Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Yuffie will have a redesigned moveset to function in party play, her old one will be given to Zack during his gameplay segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My assumption is that monsters are gonna be even more aggressive and will hunt specific characters down like Mr. X in fights to force you to swap to other ones more often. Like, monsters will also lock onto targeting one of your part members so you're probably gonna want to swap to Barret and Cloud to burn some ATBs so you can go back to playing as Tifa faster.

I'm betting that pinning/incapacitating thing that sweepers and some other monsters can do will happen more often + you don't have Sonon anymore to be a synergistic ally and draw most of the damage now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

...! posted:

It's not even out yet! :mad:

It actually released back in 2020, I recommend getting through it quick the sequel's coming out at the end of this month :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Watching someone play 7R over again while I'm working on art stuff and man, to think I was so worried that Wallmarket wouldn't be gay or horny and they just went and made it way camper and hornier and then threw in the Hellhouse all in one section, as if to say "Yeah? You thought we werent't goin' to do all of this?"

Which is to say I can't wait to see Barrett and Red disguised as sailors

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually replaying Remake now and I am reminded just how well they knocked Barret out of the park. I can’t wait to get more of him in a few weeks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would strongly recommend avoiding even casual spoilers if you can.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You can't stop me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

Are you reviewing this one?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm going to unlock this game on my PS5 that morning and not look at a pc or phone for a month or so.

Someone is going to post 26 year old spoilers day one and it's going to tear us apart

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Still debating on whether or not to watch the extended trailer on tuesday

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anakha posted:

Aerith only really refers to her current situation as 'kinda like returning to her childhood home... not that bad', so either she hadn't been approached by Hojo yet or she was downplaying it for Cloud's benefit.

This was....really obviously the case? How is this even something people were confused about? She doesn't want to risk the lives of her family/friends and realizes Cloud would come if she told the full truth (though he obviously comes anyways).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
demo also got datamined like crazy the last time it came out, hopefully this time will be different though, but definitely be super careful when it comes out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks for the heads up, I use a Chrome plugin that lets me block out specific areas of websites that contain certain phrases to avoid spoilers, and I just added basically anything I could think of related to Rebirth.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

kliras posted:

demo also got datamined like crazy the last time it came out, hopefully this time will be different though, but definitely be super careful when it comes out

Didn’t the demo contain the subtitles for the entire game, for some reason? Lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Once the demo's out it's gonna require a lot of caution to the point of going dark from some sites. I don't think this thread is unsafe or anything but it's really gonna suck trying to avoid spoilers for a solid three weeks until the game comes out, plus the time playing it.

I wish that releases just happened without a demo/review period for games of this caliber, even though it'll never happen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hyped for all the demo spoilers

Kale
May 14, 2010

Unpopular opinion possibly but I generally prefer Hamauzus stuff to Soken track for track. Glad hes back and on this again

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
SaGa Frontier 2 soundtrack is goated

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

YES! This is all I needed, this was all I fuckin' needed, this game is going to OOOOOOWWWWWNNNNN

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kale posted:

Unpopular opinion possibly but I generally prefer Hamauzus stuff to Soken track for track. Glad hes back and on this again

I dunno if that's too unpopular. I don't play XIV or XVI so don't really care but I've been seeing a decent amount of criticism for Soken here and there, more than I ever heard for Hamauzu. Even at the height of FFXIII hate, everyone praised the soundtrack to high heaven, and for good reason.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Gologle posted:

YES! This is all I needed, this was all I fuckin' needed, this game is going to OOOOOOWWWWWNNNNN

Whoa, spoilers

:mods:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Caidin posted:

Yuffie will have a redesigned moveset to function in party play, her old one will be given to Zack during his gameplay segments.

I'm sold if only for the prospect of Zack Round Tripping the Buster Sword.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sitting on Chapter 9 of Crisis Core and all I need to know is if they bring Cissnei in as well or not

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if that's too unpopular. I don't play XIV or XVI so don't really care but I've been seeing a decent amount of criticism for Soken here and there, more than I ever heard for Hamauzu. Even at the height of FFXIII hate, everyone praised the soundtrack to high heaven, and for good reason.

I feel like Soken has become more of a household name in a shorter span of time. I generally prefer Hamauzu though.
https://youtu.be/u6DvagXI0PE?si=zX2CknU7pKejIvDl

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Soken does better in an MMO context because of how certain elements get carried through and referenced throughout the soundtrack. Like the final Endwalker trial's soundtrack is great because of how it integrates the rest of the expansions end boss themes. XVI's soundtrack has some standout moments for sure but kinda lacks the consistent greatness of Shadowbringers / Endwalker.

There's also the fact that XVI is straight orchestral with a couple exceptions. I'd love to see a single player FF with The Primals on the soundtrack.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I really needed this game to get delayed a month or so, RIP to me and anyone else who's busy work season is this time of year. I've accepted that I will be spoiled on poo poo, there's no way I'm getting significant playtime in until April.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah Hamauzu's fuckin' legit. I mean Uematsu's still the GOAT but when I need a tune to beat up mobs to I reach for Blinded By Light and it's not even close.

Okay so while I'm here and posting I have a question. I need to know if this particular thing is something that "everyone knows" and is just so obvious that nobody ever mentions it in any discussion of Final Fantasy Music, even in the context of the occasional person realizing it for the first time and posting about it and immediately being mobbed by people informing them that everyone knew already (or informing them that they're one of today's "lucky 10,000") because I noticed it a couple years ago and was like "oh neat" and despite being attuned to any discussion of recurring motifs (say, in Sonic, the link between Endless Mine, Escape from the City, and Sonic Mania's main theme) I have literally never seen it come up.

Okay so you know how for the entire Nintendo era FF battle music had That Bassline Opening, right? You know the one, it was in Scott Pilgrim and everything, also FFIX brought it back because IX brought everything back. A melodic motif, you could call it. Not so hard to do if you have one composer the whole time and he's a gigantic nerd. Well, ever since FFVII, FF battle music has had a rhythmic motif in usually its regular/main battle theme or main boss theme. I don't know about the online ones but otherwise I'm certain, all the way up to XVI. The motif is... uh, I don't know how to post this. So, I guess, go queue up Blinded By Light since we were just talking about it and get a load of that iconic string opening. Disregard the melody, only remember the rhythm of the first few bars because I think it's the clearest expression of it we've had. Now, since this is an FFVII thread, go and queue up Those Who Fight and compare the rhythm. It's unmistakeable, especially in the bit right after the intro with the rising horns. Now queue up Force Your Way. Don't think too hard about this one. I contend that VIII's regular battle theme Don't Be Afraid also uses this rhythmic motif but compresses it down from two 4/4 bars into a 5/4 bar (much like how Force Your Way adapts it straightforwardly but still weaves those extra surprise beats into it). FFIX's Battle 1 comes the closest to not having it, it has it for like one and a half bars right after the opening and I think it's supposed to be a little joke that it follows the one motif right with the other. FFX's battle theme fucks around for a bit but as soon as it settles into 4/4, there it is. In FFXII there's no regular battle theme but there's the boss theme That Which Stands In The Way (I linked the reorchestration from FFTA2 but it's the same piece of music, also I can't remember what it's called in XII), in which it kicks in with the strings at 0:26 (but of course it immediately gets all Hitoshi Sakimoto with it, but it's there). XIII of course has Blinded By Light. XV has Stand Your Ground, which I think is also very straightforward. Finally, FFXVI notably immediately eschews it in its most common battle theme Sixteen Bells but then has it, once again immediately and unmistakeably, in front-and-center hit single Find The Flame and also notably also has The Bassline in On The Shoulders of Giants, which I note has Uematsu credited.

So, like. I just wasted my time posting all this, right? Everyone knows?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Fedule posted:

Yeah Hamauzu's fuckin' legit. I mean Uematsu's still the GOAT but when I need a tune to beat up mobs to I reach for Blinded By Light and it's not even close.

Okay so while I'm here and posting I have a question. I need to know if this particular thing is something that "everyone knows" and is just so obvious that nobody ever mentions it in any discussion of Final Fantasy Music, even in the context of the occasional person realizing it for the first time and posting about it and immediately being mobbed by people informing them that everyone knew already (or informing them that they're one of today's "lucky 10,000") because I noticed it a couple years ago and was like "oh neat" and despite being attuned to any discussion of recurring motifs (say, in Sonic, the link between Endless Mine, Escape from the City, and Sonic Mania's main theme) I have literally never seen it come up.

Okay so you know how for the entire Nintendo era FF battle music had That Bassline Opening, right? You know the one, it was in Scott Pilgrim and everything, also FFIX brought it back because IX brought everything back. A melodic motif, you could call it. Not so hard to do if you have one composer the whole time and he's a gigantic nerd. Well, ever since FFVII, FF battle music has had a rhythmic motif in usually its regular/main battle theme or main boss theme. I don't know about the online ones but otherwise I'm certain, all the way up to XVI. The motif is... uh, I don't know how to post this. So, I guess, go queue up Blinded By Light since we were just talking about it and get a load of that iconic string opening. Disregard the melody, only remember the rhythm of the first few bars because I think it's the clearest expression of it we've had. Now, since this is an FFVII thread, go and queue up Those Who Fight and compare the rhythm. It's unmistakeable, especially in the bit right after the intro with the rising horns. Now queue up Force Your Way. Don't think too hard about this one. I contend that VIII's regular battle theme Don't Be Afraid also uses this rhythmic motif but compresses it down from two 4/4 bars into a 5/4 bar (much like how Force Your Way adapts it straightforwardly but still weaves those extra surprise beats into it). FFIX's Battle 1 comes the closest to not having it, it has it for like one and a half bars right after the opening and I think it's supposed to be a little joke that it follows the one motif right with the other. FFX's battle theme fucks around for a bit but as soon as it settles into 4/4, there it is. In FFXII there's no regular battle theme but there's the boss theme That Which Stands In The Way (I linked the reorchestration from FFTA2 but it's the same piece of music, also I can't remember what it's called in XII), in which it kicks in with the strings at 0:26 (but of course it immediately gets all Hitoshi Sakimoto with it, but it's there). XIII of course has Blinded By Light. XV has Stand Your Ground, which I think is also very straightforward. Finally, FFXVI notably immediately eschews it in its most common battle theme Sixteen Bells but then has it, once again immediately and unmistakeably, in front-and-center hit single Find The Flame and also notably also has The Bassline in On The Shoulders of Giants, which I note has Uematsu credited.

:goonsay:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fedule posted:

Source your quotes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I have noticed that though not especially tracked it

the grammys are on right now and whenever they throw to the list of nominees it sounds like the transition sound to an ff battle

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm replaying part 1 now with all of my gear from when I played through hard mode and lol its a joke but I forgot how to play the game so I guess its a wash. God drat the music is so loving good.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

RC Cola posted:

I'm replaying part 1 now with all of my gear from when I played through hard mode and lol its a joke but I forgot how to play the game so I guess its a wash. God drat the music is so loving good.

Get the goddamn soundtrack

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Demo for Rebirth out tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1754662533250891848

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Enjoying Hard difficulty so far, I'm just starting Chapter 9. I thought I would have a harder time making the transition as my first playthrough was on Easy instead of normal, but so far, so good. The power trip of Easy mode was fun, but I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to budget MP and experimenting with materia/equipment loadouts before boss fights. Also trying to manage what all my characters are doing in battle, which can be difficult to keep track of at times. Air Buster took me three tries, mainly due to my not noticing the AI-controlled characters running away from the main cannon shots until I was already in the middle of a combo.

Reno and Rude were nice breathers after that one.

EDIT: Even Hell House didn't give me as much trouble. Just a total chump.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 6, 2024

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
One thing FF7re did really well in capturing the spirit of the original is that the most important things in doing well in the game are still knowledge and preparation. Outside of mini games you don’t actually need any high input dexterity to beat anything in the game. Just a good setup and understanding of the battle system. Hopefully this continues in rebirth.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm writing up a new thread for Rebirth, give me thread title ideas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF7 Rebirth - the three Rs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FF7 Remake Part II: You Can (Not) Rebirth

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Jenova? I barely know her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU