Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

The real answer is that droids are as sentient as they need to be for whatever story is being told. It varies wildly.

I'm waiting for the Star Wars side story about the great droid revolt. Wait, that's just The Matrix.

Sounds like someone hasn't heard about IG-88A :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Also never once do they ask 'hey, is it right to force these people to fight? People bred and conditioned to kill people and robbed of their childhoods and everything? Are we making a good call using what is effectively slave soldiers?'

Nope, right to 'around the survivors, a perimeter create'.

But first we need to give the Supreme Chancellor unlimited powahhhhhhh

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Did the Jedi council support Palpatine's power grab? I didn't watch the prequel movies.

As others have pointed out, for some reason (probably because I haven't watched AoTC in over a decade) I remembered the Jedi being all like "yes Bail Organa this is a great plan to have Senator Jar Jar Binks (:laffo:) tell the Senate that we should give the Chancellor emergency powers so he can activate the army."

I sort of forgot that most of the Jedi (named and otherwise) were already en-route to Geonosis and therefore couldn't have been at that meeting. On the other hand they were mostly like "oh I don't know about this but ok" in regards to most of what Palpatine was doing until Anakin realized "oh wait the guy who keeps telling me about the Dark Side and how cool it is, is the Sith Lord we've been looking for"

Night10194 posted:

KOTOR 2 is basically an entire game of 'you know, gently caress the Jedi Order' for a reason.

Unfortunately I feel KOTOR 2 also goes too far in doing this and disappears up its own rear end at a point, but I know that's not really the consensus opinion of that story.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like making the Wookie selling out his own people being the only one with entirely black fur is perhaps a bit too on the nose, even for Star Wars.

Also if I remember right (haven't played this game in over a decade) when I fought Calo Nord for the last time it was on Kashyyyk. I think I basically left Tattooine unfinished because I was trying to scrounge up the money to pay for HK-47 without being a threatening psycopath, and I didn't know about the ways to break the game's economy. Of course, my memory is so vague I recall fighting him on the landing platform which I'm sure isn't correct if the idea is he comes after you right after exiting an area with a star map.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 23, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I completely forgot that Twisted Metal gave that name to a big rig driven by someone who was probably Satan :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doc M posted:

Joruus C'baoth was supposed to be a clone of Obi-Wan or something, right? I've never actually read the Thrawn trilogy, but I do know it had a bunch of weird clone bullshit.

No he's a clone of Jorus C'baoth. You can tell because of the second "u".

I'm not joking.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Yes, Vector Prime, the book where they introduced the Vong and was written by RA Salvatore was the one where Chewbacca got killed by the Vong dropping a moon on the planet he were on.

To be fair if you're going to kill off Chewbacca, dropping a moon on him is a pretty badass way to do it, if a bit ridiculous

Also I didn't get very far in my playthrough over a decade ago so to learn that Jolee Bindo is basically Jedi Grandpa Simpson is pretty great, just need a "...which was the style at the time" tangent.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 27, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought Thrawn was hella dumb even in like eigth grade.

"And then Napoléon listened to a bunch of Mozart and knew just how to defeat the austrians"

"Your brushstrokes belie your weaknesses!" I say right before my own bodyguard shanks me in the back.

My first exposure to Thrawn was TIE Fighter, so I ended up liking him more than I would have than if I had first learned that his defining feature was "analyzes art to completely understand a culture and therefore the way they fight"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

megane posted:

Look, Sith pick their names when they're, like, 13, and then are stuck with them. It's like a forty-year-old car salesman whose email is xxsephirothsharinganxx@gmail.com.

I mean, everything about Korriban so far just establishes that to be a Sith you have to start as a teenage edgelord and continue being a teenage edgelord for the rest of your life.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

I like the insights into Sith philosophy here. Some well-conceived characters too.

Darth Bandon is down! That was quick. Wonder if killing him will jeopardize our position at the Academy. Or gain us any extra Prestige.

I feel like fighting him is again just a matter of "you've been to x number of worlds and Calo Nord is dead" so not everyone will fight him on Korriban, but it's amusing to have a fight with him right outside the academy and everyone presumably just shrugs.

