Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm watching this episode and loving the mental image of the operative, wasted as gently caress on the alcohol he's been chugging to recover hit points since game start, stumbling around the cargo bays swearing incoherently at turrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Yeah I appreciate the combination of pretty thorough knowledge of and lack of reverence for the game.

e: a lot of folks like to jerk off about the Great Classics Of PC Gaming Ooh Aaah Deus Ex but a lot of them also suck poo poo at being good games and it's nice to see the game played from an irreverent and unimpressed perspective.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 7, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is about as reverent as I get, to be honest. About anything

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

One of my favourite things to do was to swap between a handful of laser pistols when facing down the mutants. The refire rate cooldown was per gun, so my cyber-dude was a walking laser machine gun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I only ever found the laser useful against robots, set to overcharge.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, I had no idea area transitions worked like that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I only ever found the laser useful against robots, set to overcharge.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Yeah I appreciate the combination of pretty thorough knowledge of and lack of reverence for the game.

e: a lot of folks like to jerk off about the Great Classics Of PC Gaming Ooh Aaah Deus Ex but a lot of them also suck poo poo at being good games and it's nice to see the game played from an irreverent and unimpressed perspective.
Speaking of reverence. I used to believe the hype about "Oh, Standard guns are just overpowered!" But over the years it just became obvious that no, that's just trying to defend some of the more bizarre results for the other weapon types. Standard weapons were just to boring to gently caress up.

Like, I think laser guns don't even get a bonus to cyborgs or some bullshit? In which case, "AP ammo hurts cyborgs good!" isn't the thing you should be mad about. Even if it always feels good one-shot killing protocol droids with overcharge :hellyeah:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 4 - I Don't Like You Either

I swear I am actually pretty good at this game.

...starting next episode

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I knew the goddamn laser pistol was in those cargo rooms! I knew it. Now if you just Modify the pistol once and then use that French Epstein device you found it'll get to Mod Level 2 and be a nice fallback ranged weapon the entire game, with double ammo capacity and improved damage.

I always liked the basic laser pistol as a sort of 'I need to kill something far away' weapon even if it doesn't do a ton of damage. Though the real enemy early on isn't ammo, it's maintenance tools and the way everything on this boat was manufactured by the lowest bidder and breaks or jams at the drop of a hat. That's actually a thing in all the fluff descriptions of the weapons if you look at them: lots of poo poo is still made by rear end in a top hat cyberpunk corporations and they don't give a gently caress about quality control because they have monopolies.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
I like how "they're mobilizing their *real* forces" leads into another generic hybrid enemy trying to hit you on your way out...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think going down a specific path during character creation (Navy, and then some other choices) gives you a laser gun right from the start of the game doesn't it? I think I remember that from one of my playthroughs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mikl posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think going down a specific path during character creation (Navy, and then some other choices) gives you a laser gun right from the start of the game doesn't it? I think I remember that from one of my playthroughs.
It's a Marine option (with +1 cyber stat on the side) yeah, but it also starts with 2/10 durability. So even if they wear down slower, that won't last long without blowing through a lot of early maint tools with regular usage.

Unless, you are loving insane like me. And started taking repair in chargen, the worst skill in the game. But I remember always feeling justified being able to fix my back pocket laser gun for cheap, even as I was planning on Standard weapons overall and going "Aw yeah, shotgun time-I forgot to upgrade standard weapons past 1 :downs: " Because I could still panic overcharge one-shot protocol droids rather than get blown up while fumbling for the AP ammo.

It's incredibly stupid skill spending wise, but also very cathartic to have even the world's worst laser in your back pocket long after you've got 40+ AP ammo hoarded.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 9, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Noscoping droids with overcharge is super cathartic, and that would certainly make the cargo bays less painful, but that would require playing as a Marine and my cyber affinity

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Noscoping droids with overcharge is super cathartic, and that would certainly make the cargo bays less painful, but that would require playing as a Marine and my cyber affinity

LP/Honor system makes any playthrough way more painful without extra cyber affinity if I'm remembering how bullshit Ice nodes get, yeah.

I'm too much of a coward to not hammer the quick load button after three failed hacks :negative:

Just like I'm too much of a coward to play without the minimap turned on. Which makes it even worse when I take a wrong turn anyways :downs:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That trick where you keep out of the line of fire of specifically the right arm of the big bot is something that worked extremely well in Thief 2, with its steam-powered "Children of Karras" robots. Pretty sure they used the same AI and the same/similar animations.

The thing is, they would still fire their weapon when their shot was blocked - even point-blank - and their weapon fired explosive cannonballs, so...

It always felt like kind of an exploit, but at the same time, they are robots in the setting, so you could argue that exploiting their AI would be a sensible thing for your character to do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At least the laspistol will kill the poo poo out of those loving protocol droids.

I hate those things more than almost any other enemy in SS2.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

That trick where you keep out of the line of fire of specifically the right arm of the big bot is something that worked extremely well in Thief 2, with its steam-powered "Children of Karras" robots. Pretty sure they used the same AI and the same/similar animations.

The thing is, they would still fire their weapon when their shot was blocked - even point-blank - and their weapon fired explosive cannonballs, so...

It always felt like kind of an exploit, but at the same time, they are robots in the setting, so you could argue that exploiting their AI would be a sensible thing for your character to do.

It's actually really funny to see how many models and animations and sound effects are reused, with slight differences, between this game and Thief 2. It's especially noticeable for me because I played the poo poo out of both.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

Unless, you are loving insane like me. And started taking repair in chargen, the worst skill in the game. But I remember always feeling justified being able to fix my back pocket laser gun for cheap, even as I was planning on Standard weapons overall and going "Aw yeah, shotgun time-I forgot to upgrade standard weapons past 1 :downs: " Because I could still panic overcharge one-shot protocol droids rather than get blown up while fumbling for the AP ammo.

It's actually Maintenance skill you want. More skill means more condition per tool means more shots you can fire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maintenance is one of those skills I can't imagine finishing the game without.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

It's actually Maintenance skill you want. More skill means more condition per tool means more shots you can fire.

Night10194 posted:

Maintenance is one of those skills I can't imagine finishing the game without.

Oh, definitely. Plus each rank gives you +10 energy max for everything. That's more time for your wrench gooder implant :buddy:

But I was a loving idiot who blew through too many tools with rank 1 maintenance in the past if I started with it, instead of waiting until I had at least 2 to fix anything I wanted to keep rather than replace. I also entirely forgot the loving rude bullshit that is "Surprise, you found a BROKEN laser pistol!" as seen in the last video. What the gently caress, game :argh:

I also remember old guides could also be kind of misleading about how important maintenance was, because there was almost always some hot take about "But why would you want more than minimal Maintenance? Just use the infinite durability version located in X" Though I could kind of see why that mindset took off when faced with the fact the EMP rifle needs 6 maintenance normally. That's way more expensive than settling for 4 to fix... literally everything else in the game?

Taking repair to start was as much to punish myself for not being responsible enough to deserve starting with maintenance :saddowns:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 10, 2020

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I only just noticed (or maybe forgot) the Tetracorp logo on the keypads. The ending movie of System Shock 1 had your player character, having learned nothing from his ordeal, hacking into Tetracorp's network and looking up info on their Powered Battle Armor (PBA) which would feature heavily in Looking Glass' later game Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. Nice to see they're still around, or at least it would be if this wasn't a cyberpunk hellscape which probably guarantees that they're as bad as TriOp.

Does Grace know about Diego's role in the first game? That's one area of the story that I think SS2 only sort of hints at.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also like that new Diego is extremely clearly played by the guy who did Garret. Every voice in this is pretty recognizable from Thief.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I just checked and System Shock 2 was August 1999, Thief 2 was March 2000. Huh. I honestly thought Thief 2 had come first.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Grace doesn't know anything about System Shock 1 besides "Shodan got into some shenanigans", but I do explain the gist of it when I go back and find that Diego log I missed in Med/Sci we were already on the Operations level before I realized :negative:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I also like that new Diego is extremely clearly played by the guy who did Garret. Every voice in this is pretty recognizable from Thief.

I've always had a soft spot for Stephen Russell, largely because of his role as Garrett. He is a great voice actor generally though; very versatile. I mean in SS2 alone he's Diego and Xerxes and The Many (one of the voices of The Many, at least?), and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting. Did he do the protocol droids too? And maybe the worm-zombies?

He's versatile to the point that for the longest time, I had the weird inability to even notice that he was in games that I played the hell out of. (E.g. Fallout 3 and Skyrim.) I think I'm better at picking his different voices out now. He's versatile, but I guess there's only so many different voices one person can do.

Mikl posted:

I just checked and System Shock 2 was August 1999, Thief 2 was March 2000. Huh. I honestly thought Thief 2 had come first.

I thought the same thing, for some reason.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I kind of want to replace all the sounds of the hybrids with the guards from Thief or vice versa. Imagine Benny shouting, "I'm sorry" (or a hybrid going "I'll find you!" as you chuckle at him from the top of a table three feet in front of his face).

This LP and the discussion of various builds inspired me to try a pacifist run of SS2. I realized you could probably approach even that using different builds. I'm doing defensive Psionics for speed (and eventually stealth), but a full-hacker route would probably be just as good, and allow you to remove enemies if you hacked turrets.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

I kind of want to replace all the sounds of the hybrids with the guards from Thief or vice versa. Imagine Benny shouting, "I'm sorry" (or a hybrid going "I'll find you!" as you chuckle at him from the top of a table three feet in front of his face).
Space taffer!

Not sure whether hacking turrets to kill poo poo for you counts as a "pacificst" run, but that sounds like it'd be doable with PSI pretty easily after you reach T3 for calm and T4 for camouflage. You can also apply The Turret Exception bit for the enemy conversion power.
The real question is how to survive through the early game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 11, 2020

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So, been meaning to ask- if you run out of nanites, does the reconstructor still resurrect you? I'm not sure where on the inventory they're tracked, but you're going through them pretty fast.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sum Gai posted:

So, been meaning to ask- if you run out of nanites, does the reconstructor still resurrect you? I'm not sure where on the inventory they're tracked, but you're going through them pretty fast.

Nope you're dead, main menu for you. Same if you die before getting your quantum entanglement jam all up in the reconstructor.

Nanites are on the bottom of the screen when the inventory's open, I'm at work right now but I can show you when I get home.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Sounds like it's better to just reload from a save than it is to die, those nanites are gone forever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nanites are all over the place, hybrids commonly drop five, so whack two hybrids and you have yourself a rez. If things get dire you can just run around MedSci and farm respawning hybrids. It's honestly less effort to just die rather than reload :v:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Danaru posted:

Nope you're dead, main menu for you. Same if you die before getting your quantum entanglement jam all up in the reconstructor.

Nanites are on the bottom of the screen when the inventory's open, I'm at work right now but I can show you when I get home.

Thanks! I've got it now, just needed to know where to look.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I remember being disappointed that SS2 didn't have a cool game-over sequence like the first game had.

They find your body and give it new life. As a rumbler's left asscheek you will serve the Many well.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One of the big comforts of embracing death for the low low price of 10 nanites is that reloading means you still need to kill static spawns. While getting a fatal hug from a hand placed protocol droid means they are gone forever. If not for their Chance To Spawn friends :tinfoil:

"Aw yeah, I don't have to worry about those guys over there anymore-OH gently caress"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Nanites are all over the place, hybrids commonly drop five, so whack two hybrids and you have yourself a rez for getting wacked by the first hybrid.

There are shops that dispense goods for as long as you have nanites, and you can hack them for reduced prices and increased selection. I think you can also sell some stuff to some shops as well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SugarAddict posted:

There are shops that dispense goods for as long as you have nanites, and you can hack them for reduced prices and increased selection. I think you can also sell some stuff to some shops as well.

There's a way to "sell" items, but it isn't via a shop.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Antistar01 posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Stephen Russell, largely because of his role as Garrett. He is a great voice actor generally though; very versatile. I mean in SS2 alone he's Diego and Xerxes and The Many (one of the voices of The Many, at least?), and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting. Did he do the protocol droids too? And maybe the worm-zombies?

He's versatile to the point that for the longest time, I had the weird inability to even notice that he was in games that I played the hell out of. (E.g. Fallout 3 and Skyrim.) I think I'm better at picking his different voices out now. He's versatile, but I guess there's only so many different voices one person can do.

My mind was blown when I found out that Stephen Russel also voiced Raoul in Thief Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LX9lRfABPg

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 5 - Eww Icky

Yes I realize I threw away the hazmat suit just before heading to Hydroponics. No I dont remember it until we finish Hydroponics.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hey Delacroix, I too am glad there's an AI around other than Xerxes, he's kind of rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I bet this one's cool and helpful and a good friend.