Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When I played this many years ago, I knew about the prestige class thing, and saved my levels for that. I don't think I leveled past 3, even though I had enough XP to go right to 7. It made some of this stuff kind of hard, as you can imagine.

It's also kind of a fucker because there are certain expectations that come with the prestige classes, so if you build to be the best smooth-talking gunslinger you can be, and it turns out that whoops your stat layout is garbage for all the prestige classes, sucks to be you, do Taris again or just deal with it.

Also, of no real relevance to the subject immediately at hand, but I hope that you bench Carth as soon as you have enough people that you can, and then let that choady motherfucker ride the pine for the rest of the game.

I assume that Pazaak is being skipped for reasons of dullness, but as I recall, you can make some pretty good money with it once you get the good cards. Getting the good cards takes a while, though, and by the time you have those and don't need to rely on savescumming, the money that Pazaak hustling brings in is kind of a pittance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It was still relatively fresh at the time this one came out, though, since this is one of their earlier works. But thanks to hindsight, yeah, you can see the Bioware in it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think that Neverwinter Nights era Bioware could've done something interesting with Warhammer, and early Mass Effect era could've. But now? No, I think Bioware is just a neglected headless corpse being kept by dipshits who don't know the difference between death spasms and pining for the fjords, so whatever they did with it wouldn't be very good.

Although seeing Bioware Morality applied to a setting where your choices are "evil" or "more evil" would be interesting, for certain values of interesting. :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Also, a lot less casual chauvinism.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Doc M posted:

The game recommends it, so it knows! :v:

I usually just auto-level Carth because I don't give a poo poo about the skills and feats he gets. As someone who has literally never played D&D, I'm also not sure why Toughness is bad because more HP doesn't seem too terrible to my idiot brain. :downs: Is it just that the limited feats you get would be better used for something to improve your combat abilities?

Getting more HP is nice, but you have a very limited number of perks, and using it for +1 HP/level is not really worth it. It's better here than it was in the original version of third edition, though, where it just gave a flat +3 HP. Nice if you're a first level wizard with five hit points, not so much if you're a tenth level barbarian with seventy. Maybe the damage reduction for taking another level of Toughness will be useful? But the third level of Toughness is crap, because it's just another +1 HP/level. But it's on Carth, who sucks and will never see action again, so who gives a poo poo.

One of the things that is missing from this system, but is in the d20 system it's derived from, is some variety of Weapon Finesse: you use Dexterity to calculate your to-hit with (some) melee weapons instead of Strength. That'd be really handy here, especially if you're using guns a bunch, or like Bastilla have tons of dexterity anyway. It's also an issue, in my opinion, that there's no two handed melee weapons. We have two handed guns, of course, with the various rifles and heavy weapons (is anybody using those or is everybody going to use dual pistols?), but the closest you can get is the Dueling line, which gives you benefits to wielding a single melee weapon (+1 attack and defense when using a one-handed weapon, which applies to guns too, per level taken).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If lightsabers automatically use dex or strength for attack rolls, well there you go then. But the Echani ritual brand isn't really a two handed weapon. It's a double weapon, which means it uses the dual wielding rules. When I say two handed weapon, I mean greatswords and the like.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Having Carth in the party when we confront his mentor would result in Carth getting closure of some kind.

He doesn't deserve closure. Or screen time. :colbert:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the three will be very memorable. But we'll see that one when we get there. Hopefully they get some time in the party.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ah, this is what I was waiting for. It's not much of a surprise to say "and then you become a Jedi," because unless not being a Jedi is the point it's kind of inevitable, but it's nice to not have to dance around it and say "the prestige class" anymore.

Which is a thing that mildly annoys me. You're asked "what Jedi do you want to become," but never "do you want to be an actual Jedi." Did you spend all this time building to be a gunslinger? Well, gently caress you, those feats are wasted, unless you decide to stick with guns instead of lightsabers, which are so much better than any other combat option that you're hurting yourself pretty badly by not using the 2d8 death weapons.

The Force Sensitive thing that gives you +40 Force Points for having to spend a bunch of levels as a non-Jedi is a main character only thing, and it's pretty neat, but as has been stated, there's still a compelling reason to sit on all the levels you pick up during the entirely too long Taris segment. One of the things KOTOR2 fixes is that you're just a Jedi straight from the start, although you can choose to not use lightsabers, and there are bits of the game where not carrying a lightsaber means that people don't know you're a Jedi, which matters.

Speaking of main character things, I'm sure we all noticed how hard the game was shoving Bastila at the main character. Since Bioware are of the "I know writers who use subtlety, and they're all cowards" school, yes, this means that a male main character can romance Bastila. It's better than the female main character/Carth one, though, because I don't want to throw Bastila out the nearest airlock.

For the off-hand slot, you can eventually get a short-bladed lightsaber, which deals 2d6 but has the Balanced tag, but because of the rarity of the good enhancement crystals and what bonuses they give, a double-bladed lightsaber's better if you can find it. But as the Casty Jedi instead of the Stabby Jedi, I'd give priority on the good poo poo to someone else.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Are Carth and Bastila the only Romance Options? If so- :(

They're the only ones that are actually fully implemented. There's hints of a third, but it only comes up at the very end and only if you have a specific set of flags set.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Speaking of robots, just what kind of position do droids occupy? Are they sapient beings or not? Because "that lady is really attached to her droid, if you know what I mean :heysexy:" is something that is presented kind of oddly. Droids appear to have a range of emotions and their own desires, even with the programming and all that, but they're still bought and sold and have their minds erased regularly, so either they're not self-aware and people just anthropomorphize them way too hard, or there's some deeply horrific poo poo going on with droids.

To be fair, this is a problem with Star Wars in general, but still.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While everyone is (rightly) pointing out how hosed up the Juhani situation is, I want to point at the droid situation again, and the fact that there are only lovely solutions to it. Destroy her only emotional crutch, return her emotional crutch, or cause her to pine forever after something she'll never know she can get back? Those are all pretty hosed.

I can understand the "she needs to meet other people, and I am not people" thing (sort of; I am willing to roll with the inconsistent way Star Wars treats AIs for now), but there has to be an easier way to go about weaning her off her emotional support droid, and "that droid you loved so much and fixated on is DEAD" is the kind of thing that you'd think would just make things worse.

Also as a side note, the whole "hey the way the Jedi do poo poo is pretty hosed up if you think about it, like, at all" thing is one of the major points of KOTOR2, along with it being "hey Bioware Morality kind of sucks, doesn't it?"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you approach the Krayt Dragon without doing the bantha fodder thing, then it just plays a cutscene of the Krayt Dragon approaching, and you immediately get a game over.

If you shake down (or kill) the guy who did the mine laying, you can get two pearls. It's a pretty good lightsaber bit, so it's worth doing if you don't mind the obvious :moreevil: part. It's also one of the reasons that double-bladed sabers are generally considered better than two regular sabers: there just aren't enough good crystals to go around.

But the game isn't that hard and two differently colored lightsabers looks cool, so v:shobon:v

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So Persuade and Repair are the skills you can't outsource, then? Persuade because you do all the talking and only you can have it anyway, and Repair so you can get all the content from HK-47?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Obsidian in those days had a reputation for being the people you brought in to do sequels which then performed worse than the originals because they were not given timetables or budgets to match their ambition.