Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I apparently finished 25 shows this years.

Top Five

Run With The Wind: Great characters, simple but amazingly effective plot. I'm still amazed that a relatively minor show like this got two full cours, but I'm glad that it did, as it makes the slow but steady growth of the team and its individual members that much more satisfying to watch.

Demon Slayer: I'm not usually a big shonen action person, but Demon Slayer deserves credit for being consistently well-written, well-produced, and (with some minor exceptions) well-paced. Fun characters, a distinctive and stylish visual style, and a good mix of action, exposition, and comedy beats.

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2: A very strong second season. Managed to significantly expand its scope and cast without ever forgetting about its core characters, and did an amazing job of growing these characters in a way that felt organic and earned.

Kaguya-sama: I found the source manga a bit too repetitive, but this adaptation was a delight. Snappy and inspired direction, good comedic timing, and an all-round solid performance from the cast.

Hitoribocchi:Just a really sweet, lighthearted comedy.

Honorable Mentions

Kono Oto Tomare!: I can't really explain why I enjoyed this show as much as I did. It's generic, predictable, cheaply made, and often embarrassingly sincere, and yet it somehow manages to be an enjoyable mix of character drama, comedy beats, and club stuff (even if the show at times seems almost comically averse to showing any actual koto playing). The final episode made me tear up more than any other anime episode this year.

Stars Align: It's a real shame that this was cut in half by the production company, and that we might never see the originally planned second half. Without any resolution, the drama ends up feeling heavy-handed and repetitive. Still, it's a really well-made show, and I love the character designs. Really crossing my fingers that we get an ending somehow, that might retroactively lift this into the top five.

Astra Lost in Space: I realize some people did not care for this one, and I'll admit that the ending was kind of a wet fart, but I found everything up to the ending an enjoyable ride. The first half of the season has a pleasant planet-of-the-week feel, and a solid chain of cliffhangers and dramatic revelations in the second half cemented it as one of my favorites of the season.

Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl: Looked like a dime-a-dozen light novel adaptation with supernatural elements and harem potential at first glance, but managed to sell it by keeping its supernatural elements firmly rooted in well-written character drama. Not the most inventive show this year, but confidently told and produced.

O Maidens In Your Savage Season: Equal parts hilarious and awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU