Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fivemarks posted:

Urgh. Why does every LP of KOTOR have to go with a female scoundrel? What next, you're going Dark Side too?

Short version?
Dps, tanks* and wizards Jedi are a dime a dozen and you've got good party members for those slots.
Now, the skillmonkey? You need one in the party 24/7, so you might as well be one. Sneak attack gives decent damage output anyways and doubling up with a rogue NPC is not that redundant.

*not that it's possible to tank under the 3.5 ruleset but whatever

achtungnight posted:

Seriously, I agree with you that the way this game does Dark Side is kinda bleah. You'd think the real Dark Side would be more subtle and less cliched.
I'd have agreed with you some years ago. Now, I find the Siths (and the Dark Side) being slightly smarter versions of Trump the most believable part of the setting.

E: but I do agree that the :moreevil: faction should be written with a touch more nuance and subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did the Jedi council support Palpatine's power grab? I didn't watch the prequel movies.

The dark side option is perfectly sensible honestly. If by any chance a Sith followed the questline to the end without force choking/lightning any of these assholes (hell if I know why though) then frankly letting the idiots kill each other would be cathartic.
Actually, I could see Palpatine doing poo poo like this as training for his persuasion and manipulation skills.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

The prequel trilogy is mostly to blame for the Jedi being stupid and crazy; in the original, Luke and Obiwan are decent guys. And the whole 'Obiwan lied about Vader' thing is primarily because Vader being Luke's dad wasn't even planned until Empire Strikes Back was written.

In retrospect Lucas clearly thought "from a certain point of view" was a valid answer and not Obi-wan desperately trying to flail out of admitting a blatant and deliberate lie.

Now admittedly the lie was needed back on Tatooine, no way young Luke doesn't react badly to the revelation, and Obi-wan caught a slight case of death while escaping, but Yoda should have told Luke.

Thinking a bit about it, I think the Juhani situation can be made to work with minimal changes:
1) we have Bastila in the party. She's de facto supervising us. Make it official
2) protect the civilians from the angered wildlife in the meantime you goddamn rear end in a top hat Jedis
3) and make this an accident not a deliberate object lesson from Juhani's master you goddamn rear end in a top hat Jedis

like, straight up admit: "well, we didn't plan this but this happened a week ago and it is a great practical test for a would-be padawan, we've cordoned off the area to avoid casualties and if you screw up Bastila can intervene, good luck"
Still assholes, but not stupid and callous ones.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

With Revan dead, and with a non-idiot Jedi as the PC in charge of the Star Forge mission, the Republic actually stands a chance, because Malak doesn't know how to properly leverage the McGuffin. Has the writing hammered enough that Revan was a loving big deal?
It's the massive weak point of the Sith philosophy, it only selects for short term power over long term stability. Revan or Palpatine are the exceptions.

Although I'd like a Kotor 0 about Revan and Malak's adventures in the Mandalorian wars and then the search for the Star Forge.

Just to point how full of poo poo the Jedi also are: in The Old Republic, an high member of the Jedi council is named Satele Shan. She's an idiot "no emotions, love is a weakness leading to the Dork Side" like all the others, and to point the hypocrisy here I'll just add she's Bastila and (male) PC's granddaughter.

E: autocorrect, stop randomly changing Revan into Raven or Regan

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 2, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Psion posted:

to bioware's credit I think they learned how to foreshadow even better in a future title but I'll leave it at that.

Possible Bioware game spoiler, I'm dropping the title --------Jade Empire?-------

Anyways, I called this twist relly loving early when I played way back then, because of this conversation (it's from update 2):

The third option is cut off, but IIRC it finishes "I'm not Revan" or something on those lines. Knowing Carth was a romantic option I just realized that yes, Bioware was going to go there and milk the situation for all the angst in a galaxy far far away.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gnome de plume posted:

There's also one in Mass Effect 2 but you can solve that one simply by Being Commander Shepard.

Tali's trial was far more politics than actual trial. One of the Being Commander Shepard solutions is to convince the spectators that the trial is BS and raise the crowd into a riot. It does make sense, as long you accept Shepard's charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean Palpatine is smart in that he actually plays the long game and plans things out to an insane degree...on the other hand he keeps gleefully going "YES KILL MY SECOND AND BE MY NEW RIGHT HAND SITH" :moreevil: at the earilest opportunity and that certainly has no possible downsides at all :v:

Honestly, I don't think that was really a major blunder by Palpatine. I'm going to assume he cleared the plan with Vader beforehand, because it'd be fairly easy to spin when Anakin's whole deal is fanatical and short-sighted devotion to his family's safety.
"Anakin, I'd love to have your son on board, I truly do, but just think. He's been trained at first by Obi-Wan and then by Yoda. You know how treacherous and hypocrital the Jedi are, they clearly filled your son's head with the same lies they tried to brainwash you with all those years ago.
I hope I'm wrong and Luke will be willing to see truth peacefully, but I fear that your old mentor's lies went unchallenged for too long, and only some powerful act of sacrifice will break through the lies.
You came to me all these years ago because you feared for Padmé's life, and I failed to help you, my good friend. Now that Luke is back with us, the Jedi treachery that kept him from you finally exposed, I promise I will keep him safe"

And so on and so forth. Master manipulator is Palpy's shtick, I don't think it's be an hard sell.

The moment he actually hosed up was when he completely lost it and decided to torture Luke to death. While standing right next to the guy whose whole deal is fanatical and short-sighted devotion to his family's safety.