Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The funny thing is that I feel the writing here really doesn't hold up. I didn't notice when I played it myself, and I think it's because it was a new system for me and the story kept getting broken up by gameplay. So I kept getting distracted.

Seeing the writing sort of just clustered like this... I dislike Carth far more now than I did when I played. Partial thing is that I played a dude, so I didn't see him be a spectacular creep. But, I'm also finding the way they separated his backstory to be utterly obnoxious now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's funny how Mission has the same thing with 'HEY GO TALK TO HER' as Carth did, but she's MUCH less annoying with her story. Probably because she actually tells you what's up, and her conversation closes feel a lot more natural.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Her character does at least make sense. She's a wet-behind-the-ears trainee who suddenly manifests a gamechanger ability, and everyone basically spoils her for having it. Given the fact that she broke out of the cage on her own, she does have some capability too, so it's not entirely unfounded.

It doesn't stop her from being abrasive and arrogant, but at least there's coherent reasons behind it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Bastila's introduction is so bad that she sort of needs this scene. She still sits better than Carth by a lot at this point, but them both getting a light-hearted scene like that is kind of necessary honestly.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'd like to think the writers were making an intelligent parallel there, but at least in KOTOR's case, the lack of ability to actually have a middle ground thought kind of ruins it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem with Dark Side and evil responses in general for games is that evil has to be more proactive if it wants to be coherent. If you're good, you just help the person, but there's no logical reason to be evil to someone other than 'gently caress it' unless it's part of a larger plan. But that's not really easy to write in a game. Honestly, for games, the short-term evil option needs to actually give you something tangible as a reward for doing it(or at least look like it will), or it'll never make sense.

This doesn't really excuse any of the answers you can give the council though because it's either sucking their balls or telling them to gently caress off.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Agreed. The Hero/Anti-Hero of the Paragon/Renegade is a better step forward, whatever kinks the system had. Punching reporters or headbutting a Krogan feel like coherent actions taken by an actual kind of person, and it's also really funny.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The more you run us through this game, the more I'm reminded of the incredibly amount of jank in the writing. It's honestly hard to read.

Goodbye, rose-tinted glasses.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Korriban is definitely showing as the best of the planets so far. The puzzles are actually reasonably good and the dialogue is largely not embarassing to read. It honestly doesn't feel like quite the same game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Off the top of my head...

Jolee openly lets himself be captured, then Jedi Mind Tricks his guard to trade places with him in the energy cage while being a giant troll about it.

Canderous preemptively dopes up with a massive dose of stimulants, then blows himself up with a grenade to nearly mortally wound himself so he’ll be taken to the medbay/morgue by the time the stims kick in.

Juhani and Mission just hide themselves with stealth mode to avoid getting caught altogether.

I just watched the Jolee scene on youtube and holy christ were you not kidding.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It'd probably be harder if the KOTOR games didn't have the Jedi Masters incredibly ineffectual at accomplishing anything whatsoever.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
God, this light side/dark side writing just makes my brain shut down at points. You'd probably get more people getting Dark Side points with that Juhani incident if you could just saber that guy down. The fact that it isn't even an option kind of shows how badly that is written.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Hahahaha I want to argue but I really can't.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My paragon Shep totally headbutt that Krogan. But... it also brings into question what's the point of the gauges if I'm allowed to do that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's nice to see that we're running around this sovereign government completely making GBS threads on it's authority.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm actually mostly fine with this Light/Dark side decision, largely because the entire thing is surrounded by a lot of unknowns. Yes, since it's a video game, you know both methods will lead to a solution of some sort. The toxic thing is impulsive and dangerous yeah, but the flip side is that there isn't a way a person in-character should know that blowing up the machinery would even work. Maybe the shark would decide to just eat you anyways because it's disoriented from something EXPLODING next to it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The way I see the choices in this case kind of boil down to this.

- Blow up the equipment: Maybe with the stuff gone, the maybe-wild shark will not attack if we pass by?

- Poison the waters: This'll definitely kill the shark, but we don't know the wider consequences because it's loving poison.

I do believe that this is one of the better light/dark choices because of the uncertainty mixed in there. The uncertainty of the dark side choice is in any collateral damage, whereas the uncertainty in the light side choice is a serious risk to yourself since you're effectively hoping the shark won't attack you after. It IS a selfish act to prioritize yourself over any potential environmental impact.... but at least you're actually getting SOMETHING more than 'i want to eat this baby'.

Unfortunately with the game formatting, you KNOW blowing up the equipment would work, it's just how the design is telegraphing the decision. But as I said before, at least this feels like a selfish decision that an actual person could actually potentially make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Manaan has 3 loving trial segments. And none of them are coded with the very reasonable judge behavior of "weren't you just in my court room?"

That's a good point actually. One is a sidequest so fine, but the last trial we have is like guarenteed to be after already been in the court room. Why couldn't that just be the default reaction?