Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Well, 2019 was the year I became a crotchety old man. Most of the anime I watched left me feeling "Well, that was OK, I guess..." But, we need a top five for the year so here goes:

1. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
This was the one show this year that amazed me and made me rethink my policy of not giving out 10/10 scores to ongoing stories. It also solidified Attack on Titan's #1 position on my anime-of-the-decade list. This season managed to nail the hype and desperation of the manga perfectly, even improving some parts. The studio managed to turn an episode I was dreading (serum-bowl) into one of the best episodes of the show, with voice-work so solid that I, a filthy dub-watcher, would recommend the sub every time. Both in theme and narrative, this season closes perfectly; answering long-standing questions the audience slavered for while still leading to more questions and a conclusion that will likely be delivered (in manga-form) in 2020. I hope that whichever studio picks this up off of Wit's shoulders can deliver the same spectacle that we've become accustomed to.

2. Mob Psycho 100 II
I have to admit, I liked the first season a bit better, in large part due to the fact that the final arc of this season felt like a rehash of the final arc of last season. That being said, Mob is still Mob (and Reigen is still Reigen!) and you're getting a quality work anyways. From the stellar animation to the great characters to the humor that is actually funny, Mob Psycho delivers in top form. Even though the final arc of this season felt weak, from what I have heard from manga-readers the next arc is 100% my jam, so I am hoping as hard as I can that it gets a season 3. Come back, Mob!

3. The Promised Neverland
A great premise with a unique conflict. This is, in my limited opinion, the best ongoing shonen title. It forgoes the usual formula and instead presents a situation so tense you can feel the hairs on your neck raising. While I do think the anime directing suffers due to some bizarre choices (the rule against characters having internal monologues seems taken too far), which makes for some weaker scenes and payoffs, this was still the winter show I most looked forward to every week. Watch it!

4. How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift?
♫Onegai Muscle!♫ The infectious energy of the OP transfers into the characters each episode, and the result is the best of what CGDCT shows can offer. Anime comedies are usually oil to my water, and yet this show still managed to make me laugh often. And hey! The exercise advice was pretty solid, too! The only reason this isn't higher on my list is because I thought that the latter half got a bit too predictable in its routine, but even that was decent.

5. Vinland Saga
Disclaimer: I have not read the manga. As such, it seems this show was a victim of the hype surrounding its release. I watched it, I liked it, but certain emotional scenes just didn't have the intended effect on me. Thorfinn's motivations seemed unnecessarily circuitous, and Canute's arc, while satisfying, also came suddenly and at a time when the show's animation budget noticeably degraded. I still liked watching Vinland, and I really liked the historical setting, so I would totally watch a second season. But when something comes billed as a masterpiece, I can't help but feel disappointed that it didn't grab me harder.

What else did I watch this year?
Watched and Finished Tier: Kaguya-sama: Love is War, O Maidens In Your Savage Season, Lord El-Melloi Case Files, Wasteful Days of High School Girls, Machikado Mazouko / The Demon Girl Next Door
Checked Out, But Not For Me Tier: Joshi Kausei, Miru Tights, Endro~!, Demon Slayer, Astra: Lost in Space, Fate / Babylonia
Tried To Finish It Man But Nope Dropped Tier: Magical Senpai, Ao-chan Can't Study, Isekai Quartet, Magical Spec Ops Asuka, Cautious Hero

Shows That Came Out This Year That I Want To Watch And Will Get To Eventually™:
Carole and Tuesday (this would probably have ended up on my top 5 if it hadn't been in Netflix jail, I'll consider it part of 2020's offerings)
Chihayafuru (waiting until its finished its run to binge it)
Fruits Basket (same as Chihayafuru)
Dr. Stone (same)
My Hero Academia S4 (same)
Quintessential Quintuplets
Real Girl
Given
Kono Oto Tomare
Senryuu Shoujo
Boogiepop
Dororo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU