Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, wasn’t this game also basically declared non-canon after the whole Legends dustup? Or is it “canon until it contradicts something more recent”?
More the latter. KOTOR is technically not canon, but Disney thus far has been focused on giving us poo poo that’s within the lifespan/influence of existing characters, so everything that’s far from that 100ish year span hasn’t been (and may never be?) addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Back in May there was some news about an old republic movie, but there doesn't seem to be anything newer about it. We'll see if it actually happens.
The last part is the real question - I legitimately don’t know whether the poor reviews of Solo and Rise make it more or less likely they branch out to totally different eras.

On one hand, it could be viewed as people just being kind of done with this part of the saga, time for some fresh blood...but the other, more common Hollywood answer is, “yeah but Rey and Finn and etc were fresh blood, time to focus even more firmly on the old parts of the IP back when everybody loved it; get me a script for Episode IV but from the perspective of Vader”.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The one thing that kept jumping out at me in that long-rear end Council scene? The Jedi have apparently done squat on their home planet since landing. Either they're so hosed that they can't spare a single apprentice/Jedi for a week OR they're total :effort:.

They had apparently already known about the ancient ruins, but wrote them off as burial mounds without doing any actual investigation. They heard rumors about caves with crystals that can enhance lightsabers which sounds fairly useful when you're literally losing a war, but never even asked around for details. There's a corrupted source of darkness turning wildlife into murderous hounds outside your drat front door which is probably bad for security, but nope, let's just wait on that.

(Obviously this is a gameplay thing, but c'mon, at least try to hide the rails here)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

It seems to me a lot of the time the Jedi Order's approach to the dark side regarding their students is not entirely dissimilar to abstinence education.

CzarChasm posted:

It is pretty close until you read the fine print and see the loophole. You see, the Jedi are specifically against forming emotional attachments with other people/aliens/robots/whatever. But, SEX =! LOVE, so as long as you don't care about the other person, go for it.

Also, to give you an idea of how stupid the Jedi are, look at Episode 1. What was the prophecy for Anakin? That he would bring "balance" to the force. Well, what do we have at the time of that movie, three sith (Maul, Dooku and Palpatine)? And how many Jedi? Maybe a hundred? Well, by the end of those movies you're down to 2 and 2, so I guess the prophecy was correct and balance was achieved. Well done, morons.
I don't think Gnome was actually comparing the content, but rather the attitudes/teaching methods involved - the way the Jedi teach about the dark side is weirdly parallel to lovely US abstinence education: Awkwardly treating the subject as a taboo topic, exaggerating dangers, providing little to no actual information, making people feel guilty for even the slightest deviation from the 'ideal', etc...and with a net result that it's clearly worse than if you'd had an honest and open conversation about the topic.

Though if we want to discuss sex itself, I'd guess the Jedi would say that's also a "path to the dark side" because they always say that all extreme emotions are a path to the dark side (which presumably includes pleasure). So even if you are so coldly detached that it doesn't form any dangerous emotional attachments, the act itself probably would get judged as potentially subversive.