Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

“The Carth” of BioWare games, as I’ve come to codify it, is typically:

-One of the very first party members.
-The “gruff (youngish) veteran, but still good at heart” type.
-Has some dark and tragic past that the narrative treats as mysterious... but the character feels like they’re practically tripping over themselves to spill the beans to your PC.
-Widely derided for having a relatively shallow character development arc, usually as a consequence of having already experienced it during said dark and tragic past.

-Implying dealing with past tragedy isn't a good enough arc in itself.

Yeah, lots of people say they hate Carth, but nothing on that list is a reason to. The one other big reason I've heard that hasn't been mentioned here yet just makes the people making it look like assholes.

Carth himself is one of the better-done examples of the archetype in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Carth's attempts at "flirting" do not match up with his core character at all. Frankly, the only way I can make sense of it is the possibility that he's trying to annoy you so you'll stop asking questions.

Side note, in the SWD20 rulebook, an R2 unit costs 4,500 credits off the shelf. Then again, a generic-brand blaster rifle costs 1,800. Plus, y'know, several millennia are supposed to have passed between these games and the movies.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

Does it ever get properly explained in this game or the sequel why the Mandalorians decided to attack the Republic or is it all handwavey space-mongol bullshit?

The information is there in this game, as a single line in a companion conversation which the PC doesn't have time to consider the implications of.
KOTOR 2 notices those implications and builds on them. TOR and its tie-ins go against the message of KOTOR 2 but spell it out very clearly.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Carth comes the closest to pointing out how screwed up that is - though even he doesn't go far enough.

First the Jedi trick you into becoming an enemy, then they welcome you back as a friend. I can't say I approve of their training methods.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Here's what Carth actually says about giving the widow money.
I'm glad to see we're still the good guys here. Sometimes I think we forget that.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I know that Mission's personal quest can bug out if you don't progress her conversations far enough before finishing up with the Sand People.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, the storyteller provides some pretty interesting lore, but as the sole reward for a unique lightsaber mod that at this point is pretty drat good is... not a great trade. Especially since if you're seeing this you're probably light side route and thus only have 1 pearl period. Saving, seeing it, and then reloading is such an optimal thing I'm not even sure why they didn't change the test to just be showing the chief the pearl, rather than giving it.

Well, it's not actually the sole reward. The Gaderffii you can loot by waiting until after he's around to provoke a fight has decent stats.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

We're far enough in the past that the Rule of Two hasn't been invented yet. You don't need to do deep lore dives to figure that's what Bioware's running with.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This is why I save Korriban for last. On top of it being... the most blatantly dangerous of all the options, doing it after the reveal makes it into notRevan taking another look at the Sith ways.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Nolan is an idiot. Why not grab some kolto and test the toxin out on first beforehand? What intelligent person would just assume the kolto would be okay after being exposed to an untested toxin?

He doesn't assume there are no effects on the Kolto. He just doesn't care.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

ikanreed posted:

The only character it makes sense to want to kill runs away so he can be in Kotor 2
Who are you talking about? Canderous never runs away, and Carth only appears outside of a recorded message if Revan was a lightsider.

CzarChasm posted:

If you have Juhanni pursue the dark side do you still have to kill her if you side with Bastilla?

You can't make Juhanni pursue the dark side. Killing Xor is a one-time thing that leaves her back at the repenting for her temper stage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

achtungnight posted:

What I wonder about is where Malak gets all the crew to operate and maintain all these ships. Droids made by the Star Forge can only do so much. And when one ship after another is instantly generated with instant crew in full operational condition, the bullshit meter runs into overdrive. Unless of course we're using "Your Mind Makes It Real."

Most of them must be drones under AI or remote control. There's no way that Malak has any more people than Revan took with him in the first place.