Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked this movie a lot but it didn’t quite live up to the level of hype I had built up in my head. Solidly third this year behind Parasite and the Lighthouse for me. Also maybe an unpopular take but I wasn’t that stressed out by it? I felt more anxiety during Good Time. Maybe because the main character in that movie was somewhat sympathetic and the closest person to him was his brother with developmental disabilities, whereas Howard is just irritating and one of the only people that cares about him is his ditzy mistress.

Kevin Garnett is perfectly cast for this. Athletes are superstitious but KG believing he gets basketball powers from a magic opal is indistinguishable from real life. Apparently they wanted Joel Embiid originally and would’ve set it in the present, which would not have worked nearly as well. Dude doesn’t have the intensity or anything as valuable as a championship ring.

Edit: also me and both of my friends had to pee the entire time but independently decided to hold it in because a) it was enthralling and b) it felt like it added to the atmosphere. Judging by the bathroom line after I think most of the audience did the same.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, after those two masterpieces, this coming up right behind it... that's incredibly high praise.

(I also don't watch many movies so it doesn't mean much)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Mmmm. Crudités.

Did this movie even have as much profanity as that says? It doesn't feel like that. Maybe I missed it because so much of the dialogue is piled on top of each other.

I think on TV Tropes (lol) it said the word “gently caress” was used over 300 times.

Also thinking about it, the funniest part of the movie is when those bumbling guys show up at the shop during the climax and Howard just goes “oh not these guys!”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can’t believe the violent goon guy was cast off the street (I know that’s a signature of theirs). He seems like such a That Guy.

Also the Fat Jew was in this movie?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stato-Masochist posted:

It’s not explicitly stated that that’s the case i don’t think, but it’s as good an inference as any other. My assumption was that he was in debt from taking loans to gamble with.

I think Arno says he's been gambling with his money all over town, not just placing bets with Gary. Could be a combination of that and the opal costs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Arno gets it because he seems to fall under Howie's spell. He's relieved. You did it! You fixed it all! We can, maybe, be a family! And then Howie is shot, which was probably never ever a part of the plan, because as much as everyone hates Howie, his sister doesn't want the father of her children dead.

Awesome awesome movie. Snuck in my Top 5 of the year right at the end.

Sister-in-law. He is married to Dinah’s sister.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I once saw him open for Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden at an amphitheater on a sunny day. I don't think most of the audience new there was a performance happening.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly as someone who was following the NBA in 2012 I don’t remember that series at all. It was all about the LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat at that time who would end that era of the Celtics in the following round

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm a Celtics fan so I knew how the game turned out but of course couldn't remember if they got the tip off or KG got enough points/rebounds to cover the bet.

Yeah that's the real suspenseful part of it. If it was all on the Celtics winning it wouldn't have had any tension--of course they beat that random 8-seed Sixers team that only got there because Derrick Rose was injured. But I feel like only a true Boston diehard would remember a statline for that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pospysyl posted:

If you're a violent guy, I absolutely believe that getting locked in a cage for four hours would be enough to set you off.

NBA games are around 2.5

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pospysyl posted:

I'll admit that I don't follow the NBA, but wouldn't a playoff game have more commercials, making it longer?

Probably. But longer than 3 is a lot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Luckyellow posted:

Am I the only one who think that this movie is pretty antisemitic? It kinda really bother me watching the entire movie that Adam Sandler was acting like what alt-right would think a Jew is.

Yes, the Jewish writers, directors and star of this movie are anti-Semites. God forbid a Jewish character ever be portrayed negatively in a movie.

I mean poo poo, what stereotypes does he even follow other than his profession? Getting yourself in massive debt with loan sharks and gambling to pay it off is the opposite of being a penny-pincher.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 8, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Oh yeah. He gets weird about reading the Hebrew though, right?

I don't remember him being weird about it. He does the English reading while his mother-in-law(?) does the Hebrew. I don't have much seder experience but not everyone at the table necessarily understands Hebrew so someone doing a translation seems normal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Zero Oscar noms. Let’s see if Sandler commits to his threat to make the worst movie of all time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Academy has denied us Kevin Garnett at the Oscars

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Very true. I was just naming stuff off-hand. But yeah, the soundtrack loving ruled. Lots of great technical work WRT editing, sound mixing, etc.

And Joker got 11? Get the gently caress out of here. Didn’t Return of the King get like 13-16 noms?

I believe went 13 for 13.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's a pretty funny movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Handsome Older Gentleman is definitely a creep but I did not get the vibe that he would try anything like that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/chipoffyoblock/status/1226318253531680768?s=21

https://twitter.com/chipoffyoblock/status/1226318567001296896?s=21

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

coronavirus posted:

what? did I miss a key scene in billy madison? or is this some character backstory I wasn't aware of from Longest Yard?

That's My Boy with Andy Samberg.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched it last night and I'm really kicking myself for listening to the Chapo interview because I don't follow NBA and would have genuinely not known how the game ended.

I feel like that entire episode would’ve been gibberish to someone who hadn’t watched the movie anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

this movie is like the scene at the end of every Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where all the characters are yelling at each other but for 2
Yeah it loving owns