get Bastila down to 1hp when you get her back.

And you may have to force push her so that she's away from the ship, hostile, in a bugged state.

But if you do that you can go to the Star Forge and murder the Republic without Mission's death on your hands.