Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not a super memorable year compared to 2018, honestly, but still enough here to be glad about.

1.)Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV - not the best show that aired this year, but appeals to me specifically more than just about anything else I watched. Despite a more rushed pacing than I would have preferred, delivered solid-to-great resolutions for a cast of characters I really adore, had some of my favorite songs in the franchise, and had some of the best action Sakuga I saw all year, and the best in the franchise. Good endings are important.

2.) Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 - The best show I watched this year. The most immaculately produced shounen anime I've ever seen, executing on thematic material with intelligence, humor, and deceptively profound compassion.

3.) Vinland Saga - I was very leery of this adaptation coming in because I ended up mostly disliking studio WIT's work on The Ancient Magus Bride despite really loving that manga, but despite some clear midseason production struggles they've held it together pretty well this time. Well enough not to hold back another incredible piece of source material, anyway. The voice acting in particular might be the best I've heard all year. Akio Ohtsuka's Thorkell is an utter delight.

4.) Machikado Mazoku - Biggest surprise of the year. Starts off as pretty typical Kirara-kei, yuri-adjacent 4-koma fluff fare, and it still is very much that, but it sneaks up on you with a dedication to longer-form character arcs delivered with a low-key sense of attention to worldbuilding. Really wonderful character dynamics. Really hope it gets a second season some time, especially if they can tighten up the production values a bit.

5.) Hitori Bocchi - Wa Ha Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mob!