Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:siren: :siren: Voting Ends *at Midnight, Pacific time* on Saturday, January 11th. :siren: :siren:

Rules
- Pick up to 5 series from the list.
- Rank them if you want.
- Write something about your choices!
- Feel free to discuss shows, but don't be a prick about people picking certain things or ranking them however they do.

I'm continuing to primarily use localized titles for shows when available, so keep that in mind if you don't immediately see what you're looking for, voting using the JP title is fine. For shows that seem to have more popular/simple un-loc titles I have included them as well. If you notice anything missing from the list, please post about it so an edit can be made. Movies/OVAs overall exist in a weird grey zone where they aren't always readily available, but feel free to vote for them. As before, an edit log will be maintained at the bottom of the list.

code:
Ace Attorney Season 2
A Certain Magical Index III
A Certain Scientific Accelerator
Actors: Songs Connection
Africa Salaryman
AFTERLOST / Shometsu Toshi
After School Dice Club
Aikatsu Friends!
Aikatsu Friends! Kagayaki no Jewel
Amazing Stranger
Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai! 3
Ao-chan Can't Study!
Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Assassin’s Pride
Astra Lost in Space
Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
BAKUMATSU Crisis
Bananya and the Curious Bunch
BanG Dream! S2
BEM
Bermuda Triangle ~ Colorful Pastrale
Boogiepop Never Laughs
B-Project! * Zecchou Emotion
Bungo Stray Dogs Season 3
Captain Tsubasa (2018)
Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018)
Carole & Tuesday
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
Children of the Sea
Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy
Cinderella Girls Gekijou CLIMAX SEASON
Cinderella Nine
Circlet Princess
Cop Craft
Date A Live III
Demon Lord, Retry!
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Dimension High School
Domestic Girlfriend
Dororo
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
Dr. Stone
ENDRO!
Ensemble Stars!
Fairy Gone
Fairy Tail: Final Series
Fire Force
Fruits Basket (2019) First Season
Future Card Buddyfight Ace
Girly Air Force
given
GRANBELM
Grimm's Notes The Animation
Hakata Mentai! Pirikarako-chan
Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie?
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World / Choyoyu
Hinomaru Zumo
Hi Score Girl Season 2
Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu
Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo! Season 2 / Hey, Your Cat Ears Are Showing! Season 2
How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
Hugtto! Precure
Hulaing Babies
If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
Inazuma Eleven: The Seal of Orion
Isekai Cheat Magician
Isekai Quartet
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? S2 / Danmachi S2
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
Joshi Kausei
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Kakegurui XX
Kandagawa Jet Girls
Karakuri Circus
Katana Maidens ~ Mini Toji
Kemono Friends 2
Kemono Michi: Rise Up
kemurikusa.
Kengan Ashura
KING OF PRISM - Shiny Seven Stars -
Kiratto Pri-chan
Kochoki
Kono Oto Tomare!
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Seiran / LoGH Remake Season 2
Levius
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai
Manaria Friends
Meiji Tokyo Renka
Midnight Occult Civil Servants
Million Arthur 2
MIX
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet
Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Mo Dao Zu Shi Season 2 / Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation Season 2
My Roommate is a Cat
Nakanohito Genome [Jikkyouchuu] 
Namuamidabutsu! -UTENA-
Nobunaga teacher's young bride
No Guns Life
Null & Peta
O Maidens In Your Savage Season
One-Punch Man Season 2
ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?
Pastel Memories
Piano no Mori Season 2
Pokemon Sun & Moon
PROMARE
PSYCHO-PASS Season 3
Radiant
Rainy Cocoa sideG
Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl
Re:Stage! Dream Days
Real Girl Season 2
Ride Your Wave
Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan
Rising of Shield Hero
RobiHachi
Run With The Wind
Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou
Sarazanmai
Senryu Girl
Shin Chuuka Ichiban
Shonen Ashibe Go! Go! Goma-chan Season 3
Sounan des kua? / Are You Lost?
Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit / Tokunana
Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth
STARMYU 3
Stars Align
Strike the Blood III
Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off!
Sword Art Online: Alicization
Symphogear XV
Teasing Master Takagi-san Season 2
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
The Helpful Fox Senko-san
The Magnificent KOTOBUKI
The Morose Mononokean Season 2
The Price of Smiles
The Promised Neverland
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Thunderbolt Fantasy: Bewitching Melody of the West
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
Try Knights
Tsurune
Ultramarine Magmel
Val x Love
Vinland Saga
VIRTUALSAN - LOOKING
W'z
Wasteful Days of HIgh School Girls
Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me
Welcome, Chitose
We Never Learn: BOKUBEN
Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?
Wise Man's Grandchild
Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 7
Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World
Z/X: Code Reunion
Zoids Wild
Edit log:
12/26/19 7:18PM - Added Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo! S2 and Mo Dao Zu Shi S2
12/26/19 7:58 PM - Added Beastars because the final episode has aired
1/4/20 9:12PM - Added Thunderbolt Fantasy Movie which I forgot to do earlier this week. lol

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I’m gonna snipe the first post by saying Actors is aoty

Maybe I’ll elaborate when I get to watch the last episode

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

watch granbelm

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My votes aka things I finished:
given
Midnight Occult Civil Servants
PROMARE
Hey Your Cat Ears Are Showing S2

Shows I watched part of and will eventually finish that are good and I want to mention:
My Roommate is a Cat
Run With The Wind

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 27, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Hey Your Cat Ears Are Showing isn't on the list so disregard if I can't vote for it

might've missed it because mal lists it as the chinese title i had never seen before so i assumed it was one of the many unsubbed chinese shows that seem to be on there

s1 is a 2018 show but s2 would qualify for 2019 and i will add it to the list. on that note i should add MDZS s2 as well

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In no real order:

Hitoribocchi
Hitoribocchi grows more powerful ever day. Relatable, sweet, funny.

Run With The Wind
10 good good boys who I will never abandon. I will protect each of these boys with my life. Watching them learn the joys of running together was beaut.

Machikado Mazoku
Like Hitoribocchi but substitute social awkwardness with demonic social awkwardness. Ganbare, Shamiko!

Dumbbells
It's dumb funny in the best sort of way. Also with legit fitness tips!

Kaguya-sama
Perfect voice casting. Also wins award for Most Memorable OP.

Honourable Manga Mention:
Hanebado finished this year and whilst the anime diverged from the manga like crazy it's still a wild ride and is one of my fav sports series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I didn't watch much of this year's anime, so I can only think of three I really liked.

3: How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
It was funny and informative and had a catchy opening

2: Symphogear XV
Not the strongest season of Symphogear, but that's still pretty good. And it ended the series well.

1: Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
This was pretty drat great. I mean, come on, how could anyone not tear up when Mob admits he knows what Reigen is

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mob Psycho 2
Stars Align
O Maidens in Your Savage Season
PROMARE
JoJo: Golden Wind
High Score Girl 2
Given
Sarazanmai
Carole & Tuesday
Vinland Saga
Kakegurui XX

Those are in no particular order, and since I've seen them already, I'll throw in Beastars and Weathering With You as runners-up(tho High Score Girl 2 > Beastars if I'm bein totally honest)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5. hugtto precure

a weak ending cant change how good a lot of the middle episodes were

4. case files of el melloi ii

had that horny eyepatch girl

3. bang dream season 2

cg was hit or miss and it had some random side content that wentn owhere because it had to get every character in but tae's arc was really well done

2. symphogear xv

had some writing issues but the animation quality on display and the energy of it made up for it

1. granbelm

the action wasnt great and referencing the tomino shows people don't like isnt as clever as it thinks it is but the dialogue and characters are fantastic

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

1 Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door
2 Hitoribocchi no ○○ Seikatsu
3 Kaguya-sama: Love is War
4 Jojo 5
5 Kono Oto Tomare!

im sure netflix jailing like 4 things i wanted to watch then me forgetting til i saw the list changed some stuff but also besides this list everyone should watch Wasteful Days of HIgh School Girls ok bye

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

4. case files of el melloi ii

had that horny eyepatch girl

Kakegurui also has a horny eyepatch girl.

Will post an actual list a little later on.

Also is anybody making a Worst/greatest disappointments of 2019 thread this year?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

5) Attack on Titan Season 3 - Do I even need to say anything? Everyone knows what AoT is and whether they're on board or not. As for me, the sole viewer that hasn't read the manga, I'm committed to riding this out to the end as each season has been stronger than the last.

4) O Maidens In Your Savage Season - Mari Okada is powerful.

3) Lupin the Third: Fujiko Mine's Lie - Koike can't be stopped. The 2010s have indisputably been the best decade for Lupin since the 80s and Koike has seen various degrees of involvement with the greatest of them. His character design work on The Woman Called Fujiko Mine ushered in a breath of fresh air compared to the stale aesthetics that had been a plague on the series for many years, and I've been pleased that he took from that style when he got his turn in the director's chair. Fujiko Mine's Lie doesn't change much from the formula established in Jigen's Gravestone or Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood. The eponymous character gets involved in a feud with a gimmicky (yet memorable!) assassin, cue stylish action. But that in itself is significant; prior to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, the most emphasis on Fujiko being a part of the main plot and resolution of anything outside the various tv series was a movie in which she had amnesia and thus acted in a way that was completely out of character for most of its run-time. So in light of how rare it can be, it's refreshing as hell to see an entry where she gets to take out the villain while the rest of the gang takes on a more low-key role. There's not much else to say. Like everything Koike helms the direction is impeccable with a lot of attention to small details, resulting in something more memorable than most Lupin films despite clocking in at under an hour. I'm excited as hell to see what Koike does next with Lupin. Here's hoping that the 2020s continue to be great for the series.

2) Sarazanmai - It's official, 2019 has been the strand genre's best year to date.

1) Mix: Meisei Story - I've looked at statistics in a variety of places and the one thing that remains consistent wrt Mix is that barely any anime-likers on the English-speaking side of things watched it. I've said enough over the course of this year about how Mitsuru Adachi is one of the best out there at writing sibling relationships that feel genuine, and how he's able to switch gears from comedy to drama and everything in-between without feeling even a little out of place. So instead I'll try a different approach and just say: Mix was a show that was watched by very few in the west but those that did tended to rate it very highly, and I hope that makes some folks curious enough to find out why.

I wish I could have put the new Yuasa movie on my list because I'm sure I'd have loved it but fansubbers have disappointed me yet again on the movie side of things. It has been out for several weeks and there are still no subs, boo to that. I also wanna give a shoutout to the Lupin III tv movie Goodbye Partner. They brought back the tv movies and this time around it didn't suck because the solid action director Jun Kawagoe was let out of his cage and allowed to direct an anime again (as an aside when you consider the CG Lupin movie that makes three Lupin movies in 2019. Wow!).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1) Demon Girl Next Door/ Machikado Mazoku

Most ambitious 4 koma in awhile. Started out as a gag anime but showed it's heart and ambition quickly. The later manga makes me want a season 2 real soon

2) Mob Psycho Season 2

"Your Life is Your Own" Is such a great line and the show leans into it greatly. Reigen and Mob are a great team, and the end of the Reigen episode is arguably the best anime moment this year

3) Hitoribocchi

WAH HA HA!

4) Bang Dream Season 2

I liked season 1 though it was only okay compared to other idol mobage anime, but season 2 really stepped it up. To actually advancing the casts age, to drama that really hit home with Otae and Poppin Party this was great show to watch as a fan of Bandori

5) Symphogear XV

MIKU GEAR!

HM: Aikatsu Friends, Jojo Season 5, Bookworm, both Precure, Magnificent Kotobuki

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished exactly 5 anime FROM this year

5. Jojo 5 - Probably has my favorite aesthetic of the Jojos so far and has some of the best Jojo content when it's rolling. The ending is very disappointing however

4. Demon Slayer - Best shonen in years, great looking, excellent soundtrack, feels. What more do you want? Also Yoshiaki Kawajiri storyboarded one of the best episodes. The way it's held together started falling apart as soon as I thought about it at all though. Excited to see the rest of the manga adapted if they keep it this good

3. Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan - Industry vets adapt different sequences from the best manga that isn't translated in their own styles with different voice actresses and then they all give interviews afterward. It's a little odd that this adaptation of a manga about the real lives of women had no women directors though! Still it was great seeing old and new directors explain their styles and every ep had different voice actresses as well who had lots of great insight. Gave me some new directors to check out as well. The quality of the different episodes was very uneven though as were the quality of the interviews.

2. Mob Psycho 2 - The final arc was sort of a thematic repeat of the first season's final arc and the way it resolved wasn't as entertaining. But everything up to that was the best Mob yet. Teh reigen eps made me cry.

1. Hulaing Babies - Tons of style and heart. Just about drat perfect from the very first frame. Also every ED was a different comedy improvisation by a real ukelele man.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 27, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba - Had it's ups and downs with pacing but some of the most beautifully animated action I've seen.

4. Run with the Wind - Very good boys, had me in tears more than anything else this year.

3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Excellent adaptation of maybe the best romcom I've read. OP is catchy as gently caress and is stuck in my head as I write this.

2. Mob Psycho season 2 - Once again a beautiful adaptation of my favorite manga. Covered a couple of my favorite moments in the series. Climax of episode 1 is the single best scene in any series all year.

1. Beastars - I wasn't even expecting to like this season when I first caught an ep of it but it's like practically my current anime/manga obsession now. Excellent cgi, changes to the manga's pacing that were mostly improvements. The series really explores its setting and characters in a way that makes everyone's thoughts and motivations feel both alien yet extremely relatable. Legosi giving Mob a run for his money as favorite protagonist. Ultimately a very beautiful series about how weird and complicated and messy love is, and the struggle to accept who you are in the face of what the world tries to force you to be.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Srice posted:

5) Attack on Titan Season 3 - Do I even need to say anything? Everyone knows what AoT is and whether they're on board or not. As for me, the sole viewer that hasn't read the manga, I'm committed to riding this out to the end as each season has been stronger than the last.

Y'know as much as I disliked the second season I actually really liked the third season. Here's to everything going to poo poo according to the manga readers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Julias posted:

Also is anybody making a Worst/greatest disappointments of 2019 thread this year?

namtab generally does the worst thread, and he should have this same list barring the edits i haven't moved over yet

so i would either assume he has yet to get to it (seems like a busy year for him) or just pester him on discord about it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

Y'know as much as I disliked the second season I actually really liked the third season. Here's to everything going to poo poo according to the manga readers.

I'm gonna be a believer in it ending well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

Did you see that Orphan Subs released an entire new Adachi show

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Srice posted:

I hope it's some loving wild rear end poo poo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not a super memorable year compared to 2018, honestly, but still enough here to be glad about.

1.)Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV - not the best show that aired this year, but appeals to me specifically more than just about anything else I watched. Despite a more rushed pacing than I would have preferred, delivered solid-to-great resolutions for a cast of characters I really adore, had some of my favorite songs in the franchise, and had some of the best action Sakuga I saw all year, and the best in the franchise. Good endings are important.

2.) Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 - The best show I watched this year. The most immaculately produced shounen anime I've ever seen, executing on thematic material with intelligence, humor, and deceptively profound compassion.

3.) Vinland Saga - I was very leery of this adaptation coming in because I ended up mostly disliking studio WIT's work on The Ancient Magus Bride despite really loving that manga, but despite some clear midseason production struggles they've held it together pretty well this time. Well enough not to hold back another incredible piece of source material, anyway. The voice acting in particular might be the best I've heard all year. Akio Ohtsuka's Thorkell is an utter delight.

4.) Machikado Mazoku - Biggest surprise of the year. Starts off as pretty typical Kirara-kei, yuri-adjacent 4-koma fluff fare, and it still is very much that, but it sneaks up on you with a dedication to longer-form character arcs delivered with a low-key sense of attention to worldbuilding. Really wonderful character dynamics. Really hope it gets a second season some time, especially if they can tighten up the production values a bit.

5.) Hitori Bocchi - Wa Ha Ha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Did you see that Orphan Subs released an entire new Adachi show

Whoa.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

5. Dumbbells
Show's just funny as gently caress. Dub is also v. good and Ian Sinclair as the narrator is amazing.

4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
Love the manga and the show generally did a fantastic job with some really beautiful animation. It was also not paced well because they clearly wanted to end the show at a certain point and it was noticeable as a manga reader.

3. El Melloi II Case Files
Idk I just enjoyed it a good bit. Enjoyed the cast.

2. Mob Psycho II
A really beautiful show in both animation and writing.

1. Granbelm
Cute squat robots, two very likable leads, and a mid-season boss fight that's probably one of the more meaningful and impacting fights I've seen in a mecha anime in a long time. Wasn't expecting it to be my AOTY when I gave it a shot after asking about it in the rec thread but, well, here we are.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
1. Kaguya-sama
2. Yakosoku no Neverland
3. Kono Oto Tomare
4. Okaasan Online
5. Oresuki

HM: Hitoribocchi, Shinchou Yuusha, Kimetsu, Wataten, Bokutachi wa benkyou ga dekinai, Ao-chan wa benkyou ga dekinai, gotoubun no hanayome, dumbell, high score girl 2, boogiepop, heikinchi, machikado mazoku, kemonomichi.

Lots of strong comedies this year, but I felt a lack of something darker to really sink my teeth into. Yakosoku and Kimetsu were good, of course, and Boogiepop was dark, but nearly incomprehensible. I have somehow failed so far to watch either Dororo or Psychopass 3, either of which might potentially have satisfied that need.

Chihayafuru, if it had been eligible, would have made it onto this year's top 5.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
1. GRANBELM

my surprise of the year. cute robots, good characters.

2. Symphogear XV

more symphogear, good autoscorers, carol

3. Dumbbells

onegai muscle

4. Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl

i felt feelings

5. BLACKFOX

It's not on the list but I'm pretty sure it came out this year.

Honorable Mention:

El Melloi Case Files, which would be on the list if I'd finished it.

Also W'z, which I definitely watched without watching Hand Shakers and enjoyed.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 27, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

1 Machikado
2 Hitoribocchi
3 Granbelm

Those are the only shows from this year I watched and have more positive thoughts than 'oh yeah I watched that'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weird year for sure, but in no order:

Hittoribocchi:
Wa ha ha! Just a sweet and fun series with good characters. A total joy every week.

Dumbbells:
Loved the manga because it balanced dumb poo poo with useful workout tips. They put real effort into translating the goofy feel.

Astra: Lost in Space:
Good adventure with a side of mystery.

O Maidens
Ladies need weirdo comedy teenager stuff too.

Honorable:
HiScore Girl2, Takagi2, Miss Ueno

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
I finished 24 of the shows on that list. No particular order, though Mob is undoubtedly my AOTY:

Mob Psycho 100 S2
More incredible animation and character writing, and more Reigen being the goodest good boy. It baffles me that OPM got so bad, while this continues to knock it out of the park.

Machikado Mazoku
I initially wrote this off as a dumb, meme-y gag series, but it really surprised me with how adorable and heartwarming it is.

O Maidens In Your Savage Season
Hilarious, though I cringed as much as I laughed.

Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu
I can't leave this off here, Bocchi is too strong to deny.

Dr. Stone
A great adaptation of the best thing Shounen Jump currently has going for it. Lots of fun, with a surprising amount of pathos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, feels odd to be doing this after the decade thread already discussed it.

Like last year, I watched a bunch of shows. Also managed to catch a few movies, but it feels a bit odd to put them on the same metric. Sure, Promare, Rascal, and Konosuba were great, but the nature of films and even six episode OVAs is pretty different. Promare might have been the most fun to experience, but keeping up the intensity for a couple hours is easier than keeping up the intensity for a couple months, you know?

I don't know if I could easily rank them, anyway. They were all doing entirely different things. All I feel equipped to do is say some thoughts. So, in order of viewing...

Promare: Studio Trigger. Seriously, this is just them cutting loose on a film budget, and it's a delight. While most of their shows attempt to have some thought under the madcap surface, Promare hardly has room for any of it, instead amping things up in a roller-coaster of CG, giant robots and bright colors. Plus, you have to respect any film where the solution to the world potentially being destroyed in an inferno is to light everything on fire before that can happen.

Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl: And at the opposite end, this is basically an arc of Bunny-girl Senpai on the big screen. The animation's not a feast for the eyes, and it doesn't do much the show couldn't, but it does what the show did well, and that's more than enough. Our leads are likable, the dialogue is funny when it's not emotional (and sometimes when it is), and the plot played with time travel in clever ways. It was a nice capper to one of my unexpected favorites of 2018. Wouldn't mind more some day, but if this is where it stops, it's not a bad way to end.

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Legend of Crimson:
Now Konosuba, I need more of. The film showed some visible upgrades to the show, with more animated dopey expressions, more character details, and of course utterly absurd explosions, but at heart it was still a bunch of idiots and lunatics running rampage across a fantasy world. While compressing what would normally be a five episode arc into 90 minutes meant that some of the scene transitions were awkwardly abrupt, it had some amazing stupidity from all concerned, including Kazuma's classic self-sabotage and finally meeting Megumin's home village, which explains a lot about her in general. While I technically got a dose of Kazuma and company in Isekai Quartet, this reminded me how much more fun they are with a full scale world to rampage across.

So, moving back to TV:

5) Dororo:
We're starting with kind of a default pick. While I liked the show overall, it had some weak episodes, and seldom felt like it fully lived up to its potential. Still, it had a complete story, and played with the protagonist's arc in an interesting way, balancing the monstrous nature of the world with the classic questions as to what extent brutality justifies brutality, the needs of the many and the one, and the whole "Gain the world, lose your soul" profit bit. Plus, some of the fights were pretty neat. Not one for the all time list, but it had enough that I don't regret checking it out.

4) High score girl:
More of the same as the first season, but the first season was good enough that I don't mind. Coming in at a short nine episodes, it doesn't overstay its welcome, wrapping up the manga and getting in a few more good gags. Plus, the second season ED just worked for me.

3) Vinland Saga:
Won't say this year was particularly good or bad, but the gap between the top three and everything else for me is kind of crazy.

Vinland Saga starts with excellent material and does all it can to live up to it, even adding new scenes and whole episodes worth of content to flesh out Thorfinn, Canute, and Askeladd's journey. The action hits hard, the comedy's funny, but most of all it's a thoughtful meditation on war, peace, and the human condition. It's nice to have something live up to your expectations.

2)O Maidens In Your Savage Season:
I'm pretty sure I laughed harder at "Bus Porn" than I did anything else this year, and that alone was enough to secure O Maidens a strong place on my "best anime of the decade" list. But it also had amazing scene composition, strong character drama, an ending that tied things up much better than I expected with how spread out things had gotten, and plenty more great jokes, right up to the end. I never thought that it would do this well on my listings when I first heard of it, but I'm glad it did.

1)Mob Psycho 100:
My "no double dipping" rule for the decade list left Mob stuck with "only" one year. But here, without that holding it back, Mob can live up to its absurd potential. It looks like nothing else, moves like nothing else, and lands jokes like... okay, like One Punch Man season 1, but that's to be expected with a shared author. Mob Psycho 100 is an amazing manga, but the show lifts it above even those heights. I'm really hoping we'll see season 3 in the near future to wrap things up, but even without it, I'm amazed at what we got.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

5: Ascendance of a Bookworm
--Good to see an isekai not just flat-out doing all the stuff all other isekais do, with some really smart writing.

4: Dr. Stone
--Now this is thrilling.

3: Vinland Saga
--come for the thorkell, stay for the thorkell

2: El-Melloi
--Just a really good time, even without knowing pretty much anything about the Fateverse.

1: Kaguya-Sama: Love is War
--Transcendentally funny.

Honorable Mentions
-Golden Wind - Usually a Jojo would be in my top five but Diavolo just ain't cool enough.
-Midnight Occult Civil Servants - A good sleeper hit but I just kinda wanted another cour too badly.
-Mob Psycho 100 S2 - Only not in my top 5 because I have weird ideas about ranking the back half a series like that.
-Slime Tensei - Probably not fair to strictly blame the anime but almost every single ogre looked cooler before the 'evolution' redesign and we're playing a dangerous game.

Cautionary Tales
-Cop Craft - I really wanted to like it but when you're just giving me key frames with sound effects I can't stick with it.
-Granbelm - Y'all those robots looked terrible.

Also Watched: Boogiepop, Cautious Hero, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Domestic Girlfriend, Dororo, Fire Force, Danberu, Isekai Quartet, Danmachi, Kemono Michi, Machikado Mazoku, No Guns Life, Oresuki, Special 7, Hanayome, Gundam Re:RISE, Ace of Diamond, Ahiru no Sora

Still on deck: Babylon, FGO Babylonia, Kabukicho Sherlock, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun, Robihachi, Shin Chuuka Ichiban!, Astra

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

littleorv posted:

I hope it's some loving wild rear end poo poo

even if it's the worst ending in history the poo poo that happens between the end of s3 and the current point in the manga is THE WILDEST-rear end poo poo

Also, in no particular order, aot s3, hitoribocchi, slime isekai and Vinland saga are all excellent adaptations

Really looking forward to Dorohedoro

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
No particular order on these:

Hitoribocchi
Cute and heartwarming.

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Mob Psycho continues to be very good, it took me a while to get into season 1 but season 2 started strong and remained strong throughout.

PROMARE
I'm almost always a fan of what Trigger puts out and PROMARE didn't disappoint.

The Promised Neverland
I knew nothing about this going in but I was gripped throughout. Definitely looking forward to season 2 next year.

GRANBELM
This had it's ups and downs but on the whole I think it worked, everything with Anna was particularly strong.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

1. Beastars

https://twitter.com/Kheyehm1/status/1209503874068951040

2. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War

I love the manga and the way this adaptation was always on point, and always with some extra touch that stands out, was really fun.

3. Run with the Wind

Thinking about that dog...

4. Mob Psycho 2

I have my ups and downs with this show but the highs are very high and this season was mostly highs.

5. Hitori Bocchi

Sweet and funny and a level more intense than these kind of shows usually are, it rules.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZrFtIGzfU

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Mob and Reigen's relationship made this season for me. Fantastic opening and ending as well.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Cute no fuss isekai adventures with a good slime pal who befriends everyone. Ending fell a little short. But I really enjoyed the road leading up to it.

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
Cute girls getting SWOLE. Also gets bonus points for legitimate good fitness advice.

Demon Slayer
Manages to take the manga material and elevate it to a whole new level.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
5. The Magnificent KOTOBUKI - decent over-arching plot, enough funny moments to keep me engaged. Some people don't like that style of animation, but I don't mind and it was done pretty well here. The aerial dogfights were well done, and the world was very interesting. Cute girls doing airplane things.

4. ENDRO! - sweet, with good characters given enough time in the show to be more than cardboard cutouts. The show starting with the end credits was funny. Cute girls fighting cute demon-lord things.

3. Manaria Friends - wonderfully animated. Great character study of two girls slowly realizing they're falling for each other. Cute girls doing magical school things.

2. Wasteful Days of High School Girls - made me laugh, a lot. Cute (and not so cute) girls doing absurd things.

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - hilarious and sweet. Subject F best character; rarely do I notice the voice acting, but Chika's voice actor really brought the character to life. (narrator second-best character [this is a lie]). Not just cute girls.

KoB
May 1, 2009
5. PROMARE
4. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
3. Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
1. Run With The Wind

I also watched all of March Comes in like a Lion this year which is my actual AOTY.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 - Mob! Mob! Mob!
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - My second favorite season of JoJos anime so far, with the best cast of characters.
3. Ascendance of a Bookworm - Cute and wholesome, an absolute charm to watch
4. One-Punch Man Season 2 - Still the great writing and comedy of S1 even if the animation is lacking this time around.
5. Boogiepop - Boogiepop

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I didn't watch many animes I loved this year, but I'll give a "way better than it has any right to be" award to Machikado Mazoku. I could make a whole list of things I don't like about it from the fact that it felt too married to the 4-koma format to the production being a lil janky in places, but the emotional core is strong enough to shine through all of it and make it a really fun and sweet watch. Here's hoping for a season 2.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this was a pretty much awful year in my opinion so i rated only 2 anime above a 6.

1. youjo senki movie: lil hitler-chan returns back in action to beat the commies and mary sue. classic stuff. the incredibly long magical girl fight gave me a minor headache

2. Joshikousei no Mudazukai: rare modern anime with actual jokes in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Beato Believer posted:

3. Manaria Friends - wonderfully animated. Great character study of two girls slowly realizing they're falling for each other. Cute girls doing magical school things.

Oh man, thanks for reminding me that Manaria was this year. Definitely an honourable mention for me.