Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

cambrian obelus posted:

Fun fact, one of the developers used pictures of their colonoscopy as inspiration in designing the textures for the body of the many. Think about that when your seeing the vein covered walls and the endless sphincters.

Do you think they took a leaf out of the Doom devs' book where they straight-up used a photo of someone's hairy arm as a texture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 19 - Might Be Teeth

Hope you like bodily fluids!!!!!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"There's gotta be some way to gently caress it."

(Dan, 2020)

e. Also you missed a log. It was on the ground just before the first tooth.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 14, 2020

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm really glad I'm not playing this, because it would be impossible for me to navigate through The Many.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I actually really like The Many as a stage, but again I have a pretty drat good sense of direction. I also liked Xen though so :frogdunce:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"You could totally have saved them if they weren't already dead!... 14 medkits isn't enough, you're gonna die."

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
so which of the looking glass team do you reckon was into vore

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Whybird posted:

so which of the looking glass team do you reckon was into vore

I dont know but I am absolutely kink shaming them :mad:

And now, since I feel bad for being slow as poo poo at subtitling for the last month:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play System Shock 2 Episode 20 - The Big SHODAN

Its completed! :toot: A huge goddamn thanks to Shodanpedia for making this process way easier than it should have been. I like this game a lot :toot:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Congrats! :toot:

Re: Rebecca, one possibility is that Shodan got into her through the Many. Somehow. Or that Shodan rigged some kind of bot to transfer herself into Rebecca. There's a log partway though the game, when Tommy and Rebecca hadn't escaped yet, which is her saying "hey Tommy don't freak out but this thing bit me and now I feel sick", maybe that's when Shodan got her.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

This game was co-developed by Irrational Games and Looking Glass. Ken Levine had previously worked for Looking Glass on Thief before leaving to start Irrational.

Also I'm not sure if you were aware, but you could have used those 3 ICE-picks you threw away to take down the shields much faster.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mikl posted:

Congrats! :toot:

Re: Rebecca, one possibility is that Shodan got into her through the Many. Somehow. Or that Shodan rigged some kind of bot to transfer herself into Rebecca. There's a log partway though the game, when Tommy and Rebecca hadn't escaped yet, which is her saying "hey Tommy don't freak out but this thing bit me and now I feel sick", maybe that's when Shodan got her.

Perhaps the reality warping effect managed to reach their pod and Shodan infected Rebecca in some permanent way before getting destroyed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Wiseblood posted:

Also I'm not sure if you were aware, but you could have used those 3 ICE-picks you threw away to take down the shields much faster.

Yeah, I mentioned that while we were falling down the chute to the Shodan-hole. Apparently you can also just shoot the shield until it dies. We certainly had the ammo :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

OH I JUST REMEMBERED

When the game first came out, there was a bug that would occasionally make the Brain Many fight literally unwinnable.

As Dan so handily demonstrated, attacking the brain outright does no damage: first you have to destroy the three floaty bits around it, which are shielding the brain. Well because of the bug, one of the floaty bits would just not spawn, so it couldn't (obviously) be destroyed, and so you could never turn off the invulnerability of the brain of the Many.

Of course the bug was fixed with the very first patch, but these being the early 'aughts, with no automatic patching, it lead to quite a bit of grumbling on online forums.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I approve of wanting to show off "oops I hurtled into space".

"The floor is lava now" is always as super dick move, but it's especially petty when they put it in front of an interactable.

As for spoiler chat? One of her audio logs has "Hey Tommy, I found some medkits, guns, ammo, a mysterious cyber implant" wait what was that last bit "Okay bye tommy don't die!" I think that's the closest thing we get to an explanation. That unlike Dan, she didn't hurl suspicious implants into space once she was done with them to avoid horrible side effects. But hey, at least she wasn't constantly eating space worms like Dan! So we'll call it a draw.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 15, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Section Z posted:

I approve of wanting to show off "oops I hurtled into space".

"The floor is lava now" is always as super dick move, but it's especially petty when they put it in front of an interactable.

As for spoiler chat? One of her audio logs has "Hey Tommy, I found some medkits, guns, ammo, a mysterious cyber implant" wait what was that last bit "Okay bye tommy don't die!" I think that's the closest thing we get to an explanation. That unlike Dan, she didn't hurl suspicious implants into space once she was done with them to avoid horrible side effects. But hey, at least she wasn't constantly eating space worms like Dan! So we'll call it a draw.

Oh poo poo you're right, heres the log in question:

Siddons posted:

I'm trying to get up to find you, Tommy, but I can't. I'm stuck in Ops. There's some kind of civil war going on here... the security forces came in and... Now don't freak out, but I'm hurt... but not too bad, I managed to pull together a supply of med kits and a few other goodies... some of it looks valuable, but I'm not sure what it is, maybe some kind of military grade implant. I left the stuff I didn't need in a corner of the data library, out of the way in case I need it later. I'm on my way. I promise you, I will not die. I will not die. You do the same, my love. Yours... Becca.

I actually misunderstood it the whole time and missed the "stuff I didnt need" part, thinking she meant she left it all in a stash and she was talking about one of the 50 endurboosts I've picked up and recycled without thinking. That's a good catch

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Oh poo poo you're right, heres the log in question:

I actually misunderstood it the whole time and missed the "stuff I didnt need" part, thinking she meant she left it all in a stash and she was talking about one of the 50 endurboosts I've picked up and recycled without thinking. That's a good catch
I'm just honestly more surprised it wasn't pointed out by someone else first :v: But it helps that I replayed this recently thanks to your LP and it's just one of those few details I actually remember in the first place.

I can't blame anyone for forgetting even during a play-through because not only do they shove it into the middle of a paragraph about generic looting, but you're shoving all kinds of wacky poo poo into your own cyber slots anyways. So "Military implant" sounds downright harmless compared to discovering mutant hearts created by a parasitic bio horror are USB compatible.

So it just sounds like more 'Gameplay explained in character' (Hey Tommy, giant spiders can poison you!) until you reach the ending long after you've forgotten about it, and there are much more in your face sci-fi possibilities like some mentioned above.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 15, 2020

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mikl posted:

OH I JUST REMEMBERED

When the game first came out, there was a bug that would occasionally make the Brain Many fight literally unwinnable.

As Dan so handily demonstrated, attacking the brain outright does no damage: first you have to destroy the three floaty bits around it, which are shielding the brain. Well because of the bug, one of the floaty bits would just not spawn, so it couldn't (obviously) be destroyed, and so you could never turn off the invulnerability of the brain of the Many.

Of course the bug was fixed with the very first patch, but these being the early 'aughts, with no automatic patching, it lead to quite a bit of grumbling on online forums.

That's why you should play as a wizard psychic. They have access to a power that drains enemy HP. You don't need to disable the shields for it to work, of course. The Many Brain has pretty low health and the fight is over almost instantly. It's almost in range before you even enter the room, and you can run straight through without fighting anything else.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for the drunken stumble-through LP of classic game System Shock 2! It prompted me to play through it again myself for the umpteenth time and it's always fun to go back to every now and then.

With the "oh no Rebecca is now Shodan!" sting, my assumption has always been that it was something Shodan managed to do via the reality-warping effect of the FTL drive. Delacroix did mention in that log that Shodan's influence was spreading out from the ship, so it seems clear that she made a copy of herself that replaced/co-opted Rebecca as that influence reached the escape pod.

It could be literally anything considering it was a warping of reality - but to me that seems most likely what they were going for.

Wiseblood posted:

This game was co-developed by Irrational Games and Looking Glass. Ken Levine had previously worked for Looking Glass on Thief before leaving to start Irrational.

In fact if you watch the credits for SS2, they're accompanied by pictures of a bunch of the developers pretending to be the ubiquitous lootable corpses in the game - and one of them is Ken Levine.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Congrats on the LP :toot:

Yeah, Shodan infecting people's cyber implants makes a lot of sense, really. I'm actually surprised they didn't pull a Diablo and have the twist being that she's infected the player without us knowing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

It could be literally anything considering it was a warping of reality - but to me that seems most likely what they were going for.
I'm not sure I buy this because SHODAN actually foreshadows the Rebeca bit somewhere around Deck... I want to think 4, shortly after the reveal? She mentions you're not the only one she could have chosen, which seems to me to imply there is someone else with sufficiently tinkered cyber implants on board - and it would make sense for SHODAN to have a plan B (this time).

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I guess it's possible, though from memory Shodan was saying that she could have chosen someone else to have a cybernetic rig installed, not that she already had done that to other people besides the player character. Plus I don't think Rebecca was indicated at any point to have a cybernetic rig like that? Were any characters besides "the soldier" noted as having a cyber rig?

Also the "Rebecca is now Shodan" reveal comes immediately after the part where Shodan is altering reality, and the entire handling of that scene - with Rebecca's voice and appearance seeming to shift into that of Shodan - to me points to a much more drastic change than her just being hacked via implants that I'm not sure she was even established as having in the first place.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like its implied that most people have rigs, just that they have basic bitch ones for like e-mails and cyber module upgrades. Otherwise they have a lot of upgrade consoles around that nobody can use :v:

The reality altering thing makes sense, but Tommy mentions that Siddons started acting strangely when they got on the pod, which is long before I finally hauled my fat rear end up into the Rickenbacker. My best guess is that she held on to the wonky implant, then when she got gooped by the spider she figured "well I'm hosed either way" and slapped it in, then it either cured her or Shodan started manipulating her too and saved her.

Plus reality went back to normal after we shot up the Shodan orb, but thatd be easy enough to write around

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Crazy Achmed posted:

Congrats on the LP :toot:

Yeah, Shodan infecting people's cyber implants makes a lot of sense, really. I'm actually surprised they didn't pull a Diablo and have the twist being that she's infected the player without us knowing.
Not the player.

She infected the GamePig™. That sweet, innocent entertainment device you'd be playing all the way back home, just in case Rebecca doesn't make it. You'll plug it in to finally download some new games, and she'll infect every rom site on the internet within 24 hours.

You know, as a backup strat.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

One thing I'm perplexed about, though. Is Rebecca-Shodan the actual, real Shodan? Or is she a copy? And if she is a copy, how does it jive with Shodan's whole "I am a god" shtick? Because creating copies of yourself isn't very godly.

Unless the end point is to remake all of humanity in your own image 🤔

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Shodan v. 2 was created from the salvaged Citadel Shodan. Is she the same as that one? One option for a hypothetical System Shock 3 would be to have both Rebecca and a fragment of the Von Braun competing against each other for the title.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Danaru posted:

I feel like its implied that most people have rigs, just that they have basic bitch ones for like e-mails and cyber module upgrades. Otherwise they have a lot of upgrade consoles around that nobody can use :v:

The reality altering thing makes sense, but Tommy mentions that Siddons started acting strangely when they got on the pod, which is long before I finally hauled my fat rear end up into the Rickenbacker. My best guess is that she held on to the wonky implant, then when she got gooped by the spider she figured "well I'm hosed either way" and slapped it in, then it either cured her or Shodan started manipulating her too and saved her.

Plus reality went back to normal after we shot up the Shodan orb, but thatd be easy enough to write around

I forgot about the spider bite, which leaves them an opening to "what if Rebecca got infected by shodan AND the many?"
But I dunno, I feel like the many don't necessarily need to come back in the next game. Not just yet, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Danaru posted:

Tommy's wording was "she's been acting strangely since we've come on board [the escape pod]", which is a little ambiguous about the timing. Was it from the instant they got on the pod, or at some point since they did? The latter would fit right in with Shodan's reality-warping being the cause.

But that is a good point and I guess it could indicate that Shodan somehow got her hooks into Rebecca even before the reality-warping part. Basing that on a kind of throwaway line from much earlier in the game about finding a "military grade implant" that she didn't seem to know what to do with - and may or may not have kept with her - still seems tenuous to me, though.

Obviously things start getting pretty fuzzy and weird around the reality-warping part, though. Basically anything could happen, like I was saying earlier - even things conveniently going back to (apparently) normal after Shodan is (apparently) "killed".