Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/1211037303487029248

DIRTY rear end SAINTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
jerome booger retire bitch

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Yeah watching them win because they nearly killed a man on the field before his knee touched the ground really made me not want to watch football anymore last weekend.

Watching the refs hum and haw about where this probably unconscious man's knees were when he let go of the ball was loving surreal.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

sharknado slashfic posted:

Phone, Ravens and Peters 3 year extension

3 years 42 mill, a ton of it guaranteed which who gives a poo poo its someone elses money. basically the same aav as jimmy smith, is through most of peters prime years and ends when lamar will no longer be on his cheap as gently caress rookie deal. seems like a good deal

Kawalimus posted:

Awesome. Now let's work on bolstering the front 7.

He's now a claimed Raven.

i will settle for them keeping judon and pierce, judon preferably if we can only have one. Pierce giving them the ability to be exceptionally heavy in base nickle sets and impossible to run on in them has been very important for the team, but judon is the only pass rusher and can play every snap so

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Phone, Ravens and Peters 3 year extension

I always got jealous watching him play in KC, then suddenly he's on the Ravens for a year, fits perfectly and gets extended, that's crazy and good (much like Marcus Peters)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm curious about how much money will Ronnie Stanley get when his current deal expires because it's probably going to be close to a billion dollars

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ghost Dog posted:

3 years 42 mill, a ton of it guaranteed which who gives a poo poo its someone elses money. basically the same aav as jimmy smith, is through most of peters prime years and ends when lamar will no longer be on his cheap as gently caress rookie deal. seems like a good deal

i will settle for them keeping judon and pierce, judon preferably if we can only have one. Pierce giving them the ability to be exceptionally heavy in base nickle sets and impossible to run on in them has been very important for the team, but judon is the only pass rusher and can play every snap so

It'd be nice if we could keep Judon. But also we need someone else who can rush the passer at some position on that front seven. Really too bad McPhee got hurt. I just want to see us be more reliable to shut down the run like we usually are. We did much better on Chubb the second time around.

On offense we need another receiver who is good at getting open and making catches. Preferably a wideout.

We need to go all in these next few seasons and try to win Superbowls while Lamar Jackson is still on that rookie contract. I was thinking about that too. It'll be like the 2001 season the Ravens had but hopefully with fewer Jamal Lewis situations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

I always got jealous watching him play in KC, then suddenly he's on the Ravens for a year, fits perfectly and gets extended, that's crazy and good (much like Marcus Peters)

The lowkey most important part of this is that my av will remain relevant

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Tanking is dumb and an unproven method of team building in the NFL. Actually build your team instead of sticking you #1 overall on a stripped roster and expecting him to save you.

Tanking isn’t a rebuild tho sometimes you gotta establish that culture then go after your key players

How Cleveland rebuilt is a tank. Their head coach was an afterthought and it shows.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

and then Luck died because they tanked. The reason they tanked retired in his prime. That's a failure.

They failed here because they simply refused to understand how important it is to protect your qb. But otherwise it absolutely did - they picked great great defenders and were a constant playoff threat

You’re exactly right - you can’t rely on just a QB or a HC, but you need them both at some level.

Cleveland trading away so many picks shows me they’re not doing it right.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I think tanking is foolish. I've said in the past that if I were in charge of a team I'd tank every year till I found that QB. But I know now that is a bad idea. And why are players and coaches going to go along with it? They're not going to be there for the successful period. So what do they get out of doing it? And it just puts that stench on them of being associated with those historically bad teams. Look at Cam Cameron nobody and I mean nobody ever thought about hiring him again after that 2007 season with the Dolphins. So you want to develop the talent you have. And build on top of that. And you don't need high picks to build a great team or even get a QB. Look at the Ravens. Lamar Jackson was the 32nd pick. But not just him. Guys like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis were picked in the 20s.

And even if you don't get that high pick? You can find your QB elsewhere. Look at the Saints grabbing Drew Brees. Or the Titans now who have Tannehill. You want to acquire and develop good players cause there's 22 starters on offense and defense. And if you focus your team on just getting that one QB, you can end up in situations where you can't protect him. Like what happened to Luck and also remember David Carr from Houston taking so many sacks on that expansion team. You don't want that. And sometimes even while guys are top picks and great talents, not all of even those guys are going to come in and magically elevate a team. Who knows how many potential talents flamed out because of going into a mess of a situation. That's what you have to avoid. And the kind of situation that tanking is more likely to put you in.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
tl;dr

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

tanking is a more viable strategy than it has ever been cause of the cap rollover meaning you can push forward a ton of cap and then load your team up via free agency

of course that only works for so long and generally the way you end up being a contender is if you have a good amount of people outperforming their contracts, and the only guys that really do that outside of a few exceptions are rookie deal players.

so basically: If i were the cleveland browns, i would simply draft better players

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Kawalimus just because you go 0-16 doesn’t mean you’re tanking

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Kawalimus just because you go 0-16 doesn’t mean you’re tanking

I know that. That's why I doubt how many teams are actually doing it.

And even with free agency signings those aren't guaranteed to actually lift your team even if these players were good elsewhere. To me it makes the most sense to build offensive lines from free agency if you need to.

With Lamar Jackson now the Ravens can go from looking for those key players to building around a player they already have. And that is an advantageous position to be in. Like we used to be on defense when we had guys like Lewis, Reed, Suggs and Ngata. We could just build on top of them.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1211075554465726464

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42iiCcFbxE

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

I know that. That's why I doubt how many teams are actually doing it.

And even with free agency signings those aren't guaranteed to actually lift your team even if these players were good elsewhere. To me it makes the most sense to build offensive lines from free agency if you need to.

With Lamar Jackson now the Ravens can go from looking for those key players to building around a player they already have. And that is an advantageous position to be in. Like we used to be on defense when we had guys like Lewis, Reed, Suggs and Ngata. We could just build on top of them.

I’m so lost as to what was the original point

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's your own fault for reading a Kawalimus post IMO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Lions are cursed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’m so lost as to what was the original point

Well, you see, the Ravens once signed Shannon Sharpe, which gave the Ravens a +6.25 advantage in Number of Games Played by a Skill Position Player born in June over the Redskins in the Kawalimus Player Ranking System (Abridged 2019 Version 2.7 Mark IV*), but this doesn't counteract the -42% penalty the system placed on signing Trent Dilfer, or the -14% penalty for signing Elvis Grbac on a Wednesday as a opposed to a Tuesday (Which would have created a +3% bonus) or a date that was evenly divisible by 3 (+4.7666%), so this caused the modifier for the Ravens signing offensive linemen to switch from a +12.4 raw point bonus to a -1/3rd (Capped at 21 points per the Expanded 2006 Rules, Version 16.2, Steve McNair Special Edition), but they still gain a bonus of for each lineman signed as a free agent that didn't previously play against Washington or Pittsburgh for more than a combined 30 minutes of game clock time (Assuming the player was not signed within 72 hours of a Waxing Gibbous moon, of course), which allows the Ravens to actually gain a both a a flat +3.327 advantage in Contracts (Plus the .07245 Ozzie Newsome modifier) and a handy .02% bonus in NoGPbSKPPbiJ over Washington, a .05% advantage over the Steelers, and an additional .06736% per player over the Bengals, which is a cornerstone of the overall Kawalimus Franchise Ranking System (2014 Rules, Ed Reed Turbo Edition), and is the 13th tiebreaker in said system, and that obviously matters because the 14th involves league rankings in points scored, and the 12th tiebreaker is the number of players whose last names begin with a vowel but contained an even number of letters that is divisible by 2 or 3, and the enemies of Ravens football had a cumulative advantage there in even numbered years (Excluding years ending in zero, in which case it's names that end with a vowel, and a quadruple word score bonus [Up to 35%] if the name begins & ends with a vowel), so the Ravens are then penalized for drafting offensive linemen (Unless the player was picked with an overall pick that is a Prime number, then you convert it to a percentage bonus) and it makes building the offensive line through free agency more valuable because it won't hurt the defensive back scale, which is heavily skewed by both the inverse draft position, the color of the last bird that Kawalimus saw in it's nest (See appendix 4, paragraph 19), and the ambient temperature in Cleveland in Kelvin exactly 36 hours after the player was signed.

C'mon, it's Kawalimus. We should all know this already.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fartknocker posted:

Well, you see, the Ravens once signed Shannon Sharpe, which gave the Ravens a +6.25 advantage in Number of Games Played by a Skill Position Player born in June over the Redskins in the Kawalimus Player Ranking System (Abridged 2019 Version 2.7 Mark IV*), but this doesn't counteract the -42% penalty the system placed on signing Trent Dilfer, or the -14% penalty for signing Elvis Grbac on a Wednesday as a opposed to a Tuesday (Which would have created a +3% bonus) or a date that was evenly divisible by 3 (+4.7666%), so this caused the modifier for the Ravens signing offensive linemen to switch from a +12.4 raw point bonus to a -1/3rd (Capped at 21 points per the Expanded 2006 Rules, Version 16.2, Steve McNair Special Edition), but they still gain a bonus of for each lineman signed as a free agent that didn't previously play against Washington or Pittsburgh for more than a combined 30 minutes of game clock time (Assuming the player was not signed within 72 hours of a Waxing Gibbous moon, of course), which allows the Ravens to actually gain a both a a flat +3.327 advantage in Contracts (Plus the .07245 Ozzie Newsome modifier) and a handy .02% bonus in NoGPbSKPPbiJ over Washington, a .05% advantage over the Steelers, and an additional .06736% per player over the Bengals, which is a cornerstone of the overall Kawalimus Franchise Ranking System (2014 Rules, Ed Reed Turbo Edition), and is the 13th tiebreaker in said system, and that obviously matters because the 14th involves league rankings in points scored, and the 12th tiebreaker is the number of players whose last names begin with a vowel but contained an even number of letters that is divisible by 2 or 3, and the enemies of Ravens football had a cumulative advantage there in even numbered years (Excluding years ending in zero, in which case it's names that end with a vowel, and a quadruple word score bonus [Up to 35%] if the name begins & ends with a vowel), so the Ravens are then penalized for drafting offensive linemen (Unless the player was picked with an overall pick that is a Prime number, then you convert it to a percentage bonus) and it makes building the offensive line through free agency more valuable because it won't hurt the defensive back scale, which is heavily skewed by both the inverse draft position, the color of the last bird that Kawalimus saw in it's nest (See appendix 4, paragraph 19), and the ambient temperature in Cleveland in Kelvin exactly 36 hours after the player was signed.

:hmmyes:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fartknocker posted:

Spot on.

Kawalimus makes me root for the Redskins.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Jesus. This is like "Scott Steiner Math" on steroids! You're forgetting the 2000-2003 quotient though. Also the Rarity-to-win conversion rate which played a big role in the 2012 SB win.

And I think my point was just that there are other players you can build around than just some fabled #1 draft pick savior person. And that throwing your whole team under the bus in a tank is just going to put you in a position where you might risk wasting that potential savior anyway. And if you're that bad you don't have anything worth building on? Well you don't have to worry about tanking you'll just be bad without trying :)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If I wanted the number 1 pick I would simply put all my good players on IR for one season

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Chichevache posted:

Kawalimus makes me root for the Redskins.

:same:

But Ravens are fun to watch finally though

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

If I wanted the number 1 pick I would simply put all my good players on IR for one season

Then the problem is if you're not trying you might miss the development of other players who turn out to be good. Look at a guy like Mark Andrews on the Ravens. Nobody figured he'd become one of the better TEs in the NFL. But it happened. So it's important to keep trying to win games and then find out who is helping you toward that. And it's just not fair to put those great players on the shelf like that. You're robbing those players, the players who might be helped to develop by playing alongside them, and also the fans. It's a cheap move.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Jesus. This is like "Scott Steiner Math" on steroids! You're forgetting the 2000-2003 quotient though. Also the Rarity-to-win conversion rate which played a big role in the 2012 SB win.

Lmfao

E:

Kawalimus posted:

. Look at a guy like Mark Andrews on the Ravens. Nobody figured he'd become one of the better TEs in the NFL. But it happened.

YOU WILL NOT ERASE ME FROM THIS WORLD

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
im happy lamar jackson has allowed poorly appreciated players from other worse teams to shine. we are the true home for mark ingram

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

YOU WILL NOT ERASE ME FROM THIS WORLD

I was speaking figuratively but I'll give you credit if you said he would! He was drafted on the first day so someone saw something in him :) And I'm sure others did too. You deserve credit if you were high on him.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

A big flaming stink posted:

im happy lamar jackson has allowed poorly appreciated players from other worse teams to shine. we are the true home for mark ingram

We loving appreciated him :mad:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Metapod was in on Andrews way early

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kawalimus posted:

Now add Kurt Angle to the mix.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.

GD_American posted:

We loving appreciated him :mad:

We sure loving did.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:
Bruce Allen out as Washington DC's GM.

Views:
:byewhore:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

A big flaming stink posted:

What the hell is this poo poo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Doesn't matter what happens in Washington while Snyder is in charge. He's unlikely to find someone good, and if he does he'll drive them out.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I will shout this into the void again but Kawa doesn't understand football and doesn't care to, he just likes to talk about it on a forum. He cannot make "I don't understand football and don't care to" more obvious than the posts where he says it. You keep arguing with him when he doesn't care. He just wants to post, occasionally about birds. You want to argue facts and stats, bring Jeffersonlives back.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s time. Free PopDog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

kawalimus owns tbh