Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

CzarChasm posted:

It's too bad that we will never get an HD remake/rerelease of either KOTOR I or II, because I would love to play this again with an expanded character generator/creator (to cut down on the clone NPCs), updated graphics and the ability to play it on a modern PC and nothing else.

Any particular reason a remake is out of the question? I know that sometimes IP rights get hopelessly entangled, or the source code gets lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

FoolyCharged posted:

In case anyone is wondering why cart has a reputation for constantly interrupting you looking like he wants to talk, here's why.

The way companion dialogue works is that every time you level up you unlock the next tier of dialogue with your party members. Carth recruits himself right at the start when levels are everywhere and he's your ONLY party member for hours, so theres nothing to break up the deluge of new conversations with him.

The game really is very blunt about it- HEY SHITHEAD, YOUR OBNOXIOUS FRIEND NEEDS THERAPY AGAIN! I think the devs expected this would be a lot of of players' first RPG, so they went out of their way to make things accessible. Same with the simplified skills/feats/combat system, the generally-forgiving difficulty, and the straightforward writing. Seriously, everyone comes across as very direct in their conversations. It feels kinda stilted, but at least it's clear!

Got a few chuckles out of some of the dialogue options, too: a.) [Persuade] Maybe I can help! or b.) Tell me what I want to know or I'll end your problems- permanently! It would have been perfectly at home in a Bethesda game.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I never noticed the alien sound loops as a kid, at least not consciously. I do remember the voice acting being pretty solid overall, which was most definitely not standard in a lot of video games of the era. Otherwise, the music and sound effects sounded just like the movies, and I remember thinking that the melee/lightsaber animations were appropriately flashy and impractical and suitably Star Wars.

As I think about those animations, it seems to me that the system was very similar to what Bioware used in NWN and the Infinity Engine games before it, in that the animations are a.) turn-based and b.) require the participants to be a specific distance apart facing specific directions. If the distance or facing was ever-so-slightly off, the engine would "slide" the characters into position like chess pieces. It was especially noticeable in NWN, but they were able to reduce it somewhat for KotOR- am I remembering that right?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Doc M posted:

I usually just auto-level Carth because I don't give a poo poo about the skills and feats he gets. As someone who has literally never played D&D, I'm also not sure why Toughness is bad because more HP doesn't seem too terrible to my idiot brain. :downs: Is it just that the limited feats you get would be better used for something to improve your combat abilities?

You got it, more or less. The other thing about Toughness is that it's retroactive; as soon as you confirm it the game will recalculate your HP as if you'd had it from the beginning. It's a decent pick once you've got your "core" feats, but it doesn't enable your build the same way dual-wielding or critical strike does, especially early on.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
It's really not that big of a deal. I ended up taking Toughness on most of my characters, actually- I just waited till they hit level 16 or so. Plus I think the 2nd rank reduces the damage you take from every single hit by 2, which is substantial. I might be thinking of KotOR 2 though, it's been a while.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I wonder if there's a fail-safe implemented in case the player has less than 2000 credits for T3? It's probably to just threaten her and take the dark side hit, I suppose.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I kinda like the visual representation of light/dark side in the character info screen; light side characters gaze upward reverently, surrounded by a shining blue-white aura, while dark side characters scowl and pose like Dragonball Z villains, complete with sinister red lighting and copious smoke. You can practically hear the angelic chorus/screams of the damned in the background. Good poo poo.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
HK's one-note personality is considerably more tolerable than Carth's one-note personality, at least. Until this LP I had genuinely forgotten how annoying he was.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

BisbyWorl posted:

I find it a bit strange how they just cutscene kill you here, but let you actually fight the Rancor back on Taris.

Although considering the size of it, odds are the engine just couldn't handle a fight against an enemy that big.

Or even just having the battle look/feel right. Probably would have taken more time/people/resources than it was really worth. It seems like the conversation with the hunter even lampshades it a bit - "yeah it's not honorable but whaddya gonna do? :shrug:" It does feel sort of anti-climactic, which is probably why the Calo Nord fight appears here. Although I think he actually tracks you down to whichever planet you do first, so if you don't do Tatooine first, then I guess that's that? Wonder if there's an alternate encounter...

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I think the Yavin merchant eventually sells an item that boosts Repair and a bunch of other skills. It might not be available until after you've completed the Star Map, though, and I can't remember if HK's quest times out by then or not.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

quote:

Before reading this post, I thought the Mandalorians fought with honor. Attacking from stealth and only if you don't have equipped weapons doesn't sound very honorable.

The Mandalorians are scattered and leaderless since the end of the war, and their credo is basically "might makes right" anyway, so I could see how a few bands might rationalize petty banditry. It's been known to happen in the real world, at different times and places- medieval/early modern Europe and Japan come to mind, and I'm sure there are other examples.

I always liked the overall aesthetic of this planet, with the platform villages and walkways built among the trees, and the FMV of the lift descending always had a cool look to it (when it wasn't crashing the game, at least!) If the remake comes to fruition, it'd be really cool to see the area in a modern engine. I didn't realize it featured in Fallen Order, I'll have to check that out sometime.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Night10194 posted:

Considering how much Jedi love 'a certain point of view' and mind tricks, deception is extremely Light Side.

All subtlety was cut from this game before release, I'm afraid. With extreme prejudice.

As I recall, the interaction with the Buildogram changes if you visit Kashyyyk last, due to spoilery plot developments. It's a nice bit of attention to consistency. Also, OP, did Tattooine feel significantly shorter than the other planets? Kashyyyk seemed to take an update or two longer to get through, and from what I remember Korriban and Manaan are some of the longer planets in the game. Besides Taris, anyway.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought Thrawn was hella dumb even in like eigth grade.

"And then Napoléon listened to a bunch of Mozart and knew just how to defeat the austrians"

I read them in middle school, and haven't thought about them since. I do remember that bit though, which struck me even at the time as pretty stupid. I kinda remember aliens that I thought were pretty cool, they were all hunched over and freaky-looking and they were the best warriors ever and so on and so forth. And they called Leia 'Lady Vader', which was so funny to me at the time that I remember it ~20 years later.

After that I read two more Star Wars novels, which were both terrible and turned me off of Star Wars fiction. One was about a race of invading lizardmen who wanted to enslave the galaxy. They also had a little boy they had brainwashed into being their representative or something, and every time he communicated with the lizardmen it was super uncomfortable. The other was called The Crystal Star and I remember almost nothing about it except for Luke Skywalker uploading the soul of his love interest into a giant crystal computer, which was apparently cool and good.

...now to go see if I'm remembering these correctly.

EDIT: The lizardmen slaver book is called The Truce at Bakura, and it's more or less what I remember. There is a Star Wars book called The Crystal Star, but the plot is totally different from the one I remember, so I guess I got it mixed up with a different book.

EggsAisle fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2020

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Hmm, you're right, the info I can find on The Crystal Star is completely different. So I must have been thinking of a different book, which means I read more Star Wars books than I thought. And yeah, don't remember WARU at all. :shrug: I don't know what to tell you, except that it was middle school and I was, among other things, trying to figure out why I was simultaneously intensely attracted to and intensely annoyed by the girl who sat across from me in health class.

In short, I hope I'm never called on as an eyewitness.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Darth Bane? Not even gonna make the token effort, huh? Just roll with the name that sounds like an edgelord self-insert from some garbage fanfic...? Sure, why not. I give credit to Bioware's writers here- Darth Malak, Darth Revan, Darth Bandon, those are all perfectly serviceable and respectable Sith names. They are exactly as (un)subtle as they ought to be, no more and no less.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I always thought Korriban was quite pretty, despite being mostly brown rocks. The sunset skybox in the valley has aged remarkably well too. Some really solid art direction there.

:imunfunny:

Lashowe, on the other hand... not so much.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
NWN1 comes across as very bland most of the time. It's very paint-by-numbers D&D, and even if you don't know much about D&D it has exerted enough influence on fantasy fiction culture that you see through it pretty fast unless maybe it's your first experience in the genre. It did take a few modest stabs at creativity, though- if any part of the campaign was memorable in a good way, it was the Charwood sequence.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Back when I first played this game, I didn't really think much about it until the interrogation scene, and then I started to put the pieces together. I'd noticed that they not only had been concealing Revan's face (not uncommon for a Sith Lord) but also avoiding using pronouns, which stood out to me even at the time. After the Saul fight, I tentatively guessed the connection, and Malak's first few lines in his confrontation sealed the deal. So I technically guessed the twist before the cutscene, but only by a few minutes.

The space walk scene makes me think of the Dead Space games. Couldn't say exactly why or how, beyond the obvious sci-fi connection.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Sure looks like a debug room to me. The Zaalbar clone is interesting, maybe it was for testing the AI pathing, especially in close quarters. Or maybe for testing Zaalbar's model and/or animations. Things like his head clipping through a too-low doorframe or some such.

As to how the glitch works, my educated guess is an incorrectly-set flag. The game most likely has numerous Ebon Hawk maps, which are used for different planets, cutscenes, etc. It relies on variables to tell it which map to load. If the variables return a value that the developers didn't intend, then the player winds up in a map they didn't intend. Simple as that. Although we have no real way of knowing, there were probably other bugs fixed during testing like "landed on Tattooine, exited the Ebon Hawk, and then I was on Korriban." It's all the same error: the game faithfully carrying out the wrong set of instructions.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I remember doing these math puzzles too, in particular the final one, because I was in high school at the time and we were, no poo poo, learning about logarithms in math class. I had to laugh, I'd always heard that learning math in school would come in handy someday, but I hadn't been expecting it to be quite so direct.

Bioware and Obsidian were really fond of trials during this time, weren't they? Both NWN games had one, both KotOR games have one, the first Dragon Age has one (convincing the nobility to abandon an antagonist)... was there a trial in Jade Empire? I read the (very good) LP of it a few years ago, but I can't recall.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it was a sidequest nexus in, i want to say act 3?

It's this. There's an alliance between Neverwinter and the local barbarians, a Neverwinter soldier got shanked and a barbarian warrior was accused of the crime. The quest is to get him acquitted. IIRC it was fairly complex for a NWN1 quest, but it was kinda presented kinda low-key. I only remember it because I was playing through a bunch of my old RPGs a few years back.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Robindaybird posted:

Not to mention there's something kind of slimy about basically advocating punching reporters even if they're being dicks - especially as in ME3 you can bring one on board to give fawning reports about your activities.

That fawning reporter is the very reporter you choose whether to punch in ME2 :v:

I chose punch the first time, and paragon response the second time. If I ever replay it, I'll take paragon response every time. She (the reporter) basically steps into a rhetorical trap, which you then calmly use to not only turn the tables, but demolish her whole argument. It's awesome. I especially like it because hardly any games give your character a chance to say anything intelligent, let alone make an opponent look like an idiot. Very satisfying when it finally happens.

Also, these Selkath judges, whew! They must be fun to have around at parties. They should've made a spin-off Ace Attorney-esque game in which you try cases in front of these jackasses all day. The meme potential would have been endless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Xander77 posted:

Nope. First of all, the same reporter can be punched (or head-butted) in all three ME games.

Your on-board reporter is a different character, with the digital likeness of a real-life IGN journalist. And you can bang her. Not sure which part of that is more gross, honestly.

You are entirely correct, that was my mistake. I feel like it's really both of those aspects together that make it gross...