Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Mob Psycho 100 Season 2, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Vinland Saga, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, PROMARE

kind of a weak year for me tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

starting this list feeling a bit ambivalent about the year in retrospect, but perhaps dissecting my feelings on stuff will bring the enthusiasm back

1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - I just love the manga, and the greatest treat by far was getting this voice cast behind the characters, especially my faves Zenitsu and Inosuke. While the rough lines of Gotoge's art were sanded down, the show does not want for visual fidelity or flourish and it was just a drat treat every week to see ufotable's interpretations of action scenes, comedy bits, etc etc. I'm just hoping we'll be so blessed as to get a full series adaptation with this creative team largely unchanged, because the later arcs have even more stuff I want to see them tackle.

2. O Maidens In Your Savage Season - While the humor and expressiveness were the initial draws for this one, it really hits my soft spot for emotional teen things. The relatable aspects that set off vicarious anxiety or sadness, seeing the issues from 10 years removed and being able to laugh with/at or root for the kids involved, etc. This was my absolute watch every week as it aired and while it just kind of ends, it was a wonderful ride.

3. Dororo - This one was kind of an uphill battle. At times it felt too hand-holdy/overly expository, and also fell on some rather lame style choices like b/w flashback episodes. It also felt a bit like the show was chiding Hyakkimaru a bit excessively for clawing his way out of a horrible situation that was no fault of his own, but for my own sake I kinda toned down the closeness of my reading after a point to just enjoy the strong points of the show. There were great action highlights throughout the show and the central relationship between Hyakki and Dororo is built so, so well. Dororo especially has an amazing VA performance and thinking about them just makes me melt...sweet child. Most of the OP/EDs for this were straight bangers but it's really the second one that tears me apart with the lyrics and visuals.

4. Boogiepop Never Laughs - A reverse Dororo situation here, I loved this show until the final arc kinda lost me, but overall my experience was positive and I value the stuff it was doing. The overall anachronistic storytelling was confusing but always made a satisfying click as things fell into place during the finale of each arc, and the world of Boogiepop is just so interesting to me as someone unfamiliar with the novels or prior anime. It seems like the rather unremarkable character design is generally leveraged against the show, but I guess I just appreciate the novelty of it tbh. It's also a great backdrop for the otherwise mysterious/surreal goings-on, and the simplicity of the designs allows for significant freedom when it comes to expressing action or aforementioned surreal aspects to the series. Perhaps I'll jump into the books and find them a more enriching experience, but as far as a visual adaptation goes this was a real interesting treat to follow, since even in the final arc it continued to deliver in that regard. A shout out to the lowkey but perfectly fitting soundtrack as well.

5. Bungo Stray Dogs - It's more Bungo. Just like S2 this one has a flashback arc, and I guess I'm just really partial to those in the context of this series...though having cute kid versions of Dazai/Chuuya probably helps. For some reason this season felt a bit slight, but it didn't lack for bombastic conflicts or even some nicer downtempo emotional/comedic moments. I'm ready for more, c'mon!!

Honorable mentions to Fire Force, GRANBELM, Mob S2, RobiHachi, Sarazanmai, SAO Alicization, and The Price of Smiles for not totally imploding despite being the most mediocre thing I may have ever seen. Now here is the part where I highlight one specific HM because I need to write more than just its name.

W'z

I don't think I've seen a GoHands thing from this particular era of their stylistic "evolution" but ofc I did see the HandShakers memes. W'z is often garish and weird, they could only license/compose one DJ song for their DJ protagonist to play all season, and while the story is thankfully standalone for non-HS watchers like me, it's not particularly great or full of good characters. But this show and its stupid 3d camera, color filters, and frequently out of place CG are just so, so endearing to me. Nobody else is making anything that looks like this! I just get so entranced by it and for every three things that don't work you get something that does and it just makes me wish for more weird style choices to propagate across all anime, though I won't wish a GoHands virus on the industry as a whole. And again, a show with an OP that slaps.

whew. in retrospect i guess i would still say it was kind of a weak/bad year for me, and not a lot of my shows feel necessarily "good" by a more ~objective~ standard. but i had a good time watching them, and i guess those are the parts of this whole thing i will continue to value, even if it's probably weird when i can like admit a positive experience with W'z or Boogiepop and not have a lot to back it up. :sweatdrop:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
There's really only two right answers:-

Mob Psycho 100 season 2

Beastars.

Best film of the year is Promare.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

W'z

I don't think I've seen a GoHands thing from this particular era of their stylistic "evolution" but ofc I did see the HandShakers memes. W'z is often garish and weird, they could only license/compose one DJ song for their DJ protagonist to play all season, and while the story is thankfully standalone for non-HS watchers like me, it's not particularly great or full of good characters. But this show and its stupid 3d camera, color filters, and frequently out of place CG are just so, so endearing to me. Nobody else is making anything that looks like this! I just get so entranced by it and for every three things that don't work you get something that does and it just makes me wish for more weird style choices to propagate across all anime, though I won't wish a GoHands virus on the industry as a whole. And again, a show with an OP that slaps.

whew. in retrospect i guess i would still say it was kind of a weak/bad year for me, and not a lot of my shows feel necessarily "good" by a more ~objective~ standard. but i had a good time watching them, and i guess those are the parts of this whole thing i will continue to value, even if it's probably weird when i can like admit a positive experience with W'z or Boogiepop and not have a lot to back it up. :sweatdrop:
coppelion actually looks pretty good imo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

There's really only two right answers:-

Mob Psycho 100 season 2

Beastars.

Best film of the year is Promare.

Hadn't heard of Promare until just now but having it get mentioned by someone with that as their top series is enough for me to go check it out.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
1) Kimetsu no Yaiba
pretty good, I hope they adapt all of it

2) Kakegurui XX
pretty good, but I think the crazy piercing slut did not jerk her pussy off while licking a gun this season so the first one is still superior.

I haven't watched anything else that aired this year

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow I really didn't watch much this year.

1. Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door
Both this and #2 filled me with some warm feelings that were desperately needed at times in 2019. Good people meeting other good people and doing good things with them. Maybe the first episode isn't amazing I guess (it took the humor a little while to find its footing) but it sure ramped up from there and now new chapters coming out are some of the things I look forward to the most each week.

2. Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu
See #1. Maybe knocked down a little bit only because I was already a huge fan of the manga and I'm not sure it really adds THAT much over it. But it's still a good adaption of a good manga and in the end that's all I could ask for.

3. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
I did not love this as much as S1 because what I liked the most about Mob was the day-to-day character moments and introspections and relationships, and by necessity this season is more focused on the fighting and action. Still great but it did feel like the moments I was over the moon with were less frequent.

4. Symphogear XV
I flipped and flopped fairly consistently on XV, some weeks were great and others were frustrating, but largely speaking there was an arc they HAD to get through first and the path to get there felt forced and ultimately unsatisfying, both as a stand alone story for the season and as a capstone to storylines that had been developed for multiple seasons. Once it got past that it delivered the same beats and sequences that I would come to like and want in a Symphogear but I wish it had been more than that I guess. I powered through all seasons of Symphogear in the lead up to XV which was such a great experience, but I think in the end the first two seasons (especially G) were my favorites.

5. Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
Went back and forth between this and JoJo; ultimately sided with Waver because I think in the end I still care about that universe more than I ever will JoJo's and despite being largely bored with El-Melloi it was at least a fairly consistent story with some nice characters. I hope that that Rail Zeppelin is either just a weaker entry in the novels or there's better stuff to look forward to because I was really excited for the gist of that world and it was kind of a bummer that that stupid train murder mystery was so dull.

Honorable Mention: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
Honestly enough has already probably been discussed about GW. Good main characters, often good stands/fights, but the story is pitiful especially towards the end and is probably my least favorite Part.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Not that anyone will care but you have Huggato Precure listed when that was 2018, StarTwinkle Precure is the 2019 season

Beastars

JoJo Golden Wind

The Promised Neverland

Sarazanmai

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Precure is always a weird edge case of being "old," because series are eligible based on when they finish airing rather than when they start.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
This was a pretty bountiful year for anime I enjoyed, and ranking the list was actually pretty difficult past number 1.

1. Machikado Mazoku
This was a stellar anime which introduced me to an amazing manga. It is a comedy, obviously but that doesn't stop it from tackling more serious issues. The characters are cute, but they are more than just blobs of moe, having problems both small and large. This was undeniably the anime of the year for me.

2. How Heavy are the Dumbells You Lift

A solid edutainment anime that features adults as characters in addition to the high schoolers. It has encouraged my wife and I in our fitness endeavors and has undoubtedly helped improve our lives. This made it a strong contender for number one except for it having too much deliberate non-plot related fanservice, making it impossible to recommend to non-anime adjacent friends and family. If this had been toned down it could have edged out even Machikado Mazoku, because even though I objectively enjoyed that more, Dumbells has actively improved both my and my wife's lives, and being able to recommend it could have helped others as well.

3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War

The OP of Kaguya-sama is one of my favorites of all time. I grew up on James Bond films, and while I've mostly grown out of them, the OP was a refreshing blast from the past. Two dorks try to get the better of each other episode after episode, complete with a dramatic narrator gimmick that was used well and never seemed to fall flat.

4. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2

This was an incredibly well constructed anime. It has amazing battle scenes, but makes you feel bad that Mob has to fight at all. The characters are flawed but genuine, and the whole series has been a treasure.

5. My Roommate is a Cat

This is the anime that reminded me the most of Barakamon this season. This heart-filled slice of life focuses on an adult author who adopts a cat he finds while visiting his parents' grave, and how caring for a pet can change a person's life.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Didn't watch all that many shows this year, but there were a few that I enjoyed.

1. Kaguya-sama

The rest, in no particular order
Bang Dream S2
Hitoribocchi
Lord El-Melloi II Case Files
Symphogear XV

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
1. Mob Psycho 100 2

It's brilliant

2. Sarazanmai

Somehow Ikuhara's most wholesome show

3. Children of the Sea

The most beautiful anime I have seen

4. Ascendence of a Bookworm

Yay shoujo isekai

5. Hitoribocchi

Just very nice? More polished than Granbelm which stumbled at the last hurdle

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Well, 2019 was the year I became a crotchety old man. Most of the anime I watched left me feeling "Well, that was OK, I guess..." But, we need a top five for the year so here goes:

1. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
This was the one show this year that amazed me and made me rethink my policy of not giving out 10/10 scores to ongoing stories. It also solidified Attack on Titan's #1 position on my anime-of-the-decade list. This season managed to nail the hype and desperation of the manga perfectly, even improving some parts. The studio managed to turn an episode I was dreading (serum-bowl) into one of the best episodes of the show, with voice-work so solid that I, a filthy dub-watcher, would recommend the sub every time. Both in theme and narrative, this season closes perfectly; answering long-standing questions the audience slavered for while still leading to more questions and a conclusion that will likely be delivered (in manga-form) in 2020. I hope that whichever studio picks this up off of Wit's shoulders can deliver the same spectacle that we've become accustomed to.

2. Mob Psycho 100 II
I have to admit, I liked the first season a bit better, in large part due to the fact that the final arc of this season felt like a rehash of the final arc of last season. That being said, Mob is still Mob (and Reigen is still Reigen!) and you're getting a quality work anyways. From the stellar animation to the great characters to the humor that is actually funny, Mob Psycho delivers in top form. Even though the final arc of this season felt weak, from what I have heard from manga-readers the next arc is 100% my jam, so I am hoping as hard as I can that it gets a season 3. Come back, Mob!

3. The Promised Neverland
A great premise with a unique conflict. This is, in my limited opinion, the best ongoing shonen title. It forgoes the usual formula and instead presents a situation so tense you can feel the hairs on your neck raising. While I do think the anime directing suffers due to some bizarre choices (the rule against characters having internal monologues seems taken too far), which makes for some weaker scenes and payoffs, this was still the winter show I most looked forward to every week. Watch it!

4. How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift?
♫Onegai Muscle!♫ The infectious energy of the OP transfers into the characters each episode, and the result is the best of what CGDCT shows can offer. Anime comedies are usually oil to my water, and yet this show still managed to make me laugh often. And hey! The exercise advice was pretty solid, too! The only reason this isn't higher on my list is because I thought that the latter half got a bit too predictable in its routine, but even that was decent.

5. Vinland Saga
Disclaimer: I have not read the manga. As such, it seems this show was a victim of the hype surrounding its release. I watched it, I liked it, but certain emotional scenes just didn't have the intended effect on me. Thorfinn's motivations seemed unnecessarily circuitous, and Canute's arc, while satisfying, also came suddenly and at a time when the show's animation budget noticeably degraded. I still liked watching Vinland, and I really liked the historical setting, so I would totally watch a second season. But when something comes billed as a masterpiece, I can't help but feel disappointed that it didn't grab me harder.

What else did I watch this year?
Watched and Finished Tier: Kaguya-sama: Love is War, O Maidens In Your Savage Season, Lord El-Melloi Case Files, Wasteful Days of High School Girls, Machikado Mazouko / The Demon Girl Next Door
Checked Out, But Not For Me Tier: Joshi Kausei, Miru Tights, Endro~!, Demon Slayer, Astra: Lost in Space, Fate / Babylonia
Tried To Finish It Man But Nope Dropped Tier: Magical Senpai, Ao-chan Can't Study, Isekai Quartet, Magical Spec Ops Asuka, Cautious Hero

Shows That Came Out This Year That I Want To Watch And Will Get To Eventually™:
Carole and Tuesday (this would probably have ended up on my top 5 if it hadn't been in Netflix jail, I'll consider it part of 2020's offerings)
Chihayafuru (waiting until its finished its run to binge it)
Fruits Basket (same as Chihayafuru)
Dr. Stone (same)
My Hero Academia S4 (same)
Quintessential Quintuplets
Real Girl
Given
Kono Oto Tomare
Senryuu Shoujo
Boogiepop
Dororo

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

No particular order because the ones at the top were just too close to each other.

Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me
One of the few shows I actually rewatched later on after finishing it. I tried showing this to friends and almost all of them jumped ship pretty quickly, which is fair. The one who did manage to watch it described it as "looking you straight in the eye as it keeps turning up a dial labeled 'Criminal Conduct' and never flinching".

Kimetsu no Yaiba/Demon Slayer
Gripping shonen with all the trappings and jokes that entails, despite Zenitsu's usual screeching. Top notch animation and music, even if near the end a little exhaustion started to set in from constant cliffhangers.

The Promised Neverland
An excellent show about mentally traumatising children and everyone trying to outsmart everyone else. A constant cavalcade of beautiful, horrified faces.

Beastars
Impressive CG work coupled with a strong story. I ended a few episodes by slowly exhaling and going "...Fuuuck". Highly recommended to be sure, even though I still have to finish it.

Vinland Saga
Watching the journey from an angry ineffectual kid to a much angrier much more effective kid. Surprisingly well-researched, with excellent writing and an art budget the size of france.

Honorable mentions:
Dumbbell, Sarazanmai, My Roommate is a Cat, Dr. Stone

I also wanted to watch Hitoribocchi, but made the mistake of deciding to watch it unsubbed. My skills are not up to par yet, and that reflected itself in my motivation to watch it.

Eliza fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 29, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

weak year for me, i feel like i'm short a few standout shows despite trying out more stuff than usual

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
it's very funny and uses its shaft dna really well. probably the first and last time i'll have a romcom in the aoty slot

2. Hitoribocchi
a step above most 4koma anime in both comedy and character development

3. Machikado Mazoku
same as above but takes a few episodes to get there

4. Sarazanmai
the only ikuhara series i've seen but it was a good first impression

5. Astra Lost in Space
this spent the last couple episodes overexplaining and overresolving itself which lost it a lot of good will, but everything up until that point was fun and i love how brazen some of the twists are. was not really expecting it to be more of a mystery box series than a space survival series, but I enjoy those so that's fine.

honorable mentions to Granbelm, Mob Psycho s2, Ascendance of a Bookworm

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - With stuff like My Hero Academia proving that a well-produced shounen adaptation can survive months-long gaps between seasons, I was wondering when it would happen again. The story is a bit of a slow burn, but the characters are wholesome and I love them. The production itself is an absolute labor of love and it shows.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War - This is up there with shows like Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun and Nichijou now when I think of comedy. The source material was already hilarious, the adaptation to anime has elevated it even further. The acting in this one is phenomenal.

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
- There's nothing I can say about this show that hasn't been emphatically stated everywhere already. It's a masterpiece. Please watch it.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
- And this one is just goofy fun. There's some weird poo poo and the pacing gets all whack in the last quarter, but overall it's just harmless, wholesome, no-nonsense fun.

and since PROMARE is listed, I'm going to put that as a fifth title. You don't need to be under the influence of anything to just be captivated by the vibrant beauty of this movie. The plot is immensely stupid, but openly invites you to just pretend that it isn't. Maybe someday Trigger will get the whole package figured out, or maybe they're finding adequate success in sheer spectacle, I just know I support them either way. Also the dub has Crispin Freeman yelling at Johnny Young Bosch like it's 2008 in the best way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Malsangoroth posted:

5. Vinland Saga
Disclaimer: I have not read the manga. As such, it seems this show was a victim of the hype surrounding its release. I watched it, I liked it, but certain emotional scenes just didn't have the intended effect on me. Thorfinn's motivations seemed unnecessarily circuitous, and Canute's arc, while satisfying, also came suddenly and at a time when the show's animation budget noticeably degraded. I still liked watching Vinland, and I really liked the historical setting, so I would totally watch a second season. But when something comes billed as a masterpiece, I can't help but feel disappointed that it didn't grab me harder.
I think most people calling it a masterpiece are speaking with manga hindsight in mind, yeah. Without getting too deep into spoilers, the anime has not yet hit the divisive, but ultimately excellent (arc nickname)Farmland Saga, which happens after the arc the anime is wrapping up. And then the arcs following that, up to the current storyline, are all extremely good and also have a definite change of tone(still generally serious, but with good humorous moments). It gives the initial arcs a lot of positive, rock-solid foundation-building for many of the characters. Basically, the general consensus is "it was great before, but it's only gotten better since". Or, to put it another way, the entire anime up until now has been an end of prologue-type scenario. So, definitely look forward to season two, I certainly am.

Really, the two seasons I'm looking forward to the most are Attack on Titan's final season, which is gonna be loving wild to see animated let me tell you and I pray they have the budget for it, and Vinland Saga's second season. I suppose I'm also looking forward to Reincarnated as a Slime's second season because I've had it hyped up to me so much, and the manga is just starting to inch into that part of the story, which is...different from the rest of the series thus far, let's say. Knowing nothing past that part, it will be nice to see it animated.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Attack on Titan's final season

Did the manga end?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Did the manga end?

It's in the endgame.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I only finished five series this year and I rated all of them a 7 besides one, so:

1) BEASTARS
2)Carole and Tuesday
3) Kimetsu no Yaiba
4) Sarazanmai
5) Yakusoku no Neverland

I don't know that I particularly liked Neverland, but I didn't dislike it so it makes the list.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 29, 2019

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
1. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
I love anime that has a richly detailed plot with tons of continuity, where it's obvious that the author just put a ton of thought into planning everything out from the beginning. Speaking of which...

2. Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door
It starts out as a fluffy slice of life show, but then the plot starts moving. While the show is just cute girls doing cute things, it's also setting up plot elements and doing subtle world building. It manages to pull off multiple tones, where the magical is always grounded in the mundane, and ordinary things are dramatic.

3. The Promised Neverland
Now that I'm making this list I'm seeing a trend in my own tastes. A meticulously crafted plot, endearing characters, and pacing pitched just right so you can make up your own fan theories along the way. Also supernatural elements and top notch voice acting.

4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Came for the Chika dance, stayed for the teenagers overthinking relationships they weren't in.

5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
Not the best Jojo part, but it definitely has it's high points.

Honorable mentions that made me laugh a lot:
Kemono Michi: Rise Up
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
The Konosuba movie that doesn't seem to be on the list

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 29, 2019

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Going in alphabetical order:

Ascendance of a Bookworm
Didn't like the first episode, but it picks up after that. Being book crazy, sickly and living as a child of illiterate dirt poor peasants in pre-printing press medieval times makes for a surprisingly entertaining tale that dodges a lot of the usual isekai nonsense to focus on what's actually fun and interesting: World Building. I like books.

Beastars
A bizarre story of predators and prey that live together in a dysfunctional society while making each other miserable. Some good drama, endearing characters and another good CG anime that shows off some of the strengths of the medium. I've got a soft spot for drama club.

Granbelm
It kind of struggled reaching some of its earlier heights in the end, but this had some really good screaming, fun colourful visuals, absurd magic robot bullshit and magical girl drama. An interesting spectacle with some nice moody scenes.

Hitoribocchi
Good adaptation of a good 4koma. Always fun to watch and basically comfort food for the soul.

JoJos Bizarre Adventure: Part 5 Golden Wind
I like BruBrus Bizarre Adventure a lot. It's all style, little sense and I wouldn't have it any other way. Not really something that's recommendable to people that aren't in the Jojo hole already, though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I’m gonna snipe the first post by saying Actors is aoty

Maybe I’ll elaborate when I get to watch the last episode

I can elaborate now.

Is it possible to write about Actors without spoiling its core conceit? I don't think so, but I'll do my best.

There's a certain type of anime I love watching for the thrill of never being able to guess what happens next. Usually, these are soap opera-esque melodramas, but I'd put Actors in this category too. And Actors is very different.

Disregard any summaries you may find about this show; they're all one big lie by omission. By all appearances, Actors is a slice-of-life about boys who like to sing, but even early on, there are signs that something weird is going on. The town is encompassed by a towering white wall that no one questions. People occasionally spot mysterious white ghosts hanging around. There are an increasingly number of suspicious stray cats. Sometimes, a guy opens a door in an underground secret lab and finds himself immediately back on the beach.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1211425077633277952/pu/vid/640x360/Wb0ynAMMIU3gnF4_.mp4

Here's the part where I spoil episode 5: A couple of kids find out about an MMO that takes place in an exact replica of their school, and every student is included as an NPC. Paying members have a customizable cat avatar to navigate the MMO in, while free players only get a formless white shadow that is unable to interact with the world and can only communicate with other players. But as you might have guessed, this MMO and the school are in fact one and the same. Actors is about an MMO, but entirely from the perspective of the NPCs. Over time, a few of these NPCs learn their world is not all that it appears to be. (Some of them are just dumb though.)

Actors is overall pretty uneven. Its animation often looks cheap and uninspired. The acting is not especially noteworthy. The episodes that focus on the boys just hanging out can run dull easily. But its core premise is perhaps one of the most unique I've seen in anime recently, and there's enough runtime spent on it to keep me engaged and engrossed all the way to the end.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

5) Kaguya-sama
4) Lord El-Melloi II
3) My Roommate Is A Cat
2) Symphogear XV
1) Mob Psycho 100 Season 2

I think this is the first time since I started posting here that Ive watched more than 5 anime from the current year and had to actually cut some off the list. Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kaguya-sama, Isekai Quartet and ENDRO! were all still amazing, but the competition seemed pretty strong this year.

vvv e: Adjusting because of great news.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 30, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Iruma-kun is continuing for another cour so it's not on the list this year. you could swap in another show if you want all five votes to count

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

My top anime of 2019!

2) Golden Wind
1) Mob Psycho 100 S2

And... that seems to be it. I've checked all my streaming service histories and other nonsense but... yeah, apparently those are the only anime shows I've watched this year. That feels weird! I did watch a few episodes of FMA: Brotherhood (which I had not seen before and should get back to) but that's not a 2019 show anyway so :shrug:

Even though I've been lurking regularly I guess nothing really jumped out at me enough to want to watch, though my last half-year or so has been rough in such a way that I spent much of my free time doing very little - so there's probably some I would've watched that I didn't for that reason. I guess it might be worth checking out some of the others listed here now that I'm doing better.

While I didn't pick five, I suspect those would be my top picks if I had watched more. MP100 is really, really good. While Golden Wind isn't my favorite Jojo part, it's still got some great moments. Plus, I'm just a big JJBA fan, so I readily admit I have bias on this one.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Dumbbell/Danberu was the most enjoyable anime I watched this year, which makes it the best in my book. And it encouraged a lot of people to get into fitness, or at least, into shape! It's probably a truly life-changing anime if you think about it. A life-changing anime about girls working out. Definitely a must-watch.

Must... most... most muscular!

Honorable mentions to Golden Wind (it's still the weakest JoJo part, but they did a great job with it as always) and Kimetsu no Yaiba (if Zenitsu didn't bring it down anytime he's onscreen, I'd be interested in watching more than one season).

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

When do the polls close?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

uhhh midnight Pacific time

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And on Saturday, Jan 11

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will assume orv saw the date in the op, i just didn't set a time during jan 11 prior to...now

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

I can elaborate now.

Is it possible to write about Actors without spoiling its core conceit? I don't think so, but I'll do my best.

There's a certain type of anime I love watching for the thrill of never being able to guess what happens next. Usually, these are soap opera-esque melodramas, but I'd put Actors in this category too. And Actors is very different.

Disregard any summaries you may find about this show; they're all one big lie by omission. By all appearances, Actors is a slice-of-life about boys who like to sing, but even early on, there are signs that something weird is going on. The town is encompassed by a towering white wall that no one questions. People occasionally spot mysterious white ghosts hanging around. There are an increasingly number of suspicious stray cats. Sometimes, a guy opens a door in an underground secret lab and finds himself immediately back on the beach.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1211425077633277952/pu/vid/640x360/Wb0ynAMMIU3gnF4_.mp4

Here's the part where I spoil episode 5: A couple of kids find out about an MMO that takes place in an exact replica of their school, and every student is included as an NPC. Paying members have a customizable cat avatar to navigate the MMO in, while free players only get a formless white shadow that is unable to interact with the world and can only communicate with other players. But as you might have guessed, this MMO and the school are in fact one and the same. Actors is about an MMO, but entirely from the perspective of the NPCs. Over time, a few of these NPCs learn their world is not all that it appears to be. (Some of them are just dumb though.)

Actors is overall pretty uneven. Its animation often looks cheap and uninspired. The acting is not especially noteworthy. The episodes that focus on the boys just hanging out can run dull easily. But its core premise is perhaps one of the most unique I've seen in anime recently, and there's enough runtime spent on it to keep me engaged and engrossed all the way to the end.

Actors probably won't make my top 5, but it was real interesting in ways I totally didn't expect going in. Anyone thinking they might maybe be interested upon reading what Squark has here should check it out for sure.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
1) Lord El Melloi - watched I believe 9 out of 12 episodes, the furthest i've made it into an anime in years

2) Given - wasn't actually that into it but somehow made it 5 of 12 episodes

3) Wait I think I watched all of Machikado maybe? Didn't like it as much as El Melloi though

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i will assume orv saw the date in the op, i just didn't set a time during jan 11 prior to...now

I did not. Gives me time to watch... one more show

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Its k-on

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I have barely watched any anime this year so the only show I can really vote for is Hi Score Girl. The OVAs that came out this past March were the high point of the show and while the second season slowed down a bit it was smart to end it where it did to not drag it out any longer.

I just found Hi Score Girl so charming and nostalgic. I also thought it has been one of the best romances I have ever seen an a anime, which does not say a lot but, but counts for something. I loved seeing the time pass and telling by video game releases.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
1. Beastars - Initially I avoided this, since I generally can't seem to find CGI anime appealing, but the hype convinced me to give it a try, and I got used to the choppy feel after a few minutes (still feel like motion blur would help). Turns out it was the best show of the year by miles and miles. Fantastic music, unique atmosphere, intriguing world, wonderful voice performances. So glad it's getting another season, although maybe I should just dive straight into the manga instead.
2. Run With The Wind - Remarkable that they managed to make a 23 episode series out of a single novel, but it never felt dragged out, and beautifully covers all the running bois, with a really powerful stretch of episodes toward the end. Delightful production all around.
3. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 - Incredibly animated fights, on top of a solid story. Not sure what more you can want.
4. Vinland Saga - Being from Iceland made this one hard to ignore, and I'm glad they put so much effort into making it. Kind of feels like the protagonist could have used some proper development, however, considering the beefy episode count.
5. Ascendance of a Bookworm - To be honest, I'm not even sure how good the anime is, but I'm such a huge fan of the original web novel that I'm just overjoyed it's bringing more attention to this amazing work, and people seem to be liking it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

darkgray posted:

4. Vinland Saga - Being from Iceland made this one hard to ignore, and I'm glad they put so much effort into making it. Kind of feels like the protagonist could have used some proper development, however, considering the beefy episode count.

24 is beefy now?

How the times change.

But yeah, the focus for development was much more on Cnut and Askelad, rather than Thorfinn.

Manga spoilers: the next big arc is all Thorfinn dealing with his life being completely destroyed. Tons of development there.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Zwiebel posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm

I need to say thanks for pointing this out, it never even blipped on my radar. This is right up my particular alley - interesting worldbuilding, strong plotting, and a sort of limited scope that makes the stakes that much more important. Definitely one of my favourites for the year now.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Heres my list. Didn't really watch too much from current anime year, mostly adaptations.

5. Symphogear XV The end of symphogear for now. This season was pretty emblematic of the show as a whole, with ups and downs (and some real pretty animation)

4. My Roommate is a Cat Enjoy Cat. A comedy/drama that really reminded me of Barakamon

3. Hitoribocchi no ○○ Seikatsu I really enjoy reading the manga, so it was pretty nice to see a quality adaptation

2. Kaguya-sama Same as above. The Chika dancing ed was a nice memorable anime-only moment

1. Mob Psycho 100 II Your life is your own.

Honorable mention goes to machikado mazoku.

Shows I plan on watching at some point in the future: beastars, run with the wild