Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

SoundwaveAU posted:

The level cap is 20, iirc.
Yeah, level cap is 20 and it's fairly well positioned. There's maybe 22 levels worth of XP in the game at a guess, and by a "normal" playthrough you get roughly enough to cap on the last map or so, not far from the final confrontation.

Xarn posted:

God I forgot how much certain force powers were broken.
KOTOR2 really did a solid to force powers, given how disadvantaged they were to lightsabers in 1. Force lightning literally instakilling everything with the correct and fairy intuitive builds? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Depending on how deep you were willing to dig into EU novels you could find all sorts of stupid power creep or other assorted dumbness (lightwhips lmao). The Force Unleashed was just silly fun tho, it was great.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I can hear these loops and I don't like them

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Doc M posted:

When we get to maximum MUCHA SHAKA PAKA (those of you who played this probably know which specific quest I mean), I'll include a video in the update because that deserves to be seen and heard in its full glory.

And yeah, KotOR is pretty much where all the BioWare cliches started, and it hasn't necessarily held up super well in hindsight. If this is your first experience with KotOR after playing all the games they've produced since then, I completely understand why it might seem somewhat underwhelming.

The cliches were already in full bloom in NWN as far as I remember.

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's not the game's fault, it's the nearly 20 years gone by. Like, look how clunky and awful that interface is. Hell, even the 5 years between ME1 and 3 - so many (actually good) changes to inventory, leveling, combat, etc.

After the disasters that were MEA and Anthem people are pissed at BW but when you look at it they've been doing the same thing over and over again forever. It's quite possible they only had those earlier successes because game dev required a lot less back then and now they can't run a project to literally save their lives. If DA4 bombs I wouldn't be surprised if EA took them out behind the barn and unceremoniously killed them. Which is a shame, because they've made some really fun games recycled elements or no. EA isn't helping by wanting everything to be MTX lootbox city. VGA's voted Sekiro GOTY which is a single-player no microtransaction story heavy game - there's a definite market for them but EA's not looking past the next quarter.

Eh. It's both really, KOTOR is playing it completely by the numbers to the point I was calling out plot twists when I first played it as a kid 15 years ago. KOTOR2 is built on the same engine, unfinished, and holds up considerably better - to the point that you might even finish it in 2020 without stabbing pencils through your eyes. Plenty of people including myself replayed it in 2016? when the restoration mod was released, while I think I finished KOTOR twice when it came out and then abandoned any replay attempts as soon as Carth opened his gob on Taris.

Bioware made its money on selling the same story and characters 10 different times and it worked because the execution was decent to good for its time and everyone knows and loves the tropes. It's the McDonalds of RPG gaming, you pretty much knew exactly what you will get, edible writing in a decent wrap. As long as you don't look to much into it you're fine. I think that if they found a decent setting to rewrite their story for the 20th time they could still make another successful new franchise, the problem is they've pretty much used them all up at this point. Maybe they could do one of the Warhammers, they seem to be giving licenses to anyone these days.

TitanG fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 4, 2020

TitanG
May 10, 2015

MechaCrash posted:

I think that Neverwinter Nights era Bioware could've done something interesting with Warhammer, and early Mass Effect era could've. But now? No, I think Bioware is just a neglected headless corpse being kept by dipshits who don't know the difference between death spasms and pining for the fjords, so whatever they did with it wouldn't be very good.

Although seeing Bioware Morality applied to a setting where your choices are "evil" or "more evil" would be interesting, for certain values of interesting. :v:

Nah, you're not seeing the obvious routes. I don't know enough about WHF to talk, but in 40k you just make a Dark Heresy game. Intro shows how you got volunteered into being an acolyte, the plot can literally be a reskin of NWN and there you go. Morality is straight out of Mass Effect, barely any adjustment needed.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I half agree, I think the original was the better game at the time but it aged way worse. The story of it is pretty shallow, kinda hole-y and once you've seen the setpieces that's basically it. Not to mention we saw most of the story and characters in all of the next Bioware games. And past the set pieces there's not much to hold up the terribly dated everything else. The sequel IMO vastly improved on the combat to the point of it actually being kinda fun (most of the time) and had several new characters that had fairly interesting ideas that weren't really explored in other games (even though half of those got left on the cutting floor, rip G0-T0). To me, that makes it easier to pick up again and have another go.
Along that though, I'd say that you're looking at the game with some massive nostalgia goggles, especially the fleshing out part. Could be that I'm forgetting things, but we'd best leave this discussion for later in the LP.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

achtungnight posted:

Wow, you sure packed a lot into that update. And that race gimmick has to be one of the most counter intuitive and sneaky video game tricks I’ve seen. This game is pretty cool.

I don’t think I like our new Jedi party member though. She’s arrogant and she claims to like Carth, then snipes at him when they meet. Jedi with special trick or not, I think I’d stick with the kid and the Wookie as my buddies. If not for game mechanics that is. :(

As far as I remember, it's actually done surprisingly fair. IIRC if you get under 25 or 24 seconds you win outright in the first heat. If you barely beat the first time and barely beat it again (your second time is over ~30 seconds) you need to beat it a third time to actually win the race.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I could be misremembering and that's actually how it works in one of the KOTOR 2 races honestly

TitanG
May 10, 2015

mateo360 posted:

Please not that upon leaving Taris, we have 6 out of the 9 party members on our select screen. They give you 2/3rds of your group before leaving the first planet. Balance? What's that?
At least they get time to develop character (hurr hurr)
I mean the alternative is one of the party members that can get picked up literally an hour away from endgame and then never used at all because why lol.

achtungnight posted:

I’m just wondering if any of the three will be memorable characters. Mission and Big Z are cool, but they also seem kinda one note. The droid is a blank slate we can’t understand, Canderous is one note so far, and Carth is... Carth. Bastila has Jennifer Hale voice, pretty face, but is also spoiled arrogant. There’s not really a Firefly or Guardians of the Galaxy vibe amongst this crew.
Honestly one is extremely memorable if mega one-note, one is usually stuck in a broom closet and forgotten and the last one is probably the most interesting of the three but gets picked up so late I'd bet most players never really bothered as iirc he's not mandatory for any stretch.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Yeah, you can pick him up really fast - or you can pick him up literally at the last point before endgame and just skip him because you're bored of everyone at that point (he's also mechanically redundant tbh), plus most of his story is elsewhere. Getting 6/9 pretty fast at least ensures you can bench Carth so deep he never even sees the pitch get to know them a bit. Honestly all the remaining three should be around where the seventh one is IMO, if just so you can give them all some playtime without jumping around like an idiot.

TitanG fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 12, 2020

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Thotimx posted:

Personally I'm in the camp where I think almost all of your party members should be frontloaded in an RPG, so you can decide what to do with them. That has its drawbacks, but getting one over halfway through a game really annoys me because I don't have time to care about them before the climax of the story.

I agree. Only way you should be getting party members late is if they were recurring NPCs or antagonists beforehand, so you already know them.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

MechaCrash posted:

For the off-hand slot, you can eventually get a short-bladed lightsaber, which deals 2d6 but has the Balanced tag, but because of the rarity of the good enhancement crystals and what bonuses they give, a double-bladed lightsaber's better if you can find it. But as the Casty Jedi instead of the Stabby Jedi, I'd give priority on the good poo poo to someone else.

Mechanically I'm pretty sure dual-wielding is actually the strongest option due to what crystals are available, double-bladed saber is just easier (and cooler). Not like it matters, the game is easy enough.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, it doesn’t really get looked at too much beyond what we’ve already seen in this game, but it’s one of the major themes and driving questions of KOTOR 2: did the Jedi massively gently caress up by deciding to sit back and wait even after the war finally got started, or were they really correct to wait for the “true threat” to reveal itself to them?

And though it’s kind of set dressing in this game, the Mandalorian War is practically a character in and of itself, with how much it continues to affect the entire cast.
It's not really a driving question, it gets outright stated multiple times that Mandalorians were on course to completely stomp the Republic if Revan didn't take over and pull off some amazing poo poo to somehow barely win. The driving question is more or less "What did we give away to win the war? Was it worth it?" with everyone busy suffering through PTSD.

Also, I got a question for DocM as I had a bad flashback yesterday: do any of the run speed mods/cheats work on your version?

TitanG
May 10, 2015

turol posted:

Just spam Force Speed. Your companions will catch up. Eventually.

I'm not sure it works in THAT sequence

Doc M posted:

Not to my knowledge, and I don't even have Burst of Speed at this point (I've got most of the game recorded and Zila is currently level 16) because I didn't want to waste a power on that :shepface:

... you are straight up insane.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

lightrook posted:

I always thought that using a double-weapon was the best of both worlds, between a using full-sized weapon in each hand and still having the Balanced tag to offset the dual wielding penalty. Have I been missing something glaringly obvious this entire time, or is the normal saber better because of crit-fishing with a keen weapon and Critical Strike? I've always used Flurry as my combat feat of choice, so I've never even considered relying on crits for extra damage, although with the maximum crit chance, I can see now how adding 50% damage (and change) to 4 attacks is better than getting off 5 hits every time, on average.

