Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I did a top 10 somewhere else, I'll try to sort this into a best 5, but it's a bit arbitrary. Good year for anime.

Things that would be equally likely to be in the top 5 as anything else, if I'd made this list in a slightly different mood:
How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift? - Genuinely made me start exercising more.
Ascendance of a Bookworm - somehow the only real isekai on this list, by virtue of being different. Actually takes its premise seriously in a way most of the genre doesn't, and goes somewhere very different with it.
The Case Files of Lord something something Zeppelin something - That kid from Fate Zero grew up to be both Snape and Sherlock Holmes, pleasing certain parts of the internet. A detective show where everyone's a wizard. Manages to demonstrate that mystery stories can still be compelling when the truth is certain to be nonsense. Also very pretty.
Vinland Saga - Unusual historical setting for anime. Manages to strike the right balance with its "these violent people are monsters but also very cool to watch" thing.
The Promised Neverland - Tense, claustrophobic thriller. With kids, for kids.

5. Beastars - This one's weird melodrama, which is good. Anime should be weird. Has no idea what any real world animal is like, but that's ok.
4. Kemurikusa - A weird one (see Beastars). Seems to start in the final part of a longer story. "what if Kemono friends, but edgier?" isn't a fair summary, but might help explain the appeal.
3. Mob Psycho 100, season 2 - more Mob, possibly even better than the first season. I'd have to rewatch the whole thing to be sure.
2. Dr Stone - Arguably the actual best isekai show on this list. Demonstrates a real love (and understanding) for science, not just its results, even if it does get a little rear end-pully to keep up the pacing at times. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for anything where some crazy supernatural thing happens and someone asks "okay, but where did the energy come from?".
1. Machikado Mazoku - Silly gay demon show makes me happy. Adorable, and the best comedy of the year.

Honorable mentions that weren't as good as other things: Symphogear was more Symphogear, thus good. Demon Slayer and Fire Force were both extruded shonen action product, elevated by amazing direction, plus the latter is about a guy with rocket feet. All those comedy isekai shows - the wrestling one, the "average" one, the paranoid one and I guess Iruma-kun counts too - kept me watching and deserve a mention together, if not separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU