Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I’d peg him closer to “agnostic Jedi” than an outright gray one. He’ll happily still call out your bullshit if you act egregiously evil in front of him.

Tired of everyone's poo poo is pretty much Jolee in his entirety.

Your poo poo as main character especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm glad thrawn died in the end, because Kevin j Anderson would have hosed up his character so badly later

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

megane posted:

Look, Sith pick their names when they're, like, 13, and then are stuck with them. It's like a forty-year-old car salesman whose email is xxsephirothsharinganxx@gmail.com.

I miss Dr. McNinja

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Korriban is definitely the best part of Kotor, hands down.

It's got fun characterization of NPCs
It's got relatively coherent, but tangled plots
It's got interesting set pieces
The barriers to progress don't feel artificial
The moral choices are marginally better

It doesn't have:
Large open areas with repetitive combat encounters against wild animals
Backtracking
Fetch quests
That thing on manaan no one likes but I can't discuss as a spoiler, but you know what I mean

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zakharov posted:

What's the "right answer" for dark side players in that tomb?

"I'm the dork lord of the sith, you can't tell me what to do, dad"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

With all these hesitant sith around Korriban almost strikes me like we should’ve gotten a party member here. Yuthura probably. She’d be more interesting than T3 and it’d be neat to have an NPC dark side force user.

Reminds me of Jowan in Dragon Age, who was also a reformed bad guy wizard that is a cut party member.

Bioware didn't stumble on the "every mission gives you a thematic party member" magic formula until mass effect 2/dragon age 2.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Never winter nights single player original campaign is a Bad Game.

Just a horrible slog of repitive encounters that are level scaled to always take a little too long, test only your ability to do the optimal strategy over and over, looking ugly the whole goddamn way, with 4 chapters of just the most generic possible fetch quests, with at most one instance of interesting dungeon design per chapter, and maybe one interesting piece of writing per chapter.

I don't think there's a single thing they did well. The absolute nadir of every bad thing about bioware games.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Nwn2's main campaign is at or above typical for bioware. The plot goes somewhere, most of the areas have a legitimate sense of place. The writing flows naturally. It even managed to be clever sometimes.

I wouldn't list it as a favorite game of all time. And it has its share of problems(that loving door), but comparing it against the absolute trash that is nwn1 is just totally unfair.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Doc M posted:

Which isn't great because it was made by Obsidian :v:

I'm aware. Comparitively, I didn't care for pillars of eternity 1, which mistook depression for fun.

(Josh don't read this)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Angry_Ed posted:

While it is irrelevant to the larger battle, it does serve as an object lesson that the Jedi are wrong in the idea that you must forego personal affection/attachment. Luke avoids the Dark Side because he refuses to kill his own father. Anakin (despite being a genocidal child murderer as we learn later) is redeemed by saving his son's life at the cost of his own. Specifically it's also a rebuke to Obi-Wan and Yoda, who are adamant that Darth Vader must be killed and Anakin cannot be brought back from the dark side of the force.

He did kill Vader from a certain point of view

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

It's amusing that the Dark Side gives your character yellow eyes, pale flesh and so on, and yet no matter what, in the reveal of your character as Revan, even if you're Light now and supposedly Dark then, your face looks... the same.

I don't know if this counts as spoilers, but the sequel drops the vaguest hints that revan was evil-but-with-a-good-cause, not just reveling in spite like malack

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

I ever become a Jedi, I am totally testing that theory. :)

Also, for the record, I don’t think Juhani is ugly at all. Not the most attractive Jedi in the game, but not the least either.

Just the character model is bad.

Weren't cathar introduced to be eaten by a wampa?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
6000 corpses in your wake, but it's evil to make an unrepentant slaver can't enslave or murder more people.

The light side really is just defending the status quo, huh?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zakharov posted:

I mean, he's still very dead.

Don't worry juhani, the evil man's death is scripted, you can keep your hands clean.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Night10194 posted:

The true move is to cut their hand off.

You have an insanely dangerous laser sword that slices anything except the blade of another insanely dangerous laser sword.

And mandalorian steel and cortosis, and phrik, and apparently the armor Captain phasma wore but it never actually mattered?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

I would laugh if the Hutt should open the box, and then the Builder escapes into his body. Oh well, not to be.

That would have made a great dark side ending for the quest, bait the crime Lord into freeing the criminal who offers knowledge of a rare lightsaber crystal

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Can't really buy "Jedi good at not being shot in back" based on the order 66 montage

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zakharov posted:

Is it not canon that Jedi have a hard time predicting their allies suddenly turning on them? See: Order 66, and a certain conversation in KOTOR 2.

Yoda saw it coming but he's a Jedi Master and Elassa here was an apprentice.

Ki adi mundi is also a master and went down like an absolute bitch.

Yoda was saved by plot armor

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

EggsAisle posted:

I remember doing these math puzzles too, in particular the final one, because I was in high school at the time and we were, no poo poo, learning about logarithms in math class. I had to laugh, I'd always heard that learning math in school would come in handy someday, but I hadn't been expecting it to be quite so direct.

Bioware and Obsidian were really fond of trials during this time, weren't they? Both NWN games had one, both KotOR games have one, the first Dragon Age has one (convincing the nobility to abandon an antagonist)... was there a trial in Jade Empire? I read the (very good) LP of it a few years ago, but I can't recall.

I'm racking my brain to remember the trial in nwn1. 2's was memorable, but if 1 had one it was deep in some side quests

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it was a sidequest nexus in, i want to say act 3?

I thought that was the word stones. To be fair to both of us, the game is hella forgettable

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

megane posted:

Nice of the Sith to leave easily-identified bodies and unencrypted datapads with summaries of all their evil plans just lying around their base.

Not unencrypted, just encrypted by people who think the Fibonacci series is an obscure secret

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I assume there's a way out if you never meet the selkath kids?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
"I went there in behest of the republic who were spying on your people and needed to recover their spy data" should have been a legit dark side path.

All of manaan makes the republic look like a greedy lovely government using whataboutism as a cover for awful crimes, and I wish the story let you lean into that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Manaan has 3 loving trial segments. And none of them are coded with the very reasonable judge behavior of "weren't you just in my court room?"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The only character it makes sense to want to kill runs away so he can be in Kotor 2

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

BisbyWorl posted:

An extra little screw you if you go dark side is that all the anti-droid powers are light side.

And there's a dark side Droid in your party and no light side droids.

Maybe droids are fundamentally dark side things and wuher was right to ban them from the mos eisley cantina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The star forge is a world devastator that time traveled by force storm to the past.

There, you have an answer and everything sucks more because of it