Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I dropped No Guns Life over a trans panic joke.

It's probably not as bad as wall-to-wall vile garbage like Shield Hero or whatever, but I don't watch those in the first place. It's the one that disappointed me the most.

Cautious Hero was also really lame and a waste of a decent comedic premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember I watched the Bermuda Triangle anime because I wanted card game lore but all I got was a dull and stale slice of life series about mermaids that weren’t even idols. Sasuga Glasslip director.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The first season of SAO Alice was absolutely gorgeous, like some parts of the first season of SAO.

This second season has been total trash to look at and the story is too nothing to even be mad about.

Most disappointing (I watched all of all of these. I wish they were better):

1. One-Punch Man Season 2 I actually liked the story for the most part, but holy hell its just garbage to look at.
2. Danmachi s2. Danmachi s1 was cool. This was the kind of garbage you would have expected s1 to be.
3. Carole & Tuesday It was a good show but there's like a 6 episode tournament arc that reuses the same reaction shots like 400 times and I thought I was losing my mind. Also didn't really like the ending and the story was less than a sum of its parts.

Most avoided:

Kemono Friends 2: gently caress you
Real Girl Season 2: I don't know how far I got into s1 but it was a lot, then I had the sudden realization that the show hated me. Just absolutely miserable and ridiculous and not in a fun way.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People itt posting wataten and forgetting uzumaid lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Namtab posted:

People itt posting wataten and forgetting uzumaid lol

Uzamaid was 2018 :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I forgot!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Most Disappointing

Alicization's opening episode made it look like it was going to be a sincere and deep exploration of morality and axioms, but that angle fell off a little and the usual Annoying SAO Bullshit started to crop up. It wasn't awful or anything, but I didn't watch a lot of anime this year.

Most Avoided

I avoided not only Shield Hero but also Shield Hero discourse, so I'm voting for it twice

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Worst that I watched at least some of:

Bermuda Triangle ~ Colorful Pastrale - I enjoy Vanguard and Spongebob and LOVE idols, so you'd think this'd be the show for me, but it was dull all the way through. Only the faintest hints of Vanguard lore and barely any idoling, watched it all the way through smGDh

the mom MMO isekai - I watched a few eps 'cause of a cute gif spaceflower posted in discord (he warned me, I knew going in that it wasn't representative). It wasn't terrible, just aggressively mediocre, though it had all the signs of going Bad Places.

The Quintessential Quintuplets - I watched a few eps of this 'cause it got tons of good fanart, but it didn't seem to have anything to elevate it above any other harem, and I got bored.

Dishonorable mentions:

GRANBELM - it wasn't bad, but I rapidly lost interest once Anna was out of the picture.
Aikatsu Friends! Kagayaki no Jewel - I enjoyed it, but it's by far the weakest season of any Aikatsu I've seen. Idols fighting climate change with the power of song should be more interesting than this! Where's my SPACEKATSU, dammit!

Worst that I watched maybe one ep of:

Assassin's Pride - just boring
Kemono Friends 2 - I avoided this on principle, and by all accounts I was right to do so
Shield Hero - I read a bit of the manga some years back, so I knew to avoid this one

Dishonorable mention:
Magical Senpai - the i☆Ris OP was good, but the ep or two I watched was boring

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Worst I watched some of:

One Punch Man 2: The fact that this looked worse than a regular JC Staff production was just depressing. It was painful to look at, not just by the standards set by the first series but by anime in general. Just god awful.

Boogiepop Never Laughs: ... And the director of OPM 1 was instead making this incoherent garbage. I never watched the original boogiepop and the utter tedium of the few episodes I watched of this made sure that I never will.

Sarazanmai: i don't think i've ever seen another anime as physically unpleasant to watch as this. i've enjoyed ikuhara in the past, but gently caress this.

Most nope'd:

Nobunaga teacher's young bride: read the title

How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno: drink piss

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?: motherfucker

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
One-Punch Man Season 2 I tried so SO hard to give it a chance despite what we knew was coming. At first I was like okay, maybe it's not insanely good animation like we enjoyed, but it's passable. That fell apart real quickly as the first episode ended.

The only takeaway I have is that I'm glad it's universally regarded as garbage and I hope the franchise hears the full brunt of anonymous Japanese fans cursing it out. I would rather the series sit in time out until they can get a good studio to do it again than waste the upcoming good material on the same weak production. I don't even care about the whole tournament thing and the Suiryu scenes getting butchered. I'm glad they stopped before Elder Centipede and all the cool fights coming up in the Monster Association arc. Most of all I want to see someone good handle the Flashy Flash fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JC staff has done great work, its not that the studio is bad and madhouse is good, the issue is the One Punch Man season 2 was slapped together with whatever staff they could find to try and capitalize on Season 1's popularity, while season 1 was a director with a ton of connections happening to find a period of time when a bunch of fantastic animators were free and able to come work on it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are japanese fans even particularly down on it? my impression among american fans was that people disliking it is kind of a vocal minority as well: broad strokes people were more interested in the comedy than the animation showcase aspect and i'm not sure average joe anime viewer particularly cared about the animation quality difference

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The average person definitely noticed, it's such a huge gap that even an average person can notice, but I mean, the average person manages to watch the One Piece anime weekly and that's managed about seven frames of animation per episode since the timeskip. I'm pretty sure One Punch Man S2 still did decently, even if it didn't take the world by storm like S1.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
OPM2 definitely suffered from the multi-episode arc. S1 had stuff happen briskly and really gave it a madcap sense.

I probably would have preferred if they did a Pulp Fiction thing where the subplots meet up somewhere, devoting one or two eps to resolve what were season-long arcs.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

shield hero - One of my mobage did a collab so I was curious about the MC and drat I have so many regrets reading the wiki. Just one of the worst examples of LN available.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I only have two

One Punch Man Season 2: A massive letdown in quality compared to Season 1, even as someone who is willing to put up with trash it hurts what had a great start.

Azur Lane: A season based off a gacha mobile game where the plot is a mess in the game as well. Lot's of off model animation and episodes that move at a break neck pace and still barely advance whatever the arc is supposed to be. Only good episode is 2 minutes of Edinburgh and Akashi's wild ride. Season 1 has been so badly mishandled that the show is on haitus for 3 months to rework the last 2 episodes supposedly Kaiju Kaga is loving cool, watch episode 1 and stop there.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 7, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shield Hero really is one of the most insidious series in the mainstream, and I canceled my crunchyroll sub because they helped fund the anime adaptation. I gave the manga way too many chances because it was recommended to me and I had heard about it a lot(and had heard the telltale "don't worry it gets better, keep at it" line, spoiler, it does not). I know multiple people who watched it and were like "oh yeah it's a lot different and edgier than the stuff like sword art online or log horizon" and I would just rattle off examples of it being heinous in the worst ways in response. I don't know what it is about the series that it feels like a lot of people don't recognize how bad it is until the things are explicitly pointed out to them

- the crux of the story is a false rape accusation
- the literal child slave harem
- forcefully branding basically a newborn with a slave brand as she screams in agony and tries to resist
- the child soldier he picked up at the start suddenly aging up to "romanceable" form(notably, she turns physically his age, not mentally, the series specifically points this out)
- apparently there's a point later on where he gets his hatred and spite pushed out of him, becoming a relatively normal person, only for the child slave harem to go NOOOO WE LIKED HIM THE WAY HE WAS, he gets reverted back, and thus he never has to change

whoever coined the name Incel Hero was right on the money.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 7, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

Shield Hero really is one of the most insidious series in the mainstream, and I canceled my crunchyroll sub because they helped fund the anime adaptation. I gave the manga way too many chances because it was recommended to me and I had heard about it a lot(and had heard the telltale "don't worry it gets better, keep at it" line, spoiler, it does not). I know multiple people who watched it and were like "oh yeah it's a lot different and edgier than the stuff like sword art online or log horizon" and I would just rattle off examples of it being heinous in the worst ways in response. I don't know what it is about the series that it feels like a lot of people don't recognize how bad it is until the things are explicitly pointed out to them

- the crux of the story is a false rape accusation
- the literal child slave harem
- forcefully branding basically a newborn with a slave brand as she screams in agony and tries to resist
- the child soldier he picked up at the start suddenly aging up to "romanceable" form(notably, she turns physically his age, not mentally, the series specifically points this out)
- apparently there's a point later on where he gets his hatred and spite pushed out of him, becoming a relatively normal person, only for the child slave harem to go NOOOO WE LIKED HIM THE WAY HE WAS, he gets reverted back, and thus he never has to change

whoever coined the name Incel Hero was right on the money.

Someone is going to be a smartass and point out shield hero is older than incel terminology but both stem from the same deep, seething resentment at people with an easier life than yours (and apparently the most privileged people in the world are attractive women, because, uh, ????)

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Bottom Three

One-Punch Man Season 2: I could have lived with the obvious drop in animation quality if the story had been remotely decent, but season 2's plot was a repetitive, joyless, pointless slog. The tournament arc in particular felt like it was introduced for no reason, then repeated the same two scenes for eight episodes, and finally ended in the dumbest way possible. Watching this shortly after season 2 of Mob made it painfully clear just how much better Mob is, especially in terms of its characters. Saitama's one-joke shtick felt far more tired than it did in season 1, and none of the characters grew in any way.

No Guns Life: An intensely dumb action sci-fi series masquerading as a stylish noir thriller. Like others, I was drawn in by the first episode, but soon grew increasingly annoyed at the endless exposition and generic plotlines. No Guns Life was so in love with its (admittedly cool) setting that it would not stop explaining this setting to you, which is a great way to quickly destroy any sense of mystery or tension. The final episode in particular - a self-contained one-off with no connection to the main plot and no real resolution - was the final bit of proof that the people working on this simply had no idea what they were doing.

Kabukicho Sherlock: Badly written, poorly animated, utterly forgettable. I only bring it up because typing up the bit on NGL reminded me that there were somehow two shows in one season with an offensive trans character. In both Kabukicho Sherlock and NGL, the main character's landlady is an over-the-top campy transvestite, and in both shows they're depicted as a sex pest and a borderline rapist. It's such a lazy trope, and watching two badly written shows check the same lovely checkbox at the same time really stuck out to me.

Dishonerable Mentions

Index 3: A complete mess. Went through the increasingly stupid source material at such a breakneck pace that it completely lost me.
Carole & Tuesday: Overly saccharine and predictable, with a designed-by-committee feel to it that felt cynical and insincere.
Cautious Hero and Mom Isekai: One-joke isekai-with-a-twist shows that got old halfway through the first episode.
Fire Force: Some cool character design and a decent setting, but a lot of the directing and plot pacing was just godawful.
Kemurikusa: The slow pace and overly grim plot could have been bearable if it hadn't been for that loving male character.
RobiHachi: Pretty good start, but ran out of steam quickly, also some really questionable depictions of a gay character.
The Price of Smiles: War is heck, you guys.

Most Avoided

Kemono Friends 2

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kabukicho isn't on the list for 2019 because it's 2 cour.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like usual I'm (mostly) more about talking disappointments than the actual worst things because there's not much to say about those.

5) Astra Lost in Space - Not a bad anime but the finale soured me on it between its dull & lengthy explanation of one of the mysteries that felt aimed at the cinemasins type of crowd (it seemed to care more about justifying the existence of a wormhole than it cared about some of the cast) and a very long epilogue that added nothing to what the characters already talked about doing once they got home. I wouldn't even list this if it ended when they finally landed back home.

4) Human Lost - I don't hate it but I sat through this film and the only emotion it elicited from me was bewilderment at the way it tenuously drew on No Longer Human to make a dull sci-fi action movie. I guess that bewilderment was enough to make me not regret seeing it? But outside of that it sure ain't good. Like the other Polygon Pictures stuff I've seen it's full of meaningless infodumping and confusingly choreographed action that, at its absolute best, has the quality of a mid-budget PS3 jrpg cutscene.

As an aside, my experiences with watching anime in theaters is usually pretty negative due to v noisy audiences and I hate that so much (I did not see Promare but a friend of mine did and told me that I, personally, would have had a real bad time so I'm glad I dodged that bullet!). Human Lost had the best audience I've ever had for an anime film. I assume they were just so in awe of what they were witnessing that it rendered them speechless.

3) Cinderella Nine - I feel bad putting this on here since I really went into it wanting it to be good, but the production values are too shaky and the writing came off like it was just going through the motions. If it were marginally better at either it wouldn't be here but alas.

2) Oresuki: Are you the only one who loves me? - At first I thought it could have been a weaker take in the same ballpark as what something like, say, My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU handled. But then it quickly shifted gears so much that it abandoned its central premise, both the characters and the writers seemed to have forgotten what happened in the first few episodes and it became a bad harem anime with a dire sense of humor instead. It also ends unresolved, with a final episode scheduled to come out in July to wrap it up but I sure don't think I'll have it in me to care once it's finally out. The finale also kept cutting to a shot of the book Kokoro and I get what its intent was but it just made me think about how I have now watched two bad anime in 2019 that sure loved to make strange and/or unsubtle comparisons to classic lit about sad Japanese men.

1) High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World - I keep hoping that someday the colonialist elements embedded in a lot of isekai become part of ~the discourse~. But even if I could ignore that aspect it's just an aggressively boring power fantasy.

I generally don't actively avoid things because that's for cowards but I didn't even consider watching a single episode of Kemono Friends season 2 because the folks that made the original were done dirty.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Julias posted:

Kabukicho isn't on the list for 2019 because it's 2 cour.

Oh lol, even more glad I bailed after five episodes now.

Just OPM Season 2 and NGL for me then, I didn't watch enough of any of the other shows to include them in the top three.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I dont watch a lot so my biggest disappointment was After School Dice Club because they didnt put enough focus on the main characters: the board games.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

cave emperor posted:

Kabukicho Sherlock: Badly written, poorly animated, utterly forgettable. I only bring it up because typing up the bit on NGL reminded me that there were somehow two shows in one season with an offensive trans character. In both Kabukicho Sherlock and NGL, the main character's landlady is an over-the-top campy transvestite, and in both shows they're depicted as a sex pest and a borderline rapist. It's such a lazy trope, and watching two badly written shows check the same lovely checkbox at the same time really stuck out to me.

Oh it got so much worse. (warning: very gross) It turns out Jack the Ripper is the trans woman who the dumb glasses detective was crushing on. She cuts the wombs out of her victims and eats them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 7, 2020

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
More of a let down than bad

1 - Kengan Asura
Like berserk it takes a violent manga with fantastic art and replaces it with ugly 3dcg characters. It's better on all front than 3d berserk but it's still rear end.

2 - One punch man s2 for reasons already stated by others.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sindai posted:

Oh it got so much worse. (warning: very gross) It turns out Jack the Ripper is the trans woman who the dumb glasses detective was crushing on. She cuts the wombs out of her victims and eats them.

y i k e s

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Worse shows

3. Reincarnated as a slime
It started off reasonably well, with a slime associating with a dragon, and it soon turned into a show where nothing interesting happens at all. Bad because it's so boring.

2. Board game club
I really don't want to watch a board game club anime for their characters, but that's what this show turned into. The board games themselves were hardly utilized, and those they showed were all boring games.

1. One Punch Man Season 2
I feel like if this was a stand alone it won't be number 1, but coming off the hype of S1 and the manga itself, it turned into the biggest disappointment I've ever faced watching it.

Dishonorable Mention

Make my abilities average - It's sad that it was still almost carried by the strong characterization of the main 4, and the super good OP, but boy did the creators hate the source material.

Avoided show

Rising of the Shield Hero - gently caress this show.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Worst (watched):
3: Granbelm: I'm not sure I'd call this bad, exactly, but I generally don't watch three episodes of shows I'd consider truly bad. It suffers from confusing (albeit pretty) fights scenes. The setting is also underdeveloped in a particular way that really annoys me, where the plot points the writers deem important are repeated ad nauseam while the confusing/potentially interesting aspects go unexplained. You've already told us that the Princeps is the only true mage in the world, show! Just explain why the people fighting for the power of the Princeps are all female, or what exactly the "true mages" pre-Magiaconatus could do that the current "descendants of mages" can't. I can't hate this show, though, because the characters' intense emotions somehow resonate despite the vague stakes.
2: The Promised Neverland: I dropped this when I realized they'd completely messed up Sister Krone's characterization. The sense of atmosphere was good, but I couldn't get past that. I guess that makes me a nitpicky weirdo, but it's my personal list, after all.
1: Sword Art Online: Alicization: I'd forgotten about this despite watching a cour or so of it. Despite one rather tasteless scene, I didn't really hate the show (that's why I got through I got through a cour or so of it); I just found it rather bland.
Dishonorable mention: Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka. I subjectively enjoyed this more than Granbelm, but it's pretty tryhard, isn't it?

Most avoided:
3: Kabukicho Sherlock: Mostly on the basis of the spoiler in Sindai's post.
2: Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me: Korephilia has become an anime genre now, apparently.
1: Rising of the Shield Hero: This has already been covered pretty thoroughly.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I really didn't watch a lot of stuff this year

Worst Anime 2019

High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World - A boring isekai, this guy is a great politician, this guy is good businessman, this girl is ninja, oh there's probably magic.
Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka - It grim, it dark. The magic girl has PTSD, the nurse magic girl is a yandere lesbian. The twist is that the magic girl they thought died, didn't but they never tell the audience because I guess they think i can't infer a basic twist.
That time I got reincarnated as a slime - Overpowered slime except eventually it doesn't have to be a slime anymore. Isekais where the main character is stupidly powerful with no weakness is just masturbation, except this time with a weird colonialism twist where they introduce pure nippon culture, the men become stronger and the girls become ins anely sexy

Most Avoided Anime 2019

Rising of Shield Hero - Look like it's for angry incels, op
Wataten - Looks like it's for paedophiles, op

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Voting over, someone count them

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Think I've got this tallied right (no number means a single vote)

Dishonourable Mentions posted:

A Certain Magical Index III 2
Granbelm 2
Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai 2
Didn't I Ask You to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? 1
Rising of the Shield Hero 1
Aikatsu Friends! Kagayaki no Jewel
Carole & Tuesday
Cautious Hero
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
Fire Force
How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
Isekai Quartet
RobiHachi
The Price of Smiles
VIRTUALSAN - LOOKING

Most Avoided posted:

Kemono Friends Season 2 8
Rising of Shield Hero 5
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World 2
Isekai Quartet 2
Wataten 2
Assassin's Pride
Cinderella Nine
Danmachi S2
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
Granbelm
Hensuki
How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
Kabukicho Sherlock
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
Nobunaga teacher's young bride
Real Girl Season 2
Rifle is Beautiful
W'z
Why The Hell Are You Here, Teacher!?

Worst Anime of 2019 posted:

One-Punch Man Season 2 8
Rising of Shield Hero 8
No Guns Life. 5
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 5
Astra Lost In Space. 3
Boogiepop and Others. 3
Cinderella Nine 3
Cop Craft 3
Didn't I Ask You to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? 3
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka 3
Sword Art Online: Alicization 3
Bermuda Triangle ~ Colorful Pastrale - 2
Board game club 2
Carole & Tuesday 2
Cautious Hero 2
Danmachi S2 2
Demon Lord, Retry! 2
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? 2
Granbelm 2
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World 3
Isekai Quartet 2
A Certain Magical Index III
Arifureta
Azure Lane
B-Project! Zecchou * Emotion
Choyoyu
Circlet Princess
Fire Force
Isekai Cheat Magician
Kabukicho Sherlock
Kakegurui XX
Kandagawa Jet Girls
Kengan Asura
Magical Senpai
Oresuki
Pastel Memories
Sarazanmai
Senryuu Shoujo
The Promised Neverland
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Wataten
Why Are You Here Teacher
Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS

Top 3 Dishonourable Mentions (tied at 2 votes each)
A Certain Magical Index III -not that surprising considering it's probably the worst showing of the franchise
Granbelm - surprised by this one due to the early goon positivity.
Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai - this didn't look like much outside of the memes and gifs it was generating

Top 3 Most Avoided
1. Kemono Friends Season 2 - seems more due to the horrible way the OG studio was treated, but the show itself is a far cry from the first
2. Rising of Shield Hero - enough said
3. High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World

4 Worst Anime of 2019
1. One-Punch Man Season 2 and Rising of Shield Hero - a major disappointment and complete trash
2. No Guns Life and [b]That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - another mediocre show and one that, again, goons were positive on at the beginning before it became obvious the show wouldn't grow past its first few episodes.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 13, 2020

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
"High School Prodigies" and "Choyoyu" are the same show, so 3 votes for that one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Think I've got this tallied right (no number means a single vote)

Top 3 Dishonourable Mentions (tied at 2 votes each)
A Certain Magical Index III -not that surprising considering it's probably the worst showing of the franchise
Granbelm - surprised by this one due to the early goon positivity.
Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai - this didn't look like much outside of the memes and gifs it was generating

Top 3 Most Avoided
1. Kemono Friends Season 2 - seems more due to the horrible way the OG studio was treated, but the show itself is a far cry from the first
2. Rising of Shield Hero - enough said
3. Isekai Quartet and Wataten (tie) - surprised by IQ being at the same level as Wataten. IQ definitely did not live up to the premise but Wataten is complete trash. Season 2 of Quartet adding Incel Hero means it's completely irredeemable though.

4 Worst Anime of 2019
1. One-Punch Man Season 2 and Rising of Shield Hero - a major disappointment and complete trash
2. No Guns Life and [b]That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - another mediocre show and one that, again, goons were positive on at the beginning before it became obvious the show wouldn't grow past its first few episodes.

You missed my Dishonorable Mention vote for Asuka.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
/\ A few were very hard to distinguish between "dishonorable mention" or "worst anime." I put all the stuff where folks said they watched one episode and dropped it into the worst category, for instance.

Kytrarewn posted:

"High School Prodigies" and "Choyoyu" are the same show, so 3 votes for that one.

Fixed. Thank you.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 13, 2020

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Wataten! came right on the heels of Uzamaid, and got lumped into the same gross heap, unfairly, I think. The blunt synopsis sure doesn't help, and the early manga chapters are definitely more baity, but a lot of people wound up missing a really sweet show that makes a poor first impression.

Miyako comes across way more as someone on the spectrum with boundary and social cue issues. She has pure intentions and affection for Hana. She's just too anxious and awkward to communicate them without seeming creepy. It reminds me most of Kirie's relationship with both aspects of Umaru in Himouto!. By the end, even Hana gets that she's not a perv, just a girl who's really bad at making friends. The three girls, Hinata, Hana, and Noa are great in their own right and Hinata is one of my favorite characters from last year. She adores her big sister and does her best to help Miyako come out of her shell and face the world.

Wataten! is flawed, but it is not a show about a pedophile. If it weren't for the tired lolicon jokes, it would have been in the other thread with Hitori Bocchi.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Clitch posted:

Wataten! came right on the heels of Uzamaid, and got lumped into the same gross heap, unfairly, I think. The blunt synopsis sure doesn't help, and the early manga chapters are definitely more baity, but a lot of people wound up missing a really sweet show that makes a poor first impression.

Miyako comes across way more as someone on the spectrum with boundary and social cue issues. She has pure intentions and affection for Hana. She's just too anxious and awkward to communicate them without seeming creepy. It reminds me most of Kirie's relationship with both aspects of Umaru in Himouto!. By the end, even Hana gets that she's not a perv, just a girl who's really bad at making friends. The three girls, Hinata, Hana, and Noa are great in their own right and Hinata is one of my favorite characters from last year. She adores her big sister and does her best to help Miyako come out of her shell and face the world.

Wataten! is flawed, but it is not a show about a pedophile. If it weren't for the tired lolicon jokes, it would have been in the other thread with Hitori Bocchi.

what the gently caress is this

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
What is the opinion on new LOTGH. I binged all the regular episodes in a few months, loved all of it. But this new one? I am afraid to watch. Is it bad? Or would it just be bad if you grew too attached to the original.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clitch posted:

Even if this is true im not watching something with paedophile okes in to find out op

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

excellent bird guy posted:

What is the opinion on new LOTGH. I binged all the regular episodes in a few months, loved all of it. But this new one? I am afraid to watch. Is it bad? Or would it just be bad if you grew too attached to the original.

It's fine but it does run at a much brisker pace. Nicer battles but the political side isn't quite as fleshed out as the original due to the length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

everyone is hotter as well. stupid sexy mecklinger and oberstein