As far as I remember the extra bonuses from the special color crystals just about offset the difference. I mean it's honestly academic, you're doing something ridiculous like 4-40 damage on 5 attacks+critical threat anyway, a couple points of damage don't matter in the end.
Edit RE: KOTOR2: not force-frying literally everything is playing the game wrong. :science: :supaburn:

TitanG fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 12, 2020

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Comrade Koba posted:

Does it ever get properly explained in this game or the sequel why the Mandalorians decided to attack the Republic or is it all handwavey space-mongol bullshit?

The Mandalorian clans realised the republic is there for the taking and they were led by one of their greatest leaders. Later media says it was actually THE LIZARDMEN JEWS TRUE SITH THAT DID IT

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I just wanna say that Juhani and Tattooine in general is just... How the gently caress did the dumbfucks running the Jedi Order not manage to get completely wiped out ages ago? Obviously it's gameplay>lore (or common sense) in this case but come on. One of the biggest remaining bastions of Jedi power has Mandalorians shanking people RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE ENCLAVE? The whole Juhani situation is also handled poorly, to say the least. Jedi trained so well they turn to the dark side for a training accident lol. And that's not even taking into account the ruins or other assorted stupidity going on.
It also kinda destroys the Council narrative of Revan being too hot-headed and "not ready" and "dabbled in matters beyond his understanding" while pretty much confirming that Revan did nothing wrong before you even hear any arguments from the supposed dark side. These guys can't even get some knockoff Mandalorians off their lawn, how would they fare in a war?

TitanG
May 10, 2015

To be fair to Star Wars, in most situations we're looking at the twilight years of a massive (para)military organisation that is completely unchecked by the government. Not just that, they're basically alien to the populace due to their training and powers (not to mention their splinters keep dragging everyone into wars every couple years or so), while being arrogantly superior on their own. They're also completely used to having their way due to the soft power (and mind powers) they wield, so not caring about the plebs at all then doing something idiotic when they realise they're getting outmaneuvered is realistic. I mean it's not the first civil war/splinter problem that got solved or "solved" by throwing Jedi knight assassins at it.
The fine writing is more or less all over the place, but the broad strokes align with the roman praetorian guard, medieval knightly orders, the jannisaries etc. who were also more or less obvious inspirations. And there's pretty much nobody that can write stuff well with "objective" morality being forced on the setting, you'll inevitably run into (war)crimes justified and excused by alignment checks. Not to mention smaller scale jarring stuff like the whole Juhani thing. If was Obsidian writing it instead of Bioware I'd say they're lampshading on purpose with an inevitable later Sith quest/dialogue dealing with the same situation in a sensible way, really.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

Unfortunately I feel KOTOR 2 also goes too far in doing this and disappears up its own rear end at a point, but I know that's not really the consensus opinion of that story.

Chris Avellone seems be prone to falling into the "hurr every side is equally terrible forever hurr" hole occasionally
also there's apparently a System Shock remake being kickstarted in 2020, looking at his wiki?

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I'm pretty sure you have doubles of every decent crystal though. IIRC double-bladed saber is considerably better in KOTOR 2 with the personal crystal (for a fighter, if you spam lightning you go dual-wield for the bonuses), but here there's not that much of a difference. I think there's a very slight edge to damage with a double-bladed saber and optimal load, but two sabers get slightly more utility due to special crystals giving modifiers.

TitanG fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 16, 2020

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Gnome de plume posted:

A young child who was captured by Mandalorians, who only speaks Mandalorian, huh? If only we knew someone more familiar with this kind of situation, someone, I don't know, connected with the Mandalorians somehow, could have made the conversation a lot easier.

Oh well.

Doc M posted:

As far as I understand, she doesn't actually speak Mandalorian, just knows a few scattered words that she's using completely wrong. Note that the game describes it as "Sasha's strange language" rather than "Mandalorian".

Yeah, she's not supposed to speak actual Mandalorian, there's at least three people in the full party that speak it (including MC). There is some dumbness around languages later on but having Zila figure this one on her own is A-OK. Would be pretty hilarious if you could bring Canderous to try and make sense of it, missed opportunity.
Also, show of hands, how many of those that played before straight-up forgot that Juhani is a party member? That "threat" is straight-up amazing though :laffo:

TitanG
May 10, 2015

achtungnight posted:

I heard there was a way to code in a same-sex romance for Bastila. Probably takes a lot of effort, though.

