Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 9 - He's Gonna Stay Mad

So I didn't realize until doing these subtitles that I misunderstood the command structure here. Bronson is the head of TriOptimum Security on the Von Braun, while the soldiers on the UNN Rickenbacker are a completely separate entity. Bronson and her TriOpSec crew are more like the ship's police while the UNN folks are mostly there to keep TriOptimum in check after the whole Citadel thing, and to respond in case of hostile organisms. I always thought that the UNN provided 100% of the security, both internal and external. :frogdunce: That might seem like a big mistake on my part but at least I didn't do the EXACT OPPOSITE OF MY JOB you UNN dickheads.

Also it's not exactly motivating to find out we're Shodan's like, fourth choice :smith:

Cyber affinity is one of those stats where you go "I have two, it's fine!" and then swiftly wish you could have more than six because even locked crates will have more ICE nodes than security panels.

Also if I remember right, the handwave reason the crystal fucks poo poo up so hard is because something something sonic frequency of gooify organs. Robots of course, don't have organs. Which is why Mr. Wrench and Mrs. Rapier stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wasn't that door with the robot in it the one you got the code for in the previous episode? The one in the Bronson log?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Worms are delicious and a good source of protein and prevengeance for them eating our rotting corpses after we die. I won't hear your eating worms is gross pablum :colbert:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
If you examine the life preserver/ring buoy, it does explain why they're on a space-ship and not a... water-ship. "Archaic legal requirements", from memory.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever even tried the Stasis Field Generator. From its description it sounds like it freezes enemies for a little while. If you're going to be spending time and resources fighting these things and getting bitten/clubbed/shot/whatever in the process, it seems preferable to have them dead at the end of it, rather than just stunned for a bit. (If that is how it works.)

Those batteries are something you do probably want to keep on you, especially if you're using the really fast-draining power armour. As you progress in the game you can't always assume that one of those rechargers will be available.

Chemical storerooms are shown on the map, so you don't really need to memorise where they are. (Except for remembering which map they're on, I guess.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mikl posted:

Wasn't that door with the robot in it the one you got the code for in the previous episode? The one in the Bronson log?

:mad: NO yes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Look, as long as you don't forget you took repair skill and smash a repair device into a broken keypad you didn't need to, you'll forever be ahead of me in keypad forgetfulness.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ah, janky 90s FPS melee combat. It looks like the normal sideways swing you take with melee weapons doesn't actually extend the weapon's hitbox down as far as when you charge up for an overhead smash?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crazy Achmed posted:

Ah, janky 90s FPS melee combat. It looks like the normal sideways swing you take with melee weapons doesn't actually extend the weapon's hitbox down as far as when you charge up for an overhead smash?

There were definitely some slashes I made against eggs that the model was totally clipping through, but the game didnt count :mad: honestly my favourite part of the down slash is not having to worry about whacking the wall to my left, doing extra damage is just gravy

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

There were definitely some slashes I made against eggs that the model was totally clipping through, but the game didnt count :mad:

Karma is finally catching up to you making fun of my Superhot whiffs.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I've learned that spiders are my bane for the most part, they do toxin damage, which can't be cleared except by anti-toxin hypos. I've also learned the only way for me to reliably hit them in melee is to crouch so I can actually hit them.

Also this loving game, I've gotten much further than you, and egad is it an utter maze, I've spent so many hypos and medkits healing fall damage.
Also it's possible to soft lock the game by getting stuck in geometry.

I think I'm getting close to where I quit last time because cripes.

Also, I took both "wrench gooder" upgrades. I needed them, alot, because cripes I am not going to spend so much ammo with these things.

Also of note:
Save your physical ammo, there is a section coming up in the far future that you will need all the physical ammo you can get because there is no rechargers, And healing stuff, you are going to need lots of them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The assault rifle is the most powerful gun in the game by a large margin, not sure why you don't love it.
(You can ditch the normal pistol, rifle completely obsoletes it)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

The grenade launcher is the most powerful gun in the game by a large margin, not sure why you don't love it.
Seriously.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'd say Grenade Launcher is most powerful and Assault Rifle is sort of best all-around. The Grenade Launcher has a grenade for every occasion, the Assault Rifle can massacre with baseline (and common) bullets with specialized rounds as gravy, and both of them are terrific at casually deleting monsters you don't like.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

The assault rifle is the most powerful gun in the game by a large margin, not sure why you don't love it.
(You can ditch the normal pistol, rifle completely obsoletes it)

Omnicrom posted:

I'd say Grenade Launcher is most powerful and Assault Rifle is sort of best all-around. The Grenade Launcher has a grenade for every occasion, the Assault Rifle can massacre with baseline (and common) bullets with specialized rounds as gravy, and both of them are terrific at casually deleting monsters you don't like.
Assault rifle is real gud, but the damage to enemy health situation means "This is great!... Why am I out of standard ammo? Everyone told me it does SO MUCH DAMAGE and that I would never need the shotgun again!" if start using it for everything.

Because respawning ninjas and spiders have 60 loving health. "Look at how strong the assault rifle is" is still gonna end up as something like five standard ammo, and ninjas don't get a research damage bonus. Meanwhile, running dry the remains of my shotgun ammo on spiders (Hey, might as well use the anti-personell shells on SOMETHING) left me comfortable in dealing with every bigger problem without needing to go bullet shopping for the endgame.

Also, an (upgraded) pistol always loaded with AP ammo has saved me a shitload of health on quickdraw murder that fumbling for the AP mode on my assault rifle wouldn't have at the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 6, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Just finished the game and egad.

I think I horded way more than what I needed to.
Also you may want to hold onto that environmental hazard suit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 10 - Flipper

It's pretty late but it's up now :v: Turns out a lot of the Ops deck is pretty much just for exploring. It's cool though, I like Ops

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

Assault rifle is real gud, but the damage to enemy health situation means "This is great!... Why am I out of standard ammo? Everyone told me it does SO MUCH DAMAGE and that I would never need the shotgun again!" if start using it for everything.

Because respawning ninjas and spiders have 60 loving health. "Look at how strong the assault rifle is" is still gonna end up as something like five standard ammo, and ninjas don't get a research damage bonus. Meanwhile, running dry the remains of my shotgun ammo on spiders (Hey, might as well use the anti-personell shells on SOMETHING) left me comfortable in dealing with every bigger problem without needing to go bullet shopping for the endgame.

Also, an (upgraded) pistol always loaded with AP ammo has saved me a shitload of health on quickdraw murder that fumbling for the AP mode on my assault rifle wouldn't have at the time.

Aren't spiders actually resistant to AP? It's been a while, but I remember something like that making them extra bullshit (on top of the buzzing, chittering hellspawn factor).

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Grace: "CirclMastr we only make fun of you because we love you."

Also Grace: "I will never stop lying to everyone."

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Danaru posted:

the worst internet fetish.
consider: copification

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

consider: copification

A... fetish for someone being turned into a cop? Like a... femdom version of bimbofication?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The theme song said Flipper was faster than lightning, but Past Me At Grandma's House was disappointed the show was not, in fact "The Flash, but it's a loving dolphin".

Also I know it's just vidoegame logic. But of all the bulletproof by default things in this game, I'm amused by the concept of bulletproof fridge doors.

Seyser Koze posted:

Aren't spiders actually resistant to AP? It's been a while, but I remember something like that making them extra bullshit (on top of the buzzing, chittering hellspawn factor).

Yeah, spiders are resistant to armor piercing. But NINJAS like to show up at the same time as spiders a whole lot with my luck.

Which meant a lot of moments of having an shotgun or Assault rifle set to anti-personnel from squashing bugs, and I am absolute garbage at dodging their shuriken compared to dodging robot lasers :downs: So I dusted off the pistol and left it on burst mode AP ammo forever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 11 - Why Can He Pyrokinetikis

Okay sorry this is super late :shepface: this is the last episode in the backlog but we should be recording tomorrow

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What I wonder is why there's such a limited set of holo-sex partners. And are they meant to simply resemble the real-life actors in the photo, or are people in the future just super horny for these specific people from 100 years ago?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
The company wouldn’t spring for the DLC

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 11 - Why Can He Pyrokinetikis

Okay sorry this is super late :shepface: this is the last episode in the backlog but we should be recording tomorrow

I love how you have instantly forgotten that you've picked up an implant that (among others) increases your Hack by one.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 28, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Actual Living Human: "Hey. Help! We're stuck in here-"
Cyber Hero: "Oooh, Westworld poster!"
Soon To Be Dead Human: "...Well, poo poo."

Though yes, the realization the color swap isn't just "bigger HP" for monkeys was a real loving rude surprise to me. And why I have my comedy shame of "The only two enemies in the game to make me run away shouting WHAT THE gently caress!? Were monkeys"

Also totally keep collecting prisms and grenades even if you cant use them. It will make it more funny if you never get a recycler

Aumanor posted:

I love how you have instantly forgotten that you've picked up an implant that (among others) increases your Hack by one.

I almost threw mine away when I maxed out hacking and raised cyber to like, five, because when difficulty hit 15% or something it wouldn't get any better for me with the implant. But there are at least SOME it will stay handy for.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"I think you have a bottle of wine over by the shotgun."

Responsible firearms handling over here. :v:

(Also you don't have to wait out security alerts; you can just visit a security console thing to disable the alert; no hacking required.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Regarding the hacking stuff, now that we made it to Command deck and the first bit of the Rickenbacker I start going out of my way to actually use the hacking skill I've put so many cyber modules into.

For a small preview of how tonight went:

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1233594987348185089?s=19

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, right. That trap. I first played this around 2000 and this was the point where I quit and haven't touched the game for years, until a no-spiders mod was made and found. So much sorrow.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 12 - Way Too Many Robots

Still kinda curious what the weird suspended disco room is supposed to be, whatever Triop goon designed this ship should be shot

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never realized that the whole "there is another who can serve my purpose" spiel from Shodan is actually foreshadowing.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure the entire purpose of that piano ghost is to distract you while the cyberninjas sneak in behind you. It always works!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Once more Dan was the Jumpscare. Just an angry drunken cyborg coming in through the ceiling as the last thing that Midwife sees.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Danaru posted:

Still kinda curious what the weird suspended disco room is supposed to be, whatever Triop goon designed this ship should be shot

A gantry for the (tiny) dance-floor's lighting setup maybe? Only they didn't have the polygon budget to make it look like what it was supposed to be.

Also, the Notes section - in with the e-mails/logs/etc - keeps track of the codes you find, so you don't need to remember or write them down yourself. The game doesn't really advertise that though; I don't think I realised until probably my second or third time through. Maybe even later; who knows anymore. Twenty years is a long time. :corsair: I think I used to write them down on the map screen, like in the early Thief games.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 13 - My Thinky Brain

I REALLY hate Art Puzzle™, but the rest of Recreation deck is pretty cool

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't know what was funnier, Dan constantly forgetting to grab chemicals or Dan getting mad at Grace while discussing chemicals.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I also kept forgetting about the art puzzle was there in the first place in my recent replay :downs: "Space worms have no appreciation for the classic, got it... Wait, gently caress."

Tri-Optimum is terrible, but one of their gimmicky bullshit "There is a technobabble field that keeps your drinks hot or cold forever, AND protects against spills!" Tri-Op brand coffee mugs could be nice.

Also, oh hey! You made the right choice with 6 strength just in time to find some heavy armor. Good timing.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Technetium is in fact a real element. Sort of. It doesn’t occur in nature (hence its name) but it’s on the periodic table.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

And Hassium is one of those super heavy elements that is so unstable you really couldn't keep a 'storage container' of it. Unless those element boxes are actually meant to be nano-constructors that actually generate them (but if you have the raw materials to do so, you wouldn't need more than one box).

I'm just sad our soldier never learned to play b-ball back when he was living on the streets. We could have had some 1-on-1 with the Rumbler while the apes cheer us on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I have to ask, why didn't the two of you do a co-op of this game? I think this game can have up to 4 people plaything together I think?