Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

achtungnight posted:

There’s also a Jedi version of the force continuum taught in most police academies around the world, I think. If somebody is threatening you or your friend, you can use the Force or a lightsaber to get them to stop, depending on the severity of the threat. In Episode 4, Luke is attacked by Sandpeople. Obi-Wan uses the Force to imitate a Krayt Dragon and scares them off. Later, two stormtroopers threaten them and Force Persuade solves matters. Still later, two criminals attack Luke in the cantina. Talking them down doesn’t work, so out comes the lightsaber.

Apparently (Episode 6), Force Choking enemy guards unconscious is also ok for a Light Side Jedi sneaking into an enemy base. Yes, I know he could have choked them dead, but the scene is unclear so I’m choosing to believe the lesser of two evils. Later Luke tells Jabba and all his minions to let his friends go or die with lethal results. This may be similar to police saying ‘stop or I’ll shoot.’ Clearly there wasn’t any other way to stop Jabba from killing them, so Jabba had to die. Later with the Ewoks, Luke’s party is again about to be killed, but Force magic without any dangerous components (as long as he didn’t drop Threepio!) was enough to make peace. Still later Luke battles a pair of Sith Lords and rather than attack immediately or kill them, he stays calm as he can throughout the encounter and ends up turning one of them back to the Light.

There are ways to get the Force Continuum wrong though. One could argue that Anakin in Episode 3 attacked and struck down Mace Windu to apparently protect a defenseless wounded old man (Palpatine). Under the Sith Lord’s influence after that he goes right to slaughtering all the “evil Jedi”, younglings included. :( Of course we all know he already had major anger issues.

one of my favorite bits of nerds throwing together retroactive justifications for someone else's half-assed work is in one of the old Star Wars RPGs. eventually they came out with character sheets for the canon characters, because of course.

there is a mechanic in the game for force users called Dark Side Points. when you hit six dark side points, that's it, you hand your character sheet to the DM, you're an antagonist now.

at the conclusion of the events of jabba's palace, Luke Skywalker is sitting comfortably at 5, because the poo poo he got up to in there was not so much "flirting with the dark side" as it was "getting to third base with the dark side on the second date."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Sunry's trial is probably my favorite side quest in the entire game because of what we've just seen. An actual moral dilemma and not just the choice between kicking the stray puppy and finding it a loving owner.

Kind of surprised you're choosing to finish it before knocking over the sith base given our anonymous informant suggested we hit both.

Bioware reused things a lot, and Sunry's trial is a redo of one of the only subplots in the first Neverwinter Nights that was any good; the trial of a random soldier. complete with "if you don't grab this detail the case is very simple, and also you'll be completely wrong."

they honestly do a better job with it in this one than they do in NWN2, because in NWN2 while the trial is much more involved and ornate, the entire thing is on rails to the only conclusion that moves the plot forward. in this one, you're free to fail.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I'm racking my brain to remember the trial in nwn1. 2's was memorable, but if 1 had one it was deep in some side quests

it was a sidequest nexus in, i want to say act 3?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

It's more the way dark side is basically just being a petty trigger-happy loon even when it does not benefit you whatsoever. The Closed Fist had the same issue in Jade Empire, where on paper it's mean to be the "Pull yourself by the bootstraps/teach people to be self-reliant instead of saving them all the time' philosophy, but in practice it's literally the puppy kicking side.

Renegade Shep had some where it's not "Making hard choices" it's half the time "throwing a tantrum for no good reason"

Paragon/Renegade was a good way to try to work around the problems with light side/dark side points, because you get yourself out of a lot of writing snarls caused by "so, uh, how many Good or Evil points is this dialogue option worth"

unfortunately the fact that writers weren't always on the same page regarding what those subjects meant resulted in fun conversations like the following:

"Hi Commander, can we have your endorsement?"
RENEGADE: "gently caress off, civilians, what makes you think you can talk to me."
"we're incredibly racist"
RENEGADE: "you now have my full and unconditional support"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the Bastila's Evil Now sequence is a little funky, mostly because it's copy/pasted over from the original Neverwinter Nights, where the local Bastila-analogue actually had a pretty good reason to despair and lose faith in what she believed, and in so doing decide "no, actually, justice says that you all have it coming." the showdown with Aribeth has -much- worse voice acting, but the plot has given a lot of weight to her doubts and her fall, and so when you finally square off against her as a fallen paladin it has some narrative weight.

in the name of making that sequence happen here, they have to handwave Malak as being able to zap "you think being evil is cool now" directly into Bastila alongside several lightning burns, and so Bastila comes off as having the willpower of a tube worm for being both instantly converted to the Dark Side and then instantly converted back to the Light.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
incidentally: don't play the original neverwinter nights, it is extremely not worth playing, and that point is probably the single thing it does well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I wouldn't even say anything about Aribeth was well done, but that may be because I was so loving sick of the Original Neverwinter Nights campaign that I came to hate every single thing it does by the time I finished it.

honestly that's half the reason it ends up working okay; aribeth's fall takes two agonizingly long acts to happen, and then it's two more agonizingly long acts before you fight her. as opposed to "malak has captured bastila, sure hope he doesn't turn her evil offscreen" *series of fights with weird frog people* "ah hell, malak turned her evil offscreen. hey bastila can you stop being evil. thanks"