Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kicked loving rear end, can't wait for the full game. The combat is definitely still in the same spirit, but much more involved right from the word go. It takes a while for the combat to get interesting in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The demo also runs noticeably better on vanilla PS4 than FFXV did, so kudos there.

Although I might eat those words once we see one of the real big outdoor segments.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm going to guess three parts total. After Midgar there's a lot of filler that they can easily gut or change. There's the Kalm flashback, then not really any actual major story beat until the Gold Saucer followed by Cosmo Canyon. They could end the second part after the Temple of the Ancients, the Ancient City in the North or the summoning of Meteor.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Elentor posted:

Part 3 is the North Crater. 30 hours of navigating it. Lots of jump puzzles. And if you miss the Zombie Dragon's enemy skill you gotta start from part 1 again.

Eh, still not as hard as Pitioss.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They seem to have a good handle on the characters, so I'm sure they'll at least make Cait Sith fun, even if they brush aside the sheer insanity of him being there. It was one of the dumbest parts of the original.

"There must be a traitor among us."

"Ridiculous! I trust everyone, including the ninja who has tried to rob literally everyone she's come across including us, the wolf who said he's only here until he gets home and no further, and the fortune telling cat who forced himself on our party with no adequate explanation".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They say Ifreet in FFXIV as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like the new boss music; I didn't at first as I was hoping for a close recreation of the original, but it works really well for the new game after a few listens.

precision posted:

I forgot how crazy OP you get in the original. I'm not grinding at all and everyone is level 40-ish at the Sleeping Forest, and none of the fights so far have been remotely hard. The only time I've summoned Bahamut was just to see what it looked like at 3x speed

The other problem is that the emerald weapon is a level 80 - 90 boss and the ruby weapon is a level 90 - 99 boss, but absolutely nothing else in the game comes close. You can easily finish the game at level 60, and grinding those levels out for just two fights is awful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's not episodic, they're sequels where they already know roughly the direction the story is going in. They may well not even have the exact same mechanics, if they decide things need reworking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The lengths people are going to to pretend that they suddenly have no concept of how videogame sequels work is astounding.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's just UE4, it should scale up to PS5 pretty easily.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

precision posted:

I actually had trouble with several fights in FF15, in the later parts anyway. And some of the hunts are brutal

A Menace Sleeps In Costlemark is an unholy terror, although admittedly that's because you aren't allowed to use items.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, I always wondered how he was able to pull a bunch of Jenovas out of his pocket then vanish. This is all starting to make a lot more sense now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It also doesn't stop it being a powerful moment. Hell, knowing that it is coming can make a scene even heavier.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jehno-vah, with the same cadence as Jennifer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd be fine with a more faithful remake of FFVI - make the environments 3D, update all the 2D sprites so they're actually animated and stuff, throw in some fancy modern effects to make it look all cool and shiny. It doesn't need the FFVII treatment, although I admit it would look cool as hell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they could make the Phantom Train kick rear end in FFXIV then they can make Hell House kick rear end.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

The Group Room is what I'm looking forward to the most in Remake.

Hey Vegeeeeeeeeta

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They need to do something with Cait Sith, anyway. The elements for a good character are there, but they're just all over the place in the first disc, and don't pay off until the end of the second disc.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I trust that Bizarro Sephiroth will still take until the heat death of the universe to die between phases.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they don't keep the bit where Cloud leans in for the kiss before Tifa bursts in and asks what the hell he's doing then I will be supremely pissed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they can make three FFXIIIs then they can make three or four FFVIIs.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I went digital, but if you check places like CDKeys for PSN cards then you can usually get a reasonable discount.

[edit] 14% off some wallet cards, it's well worth checking out.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 18, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

X-2 was alright, honestly. The stuff with Paine and her friends was really good.

You can add Brother to your party and set him as a dancer, and it's basically like having the Firestarter guy engage in violent dance-offs for you. Straight up my favourite combat character in any Final Fantasy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't even remember the last time Square Enix described them as episodes rather than parts. They probably should have come out right away describing it as a series with sequels, although I'm sure there'd still be people dedicated to not getting it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DMW45 posted:

I think they should've given it a subtitle to denote it as it's own experience, FFVII: Midgar, etc.

