Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Grace's laptop is a barely functioning mess that only continues to work because every six months I bend it back into the vague shape of a functioning computer. It fears me. It SHOULD fear me.

Plus I didnt really know how the logs would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh man, I forgot all about playing this in co-op. I tried that with some friends at one of the LAN parties we used to have back when that was more of a thing and we were young enough to have time for them (so late nineties to early 2000s).

The main thing I remember is that for whatever reason, the first-person camera is placed at about navel height on the player character's model, so you feel like a six year old running around with a bunch of adults.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My original idea for an SS2 LP years ago was to get three other players, then fill the Skype call (jesus how long ago was this) with people to create a giant whirling cacophony of idiots and seeing how long it took us to lose a plot critical item or turn the game into a deathmatch shooter.

We didnt have the tech or the... I almost said "good will" but "notoriety" is more accurate, to pull it off and also i would have felt bad about skipping the story stuff, since no way in hell would anyone notice the logs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Have you considered a co-op lp of eye divine cybermancy?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SugarAddict posted:

I have to ask, why didn't the two of you do a co-op of this game? I think this game can have up to 4 people plaything together I think?
I feel like Grace would somehow discover the lean left/right keys and spend the whole LP wiggling back and forth to nauseate some of the audience, which was a problem in a previous co-op LP of SS2.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Have you considered a co-op lp of eye divine cybermancy?

I do own that game but I didnt play it much, all I remember is not being able to parse what any of my stats did, then shattering my legs. That was also like ten years ago so it might be time to give it another shot :v:

Fish Noise posted:

I feel like Grace would somehow discover the lean left/right keys and spend the whole LP wiggling back and forth to nauseate some of the audience, which was a problem in a previous co-op LP of SS2.

I'm always incredibly self conscious about that kind of thing, and despite talking a big game, the clacking of my keyboard actually did bother me immensely :cripes: my new mechanical keyboard has that satisfying button feel without the deafening clacking, so things should improve for good now.

Episodes have been a little slow to edit lately. As most of you know I work in a hospital, and holy poo poo the whole planet is rife with plague right now. Episode 14 is uploading and will be posted some time tomorrow, but considering today's my only day off this week, its safe to say there'll be some delays

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That's cool; no rush.

Stay safe.

Don't catch the plague.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 14 - Woah, Ghost

It's not illegal if nobody can be bothered to prove you did it. That's in the bill of rights baybeee

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Lance can't get his poo poo together, you killed him in your GTA Vice City LP.

And as ever, gently caress those goddamned cyberninjas :argh: They never even have good loot just to rub it in.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 15 - I'm So Sick Of Spider

I mean sure we should probably be trying to find Delacroix ASAP, but also there's stuff to steal

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wow episode 15 and you finally hack a security station! I was imagining you had some personal grudge against them or something.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Probably the least of OSHA violations, especially with the wide open death floor nearby. But it always stood out to me that you awkwardly slide across the tram car when it comes to a stop.

Imagine the commute with multiple people.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

nielsm posted:

Wow episode 15 and you finally hack a security station! I was imagining you had some personal grudge against them or something.

But what if I NEEDED those nanites later :saddowns:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Good ol' loss aversion at work. "Okay I know I have 8 megalixers and this is the final final boss, but what if there's a third form after this one?"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

I wish the max nanites you could have is more than 999. Also of note, if you pick up nanites and you are at the max or near the max, any excess gets destroyed.

\/ Yep, probably because of the mod that it lets you do that.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 27, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SugarAddict posted:

I wish the max nanites you could have is more than 999. Also of note, if you pick up nanites and you are at the max or near the max, any excess gets destroyed.

It might be due to a mod, but at 30:38 I had 2062 nanites, just before buying a ton of first aid kits

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 16 - Rick And Backer

Shodan please stop interrupting the logs, it makes this really annoying to edit

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's so loving rude that floating psychic jellyfish ghosts don't die when you kill the brain making them.

Guess who also forgot that was a thing recently :v:

Also, I get the feeling most games these days wouldn't have waited for you to be in the control booth to throw the Rumbler+Robot party at you.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
See, I have a theory, based on the fact that apparently "strong minds" are able to escape the Many's control (either by forcing themselves out of it like Diego, or not falling in at all like Bayliss).

Theory: the worms bring out the worst in every person they infect.

That's why Korenchkin, who already was a terrible person, went I For One Welcome Our New Annelid Masters right away. And why the slimy hacker was so gleeful in his creeping on Bronson and So Much Sorrow.

And the dude who did the Midwife stuff? I'm fully convinced he'd have done it on his own if he had the chance to. The worms just have him the opportunity to actually do it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, it seems to somehow focus on negative feelings, especially any sort of hostility, and amplify them. Everyone keeps talking about their 'enemies' as they begin to transform. So if you had some mild dislike for the head of security? She's now your mortal enemy who opposes the cause and has to be eliminated.

That was a modded-in 'throne room' for Anatoly. While it suits him, I liked it better when his brain-jar was just tucked under the console. It really highlighted how much worse that form actually is.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't really fit with Diego, though; he got awed by the opportunities for co-operation as opposed to, say, declaring war on Korenchkin for harming his crew.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 6, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Diego had a lot of (well justified) hatred towards Trioptimum due to the poo poo that happened with his father in the first game, which is why he ran out after Korenchkin without biohazard gear. He didnt want Korenchkin to be able to spin the PR all for himself. The Many could have taken advantage of that and twisted that hatred for it's own purposes. It might even have been Anatoly becoming so powerful that Diego realized "no wait, gently caress this guy what the hell am I doing" and ripped the worm right out of his head

I like that theory, and I like the idea that Bayliss was immune to The Many's influence because he's just a chill dude who likes everyone just fine :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sorry for dropping off the face of the planet again guys, we HAVE finished recording the whole game, I just haven't gotten a chance to start subtitling. I hope to have the next one up within the next few days

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 17 - Tnurtis

We recorded this session a couple weeks ago, so good news! Grace is immune to the plague now! STAY THE gently caress HOME.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This has been really enjoyable I get a kick out of you being what seems like far too drunk at points and grace chipping in by yelling random things and writing numbers down.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wonder if the Black Eggs would have been a botched evolution in the end.

Because they don't spew poison or bees everywhere half the time when you so much as look at them. What possible threat could come from something less annoying than usual?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
... I did notice that you didn't upgrade the shotgun, but I was politely not saying anything. :v:

I don't know, I had thought it was maybe on purpose, since you had said that you wanted to focus on Energy weapons.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I figured you were just keeping it around for disposing of trash enemies when you want to save laser ammo or HP. Anyway your loadout seems pretty effective, upgraded shotgun or not?

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
When have any of us expected an optimal playthrough?

Thanks for doing my favorite game. I've learned a lot since you do a better job of keeping track of all the characters you will never meet.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What I want to know is how are you supposed to see where the gently caress you're going in the Rickenbacker? The Von Braun was decently lit and made me think this game didn't do the stupid horror game thing of so dark you literally can't see what you're supposed to be afraid of while still expecting you to react to the things you can't see.
About a quarter of that video was just a moving dark smudge with a hud on it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Rickenbacker is like some early version of the game that wasn't very good, but they didn't want to toss it out, and thus had to squash it in somewhere. It's probably the other way around (developed late in the cycle and unrefined), but regardless it's not the part that gets much praise.

And when I saw that you were heading back to the Pod Bay Doors 2 without having flipped the gravity switch, I wasn't yelling, it was more like a sad feeling of, "oh, he's not going to like having to go back again."

Also I hate that last egg behind the turret since it wrecked my 'pacifist' run where I only killed what was required (and not using anyone else to kill them if I could help it).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 22, 2020

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Geemer posted:

What I want to know is how are you supposed to see where the gently caress you're going in the Rickenbacker? The Von Braun was decently lit and made me think this game didn't do the stupid horror game thing of so dark you literally can't see what you're supposed to be afraid of while still expecting you to react to the things you can't see.
About a quarter of that video was just a moving dark smudge with a hud on it.

Maybe it's to help the soldiers practice maneuvering in the dark.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hammurabi posted:

Maybe it's to help the soldiers practice maneuvering in the dark.

Maybe it's just bad game design.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Mood lighting.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 18 - Too Big Of A Chungus

I'm not dead, I just feel like it

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
If spiders evolved from worms, then why are there still worms?

Checkmate atheists

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The murder pellets ammo is so goddamned finicky about hitting the spiders. But they are the only thing worth using them on aside from Rumblers, so might as well!

Dan loves a challenge, I'm convinced he knew about the auto-save slot and chose not to load it on principle.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 6, 2020

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
As much as the next section is a bit of a drag gameplay-wise, I have to give props to Looking Glass for just how revolting they managed to make it. It's an impressive piece of work.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I have to admit that the Body of the Many is my least favourite part of System Shock 2.

The Body of the Many is to SS2 as Xen is to Half-Life. (Okay maybe not quite that bad, but getting there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Fun fact, one of the developers used pictures of their colonoscopy as inspiration in designing the textures for the body of the many. Think about that when your seeing the vein covered walls and the endless sphincters.