Also like how he's built up as being your next pursuer after Nord and he gets killed off even faster than Nord did. Would've thought there'd at least be a second fight with him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

They're as blinkered as the Jedi, and even more destructive, because they love the feeling you get when you throw a tantrum.

"You got upset, ergo I win" - Sith Lord or alt-right Twitter personality?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

It kind of reminds me of a funny detail in Return of the Jedi. Vader's redemption is one of the single most important (and satisfying) moments in the trilogy, killing the Emperor to save the life of his son. It was also completely irrelevant because Lando and company were about to blow the Death Star either way. The Emperor lost at Endor because of his showboating with the exposed core of the 'fully operational' battle station and desire to show it off even before he got hucked down a shaft.

While it is irrelevant to the larger battle, it does serve as an object lesson that the Jedi are wrong in the idea that you must forego personal affection/attachment. Luke avoids the Dark Side because he refuses to kill his own father. Anakin (despite being a genocidal child murderer as we learn later) is redeemed by saving his son's life at the cost of his own. Specifically it's also a rebuke to Obi-Wan and Yoda, who are adamant that Darth Vader must be killed and Anakin cannot be brought back from the dark side of the force.

Regalingualius posted:

And that’s amateur hour, compared to what Starkiller got up to in Force Unleashed.

I mean, yeah pulling a falling Star Destroyer into the planet's surface is cool and all, but Karia is underselling the other story. It wasn't one star destroyer. It was 17 Star Destroyers, and they were hurled out of the Yavin system entirely, end-over-end, because it wasn't crazy enough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

All life is sacred to the Jedi...

How many kills do the party have to their name at this point?

In the words of Jedi Archivist Randy Newman "Sith people...ain't got no reason to live..."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doc M posted:

"For the Republic, Revan?"
"For the Republic, Alek."

Darth Janus does sound very Star Wars-y :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the comics address the getup/fill in some background lore and details but some of that might be spoilers

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The whole "don't kill people purely out of anger" thing really trips people up huh. Despite it being reiterated over and over again in the movies and EU/Legends materials.

EDIT: Then again I suppose it raises a lot of questions about all the Alderaanians in the Rebellion after their planet is reduced to an asteroid field.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Elassa couldn't have been that good a Dark Jedi if she didn't sense she was about to get shot in the back :smug:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlazetheInferno posted:

There tend to be very few really intelligent dark-side characters - especially here, most dark-side choices tend to be impulsive, heat-of-the-moment short-sighted decisions that satisfy anger, bloodlust, or petty greed, often to the point of going out of your way to do so. Characters like Revan, Sidious, and other Dark-siders shown to be capable of great forethought and planning ahead seem to be the exceptions.

To a Light-sider, Darkside decisions tend to be evil for the sake of evil.
To a Dark-sider, Lightside decisions tend to be favoring practicality over indulging bloodlust.

I mean Palpatine is smart in that he actually plays the long game and plans things out to an insane degree...on the other hand he keeps gleefully going "YES KILL MY SECOND AND BE MY NEW RIGHT HAND SITH" :moreevil: at the earilest opportunity and that certainly has no possible downsides at all :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doc M posted:

Listen buddy, you'll murder this 14-year-old and you'll like it! :moreevil:

Look it's fine, we all know the threshold for your soul being damned to the dark side forever involves an insane amount of child murder, more than you can even count.

Doc M posted:

Speaking of which, I've seen a lot of forum posts and such from people who found that whole thing absolutely hilarious because they thought Mission was annoying and got what she deserved. Sure, it's just a video game and all that and not everyone is a weirdo like me who doesn't enjoy being mean to pixel people, but some of these folks were really jazzed about killing this teenage girl and especially making her best friend do it.

Can't imagine why people think people who play video games have a problem with women :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Seems funny that they would go through setting up that elaborate "kill droids, get spikes" situation if a player can just go "gently caress it, I'm busting through like a boss!" and waltz on in.

Have my droids succeeded?

:mil101: Actually my lord it seems the Jedi decided "to hell with this" and just kicked down the door that we forgot to reinforce in any way

...The Force is strong with them... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

I was simply astonished at the amount of spelling errors and repeated typos throughout the script. With the level of quality control that goes over a game like this nowadays, it's really weird to see

It's especially a weird thing to see from a Bioware game when narrative is kind of their niche.