Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
This was a pretty bountiful year for anime I enjoyed, and ranking the list was actually pretty difficult past number 1.

1. Machikado Mazoku
This was a stellar anime which introduced me to an amazing manga. It is a comedy, obviously but that doesn't stop it from tackling more serious issues. The characters are cute, but they are more than just blobs of moe, having problems both small and large. This was undeniably the anime of the year for me.

2. How Heavy are the Dumbells You Lift

A solid edutainment anime that features adults as characters in addition to the high schoolers. It has encouraged my wife and I in our fitness endeavors and has undoubtedly helped improve our lives. This made it a strong contender for number one except for it having too much deliberate non-plot related fanservice, making it impossible to recommend to non-anime adjacent friends and family. If this had been toned down it could have edged out even Machikado Mazoku, because even though I objectively enjoyed that more, Dumbells has actively improved both my and my wife's lives, and being able to recommend it could have helped others as well.

3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War

The OP of Kaguya-sama is one of my favorites of all time. I grew up on James Bond films, and while I've mostly grown out of them, the OP was a refreshing blast from the past. Two dorks try to get the better of each other episode after episode, complete with a dramatic narrator gimmick that was used well and never seemed to fall flat.

4. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2

This was an incredibly well constructed anime. It has amazing battle scenes, but makes you feel bad that Mob has to fight at all. The characters are flawed but genuine, and the whole series has been a treasure.

5. My Roommate is a Cat

This is the anime that reminded me the most of Barakamon this season. This heart-filled slice of life focuses on an adult author who adopts a cat he finds while visiting his parents' grave, and how caring for a pet can change a person's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU