Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SoundwaveAU posted:

It's literally impossible to lose to Deadeye Duncan without some form of mod or hack, right?

No, you can lose. Probably just by standing there and waiting. There's even dialogue for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I did it once. It involved a staggering number of grenades.

Not worth it, really.

Also just for fun count how many times Gadon reassures you that with the papers you don’t need the uniforms. I get it already, Gadon!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Night10194 posted:

Vader didn't need to be exploding Star Destroyers with his mind to seem like the scariest dude in the galaxy.

Vader's best depiction (IMO) as scariest dude in the galaxy was, what, a thirty second scene in Rogue One? Sometimes less is more!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaalbar: "You saved me! First, I will exposit on what a lifedebt is in case you don't live and breathe star wars. Then I will swear one to you, because you've got empty party member slots and that's how this works"

actually reading this stuff is a real experience, years after playing it the first time (where this all missed me) and then second (where I hammered skip through all dialogue anyway) ...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Everything I’m reading about Toughness suggests it’s the perfect Carth pick.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MightyPretenders posted:

Carth's attempts at "flirting" do not match up with his core character at all. Frankly, the only way I can make sense of it is the possibility that he's trying to annoy you so you'll stop asking questions.

It's entirely possible different people wrote different pieces of Carth's script. That's perhaps less of an in-universe explanation than you'd prefer but it's all I got :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

As far as I know that's correct, I don't see any failed dialogue for that check in the script I'm looking at. You can fail the persuade check to haggle from 2000 to 1500 but you can't fail the intimidate for free approach.

achtungnight posted:

Another fun update packed with exciting events and great dialogue. Especially liked the champion duel involving grenades.

Yeah! Grenading every duel is a time-honored KOTOR tradition, especially if you're trying to stay at level 2 the entire way through Taris.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"you had one job! just the one!"

anyway the scale of the Dantooine map really works against it. If these enclaves were scattered around an entire, actually full size planet, it'd make some sense but as it is you basically trip over all sorts of poo poo right out of the gate.

Which, you know, I'm willing to buy as a gameplay contrivance. Screenshots don't really sell this, but the amount of time you spend just walking from a to b on Taris is incredible. like I'm pretty sure it'd cut at least a literal, full hour - maybe more - off the clock if you had faster run speed.

so Dantooine being oddly compact is kind of goofy since a three minute walk takes you to every POI, including THE EVIL GROVE and all, but the alternative is worse.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Can't let you secretly go dark side if they're hovering around watching you!

the Dantooine enclave seems to be, hm, not exactly the varsity.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

Also Kaidan is Carth, they have the same voice actor and everything.

he's deliberately not. Carth is MY PAST TRAUMA ARGH whereas Kaidan is very specifically "I had some poo poo in my past, I dealt with it." It's the exact opposite.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

At this point it seems like it'd be easier to figure out how to transfer your xbox save to PC, edit it, and transfer it back

nobody will mind if you +5 your repair or whatever in the service of showing off more content because really, the PC having to do Literally Everything is pretty obnoxious. Other people have skills too, let them come poke and prod at the droid for fun, I'm sure HK would love it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It is a little BUT THOU MUST to pull Zaalbar out of your party and demand you handle someone else's problems, but on the other hand I love how nobody wants to talk to you and thinks you're probably awful like all the Czerka people but you still get a "find the missing wookiee" sidequest. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

achtungnight posted:

"Well, this may prove difficult."

The delivery on that one is perfect, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's been a long time since 2003 or whatever but I remember the twist catching a lot of people out (almost certainly including me) and a few internet smuggos being like "I saw it coming all along of course" and an actual honest contingent of people who did catch the context clues early enough to guess it.

I think it was also sort of helped that a lot of people weren't looking for one? It wasn't as expected then.

to bioware's credit I think they learned how to foreshadow even better in a future title but I'll leave it at that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That's the one, omobono.

Still, KOTOR's worked well enough. The idea that the Carth romance line would be a clue that got you to figure it out is hilarious to me for some reason. Bioware Romance giving away plot? Just hilarious.

I looked it up and the third line is "Hey, why are you getting so mad at me? It's not like this was my fault!" by the way. Which, in hindsight, well...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TitanG posted:

Probably wasn't tbfh. Nuking a planet "to prove his loyalty" sounds like something Malak would think up and Revan only heard of after the fact. Especially since it's made very clear he wanted to preserve the Republic's infrastructure as much as possible and not being a mouthbreathing idiot in general.

yes, I know. But take it one step back: who brought Malak into a position of power within the Sith and indoctrinated him with the Sith mindset (of betraying your master at the most convenient opportunity) that would directly lead to Malak having means, motive, and opportunity to bomb a planet into bits? Revan does not have direct responsibility, no, but some of the overarching blame for Malak, absolutely.

That line has some real double meaning and it seems intended. It's amusing.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 3, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Identical judges aside I think this bit works better than most now that I’m looking back on it. Casting the player in a defense attorney role where the job is to defend your client - one you know is guilty! - is a lot more interesting of a situation than the typical noble paladin / stupid evil that is LS/DS most times. It’s one of the few times you could have a nuanced take on what it means to be light/dark side in this title.

Of all the things that aged poorly in this game, I’m surprised to find I think this is the least bad so far!

But seriously, the identical models on the panel of judges. Ugh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Because overly simplified black and white good/evil doesn’t map to real world actions whatsoever, mostly. Not even here in a fictionalized, pretty simple setup.

Like I know Lucas intended it to be that simple: LS good, DS bad. And for three movies sure works great. For anything else and the cracks get huge.

Also, just here. is it good to knowingly perpetuate a lie and just tell yourself “for the greater good” ? That question is interesting. That question requires there be nuance to what “light side” means.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I get what you’re saying about the atmosphere here and I can see it but it’s utterly and completely sabotaged by the gameplay. It gets worse than just a slow moving enviro suit!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

uh excuse you the Star Wars Canon System didn't use numbers, it used letters

Wookieepedia's best article posted:

The Holocron's database included a field for a single letter (G, T, C, S, N or D) representing the level of canonicity of that element; these letters were since informally applied to the levels of canon themselves: G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, N-canon and D-canon. As part of his work with the Holocron, Chee was responsible for the creation of this classification system, and he spent the early stages developing and refining it. It was discontinued with the April 2014 reboot.

G, T, C and S together formed the overall Star Wars continuity. Each ascending level typically overrode the lower ones; for example, Boba Fett's backstory was radically altered with the release of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, forcing the retcon of older source material to fall in line with the new G-canon backstory. However, this was not always absolute, and the resolution of all contradictions was handled on a case-by-case basis.

because obviously GTCSND is the most logical, rational canon system :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ikanreed posted:

Manaan has 3 loving trial segments. And none of them are coded with the very reasonable judge behavior of "weren't you just in my court room?"

Yeeeeeeep. The copy-paste is strong with this trial system.

I think you can ignore one of them but two are plot-mandated, so that isn't even a reason to not have some form of reaction to why the same person keeps getting dragged into a room with 5 identical selkath.

the smallest silver lining, perhaps, is that they did learn from this. Bioware did a much more entertaining job with the "5 judges with varying opinions" bit in Jade Empire. Also better outcomes. Also John Cleese. Also only once. Really, improved in every way there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

Exactly. And yet, Mission thinks shes on this planet, with no visible Sith, instead of the star forge that's covered in them.

bit late here, but I don't read it like that at all. the dialogue choices let you pick 'fix ship' or 'save bastila' as what you're focusing on as a goal here - so your party brings up the other?

or probably more likely your party will bring up both no matter what you pick to remind the player of their current goals. This game ... doesn't really assume you're paying attention. Lots of NPC dialogue feels like hand holding.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gnome de plume posted:

And I distinctly remember from my male Guardian playthrough getting the "I love you" option to turn Bastila back despite not really going through the romance path? It just popped up I was like, Okay."

I think I remember reading about this. It's as if nobody thought "what if they play a male jedi and don't romance bastila?"

Anyway, thanks for seeing it through, Doc! It was fun to revisit when someone else had to actually play through all that booooooooooring endgame combat :D

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Doc M posted:

Speaking of which, I trimmed the gently caress out of those Star Forge combat sections for the sake of brevity. If you haven't played the game, imagine I put about 100 more combat screenshots in this update and you'll have a rough idea what it actually feels like to play through.

I took a quick look at the strategywiki walkthrough for this game (which is quite thorough with dialogue trees and everything) and if I'm counting this right, you fight 21 enemies on deck 1, 15 on deck 2, 12 more on the command deck, theoretically infinite droids (or you just bash/lockpick the door and ignore them all) Bastila and then Malak (potentially Malak x8 if you don't pop the stasis tubes)

so... that's a lot of enemies. Some of those counts are approximate; like 4 of the first enemies you fight at the start are the ones engaging your fellow Jedi, those you can fight or just let the Jedi handle. But still, it's just a nonstop stream of droids, turrets, dark jedi, sith troopers, you name it.

Also, on Manaan, when you asked about how Revan and Malak got down there? If you encounter Darth Bandon there, he ... well, this isn't technically an explanation, but:

quote:

Player: How did you get down here?

Darth Bandon: Do you think those Republic subs are the only way to reach the ocean floor? Malak and Revan found a way down here long before the Hrakert station was built. I acquired a ship and followed the same route Revan and my Master used on their own journey. Then it was simply a matter of waiting for you to return for the Star Map.

so there you go! Case closed.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Doc M posted:

:staredog:

:negative:

Welp, I should probably mention that in the update!

You should test it first, I'm just pulling that out of the strategyguide page I read through. But if it's true, lmao. And that site seems pretty on target overall.

Well, let me rephrase that. You uh, might want to but that'd involve star forge combat so maybe you shouldn't subject yourself to it again? :v: