Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
This thread is bringing back a lot of memories. My first programming job in like...1999 involved a lot of Perl. It was my daily driver for several years. I even used to answer questions on perlmonks.

I rarely use it now and have forgotten more than I once knew, but even so - if I need to quickly transform a text file into some other format, Perl is still the first thing I reach for. It's like a Marshall amp - it does ONE THING really, really, really well. But as a general purpose language? Eh. Way too many better options these days.

I'm most pissed about my regex skills rusting. I can still bust out a clever one from time to time, but I can no longer just spit out some JEDI poo poo on the first try. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU