Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

MorrisBae posted:

It sounded like Howard owed Arno somewhere around $100,000

Arno lent him the money to import the magical opal; so yes, 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Capntastic posted:

Arno lent him the money to import the magical opal; so yes, 100k.

I didn't even make that connection

:psyduck:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I just saw this movie, it's really good and Adam Sandler is acting really well and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

He's routinely great in other people's stuff (Punch Drunk Love, Meyerowitz Stories, Funny People), he's usually only lazy in his own productions.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah if anyone wants more Sandler master class anxiety bomb material Punch-Drunk Love is one of my favorite movies of all time

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah if anyone wants more Sandler master class anxiety bomb material Punch-Drunk Love is one of my favorite movies of all time

It is so loving good.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I'm wondering if this and Punch Drunk Love will eventually form an unofficial trilogy of when he tried to act on whatever. Or would the third movie be Funny People? I haven't seen it.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

I'm wondering if this and Punch Drunk Love will eventually form an unofficial trilogy of when he tried to act on whatever. Or would the third movie be Funny People? I haven't seen it.

Funny People isn't bad but its also definitely not on the level of PDL or UG

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

net cafe scandal posted:

Also one of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans best performances as an added reason to watch

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Also one of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans best performances as an added reason to watch

the scene where Sandler confronts him with the phone in his hand is one of my all time favorites, goddamn

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

AvesPKS posted:

Reign Over Me and Id even say Big Daddy are good examples of him really "acting". Big Daddys a bit more elevated than his other comedic efforts even if its still most definitely Sandler doing his thing.

Edit: Wedding Singer on the same level of Big Daddy as well

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

This movie was very good, but I did not enjoy it at all. Whoever described it as a 2 hour panic attack was exactly right. It really triggered my anxiety.

The Q&A with Jason Bateman was funny.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Meyerowitz Stories is also some great Sandler serious-acting and it’s on netflix

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Starks posted:

The Meyerowitz Stories is also some great Sandler serious-acting and it’s on netflix

If I were Adam Sandler I’d be really annoyed with the media at this point, given that he now has over a decade of history doing well in serious dramatic roles and yet every time he pulls it off people still act like it’s an amazing novelty.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ogmius815 posted:

If I were Adam Sandler I’d be really annoyed with the media at this point, given that he now has over a decade of history doing well in serious dramatic roles and yet every time he pulls it off people still act like it’s an amazing novelty.

I mean he quickly resets his positive reputation every time by making something like Jack and Jill.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I’m gonna fail to feel much pity for a dude who once made a movie about how cool statutory rape is.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I’m gonna fail to feel much pity for a dude who once made a movie about how cool statutory rape is.

what? did I miss a key scene in billy madison? or is this some character backstory I wasn't aware of from Longest Yard?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

what? did I miss a key scene in billy madison? or is this some character backstory I wasn't aware of from Longest Yard?

That's My Boy with Andy Samberg.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's My Boy with Andy Samberg.

Ah. I missed that one, with I'm guessing most of America. Didn't realize he wrote that turd. Every interview with Sandler I've seen lately makes him seem like an actual genuine, nice person.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

almost three weeks after watching this movie and I still keep thinking about it. it's ruined movies for me, everything seems so tame or boring in comparison

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wouldnt go that far....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Chadzok posted:

almost three weeks after watching this movie and I still keep thinking about it. it's ruined movies for me, everything seems so tame or boring in comparison

You should watch Salo and give your brain a hard reset then.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m assuming it’s a forgone conclusion they’ll do a movie with Nicholas Cage now. I can’t wait.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m assuming it’s a forgone conclusion they’ll do a movie with Nicholas Cage now. I can’t wait.

Don't remember which one, but he was definitely seen at an awards show red carpet talking to the Safdies and doing the "call me" hand gesture as he walked away.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yep that’s what I was referring to. Might take a while, but they’ll get there.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’d like to see them remake an existing Cage movie with him. Like imagine if the Safdies directed Knowing or The Wicker Man or Rage, they could take the framework and remake it as something genuinely great.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’d like to see them remake an existing Cage movie with him. Like imagine if the Safdies directed Knowing or The Wicker Man or Rage, they could take the framework and remake it as something genuinely great.

what if the safdies directed a movie about the factionalized remake of Adaptation with Nicholas Cage and Charlie Kaufman playing themselves

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Best Nic Cage remake would be Snake Eyes.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Just bumping this to say it looks like the movie is finally available for rental if anybody hasn’t seen it yet — I got it off Redbox last night, and oh lord, did it ever live up to the hype. One of my new favorites for sure.

Oddly, I find myself wanting to screen this for friends as a double feature with, like, Children of Men. Maybe because the stuck-buzzer sequence and the single-shot car chase in CoM have similar levels of tension.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched it last night and I'm really kicking myself for listening to the Chapo interview because I don't follow NBA and would have genuinely not known how the game ended.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched it last night and I'm really kicking myself for listening to the Chapo interview because I don't follow NBA and would have genuinely not known how the game ended.

I feel like that entire episode would’ve been gibberish to someone who hadn’t watched the movie anyway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There were things I didn't understand, but I figured I'd get the context once I saw the movie. I listened to it on a long drive for work and wasn't able to find pull up some other podcast or music on my phone.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

They should scrap whatever they already have written for National Treasure 3 and give it to the Safdies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching this. Definitely lived up to the hype.

Wasn't expecting to see the 2 star Amazon Prime rating after I watched it haha, although I guess it's not surprising that it would completely piss off a notable chunk of people just looking for an Adam Sandler movie. The reviews are loving hilarious.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Some of those reviews are over the top but I get it, its not a particularly enjoyable film in the fun whimsical way you might expect from Sandler.

Edit: actually y'know what, its not a great film, the dialogue is messy, the soundtrack is totally out of place, the main plot isn't compelling, its too long. I didn't think it was awful (read: it was better than pixels) but the hype built it to be a masterpiece.

I dunno I'd probably think it was a cult classic if you switched The Weeknd with Susan Boyle and whatever basketball nonsense which was going on with Celtic v Rangers and set it in the Glasgow Barras instead of NYC. Still wouldn't watch it more than once though.

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 16, 2020

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ya the chapo host spoiled it for me in an unrelated episode, they were talking about high stakes in politics or something and he said something like "it's like uncut gems except it doesn't end with them getting shot in the face, oh uh spoilers i guess", completely spoiling it for me lol. Still fun to watch, I love this as much as everyone else ITT and am excited to watch it again to pick up on subtler things.

I think earlier in this thread people were saying his gf is always true to him and was a light etc etc... did you miss when she grabs the weeknd's dick and is excited for how hard it is, and is obviously daring him to touch her more when she's doing the flirty no touching thing in the bathroom? idk when I was watching it it seemed like she was someone who sorta actually likes howard, but that's 20% of it and the other 80% is just wanting a nice free uptown apartment like any other girl dating some older upper-middle schlub.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Finally saw this. Uncut Gems feels like First Reformed starring Adam Sandler.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
One thing I liked was Howie consistently jumping from deathly serious things to being impressed by whatever new thing is in front of him.

He gets locked naked in a trunk at his daughter's play, only to walk in and sincerely say "wow! :O" at a cheap special effect they use for her spitting out coins. And then after getting beat again and sobbing about what a gently caress-up he is, he starts saying "now we can't be buried togetherrrr" at his gf's rear end tattoo. The guy is too in his own world to realize how the reality he's actually in even works.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Watched this with my wife on Netflix yesterday. I originally saw it in theaters when it came out, and on rewatch it holds up pretty well. Since I had seen it the first time it was less of an assault on the senses and I definitely picked up a lot more than I did the first time. My wife said she felt overwhelmed watching it, between the music/pace/cinematography, so pretty similar to the first time seeing it in theaters for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I've heard a lot of people tapped out of this movie after an hour and I'm guessing it's that scene in the shop where it's trying to advance 4 different plot threads at once while continuing to have everyone scream at each other just as they've been doing since the opening scene

this movie is like the scene at the end of every Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where all the characters are yelling at each other but for 2 1/2 hours

ultimately I liked it a lot but holy poo poo