Some interesting developments here on Kashyyk. Chundar's behavior does have some basis in the history of real life slavery. It doesn't make him any less despicable, though. Especially sucks that we have to cooperate with him and the Czerka Corporation too, hope we get to take these slavers down at some point. And bring back the Wookie father, so Zaalbar doesn't have to stay behind as new chieftain and no longer be a party member.

The Shadowlands are an area of Kashyyk I explored some of in Jedi Fallen Order recently. Got the feeling there was a lot more to it, though. We'll probably see some in this game.

I think it just skips a flag check, you get an unedited romance text as if you were male.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

zakharov posted:

The Mandalorian fights on various planets are some of the toughest in the game. They hit hard and have an annoying habit of resisting force powers.

Kashyyyk and Manaan will both make you hate the looping alien voice audio.

Manaan has so much grating poo poo it's insane.
Also hello mr. Bindo, you're a pretty great guy. Hope you keep him around a lot.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Doc M posted:

Was that the thread about the rumored "reimagining" of the two KotOR games that is supposed to modernize them and make them fit with the current canon?

Not gonna lie, the idea of modern BioWare/EA (did the rumor actually say BioWare was involved?) retrofitting these games for the new canon and whatever the hell they're planning to do with the gameplay mechanics kinda fills me with dread, especially when the KotOR II story is supposed to get the treatment as well. If this thing is actually real (which is a big if) and comes out some day, I'm sure I'll play it but I really don't have high hopes.

I mean, as long as they don't do something massively idiotic KOTOR 1 can very easily be improved in pretty much every way by any studio. Everything is almost as cookie cutter as it gets, just remove the mechanical jank, write dark side dialogue slightly less idiotic and you got an easy win there, without much hassle. KOTOR 2 has way more potential to go sideways as soon as you start touching the story.
At least hopefully they don't go as far as putting lightsaber crystals in lootboxes.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

gently caress yeah Jolee stories.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I mean, what makes you think it's not an edgelord self-insert from a garbage fanfic? Just because it got published? :lol:

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Bandon really seems like an afterthought tbh. You see him for 3 seconds in the tutorial, then he randomly throws some force lightning around like a douche, then... dies. His total screentime is like 20 seconds and however long he manages to stall his inevitable demise with drain life. Doesn't even get mentioned anywhere, nobody has anything to say about him, he pops up and dies.
I agree with people saying that Korriban is probably the best planet. Manaan is also good but has some obnoxious poo poo that brings it down a bit.
Also, how in the actual gently caress are the Sith a military force with the Team Rocket bozos as their best recruits? Surely the fanboys outside the gates can't be a worse pick than those guys.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Welcome to the Jedi rave. Oontz oontz oontz.

bass drops by mass casting of force wave

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Malak is kind of an idiot

Malak is a goon. Pretty much the whole game hammers in that Revan was using him as an attack dog, point at target and let go. Now he's on his own he's basically just a rabid dog biting everything,
Also Dantooine didn''t just get nuked from orbit, they went down there and destroyed it manually.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

McNally posted:

I remember being surprised by the reveal my first playthrough.

After that, well...

Last time I played this game I named my character "Bob Revan" to make the reveal hilarious.

"I'm not Revan anymore. I'm Darth Revan!"
we all did this in one way or another
after that you name your char "yo momma" for the long payoff because you're 15
I think the reveal and foreshadowing is well done, there are hints you pick up but the rest is played well. Extremely obvious in hindsight but not that conclusive while you play. After you reassume your name, some things change too. You get to skip the whole star map "puzzle" on Kashyyk if you leave it for last, you walk there and it recognises you as Revan, presto star map. Korriban is hilarious as you're mega powerful and just slam everyone, but nobody believes you (the Elder Scrolls effect where bandits with pocket knives go against someone in full daedric armor in full effect). I don't remember any changes on Tattooine or Manaan though.
Also the whole thing just makes the Jedi Council look like a bigger bunch of braindead morons. Firstly, why the gently caress are you still alive? Secondly, if you were kept alive for *reasons* why in the actual gently caress do they stick you on a random battleship instead of properly brainwashing you in the Jedi Enclave? Third, why in the actual gently caress don't you get a proper chaperone in the way of a Jedi master or at least a veteran knight, instead you get Bastila and Juhani as escort? You got two of the most powerful Jedi assets loving around unsupervised, one is a former Sith Lord and the other has confessed that she's flirting with the dark side more often than she'd like, whatever can go wrong? This is why you lost all the wars, Jedi Council.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

wedgekree posted:

And on top of all that for this critical mission involving someone who is an ex Sith Lord that has a brain reprogramming going on they send Bastila, who is a.. Padawan/maybe Knight, a Padawan who fell to the Dark Side temporarily..

Like, why not send a Jedi Master along to guide the team, keep an eye on 'Revan' if something slipped, and be there to help Bastila?

Sure, 'main characters do everything' but given how critical this is one would -think- they would have found someone to send along on it.

Sure the SIth can be evil 80's cartoon characters, but the Jedi are just as bad.

Honestly there would be a lot more plot logic if they sent Jolee with you to start with and you found Juhani in the Shadowlands (or Korriban tbh). Jolee has his own quirks, but he's an experienced war veteran Knight still dedicated to the Republic, plus he's morally flexible enough to just stab you in the back if you went too dark side.

sebzilla posted:

All life is sacred to the Jedi...

How many kills do the party have to their name at this point?

Don't forget Malak only managed to backstab Revan because he got distracted by a Jedi assassin squad...

TitanG
May 10, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but the thing is that jolee has been dropping hints about his relationship with the jedi(they don't get along to the point where he talks about them as a group he isnt part of) even if he hasn't spelled it out too much as to why it got that way.

As CommissarMega said, he doesn't even have to know about it. Just stick Jolee in a dark cave somewhere on Dantooine with the Jedi Masters telling you to visit him as a "trial" while snickering. When you get there he just hears you have a ship and more or less stows away on it. You don't even have to rewrite that much about his character, have him be a bit of a prick occasionally at plot-relevant moments as he's a permanent member since planet 1 and you're good.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Psion posted:

That's the one, omobono.

Still, KOTOR's worked well enough. The idea that the Carth romance line would be a clue that got you to figure it out is hilarious to me for some reason. Bioware Romance giving away plot? Just hilarious.

I looked it up and the third line is "Hey, why are you getting so mad at me? It's not like this was my fault!" by the way. Which, in hindsight, well...

Probably wasn't tbfh. Nuking a planet "to prove his loyalty" sounds like something Malak would think up and Revan only heard of after the fact. Especially since it's made very clear he wanted to preserve the Republic's infrastructure as much as possible and not being a mouthbreathing idiot in general.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Night10194 posted:

No, you see. That guy's a slaver. Means he's safe from Jedi.

:capitalism:

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Nah they just get paid off by free Force-sensitive slaves. It's not child slavery and cult brainwashing if they get donated into a better situation, you see.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

mateo360 posted:

well of course she didn't sense a back shooting, it's not the same thing as a backstabbing

She probably sensed the impending backstabbing plenty if you know what I mean, so she just got used to it. Truly 200 IQ tactics from Sunry if you think about it.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Xander77 posted:

I mean, "I have super special force powers, and I want to use them to bully everyone who doesn't have super special force powers. Enlightened self-interest and the invisible hand which I use to force-choke people will eventually lead to only the specialest force-chosen force-users being in control" isn't even an exaggeration either of attitudes people would definitely have IRL if the force was real or of the Sith philosophy as explained in-game.

It's not, and there will be people like that, and those will likely be kicked out of the Order posthaste. The problem is that for all of the talk of "struggling with the light" and other bullshit that is showing the dark side as road to hell paved with good intentions, the need for vigilance over yourself to understand that basically having cheat sheets for everything doesn't make normal people just things and pawns (you got force persuade jesus christ) etc. your dark side choices are almost invariably KICK PUPPY HURR HURRRRRRR. A hobo asks you for money? Tell him to do some shady poo poo for you, and you'll pay, use force persuade in manipulative ways, blam people instead of giving them over to the law... there's so many ways to tempt people into abusing their power and most of the time you are only offered the pettiest poo poo possible. For a McGoon that might be enough, but you're a protagonist.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Man this section is the reason everyone busts out the speed cheats on the PC. Will we get a video of just how terribly bad it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Thank you for the LP.
I think the main problem with KOTOR is just that most of the things it does have been done better since. On its own it's still a pretty nice game, even though the writing and the general jank is at point very much worse that I've remembered. A high-budget remake would probably be an amazing game again, but hey. Looking forward to more Witcher stories :toot: .