Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! It's time for the 2020 resolution thread.

Post your resolutions for 2020, big and small. Things you want to do, plan to improve, or just like doing can all go here.

In January I'll hide this thread in the vaults, and a year from now I'll bring it out to see how we did and what unexpected paths our lives took. (This is just for fun, so no pressure.)

If you made a resolution last year, that thread is back! Click here to make your wildest 2019 dreams come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
TG-related:
  • Publish at least 6 of the following games:
    1. FLEET (maybe for Zine Quest 2, who knows (I guess I will when this thread's brought back in late 2020))
    2. After Kaiju
    3. The Rapparee is Dead
    4. The Eldritch Ecstasies of Detective Dog
    5. Koriomargin
    6. Twilight Song
    7. Drowns the Sky
    8. as-yet untitled Mushishi-inspired project
    9. as-yet untitled Subnautica-inspired project
    10. The Cromlech Archives v2
    11. Glister
    12. SONAR GHOSTS full version and two variants:
      • as-yet untitled British rural supernatural mystery/police procedural project
      • as-yet untitled US national park supernatural horror park ranger project
    13. a business card game collection
    14. Gods of the Black Engines
  • Get a Patreon up and running with regular TG content
  • Actually finish a playtest of After Kaiju
  • Play at least 6 of the following games in PbP:
    1. Metrofinal
    2. Life on Mars
    3. Left Coast
    4. Archives of the Sky
    5. Enticement
    6. Dialect
    7. Gazetteer
    8. Kubrick
    9. Rusalka
    10. The Lodger
    11. The Imp of the Perverse
    12. Everyone is John
    13. House of Reeds
    14. Lacuna
  • Go to a TG con

And now some non-TG-related:
  • Get back into sound design
  • Don't work for bad venues
  • Keep working for good venues
  • Work less at venues

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Make and publish some sort of RPG game in basically any capacity. It'd be nice to have under my belt.

Also, play a game of Lancer, move out and finish 2000 points of Idoneth Deepkin for Age of Sigmar.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Honestly, I want to try and get all three of the Sword World 2.0 revised core rulebooks translated and formatted into a pdf (or even multiple pdfs), to be released in a playable state. The Fandom wiki is nice to have (even if it's gone down the shitter when it stopped being Wikia), but I'd at least like it personally if there was a bookmarked pdf I could distribute to possible players instead of having to constantly click between multiple pages of a wiki.

Any of the supplements would be gravy after all that, but one thing at a time (which, right now, is the second core book).

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Tradgames-based:
  1. Run the weird LARP/ARG hybrid I wrote based on “A Night in the Lonesome October”, because I can only really run it this year, or wait twenty-ish years to run it.
  2. Sell more miniature sculpts.
  3. Run a game. Any game.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

paint more than i buy

edit: yknow what im gonna get my group to play something other than d&d

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 24, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Make that Person of Interest/Mr. Robot/watch_dogs RPG I've talked about making.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The same thing I resolve every year Pinky: finish three pet projects.

Also get back to the gym once my back stops hurting.

E: gently caress it, 2020 is the year I actually learn to play Go. Not necessarily well, just to play it.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 30, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My usual two:
Do more cool things. Be nicer to myself.

Specifics:

Maintain a schedule of at least two days' exercise per week in addition to walking to work, preferably three.
Keep portion sizes lower, keep eating healthier.

TG related:

Play something that's not D&D, RPGs-wise.
Run Planet Mercenary at some point.
Do more mini painting.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Finish one of the many many games I have partially completed.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Kickstart something for zine quest

Write a groundbreaking treatise on game design that changes how everyone thinks about the topic in order to claim my position as tabletop’s Antonin Artaud

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
TG:
Run my Wizard of Oz 2019 (under the rule of the Nome King) setting.
Run my 1930s Pulp Theah (7th Sea) setting.
Run the new Aliens RPG

Non-TG:
Get at least three more novels published.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
A whole bunch of things that I'm sure I'll fail at by the end of next year but gently caress it:

• Make a serious effort to grind for competition-level miniature painting. Won a bunch of awards back in September, but I know I can do better.
  • Get through the huge backlog of models I got. It's honestly embarrassing.
  • Run and/or play in an RPG. Even a one-shot would be fine. I'm up to my eyeballs in books. Getting people to not just want to play D&D is the tough part.
  • Enjoy more board games! I feel like I haven't been playing many new ones the past few months, or not playing older ones in a long while.
  • Also, actually play a miniature game more than once a year. Haven't even touched KoW or Malifaux in forever and I live 10 minutes away from an LGS.
  • S L E E P

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Trying for some of the things I failed at last year

1 - Lose some weight. FFS this can´t be that hard!
2 - Finish and publish my first p&p game
3 - Revitalize my blog with a tried and true old scheme
4 - Get my first book to an editor
5 - Start writing my second book
6 - Finally get over my crush...

Bonus round - Don´t be SO-less by Christmas 2020 (yikes..)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

1. Another attempt at losing weight and hitting my goal this year!
2. Learn to drive, I've been putting it off far too long.
3. Continue tracking my purchasing and painting and hopefully have a better balance than 2019!
4. Finish painting my GSC.
5. Finish painting my Waaagh Demons.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
1. Play/Run a tabletop game.
2. Complete and release a tabletop game or hack.
3. Get back into Game Maker work.
4. Keep and/or improve up my exercise routine.
5. Get back into video making, learn some editing technique.
6. Play the board games I have more than I buy new ones.
7. Learn music creation, in instrument form or otherwise.
8. Practice drawing again.
9. Be nicer to myself and others.

A lot more than last year, but I'm feeling much better than I was then. Let's see how it goes, shall we? :v:

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

1) Run a LANCER campaign
2) Build my currently unbuilt Malifaux boxes.
3) Paint the Mali crews I actually play.
4) Play more Faux.
5) Bash more fash

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

1) Make fewer fomo driven mini purchases
2) Related to 1, reduce the size of my painting backlog

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
do more game

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Paint between 12 and 52 figures, at least. I didn't manage this in 2019, so here's hoping for 2020.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Publish LIFTS vol. 2

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Finish repainting my DBA 100YW armies.

Bring 2 of my partially completed PbtA hacks to a playable state.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Actually publish the backlog of larps I have sitting around.
Run some tabletop. Any Tabletop.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Didn't make one last year because my life was real messy at that point.

But this year's gonna be better, so...

1) I will not miss my scheduled weekly 2 hour discord game session with my friends except for emergencies, not will I suggest cancelling rather than rescheduling if someone else can't make it.

2) I will run World Wide Wrestling like I've been promising to do for 18 months.

3) I will not slack off like I did last year on assisting a friend with their games in the classroom project.

4) I will complete my small tabletop roleplaying game and put it up on DTRPG or something for a small amount of money.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

1) Paint up my long-neglected retro-Tyranids for 40k and Goblins for WHFB.

2) Go down a shirt size.

3) Learn and run one of these cool PbtA games I've picked up.

4) Be less openly hateful of Luke Crane's forced eccentricities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

1. DO NOT GIVE CATALYST GAME LABS ANY MONEY THIS YEAR (OR EVER).

2. 'Zinequest. Do it.

3. Run more tabletop in person. I know I have friends who will play.

4. Paint up some Imperial Guard.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

1. Finish the tarot-based RPG I started working on in the fall.

2. Maybe figure out how to actually sell that poo poo.

3. Actually play in more than one session of a game with my friends. Maybe even run one. (I'm gonna have to run one.)

4. Start actually writing my novel instead of pussyfooting around with unlinked short stories.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 2, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

1. Reduce my board game collection to 200 games not counting expansions. Currently: 372

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to find a good role-playing group (i.e., not "D&D for beginners"). I'm tired of GMing.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I finished putting together my first book. It's Changeling 20th, printed off the pdf and assembled by hand with a hardcover, stitched together and glued up. I started that project because I bought the print on demand version for over $100 and was pissed at the poo poo quality of the product. What I made was definitely far more resilient but had a ton of little flaws that added up. That said, I learned a lot by building my own, which led into my resolutions:

1. Build a full set of the current 5 World of Darkness 20th Anniversary books, don't worry about using low-quality materials including black and white printing. Learn how to do it better each time.
2. Get a color laser printer for higher quality versions of these books.
3. Research and learn leatherworking for the book covers, and make them spectacular.
4. Be on my way to assembling a high-quality version of these books and other RPG titles that have lovely build quality. I don't know if this will be realistic this year with the first steps I'm working on right now. But I want to do this as a long-term hobby.
*. Start repairing some of my older books that are in poor shape.

Since I found a gaming group, these books have been in demand, but no one's had the money to splurge for the books themselves, just the pdfs. Now that I have one of the books, I'm glad we haven't thrown a shitload of money at that bullshit. I mean, it's something you have to see to believe how awful it is for the money spent.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

1. My biggest resolution is that I want to be proud of at least one session I run this year. I always feel like I'm doing a subpar job despite my players saying the opposite. So I'll consider this one done when I finally live up to my expectations.

2. Run a game for a convention. I've played with this idea a few times in the past but I think I actually want to do it this year. I'm absolutely terrified (see #1).

3. Join a IRL group. I'm thankful for my online game but it'd be nice to play in person.

4. Work on a TTRPG project. Make some art for my player or produce a radio play for my campaign (we don't need anymore but I like getting the sound design practice). This goes all the way to creating my own game. Or working on one.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I found a space Powered By the Apoc game. Wanna play it for the queer groups on campus, if I can find time.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
All right, let's see how many I can get done this year.

1. Publish another book. This is gonna keep going on the list until it happens.
2. Get some meds which do more to keep me out of the big hollow pit of despair I seem to crash into every other week.
3. Finish at least five unfinished elfgames side projects. Anything from wiki content to sellable material.
4. Run another PbP.
5. Lose some weight and get in better shape.
6. Survive Brexit and the Tory shitshow.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Had a good year last year.

1. Play through Gloomhaven completely.
2. Play all the RPGs I have on the shelf before buying more
3. Get back to monday to friday work. It's better on kids
4. Loss the remaining 20kg til my goal weight. 13 last year was a good try but I can do better.
5. Save enough for a holiday amwithout neutering house deposit money
6. A stretch, but buy a house

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
1. Enjoy the games I have rather than falling for the siren song of the new box smell
2. Wrangle my ADD a bit and write some ttrpgs I've had knocking around in my head for months
3. Get a consistent RPG group going. Subbing in as a GM for my friend's group until April but after that I'm gonna be out on my arse again
4. Incorporate consistent exercise into my schedule. Even just so I don't get out of breath all the time
5. Call home more

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright folks! This has been up long enough, so this is a heads-up that this thread goes away in twenty four hours!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread is BACK so people can review their resolutions and stuff. Woo!

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Last year, pledged to build homemade versions of Vampire, Mage, Changeling, and Werewolf 20th Anniversary Editions books because the DTRPG versions are cheaply bound and the Kickstarter versions are not available. I did fulfill that pledge, and also did a lighter-weight, softcover of Mage 20th that's held up very well over the past nine months since I bound it. These aren't simply print, punch holes and toss them into a 3-ring binder; they're actual books. I ended up giving them to my game group because they loved them so much and they need something that'll hold up under a lot of use.

I don't know what I'll do this year. I've got a lot on my plate which includes moving myself and my girlfriend across country towards the end of this year as long as the covid vaccines become available and we can both get them, and we can't relocate because one of our potential roommates is immune compromised and I won't risk someone else's health. That all aside, I've been thinking about building a gaming table, maybe even something I can break down easily enough to move with us. Don't know yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Didn't make one last year because my life was real messy at that point.

But this year's gonna be better, so...

1) I will not miss my scheduled weekly 2 hour discord game session with my friends except for emergencies, not will I suggest cancelling rather than rescheduling if someone else can't make it.

2) I will run World Wide Wrestling like I've been promising to do for 18 months.

3) I will not slack off like I did last year on assisting a friend with their games in the classroom project.

4) I will complete my small tabletop roleplaying game and put it up on DTRPG or something for a small amount of money.

1) Yes, played just about every week and even joined some more groups.

2) Yes, and it was more awesome than I thought it would be.

3) Yes, and they're doing really well.

4) Yes, and it was fun to do and I learned a bunch of stuff and now I'll probably be able to finish the much larger, more ambitious game I had in mind when I wrote this down.