It is incredibly weird that they kept the title as just FFVII Remake when they already knew that more parts were incoming.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's a loving water sports player with a water sword, I'm going to call him Tie-dus until the day I die.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Half the cast should pronounce it differently to the rest, and they should argue about it while you're running around doing stuff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like FFXV's system where different clothing is weighted for different play styles without being inherently better, so you can run around in your King's Knight t-shirt to your heart's content.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

According to that trailer we're probably getting the Kalm flashback in this game, then.

Which means that the next instalment could basically start anywhere, hell, the entire world, story and locations could be completely and totally redone in a way that dwarfs this part, if they want the next part to be as tightly focused as this one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid people are going to freak out over "dumb new stuff" in the game, conveniently forgetting the original game had you perform a CPR minigame on a little girl so she would give you her whistle to summon Mr. Dolphin so he could push you a hundred feet into the air onto an electrical tower so you could go participate in a marching minigame where you would be sent a grenade in the mail for making their ratings bad.

And all so you can get on a loving boat. That's the kind of thing I can see getting gutted or massively changed in the sequels, when all the tight storytelling of Midgar is over and you're just kind of meandering around the world hoping to bump into Sephiroth.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also, since Hell House is getting the love it deserves, did the stop sign enemies make it in?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

35-40 hours sounds pretty good honestly, especially if there's an emphasis on replaying the game on higher difficulties with a combat system that complements this. Some games fit the style of sidequests and hunts like 14 and 15, others are better suited to doing two or three playthroughs with the benefit of hindsight instead.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I honestly think that the Crystal Tools debacle was an important growing pain for HD-era Square Enix. It's taken a while for the aftermath of that to play out, with two whole mainline Final Fantasy games needing to be reworked in a new engine (which still wasn't amazing, but at least didn't crash constantly), but FFXV ended up being so much more charming and compelling than it had any right to be and absolutely sticks the landing, especially with the reworked final chapter in the Royal Edition, while FFXIV has gradually morphed into an incredibly slick experience with just the best soundtrack, and is able to have fun with the series and its legacy instead of being weighed down by its own sense of prestige.

With FFVII Remake, they finally gave up trying to reinvent every part of the wheel and just used an off-the-shelf engine, and cranked out a solid title with decent mechanics that is equal parts amazing spectacle and knowingly overblown goofiness. I would be very surprised if we get another FFXIII for the next mainline title.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ARR is not just long, it's also pretty dull. You spend the whole time being tasked with beating one big bad monster after another while a bunch of generically sinister masked figures pull the strings in the background, and that's before the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through before people will give you the time of day and help you with what are obviously massively important goals. Heavensward is shorter, far more varied, and features a properly compelling sins-of-the-father story. It's genuinely good by any standard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've seen a lot of people mad about it only being the first part but not aware that it's a full size game, so if anything referring to it as its own part would have worked against them more. And even if people aren't aware, I'd hope that after 40 hours of explosive action their reaction wouldn't be "what, that's it?" :mad:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, the game started preloading, said it was a 90GB download... Then the download size changed to 13GB, and once it finished said it would be ready to play in two and a bit days.

Is that normal? Because it definitely hasn't downloaded the full 90GB yet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh gently caress it, going to ask.

It's a remake, not a stealth sequel, but there's been a lot of FFVII media since, and some cut content and ideas that never made it into the original, so it's still a remake, but with a lot of additional content for them to potentially expand on.

So no, don't worry if you haven't played the original.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And Red XIII, but he's so late game in the remake that he isn't playable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spent the evening playing Jackbox and virtual boardgames with friends while giving half hourly "only X hours until Final Fantasy VII Remake!" updates. Went to bed and dreamt about playing Final Fantasy VII Remake. Now I am getting out of bed so I can play Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

anakha posted:

One and a half hours into the game and my decision to buy a PS4 last December solely for this game is already feeling justified. :swoon:

Bwa ha ha ha, same. I was literally pre-buying for this in August and basically only played FFXV on it in that time.