Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:siren: :siren: Voting Ends *at Midnight, Pacific time* on Saturday, January 11th. :siren: :siren:

Rules
- Pick up to 5 series from the list.
- Rank them if you want.
- Write something about your choices!
- Feel free to discuss shows, but don't be a prick about people picking certain things or ranking them however they do.

I'm continuing to primarily use localized titles for shows when available, so keep that in mind if you don't immediately see what you're looking for, voting using the JP title is fine. For shows that seem to have more popular/simple un-loc titles I have included them as well. If you notice anything missing from the list, please post about it so an edit can be made. Movies/OVAs overall exist in a weird grey zone where they aren't always readily available, but feel free to vote for them. As before, an edit log will be maintained at the bottom of the list.

code:
Ace Attorney Season 2
A Certain Magical Index III
A Certain Scientific Accelerator
Actors: Songs Connection
Africa Salaryman
AFTERLOST / Shometsu Toshi
After School Dice Club
Aikatsu Friends!
Aikatsu Friends! Kagayaki no Jewel
Amazing Stranger
Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai! 3
Ao-chan Can't Study!
Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Assassin’s Pride
Astra Lost in Space
Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
BAKUMATSU Crisis
Bananya and the Curious Bunch
BanG Dream! S2
BEM
Bermuda Triangle ~ Colorful Pastrale
Boogiepop Never Laughs
B-Project! * Zecchou Emotion
Bungo Stray Dogs Season 3
Captain Tsubasa (2018)
Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018)
Carole & Tuesday
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
Children of the Sea
Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy
Cinderella Girls Gekijou CLIMAX SEASON
Cinderella Nine
Circlet Princess
Cop Craft
Date A Live III
Demon Lord, Retry!
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Dimension High School
Domestic Girlfriend
Dororo
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
Dr. Stone
ENDRO!
Ensemble Stars!
Fairy Gone
Fairy Tail: Final Series
Fire Force
Fruits Basket (2019) First Season
Future Card Buddyfight Ace
Girly Air Force
given
GRANBELM
Grimm's Notes The Animation
Hakata Mentai! Pirikarako-chan
Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie?
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World / Choyoyu
Hinomaru Zumo
Hi Score Girl Season 2
Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu
Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo! Season 2 / Hey, Your Cat Ears Are Showing! Season 2
How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
Hugtto! Precure
Hulaing Babies
If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
Inazuma Eleven: The Seal of Orion
Isekai Cheat Magician
Isekai Quartet
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? S2 / Danmachi S2
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
Joshi Kausei
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Kakegurui XX
Kandagawa Jet Girls
Karakuri Circus
Katana Maidens ~ Mini Toji
Kemono Friends 2
Kemono Michi: Rise Up
kemurikusa.
Kengan Ashura
KING OF PRISM - Shiny Seven Stars -
Kiratto Pri-chan
Kochoki
Kono Oto Tomare!
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Seiran / LoGH Remake Season 2
Levius
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai
Manaria Friends
Meiji Tokyo Renka
Midnight Occult Civil Servants
Million Arthur 2
MIX
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet
Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Mo Dao Zu Shi Season 2 / Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation Season 2
My Roommate is a Cat
Nakanohito Genome [Jikkyouchuu] 
Namuamidabutsu! -UTENA-
Nobunaga teacher's young bride
No Guns Life
Null & Peta
O Maidens In Your Savage Season
One-Punch Man Season 2
ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?
Pastel Memories
Piano no Mori Season 2
Pokemon Sun & Moon
PROMARE
PSYCHO-PASS Season 3
Radiant
Rainy Cocoa sideG
Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl
Re:Stage! Dream Days
Real Girl Season 2
Ride Your Wave
Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan
Rising of Shield Hero
RobiHachi
Run With The Wind
Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou
Sarazanmai
Senryu Girl
Shin Chuuka Ichiban
Shonen Ashibe Go! Go! Goma-chan Season 3
Sounan des kua? / Are You Lost?
Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit / Tokunana
Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth
STARMYU 3
Stars Align
Strike the Blood III
Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off!
Sword Art Online: Alicization
Symphogear XV
Teasing Master Takagi-san Season 2
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
The Helpful Fox Senko-san
The Magnificent KOTOBUKI
The Morose Mononokean Season 2
The Price of Smiles
The Promised Neverland
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Thunderbolt Fantasy: Bewitching Melody of the West
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
Try Knights
Tsurune
Ultramarine Magmel
Val x Love
Vinland Saga
VIRTUALSAN - LOOKING
W'z
Wasteful Days of HIgh School Girls
Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me
Welcome, Chitose
We Never Learn: BOKUBEN
Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?
Wise Man's Grandchild
Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 7
Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World
Z/X: Code Reunion
Zoids Wild
Edit log:
12/26/19 7:18PM - Added Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo! S2 and Mo Dao Zu Shi S2
12/26/19 7:58 PM - Added Beastars because the final episode has aired
1/4/20 9:12PM - Added Thunderbolt Fantasy Movie which I forgot to do earlier this week. lol

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Hey Your Cat Ears Are Showing isn't on the list so disregard if I can't vote for it

might've missed it because mal lists it as the chinese title i had never seen before so i assumed it was one of the many unsubbed chinese shows that seem to be on there

s1 is a 2018 show but s2 would qualify for 2019 and i will add it to the list. on that note i should add MDZS s2 as well

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Julias posted:

Also is anybody making a Worst/greatest disappointments of 2019 thread this year?

namtab generally does the worst thread, and he should have this same list barring the edits i haven't moved over yet

so i would either assume he has yet to get to it (seems like a busy year for him) or just pester him on discord about it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

starting this list feeling a bit ambivalent about the year in retrospect, but perhaps dissecting my feelings on stuff will bring the enthusiasm back

1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - I just love the manga, and the greatest treat by far was getting this voice cast behind the characters, especially my faves Zenitsu and Inosuke. While the rough lines of Gotoge's art were sanded down, the show does not want for visual fidelity or flourish and it was just a drat treat every week to see ufotable's interpretations of action scenes, comedy bits, etc etc. I'm just hoping we'll be so blessed as to get a full series adaptation with this creative team largely unchanged, because the later arcs have even more stuff I want to see them tackle.

2. O Maidens In Your Savage Season - While the humor and expressiveness were the initial draws for this one, it really hits my soft spot for emotional teen things. The relatable aspects that set off vicarious anxiety or sadness, seeing the issues from 10 years removed and being able to laugh with/at or root for the kids involved, etc. This was my absolute watch every week as it aired and while it just kind of ends, it was a wonderful ride.

3. Dororo - This one was kind of an uphill battle. At times it felt too hand-holdy/overly expository, and also fell on some rather lame style choices like b/w flashback episodes. It also felt a bit like the show was chiding Hyakkimaru a bit excessively for clawing his way out of a horrible situation that was no fault of his own, but for my own sake I kinda toned down the closeness of my reading after a point to just enjoy the strong points of the show. There were great action highlights throughout the show and the central relationship between Hyakki and Dororo is built so, so well. Dororo especially has an amazing VA performance and thinking about them just makes me melt...sweet child. Most of the OP/EDs for this were straight bangers but it's really the second one that tears me apart with the lyrics and visuals.

4. Boogiepop Never Laughs - A reverse Dororo situation here, I loved this show until the final arc kinda lost me, but overall my experience was positive and I value the stuff it was doing. The overall anachronistic storytelling was confusing but always made a satisfying click as things fell into place during the finale of each arc, and the world of Boogiepop is just so interesting to me as someone unfamiliar with the novels or prior anime. It seems like the rather unremarkable character design is generally leveraged against the show, but I guess I just appreciate the novelty of it tbh. It's also a great backdrop for the otherwise mysterious/surreal goings-on, and the simplicity of the designs allows for significant freedom when it comes to expressing action or aforementioned surreal aspects to the series. Perhaps I'll jump into the books and find them a more enriching experience, but as far as a visual adaptation goes this was a real interesting treat to follow, since even in the final arc it continued to deliver in that regard. A shout out to the lowkey but perfectly fitting soundtrack as well.

5. Bungo Stray Dogs - It's more Bungo. Just like S2 this one has a flashback arc, and I guess I'm just really partial to those in the context of this series...though having cute kid versions of Dazai/Chuuya probably helps. For some reason this season felt a bit slight, but it didn't lack for bombastic conflicts or even some nicer downtempo emotional/comedic moments. I'm ready for more, c'mon!!

Honorable mentions to Fire Force, GRANBELM, Mob S2, RobiHachi, Sarazanmai, SAO Alicization, and The Price of Smiles for not totally imploding despite being the most mediocre thing I may have ever seen. Now here is the part where I highlight one specific HM because I need to write more than just its name.

W'z

I don't think I've seen a GoHands thing from this particular era of their stylistic "evolution" but ofc I did see the HandShakers memes. W'z is often garish and weird, they could only license/compose one DJ song for their DJ protagonist to play all season, and while the story is thankfully standalone for non-HS watchers like me, it's not particularly great or full of good characters. But this show and its stupid 3d camera, color filters, and frequently out of place CG are just so, so endearing to me. Nobody else is making anything that looks like this! I just get so entranced by it and for every three things that don't work you get something that does and it just makes me wish for more weird style choices to propagate across all anime, though I won't wish a GoHands virus on the industry as a whole. And again, a show with an OP that slaps.

whew. in retrospect i guess i would still say it was kind of a weak/bad year for me, and not a lot of my shows feel necessarily "good" by a more ~objective~ standard. but i had a good time watching them, and i guess those are the parts of this whole thing i will continue to value, even if it's probably weird when i can like admit a positive experience with W'z or Boogiepop and not have a lot to back it up. :sweatdrop:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Precure is always a weird edge case of being "old," because series are eligible based on when they finish airing rather than when they start.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Iruma-kun is continuing for another cour so it's not on the list this year. you could swap in another show if you want all five votes to count

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

uhhh midnight Pacific time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will assume orv saw the date in the op, i just didn't set a time during jan 11 prior to...now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

dogsicle: I assume the Thunderbolt Fantasy movie is fair game for nomination, I remember seeing in in a previous best anime thread.

yeah, that one just slipped by over Christmas and i hadn't been reminded it exists to watch it/add it to the list, will get that taken care of today

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

from 85 voters, the 2019 AOTY results are

code:
Unweighted Top 10:

1. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 (42 votes)
2. Kaguya-sama: Love is War (31 votes)
3. Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu (22 votes)
4. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (21 votes)
5. Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door (19 votes)
6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (15 votes)
7. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?, Beastars, Vinland Saga (13 votes each)
8. Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note (11 votes)
9. Run With The Wind, O Maidens In Your Savage Season, Sarazanmai, Ascendance of a Bookworm (10 votes each)
10. Symphogear XV (9 votes)
code:
Weighted Top 10:

1. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 (114 points)
2. Kaguya-sama: Love is War (74 points)
3. Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door (45 points)
4. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (32 points)
5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (30 points)
6. Beastars (28 points)
7. Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu (27 points)
8. Run With The Wind (26 points)
9. Symphogear XV, Vinland Saga (25 points each)
10. Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note (24 points)
tally of votes is here, i did grab the votes of stuff that i forgot to put in the list (sorry, looks like i missed a bunch and never added them retroactively)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just did the same stuff i always do, ignore some of the stuff i watched that already is getting high praise in favor of voting for stuff that i just found some value/fun in watching that i didn't expect, usually due to or in spite of apparent flaws

which was basically just my middle three i guess. i totally blanked on posting in gorf's usual thread but my bigger anime experiences of the year were all toxx stuff that was old lol. i'm already feeling a similar indifference with jumping on the treadmill of seasonal anime so it might just be one of those periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my refusal to align with more than one popular show every year does bring interesting results