Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Game

System Shock 2 is over 20 years old now, so the graphics are uh mildly outdated. For this, we're running multiple mods to make the game look significantly better. The full list and instructions on how to install them are here, for the curious

The LP

As usual this will be a very casual LP, since there tend to be monsters trying to kick my rear end and distract me when I listen to logs, I've decided to subtitle all audio logs and plot relevant stuff. I skipped subbing the UNN recruitment guy because he has a ton of lines and none of them are really important.

Note that due to the casual nature and the inadvisable amount of alcohol I consume each session, I'm going to make a lot of mistakes. A lot of them I end up fixing and it's fine to point them out, but don't be that guy, alright?

Spoiler policy is to tag anything we haven't seen in a video yet. It's an old game but someone might be watching for the first time.

Episodes:

Playlist

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 1 - Everybody's A Little Goobly Sometimes
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 2 - What Is A Thot Compared To A Mind?
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 3 - Okay Dan, Move On
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 4 - I Don't Like You Either
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 5 - Eww Icky
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 6 - Ape Escape Motherfuckers
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 7 - The Abortion Episode
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 8 - 527 Steps Ahead
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 9 - He's Gonna Stay Mad
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 10 - Flipper
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 11 - Why Can He Pyrokinetikis
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 12 - Way Too Many Robots
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 13 - My Thinky Brain
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 14 - Woah, Ghost
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 15 - I'm So Sick Of Spider
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 16 - Rick And Backer
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 17 - Tnurtis
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 18 - Too Big Of A Chungus
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 19 - Might Be Teeth
Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 20 - The Big SHODAN

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Aw heck yeah, I've been waiting for this one since the first teaser you uploaded on Twitter. I didn't play System Shock 2 until 2015, and I look forward to the poo poo that can happen when you get some frankly crazy amount of booze in you.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I have been waiting for this, and I will thoroughly enjoy it. One of my favourite games, LP'd by one of my favourite Let's Players (and his fiance)? Yes please.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't believe how unbelievably rude this is right from the start. I'd never go psyboy, I always go full hackerman.

Also you're well aware that my brain doesn't make me smart, it makes me hurt.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Psiboys are for chumps and circlmastr and everyone goes to circlmastr's discord because I'm fun.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ready for some shodanfreude :pcgaming:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I went psyboy once. And I was super rude to robots and turrets. And then I went hackyboy, and I was even more rude. Argh, that hacking game... Still... Looking forward to more shenanigans, and don't let the small or quick gribbleys getcha, you pathetic creatures of meat and booze...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Thank you for showing off dancebot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, here's to a massive nostalgia trip. Amazing how this still manages to be a good game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
This game still remains in my top 10 list, despite it being 20 years old. IŽll be watching this LP quite happily, Danaru.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Cool, I'm deaf and I'm gonna watch this because you're subtitling stuff

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
God bless yellow spanner wrench :allears: gently caress you crowbar, you don't even have a bubble level!

Also if I remember right, I think Standard Weapons boosts wrench damages because video games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Also if I remember right, I think Standard Weapons boosts wrench damages because video games.
Yeah, just one more reason why Standard is by far the best weapon skill.
Ironically enough, though, for full-on wrenching you can't go wrong with playing psyboy because of all the buffs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This was the first actual horror game I ever played! I'll always love it for that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, just one more reason why Standard is by far the best weapon skill.
Ironically enough, though, for full-on wrenching you can't go wrong with playing psyboy because of all the buffs.
Oh my god. I just realized.

Dan declared he wants to rush energy weapons. But is also not going to be rushing for "Use my brain to recharge my gun" psychic powers.

I always wanted to love Energy, but I dimly recall it feeling like a huge pain in the rear end. Even though the Argon pistol is one of my favorite pew pew gun designs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Section Z posted:

Oh my god. I just realized.

Dan declared he wants to rush energy weapons. But is also not going to be rushing for "Use my brain to recharge my gun" psychic powers.

I always wanted to love Energy, but I dimly recall it feeling like a huge pain in the rear end. Even though the Argon pistol is one of my favorite pew pew gun designs.

It gets a lot harder later on due to chargers becoming scarce, but as long as you know where a charger is, you have effectively infinite ammo. Between the first and second sessions I remember that, so if you see me throwing away shotgun ammo, I eventually go back and get it :frogdowns:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

It gets a lot harder later on due to chargers becoming scarce, but as long as you know where a charger is, you have effectively infinite ammo. Between the first and second sessions I remember that, so if you see me throwing away shotgun ammo, I eventually go back and get it :frogdowns:

The limitation on how many laser shots you can fire is how many maintenance tools you have.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Another interesting bit: Both your wrench swing and the way the hybrids use their pipes are exact copies of Thief's melee animations since this is running on the Dark Engine. Except you can't parry, not that anyone ever parried in Thief.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Game is one of the greatest.

And scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice; SS2 is one of my favourite games of all time. Looking Glass did some good horror stuff - especially by late 90s standards. Thief 1 and 2 had some pretty scary parts too.

It's really weird to me to actually hear its music. I always turned it off. Eric Brosius's great audio design creates a spooky and effective atmosphere while you're creeping around this eerily quiet space-ship, and to have some pulsating drum 'n' bass or whatever kick in when an enemy spots you felt wildly inappropriate to me.

The music might actually be really good! It just seemed out of place. I should go have a listen to the soundtrack, just on its own. I don't think I've ever done that, come to think of it... Weird.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 2 - What Is A Thot Compared To A Mind?

I feel like hacking a monkey in half doesn't become science just because you're doing it in space. I hate this drat company.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EVERYTHING becomes science if you do it in space.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's science if you gave the monkey the ability to kill things with its mind.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the monkeys are here because Earth has poo poo like 'laws' and 'ethics boards', which space doesn't.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The Polito in the log you found sounds really different from the Polito over the radio. Same voice, entirely different attitude. But I guess she's just the kind of person who goes all abrasive and businesslike when there's important stuff to be done.

e. Okay the graphics jokes in this LP are really super funny. I laughed out loud at Polito coming off the side, trying to force her way over Delacroix.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 1, 2020

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hey, I'm a stupid nerd who cares about those perk-style upgrades! The "install two implants at once" upgrade is the main one I remember; it is incredibly useful.

Ah yeah, weapons with multiple ammo types and multiple fire-modes. :getin: SS2 was made back in the days when developers were allowed to make games with more buttons than will fit on a gamepad.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Antistar01 posted:

Hey, I'm a stupid nerd who cares about those perk-style upgrades! The "install two implants at once" upgrade is the main one I remember; it is incredibly useful.

Ah yeah, weapons with multiple ammo types and multiple fire-modes. :getin: SS2 was made back in the days when developers were allowed to make games with more buttons than will fit on a gamepad.

And this was the streamlined version of the monstrosity that was the first game's interface.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yeahhh I played System Shock 2 first and then wanted to go back and play 1, but I just couldn't get past the interface.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If Watts got ripped up during that autopsy when things were relatively "normal" on the ship, how long has he been in there? Were the mutants keeping him alive?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Seyser Koze posted:

If Watts got ripped up during that autopsy when things were relatively "normal" on the ship, how long has he been in there? Were the mutants keeping him alive?

From what I read, he got janked up two days before Goggles got thawed out, and only survived long enough to deliver his line because the autodoc bed he was laying on was keeping him alive. God drat what a lovely way to go.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dan made the right choice just open palm slamming the "Wrench gooder" button. I honestly can't even remember what the other options are, so clearly they must not have been that good anyways.

I am also a small child that loves seeing audio log portraits shoulder check eachother out of the way :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the bit in the system shock backstory where they were a standard cyberpunk dystopia then people found out that unregulated corporate bullshit almost ended the human race and they overthrew the corporations in a bloody revolution and re-established an actual government is one of my favorite bits ever.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Those things are totally monkeys, audiolog guy, not chimpanzees. The tails should be a big giveaway.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

Dan made the right choice just open palm slamming the "Wrench gooder" button. I honestly can't even remember what the other options are, so clearly they must not have been that good anyways.
I remember a few of them being utter wastes. There was one (Pack Rat, I think?) that added a whopping three slots to your inventory - an effect you could also achieve by raising your strength, which would have the added benefit of boosting melee damage and letting you equip heavier stuff.

To make matters even worse, I think one of the other perks just went ahead and raised your strength.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I think the bit in the system shock backstory where they were a standard cyberpunk dystopia then people found out that unregulated corporate bullshit almost ended the human race and they overthrew the corporations in a bloody revolution and re-established an actual government is one of my favorite bits ever.
A self-hypnotic defect in the R-grade unit is haunting the Von Braun: the self-hypnotic defect in the R-grade unit of communism.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

And this was the streamlined version of the monstrosity that was the first game's interface.

Mikl posted:

Yeahhh I played System Shock 2 first and then wanted to go back and play 1, but I just couldn't get past the interface.

The original System Shock came out before the modern standard mouse + keyboard control scheme for first-person games existed, so yeah... the controls were pretty arcane. From memory they were like in Ultima Underworld; moving, turning and looking up and down were all done by moving your mouse pointer to a particular part of your first-person view and then clicking/holding a mouse button. (The pointer would change shape to indicate what clicking would do.) It's as bad as it sounds.

On top of that, System Shock had stuff like a 3x3 grid with a paper-doll silhouette in it, representing your current stance. You could switch between standing/crouching/prone - in combination with leaning left/right - by clicking in the different grid squares. That's how I remember it, at least?

I tried the System Shock playable demo when it was new (this was in the days when "demo" vs "playable demo" was a useful distinction), and it was too much for me. I was too young, I think. I've never actually played the full game. (I did play and finish Ultima Underworld sometime back then, though.)

Thinking back on it, it was like first-person games were either controlled entirely with the keyboard (e.g. Wolf3D, Doom), or entirely(?) with the mouse (e.g. Ultima Underworld, System Shock). Using both mouse and keyboard at once - i.e. mouselook - was a revolutionary thing (used first in Terminator: Future Shock I think it was), and I remember it being difficult to adjust to. People - myself included - just didn't have that specific kind of co-ordination back then.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Wolf 3D had mouse as a default option, didn't it? Of course, that was with the mouse mapped to forwards/backwards and turning, with no keyboard necessary.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

System Shock 1 was a great game married to a batshit insane control scheme.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Wolf 3D had mouse as a default option, didn't it? Of course, that was with the mouse mapped to forwards/backwards and turning, with no keyboard necessary.

I don't know about it being the default - I honestly can't remember - but that does ring a bell. I think I tried it with the mouse once and said "no this is awful".

To move forward continuously you would have to keep picking the mouse up and moving it back to the bottom of the mouse pad (or desk or whatever). Although I suppose it was still the age of mice with balls rather than optical sensors, so you could do the flick-and-lift manoeuvre to keep the ball spinning in a particular direction for a while, I guess. Man... I remember that being an integral part of how I used to play games with mouselook, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

I remember a few of them being utter wastes. There was one (Pack Rat, I think?) that added a whopping three slots to your inventory - an effect you could also achieve by raising your strength, which would have the added benefit of boosting melee damage and letting you equip heavier stuff.

To make matters even worse, I think one of the other perks just went ahead and raised your strength.

Sadly none of the O/S upgrades give you straight boosts to your stats with the exception of one of them being "+2 Hack when hacking security computers". I say sadly, incidentally, because "+1 Strength" on an O/S upgrade would be better than some of the awful ones the game actually gave you. Pack Rat is indeed the one you're remembering which gives you 3 inventory slots and is indeed garbage, but there's also ones like "Get 8 Cyber Modules for picking this" and "Fill in the mini-map automatically up (but stops working eventually)" or "Slightly reduce poison and radiation damage".