Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

5) Attack on Titan Season 3 - Do I even need to say anything? Everyone knows what AoT is and whether they're on board or not. As for me, the sole viewer that hasn't read the manga, I'm committed to riding this out to the end as each season has been stronger than the last.

4) O Maidens In Your Savage Season - Mari Okada is powerful.

3) Lupin the Third: Fujiko Mine's Lie - Koike can't be stopped. The 2010s have indisputably been the best decade for Lupin since the 80s and Koike has seen various degrees of involvement with the greatest of them. His character design work on The Woman Called Fujiko Mine ushered in a breath of fresh air compared to the stale aesthetics that had been a plague on the series for many years, and I've been pleased that he took from that style when he got his turn in the director's chair. Fujiko Mine's Lie doesn't change much from the formula established in Jigen's Gravestone or Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood. The eponymous character gets involved in a feud with a gimmicky (yet memorable!) assassin, cue stylish action. But that in itself is significant; prior to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, the most emphasis on Fujiko being a part of the main plot and resolution of anything outside the various tv series was a movie in which she had amnesia and thus acted in a way that was completely out of character for most of its run-time. So in light of how rare it can be, it's refreshing as hell to see an entry where she gets to take out the villain while the rest of the gang takes on a more low-key role. There's not much else to say. Like everything Koike helms the direction is impeccable with a lot of attention to small details, resulting in something more memorable than most Lupin films despite clocking in at under an hour. I'm excited as hell to see what Koike does next with Lupin. Here's hoping that the 2020s continue to be great for the series.

2) Sarazanmai - It's official, 2019 has been the strand genre's best year to date.

1) Mix: Meisei Story - I've looked at statistics in a variety of places and the one thing that remains consistent wrt Mix is that barely any anime-likers on the English-speaking side of things watched it. I've said enough over the course of this year about how Mitsuru Adachi is one of the best out there at writing sibling relationships that feel genuine, and how he's able to switch gears from comedy to drama and everything in-between without feeling even a little out of place. So instead I'll try a different approach and just say: Mix was a show that was watched by very few in the west but those that did tended to rate it very highly, and I hope that makes some folks curious enough to find out why.

I wish I could have put the new Yuasa movie on my list because I'm sure I'd have loved it but fansubbers have disappointed me yet again on the movie side of things. It has been out for several weeks and there are still no subs, boo to that. I also wanna give a shoutout to the Lupin III tv movie Goodbye Partner. They brought back the tv movies and this time around it didn't suck because the solid action director Jun Kawagoe was let out of his cage and allowed to direct an anime again (as an aside when you consider the CG Lupin movie that makes three Lupin movies in 2019. Wow!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

Y'know as much as I disliked the second season I actually really liked the third season. Here's to everything going to poo poo according to the manga readers.

I'm gonna be a believer in it ending well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Did you see that Orphan Subs released an entire new Adachi show

Whoa.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In light of an English version of Ride Your Wave becoming available and being the true best anime of 2019 I have to revise my list.

1) Ride Your Wave
2) Mix: Meisei Story
3) Sarazanmai
4) Lupin the Third: Fujiko Mine's Lie
5) O Maidens In Your Savage Season

Sorry Attack on Titan, you're great and all and I didn't want to cut you but you were too outclassed to roll with the biggest of the big boys. Better luck next season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

Is it just me or were both threads kinda quiet this year

Both threads wound up just being a repository for lists, barely any discussion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looking over what I picked I feel it was an extremely strong year for me since all my choices were by creators (mostly directors but a few writers too) with really distinct voices such that I couldn't imagine anyone else handling them, people whose work I'm almost always excited to see.

(Given the timing I completely understand how it panned out that way but it's a strange feeling nonetheless to be the only person to vote for a new Yuasa anime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Congrats to all the fans who made it possible.