Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I always thought the depiction of Kashyyk as a dense forest of crazy tall trees, with the Wookies living kilometres up high, and the dangerous ground lands was a neat one, and was disappointed when Episode 3 portrayed it as some sort of tropical beachy land.

You can argue it's a big planet though. Jedi Fallen Order seemed to have a pretty good amalgamation of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I read in another thread that Mass Effect was originally planned as KOTOR3, which I never knew but is fascinating to see some of those core ideas set up here. Particularly this idea shown in the last few updates of a pre-cursor race who populated the galaxy that our main civilisation inherits.

For the better I suppose. Fits much better in an original story rather than try to shoehorn into Star Wars. I'm suprised Lucas let Bioware create so much unique lore in the first place.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Been a long time since release, but I remember being pretty amazed at the reveal, which in hindsight seems sorta obvious - but you just didn't see lots of this sort of things in lots of games then, particularly on consoles. Deep and involved stories disappeared along with mid 90s PC adventure games, and most RPGs (that I was exposed to) were traditionally pretty badly written with lots of general Japanese tropes that were pretty alienating to western audiences.

I definitely knew something was up with Revan though, due to all the lore establishing him and what a great and powerful Sith he was and Malaks subsequent betrayal. I think I expected him to show up at some point as the bigger bad, once you defeated Malak.

It's been pretty fascinating looking at this game 17 years later through this thread highlighting much of the problematic dialog and spotty writing, as it really shows how far we've come in general game writing, even if the mechanics are largely the same.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
What a bizarre bug! I love weird ones like those. Pretty sure I never came across that one, as I certainly would remember it.

It reads like some weird fever dream where the environment and people you've been interacting with are familiar, yet strangely wrong, with stranger droids hanging all around the place.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Awesome LP. That was a trip revisiting a game I haven't played since I was a teenager but have very find memories of. Thanks Doc.

The final Star Forge battle sticks in my mind from just the endless waves of enemies. I remember having to constantly cheese it and continually reload saves. From memory I gave up for a few weeks and had to come back to it later, it was that frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Frobozz posted:

A lot of people rag on the game for clunky dialogue - and they are not wrong.

I was simply astonished at the amount of spelling errors and repeated typos throughout the script. With the level of quality control that goes over a game like this nowadays, it's really weird to see