Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5. hugtto precure

a weak ending cant change how good a lot of the middle episodes were

4. case files of el melloi ii

had that horny eyepatch girl

3. bang dream season 2

cg was hit or miss and it had some random side content that wentn owhere because it had to get every character in but tae's arc was really well done

2. symphogear xv

had some writing issues but the animation quality on display and the energy of it made up for it

1. granbelm

the action wasnt great and referencing the tomino shows people don't like isnt as clever as it thinks it is but the dialogue and characters are fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

W'z

I don't think I've seen a GoHands thing from this particular era of their stylistic "evolution" but ofc I did see the HandShakers memes. W'z is often garish and weird, they could only license/compose one DJ song for their DJ protagonist to play all season, and while the story is thankfully standalone for non-HS watchers like me, it's not particularly great or full of good characters. But this show and its stupid 3d camera, color filters, and frequently out of place CG are just so, so endearing to me. Nobody else is making anything that looks like this! I just get so entranced by it and for every three things that don't work you get something that does and it just makes me wish for more weird style choices to propagate across all anime, though I won't wish a GoHands virus on the industry as a whole. And again, a show with an OP that slaps.

whew. in retrospect i guess i would still say it was kind of a weak/bad year for me, and not a lot of my shows feel necessarily "good" by a more ~objective~ standard. but i had a good time watching them, and i guess those are the parts of this whole thing i will continue to value, even if it's probably weird when i can like admit a positive experience with W'z or Boogiepop and not have a lot to back it up. :sweatdrop:
coppelion actually looks pretty good imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I'm just gonna float out here in my comfy shounen zone.

Also, 5ch had Hi Score Girl top 2? What?
shockingly the internet forum thats mostly old japanese nerds liked the anime that was mostly 80s/90s video game nostalgia

edit: also iunno if hi score girl 2 covered the ending but i wanted to say that the ending of hi score girl is absolutely incredible

they do the 'the girl is getting onto the plane that takes her away and the guy is rushing to make it before she leaves because hes had a last minute burst of courage, but what happens is that the spirit of guile from street fighter flash kicks the plane to cause wing damage that forces it to land almost immediately after taking off which buys the protagonist time to make it before she leaves