Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ahaha, Carth is somehow even MORE annoying with a female character. I didn't think that was possible.

I hope you show off a few of the "too dumb to live" endings. I know there's one coming up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One reason KOTOR was fun was that you could play and win without doing too deep a dive into the numbers. Or you could completely shatter it if you looked closely.

Unfortunately the game ramps up the difficulty simply by increasing enemy numbers. So the final fights are just wave after wave of enemies with no time to heal. The endgame of KOTOR is by far the weakest part.

I don't think that's a spoiler!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

KOTOR 2 has better writing overall but also more aimless wandering.

It's also just DARK. Like, lighting wise. I had some eyestrain issues replaying it recently.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Dunno why Taris gets so much hate. It's got a nice variety of quests and even the sewers aren't that bad. At least they come with a map.

KOTOR 2 play through update: I'm convinced that everyone who remembers it fondly has forgotten how annoying the influence system was.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Taris has a shocking number of ways to die instantly for an intro level

Fight Calo Nord at the bar
Threaten the undercity elevator guard
Fight the rancor

Also I don't find the outcast thing that unrealistic. We're talking generations of social conditioning. I'm reminded of the third class passengers on the Titanic waiting for someone to tell them what to do until they drowned.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

MechaCrash posted:

Speaking of robots, just what kind of position do droids occupy? Are they sapient beings or not? Because "that lady is really attached to her droid, if you know what I mean :heysexy:" is something that is presented kind of oddly. Droids appear to have a range of emotions and their own desires, even with the programming and all that, but they're still bought and sold and have their minds erased regularly, so either they're not self-aware and people just anthropomorphize them way too hard, or there's some deeply horrific poo poo going on with droids.

To be fair, this is a problem with Star Wars in general, but still.

The real answer is that droids are as sentient as they need to be for whatever story is being told. It varies wildly.

I'm waiting for the Star Wars side story about the great droid revolt. Wait, that's just The Matrix.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I have never managed to persuade the dads to get along in this quest. Must be one hell of a persuade check.

This is also the site of one of the more evil things you can do. If you keep egging them on, and lie about Casus' death, you can get them all to kill each other!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Juhani is a Jedi Guardian which is nice to have around if your character is a squishy sentinel or consular.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

achtungnight posted:

The worst part of the party is we’re not sure who’s clearly in charge and why. Yeah, it’s the main character in charge obviously but would the Jedi really want the MC in charge? A former smuggler and low to mid rank soldier who just became a Padawan? Bastila can monitor us, yeah, but she isn’t even a full Knight either. And what’s our motivation? Save the galaxy from the Sith? Get the power of the Star Forge? Be a dickhead or do gooder for its own sake (something that I know from experience really doesn’t work for most people in real life)? It’s a trap a lot of games fall into- the main character must do the story because that’s all there is. But they forget there’s plenty of other stuff all around. Ugh!

Maybe Zaalbar will get more characterizing when we visit his home planet of Kashyyyk. Maybe, like Chewbacca, he has a family there he almost never sees thanks to the whole life debt thing.

I'm enjoying your posts! It's nice to have at least one person ITT that doesn't know every plot point. Are there any others here?

And I don't think it's a spoiler to say that some (but not all) of these things are cleared up later on.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Another way to die instantly on Tatooine: try to enter the Sand People enclave without wearing disguises. Even if you manage to dodge their patrols, their turrets will instantly kill you.

achtungnight posted:

Is there another boss fight on each planet? Seems like the only established bad guys besides Calo Nord are Malak and his Admiral, and I don't see us coming up against either of them yet.

Maybe.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Grizzwold posted:

Doing Tatooine later in the story makes the Calo fight extremely anticlimactic which amuses me to no end.

Calo shows up after you get your second map (first after Dantooine), whatever planet that happens to be.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Grizzwold posted:

Huh. I wonder why I never had much trouble with him then

If you can get Whirlwind or Statis to hit on Calo, his henchmen go down really quickly, and even Calo can't stand up against 3 v 1 for long.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The Mandalorian fights on various planets are some of the toughest in the game. They hit hard and have an annoying habit of resisting force powers.

Kashyyyk and Manaan will both make you hate the looping alien voice audio.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Slaan posted:

I don't think I've ever used Jolee. I tend to hit Kashyyk last and by that point I've gotten used to using Canderous and Zaalbaar

Hopefully this LP will let me finally see what he's about

Boy did you miss out. He has the best lines in the game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Is there anywhere else besides the Buildergram that punishes you for being light side?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Jolee is aware of Star Wars and fantasy cliches and calls them out the entire game, it rules.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What's the "right answer" for dark side players in that tomb?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Edit: misread a post

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The Academy firefight is one of the few tough parts of the game. You're outnumbered, everyone's aggro immediately, and unless you had the foresight to leave your party members by the valley exit before starting your test, there's a good chance they'll get wiped out like Jolee did here.

You only get the firefight if both Uthar and Yuthura are dead/departed. Sadly there's no way to make the students believe that you're in charge of the academy now :(

Fun fact: you can poison both of them, team up on a poisoned Uthar, fight a poisoned Yuthura, and still redeem her! She doesn't hold a grudge!

zakharov fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 1, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Edit: whoops that video shows some new stuff, I'll post it later

zakharov fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 2, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yep, this blew my drat mind when I was 17. I think it still works if you don't know that there IS a twist. If you know to look for one, the hints are pretty obvious. If you don't, well, Sith Lords hiding their faces isn't terribly uncommon...

Was anyone ITT completely unspoiled?

Sadly since we did Korriban third we won't get to go around trying to convince everyone that we're Revan. Nobody believes you...except Uthar if you side with him. You can convince him to pledge his loyalty to you and await your return.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Xarn posted:

All of them. And we keep getting stronger from them, which is something that is definitely light side. Right guys? Guuuuys? :v:

*glances at KOTOR 2*

TitanG posted:

Don't forget Malak only managed to backstab Revan because he got distracted by a Jedi assassin squad...

It was a capture squad ok!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Aww you're not going to romance Carth or Juhani? Well, the Bastila romance for a male character is better done anyway.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

ikanreed posted:

6000 corpses in your wake, but it's evil to make an unrepentant slaver can't enslave or murder more people.

The light side really is just defending the status quo, huh?

I mean, he's still very dead.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

So... fighting a guy using our lightsabres til he dies is okay as long as we’re not angry?

Killing out of personal hatred, rather than protection/self-defense, is a path to the dark side, which Juhani's already had problems with.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Man you didn't like the Limp Bizkit bit? That was one my favorite little things in the game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Is it not canon that Jedi have a hard time predicting their allies suddenly turning on them? See: Order 66, and a certain conversation in KOTOR 2.

Yoda saw it coming but he's a Jedi Master and Elassa here was an apprentice.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Xander77 posted:

What happens if you mess up the riddle section, assuming that's possible?

It's a Game Over as you're stuck in the box forever.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The first time I played I decided to be a virtuous Jedi and plead guilty. Up until the moment I got zapped and saw the game over screen, I assumed there'd be some kind of breakout mission.

Nope. Just a Game Over.

And it's not the only time the game kills you for being honest!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Utgardaloki posted:

Both claiming the Sith lured you and and claiming that you were there diplomatically or whatever have end states where you live. I'm actually not sure if you can flub the trial without admitting guilt. maybe I'll try that.

If you let the lawyer rep you, you're toast.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

the slow moving in the scuba suit lasts like five minutes, you big babies

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Also it's possible to vent the toxin and not get banned from the planet if you pick the right dialogue choices and blackmail the judges :hehe:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Doc M posted:

I stand corrected. That being said, venting the toxin is still dumb and counter-productive because why would you even risk losing the only reliable source of kolto in the galaxy?

If you're a dark side character, you're obviously planning to lead the Sith after Malak is disposed of. If you're going to lead the Sith, wouldn't you want your army to have easy access to kolto instead of having to buy it in limited amounts on the black market, for ten times the price? You're supposed to be evil, not stupid. Again, I know you're not aware of the actual consequences of the toxin beforehand, but you do get plenty of warning.

Besides, if you're a darksider, destroying the machinery will hurt the Republic as well while you don't suffer any consequences!

The game punishes you even more - if you vent the toxin, even if you don't get banned, prices of medpacs go way up.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

You can't get a Game Over but you can get banned from the planet, which can make your life more difficult depending on where you are in the game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Two more fun ways to get insta-killed in this chapter!

Touch that lightning? Total party kill!

Use a dialogue option that doesn't appear here because of the order in which you do things? INSTANT DEATH!!!

And yeah, money ceases to have meaning as soon as you come here. Drain your finances before coming here, people.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The dark side scene where you force persuade Zaalbar to kill MIssion is one of the darkest things I've ever seen in a game, even though it isn't graphic.

Slight correction: Zaalbar doesn't attack you there, but if you take him onto the Star Forge afterward he comes to his senses and attacks you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

KOTOR is still lots of fun to play through today...EXCEPT for the Star Forge, one of the worst final dungeons in history.

Even if you have a combat-focused build, the endless waves of enemies can wear you down. It's not fun.