Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Carth is dry white toast from every hotel continental breakfast. He's never going to wow anyone. Maybe you can dress him up, make him palatable, but he's just there for filler. There are other way more exciting options on offer that are more satisfying on every level - more interesting appearance, better, more engaging back story, stronger personality overall. And that doesn't make him "bad", he's just lame compared to everyone else you can encounter in this game. And due to how these games play out, he kind of has to be a wet blanket. But he fills the role of tutorial NPC companion and I guess that's enough.

It's too bad that we will never get an HD remake/rerelease of either KOTOR I or II, because I would love to play this again with an expanded character generator/creator (to cut down on the clone NPCs), updated graphics and the ability to play it on a modern PC and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I honestly forgot that bioware was an EA company, but with all the other bits and pieces involved in KOTOR 1, I don't know who does or does not need to get paid for prior work or licensing of their voice or likeness.

Without getting into TROS spoilers, there is mention of a KOTOR character in the official supplemental materials, as well as a few other former EU names. It could be nothing, but if it means that they could look at the KOTOR timeline for the next trilogy I'd be super excited.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

IIRC, much like how some version of Carth shows up in later games, preacher man shows up in ME2. On one of the starter planets (Omega?), there's a racist shouting preacher outside of a quarantine zone. I think you have slightly more interaction with him, because in a stunning twist, he's racist against Humans (whaaaa?) I think he appears in ME3, but I only played that one once, so I don't remember him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

By TOR’s accounting, they did!

It’s just that (I forget which) either the bombardment irreparably damaged the Promised Land, or they got through it just fine, but it turned out that the reports about how plentiful it was were unfortunately exaggerated. Either way, the survivors ended up succumbing to a resurgence of the rakghoul disease.

I think the latter is the answer TOR gives. So Taris isn't "destroyed" so much as Upper Taris is "razed to the ground". TOR takes place 300(?) years after the events of the KOTOR games and Taris is a place you visit. So yeah, Rukil Old-as-poo poo is for sure dead, but there are certainly still a sizable population of Tarisians left alive after this massive bombardment. I think there was enough of a shakeup that the lines between under city dwellers and upper level nobles got blurred and the class wars kind of settled themselves, but I didn't read that deeply in the supplemental lore.

BTW, Rakghouls are still a "thing" and they factor in to both the plotline of that planet as well as a recurring event where they end up on other planets through either mind boggling incompetence or stupendous malice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I also like how an update or two ago when we first land on Dantoine Bastila says "We can hide out here from Malak because this is a secret place" and then next update "Oh yeah, Malak had his Jedi training here". Then he probably knows where it is. And yeah, maybe it would be kind of difficult to attack head on and bomb back to the stone age, but as we've seen, these Jedi are mostly, dangerously incompetent.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

It seems to me a lot of the time the Jedi Order's approach to the dark side regarding their students is not entirely dissimilar to abstinence education.

It is pretty close until you read the fine print and see the loophole. You see, the Jedi are specifically against forming emotional attachments with other people/aliens/robots/whatever. But, SEX =! LOVE, so as long as you don't care about the other person, go for it.

Also, to give you an idea of how stupid the Jedi are, look at Episode 1. What was the prophecy for Anakin? That he would bring "balance" to the force. Well, what do we have at the time of that movie, three sith (Maul, Dooku and Palpatine)? And how many Jedi? Maybe a hundred? Well, by the end of those movies you're down to 2 and 2, so I guess the prophecy was correct and balance was achieved. Well done, morons.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Ok can someone tell me what the actual difference is suppose to be between a Dark Jedi and a Sith?

Oof. This can be a rabbit hole with many different paths depending on which books/games/whatever other source you are dealing with.

Sith was originally a race of red-skinned force sensitive people. They show up as a playable race in TOR and one NPC has a whole novel about him and his adventures. As Doc pointed out "Sith" are generally now considered kind of the classic "Bad Guy" versions of the Jedi. The Rule of Two and the general philosophy of Might Makes Right are the basic corner stones of the politics of Sith culture. If you want your master's power, reach out and take it. If he was weak enough that you were able to kill him and take it, he didn't deserve to have it. If you die in the attempt, then you weren't strong enough wield his power anyway. Some of this gets touched on later in this game, but in general "I can use the force, which makes me stronger than you, which means I can do whatever I want" is the way of the Sith.

Dark Jedi, for the purposes of this game IMO, are former "fallen" Jedi now in the mercenary game. These might be leftovers of the Jedi who went to follow Revan during the Mandalorian Wars, or other Jedi who left the path of general idiocy that following the straight and narrow seemed to lead to. So if you were with the Jedi and then common sense took over and you left the order voluntarily, you would be considered a "Dark Jedi" from the POV of the Jedi. You weren't necessarily a Sith, just because you were no longer a Jedi, but you weren't going to be allowed in the clubhouse anymore because you are no longer drinking the kool-aid. Could also cover Jedi who left the order less voluntarily, but were not outright killed. Again, going into the lore from other sources, the Jedi kind of have a habit of kidnapping and child endangerment just because someone is force sensitive. But just because you are force sensitive doesn't mean that you're able to pull ships down from the sky or lift x-wings out of swamps, or are any good at battle. And you know, there's (Jedi) crops to be farmed and (Jedi) toilets to be scrubbed, and those positions go to the guys with the lowest potential. So, I have to imagine being sold on the "Use the force, see the galaxy, get a lightsaber, move poo poo with your mind" propaganda loses some luster when you get saddled cleaning up after Jedi Master Ed Asner for the 100th time. So getting to actually do that stuff and get rewarded must be really appealing for someone stuck on pumpkin duty.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I just did some searching because there was a quest tied to Tatooine that I could never get to complete due to game bugginess (and internet guides being kind of in larval stages). I think it was bugged for a lot of people because apparently going to Tatooine as your first stop can cause the mission to bug out. I kind of hope Doc gets to show it off as I have never seen it. I'm also unclear if it can happen on a return trip, but I guess we'll see.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Doc M posted:

Which one? Can you give me the name of the quest? I'll allow spoiler tags in this case.

Don't have the name of the quest off hand so description. The side quest for finding Mission's brother. It's apparently very touchy to get all the flags to trigger in order. Not a huge deal if you can't show it off, more just curious to see it in action. If you haven't done it and it was something that you were considering showing off, look up a guide because wow is it sensitive.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Not too surprisingly, Korriban is really fun to play as a dark side character. It almost feels like they wrote the dark side options starting from here and just spun them out from that point.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So there's a little thing that I'm pretty sure happens right around here if you miss something.

Remember that little stowaway girl from Dantooine? Little Ki Puna?

If you don't manage to figure out her deal and return her to Dantooine before you get the third star map you will get a cutscene with Zaalbar (IIRC) saying that she's disappeared off the ship and that there's no trace of her. And then, I think it dumps you right into the Kidnapped by Saul scene.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

So... fighting a guy using our lightsabres til he dies is okay as long as we’re not angry?

Kinda, yeah.

The Jedi Council tends to view being a Jedi and having a lightsaber equivalent to knowing magical karate and wearing a black belt all the time. Some people are going to see that and immediately decide to gently caress with you. You didn't start this fight, you didn't ask for it, but it is coming. Now, in a rare display of common sense, the guidance of the council is not "Stand there and take it", but rather "Do your best to de-escalate", and "if that doesn't work, then defend yourself, to the death if necessary"

As long as you didn't start it, and if you stop after the immediate threat has stopped, you're in the clear. It is remarkably similar philosophy as real world self defense laws. Xor confronted and threatened your entire party, he would not back down with just talking, and after he was unable to continue fighting, you stopped hitting him with your lightsaber. Your hands are clean.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Doc M posted:

I almost physically cringed when I saw it for the first time, and even now it manages to be so jarring that it completely takes me out of the whole scene.

As a general rule, I don't particularly enjoy anything even tangentially related to Fred Durst, and I especially dislike the song being referenced here. Maybe if it was Rollin', I'd be more receptive. :v:

Chocolate Selkath and the Kolto Flavored Water

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

zakharov posted:

And yeah, money ceases to have meaning as soon as you come here. Drain your finances before coming here, people.

That's a neat slogan. Wonder if Britain is going to use that now that Brexit is back on.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If you have Juhanni pursue the dark side do you still have to kill her if you side with Bastilla? Then it's three on one against Jolee and then back to the Hawk.

I mean at least that way you get to bring three force users with you onto the star forge, rather than you, Bastilla and either droid, other droid, or under leveled human. At least if you bring Canderous you can use force healing on him rather than having to hope that you have enough repair kits on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, I have no idea how anyone would have found this organically, but there is a hidden goof ending that can be triggered on the XBOX version by plugging in a controller in both port 1 and 4 and holding down LT + RT + Y on both during Malak's monologue. Then, this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWSPU5XMJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2tTsqL_f4

I mean it could be fake, but there are a few different vids of the same thing.